Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Ad on their website for broadband deal

• 16-11-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

The text says this exactly:
    Gigabit Fibre Broadband €29.99 a month for 12 months

I went on their webchat to find out more and he said to me its 54.99 for 1gb and 29.99 for 150mb.

Isnt a gigabit the same as 1gb?

He said it was up to 1gb but that's not what the ad says. Isn't that a complete lie, or am I misinterpreting something here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It clearly says on the website

Broadband & Landline
    €29.99
    A MONTH FOR 12 MONTHS
    Up to 150Mb Fibre
    Totally Unlimited Broadband
    Amazon Prime Video on us for a year!
    Our fastest WiFi with our new fibre box
    Unlimited Off-Peak local & national calls
    FREE eir sport pack
    12 month contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sesame wrote: »
    The text says this exactly:
    Gigabit Fibre Broadband €29.99 a month for 12 months

I went on their webchat to find out more and he said to me its 54.99 for 1gb and 29.99 for 150mb.

Isnt a gigabit the same as 1gb?

He said it was up to 1gb but that's not what the ad says. Isn't that a complete lie, or am I misinterpreting something here?

Run quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It clearly says on the website

But isn't that different to the front page ad?

Fair enough if the ad said "up to" but it doesn't.

Run quickly

I know I should, but.....pricewise its tempting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yeah it is weak-ass click bait tactics from them....they are calling 150Mb 'gigabit fibre'. Almost as if 'gigabit fibre' is a product and not a description of the speeds they will provide.
    It's failrly clear once you click through from the first link but it is still poor form, they must be getting desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

erm, i hate to side with them but ..... it is a description of the broadband technology.

Y'know fibre as opposed to DSL. Its not inaccurate, but it could be misleading id they were not very careful about the offering.

i used a different provider who offers 500mb on SIRO. So offering throttled speed for less price is not unique to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

erm, i hate to side with them but ..... it is a description of the broadband technology.

Y'know fibre as opposed to DSL. Its not inaccurate, but it could be misleading id they were not very careful about the offering.

I dunno....fibre implies fibre...gigabit implies 1Gb+ speeds to me. If they were trying to be open they would have called it 'fibre broadband' and then you see it is 150Mb when you click through.

Just my opinion, I'm sure they know what they can get away with without being scolded by advertising standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

When i was a teen i had a dispute with a customer who complained the 1/4 pounder didn't weigh 1/4 pound when cooked. :) ....

In the second post above they quote the text of what Eir are offering. I wont quote again, but its pretty clear. If your complaint is the description is clickbait advertising that's one thing, but if someone say they purchased and expected 1GB (without reading what they were buying) ... that's a different thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

533051.JPG

In my view it's completely misleading, they didnt have to include the Gigabit part.

Its like advertising a Happy meal from 50c* .. but it only includes fries

533053.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

When i was a teen i had a dispute with a customer who complained the 1/4 pounder didn't weigh 1/4 pound when cooked. :) ....

In the second post above they quote the text of what Eir are offering. I wont quote again, but its pretty clear. If your complaint is the description is clickbait advertising that's one thing, but if someone say they purchased and expected 1GB (without reading what they were buying) ... that's a different thing.

and this example has been used in the fast food industry for many years ...of how cantankerous some customers can be.

with broadband there seems to be a LOT of misinterpretation as to what the standard is or what the product should be, COMREG are great for resolving complaints with many a broadband supplier - if my memory is correct most if not all broadband suppliers have been before the courts due to complaints made to COMREG - often the customer doesn't know what they are getting and what questions they need to ask, most customers assume that the supplier will provide them with the best option for them - when the suppliers simply want the direct debit signed up.

I'm an Eir customer for about 3 or 4 yrs - in my experience its grand as long as you don't have an issue/problem, then it can be difficult to resolve unless you document everything and sometimes produce that evidence when they deny they made certain commitments etc.

• Advertisement

If I wasn't reading the small print and rang up I think this is what they are trying to do:

Me: Can I order the gigabit broadband for 29.99 a month please
    Them: Do you want 150mb or 1 gigabit.
    Me: The gigabit please
    Bill arrives for 54.99
    Then can't get through to change it.
    Its completely false advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I agree that based on that ad I'd expect 1Gb for €29.99, however it's not forming a contract until you place the order, at which point you were told. If you want to follow it up, you can complain to ASAI, but that will just mean they'll (eventually) take the ad down, not that you'll ever get 1Gb for €29.99

On the other hand, given that it's eir, just chalk it down as a lucky escape, and run far in the opposite direction.

