Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return - Health Insurance

Options
  • 30-11-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭

I pay for health insurance myself and family.
    Is there tax relief to be claimed or is it already included in the premium I pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I pay for health insurance myself and family.
    Is there tax relief to be claimed or is it already included in the premium I pay?

Already included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Stopped at source, you were able to before now years ago, apparently the insurance companies do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Health insurance tax is deducted at source. That's good to know.

If I have medical expenses outside of my health cover (medications, procedures which aren't covered) can I claim the tax back on them at the end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Health insurance tax is deducted at source. That's good to know.

If I have medical expenses outside of my health cover (medications, procedures which aren't covered) can I claim the tax back on them at the end of the year?

Yes, at the 20% rate. I highly recommend downloading the Revenue Receipt Tracker app, you can scan/photograph all your receipts into it throughout the year and then when you go to do your tax return it’s all in there and you just have to confirm the return.

Edited to add: provided the scans or photos you add are good quality, it also means you don’t have to hold the receipts for years in case of an audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

nibtrix wrote: »
    Yes, at the 20% rate. I highly recommend downloading the Revenue Receipt Tracker app, you can scan/photograph all your receipts into it throughout the year and then when you go to do your tax return it’s all in there and you just have to confirm the return.

Edited to add: provided the scans or photos you add are good quality, it also means you don’t have to hold the receipts for years in case of an audit.
    Would it not do to have the record of them on a bank statement in the event that you get audited? It says it on my debit card "X Medical", "X Pharmacy", "X Dental". I always thought that would be sufficient. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Would it not do to have the record of them on a bank statement in the event that you get audited? It says it on my debit card "X Medical", "X Pharmacy", "X Dental". I always thought that would be sufficient. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn’t think so, you can get lots of things from pharmacies that you can’t claim the tax on, quite a lot of dental treatments aren’t claimable etc. I would imagine a proper receipt that includes details of what was purchased as well as the supplier (name of shop/doctor/dentist, address, etc) is required.

The receipt tracker is great, for any claimable expenses you can take a picture of the receipt straight after receiving it, add 2-3 lines of details (date, what type of claim ie general health, dental, etc., and a short memo line) and then chuck it in the bin and forget about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thanks for the heads up.

What if you are fond of buying perfume in the pharmacy. What if your dental expenses aren't claimable.

Advertisement