Pls for your mental health and well being and I’m not saying this in jest, stay away,they had me wound up for weeks, and at gun point or bribery wouldn’t go near that shower for love or money

Thoie wrote: »
    I agree that based on that ad I'd expect 1Gb for €29.99, however it's not forming a contract until you place the order, at which point you were told. If you want to follow it up, you can complain to ASAI, but that will just mean they'll (eventually) take the ad down, not that you'll ever get 1Gb for €29.99

On the other hand, given that it's eir, just chalk it down as a lucky escape, and run far in the opposite direction.

Their customer care wouldn’t get a start in a gulag

Pls for your mental health and well being and I’m not saying this in jest, stay away,they had me wound up for weeks, and at gun point or bribery wouldn’t go near that shower for love or money

If I wasn't reading the small print and rang up I think this is what they are trying to do:

Me: Can I order the gigabit broadband for 29.99 a month please
    Them: Do you want 150mb or 1 gigabit.
    Me: The gigabit please
    Bill arrives for 54.99
    Then can't get through to change it.
    Its completely false advertising.

except the part where you have a 14 day cooling off period for distance selling - so you have 2 weeks to try make contact and cancel.

Often people say they can't get through when they mean they didn't put the effort in that is required - most people that complain usually gave up while trying, its a horrible thing to do sit and wait for a person on the other end of a line to fix an issue when it would appear they don't understand your issue or choose not to understand your issue.

to be fair to Eir - its NOT false advertising, its people making assumptions and then complaining when they themselves didn't understand what they were getting, its not rocket science to sign up to a broadband supplier and to know how much to expect to pay and when the bill should be expected.

- its not that hard to ask those questions when signing up, or to ask what the current deal is and can you have the deal, the person at the other end of the phone is usually trying to make a sale, doesn't matter what for as long as there is a sale made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

to be fair to Eir - its NOT false advertising, its people making assumptions and then complaining when they themselves didn't understand what they were getting, its not rocket science to sign up to a broadband supplier and to know how much to expect to pay and when the bill should be expected.

- its not that hard to ask those questions when signing up, or to ask what the current deal is and can you have the deal, the person at the other end of the phone is usually trying to make a sale, doesn't matter what for as long as there is a sale made.

WRONG

Under the Consumer Protection Act 2007, advertising is seen as misleading if it involves false, misleading or deceptive information that is likely to cause the average consumer to act in a way they might otherwise not. Advertising may also be considered misleading if important information that the average consumer needs to make an informed decision is left out.

533051.JPG

In this advert, Eir are trying to mislead the average customer that 1Gbs is what is available for 29.99.

They intentionally leave the Gigabit in to mislead the average punter.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    WRONG

Under the Consumer Protection Act 2007, advertising is seen as misleading if it involves false, misleading or deceptive information that is likely to cause the average consumer to act in a way they might otherwise not. Advertising may also be considered misleading if important information that the average consumer needs to make an informed decision is left out.

533051.JPG

In this advert, Eir are trying to mislead the average customer that 1Gbs is what is available for 29.99.

They intentionally leave the Gigabit in to mislead the average punter.

I assume all of those who say it’s intentionally misleading have already complained to comreg or are you just happy to complain on here and do nothing else.

I assume all of those who say it’s intentionally misleading have already complained to comreg or are you just happy to complain on here and do nothing else.

Yes, I did earlier today. First time ever! Hope I on't become one of those serial complainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

At least on here someone will actually read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

I can’t understand how anyone would even consider signing up for Eir given their appalling reputation in terms of customer service! I genuinely wouldn’t take their service even if they gave it to me for nothing ... I need my broadband to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

CC: 14/04/21 CASE REPORT Batch: 271 Ref: 36693 Product: Mobile

Complaint: A complaint from Virgin Media and two consumer complaints were received regarding various advertisements in the campaign.
    The complainants all considered that the advertising was misleading as it was promoting gigabit fibre broadband to describe all speeds within their fibre broadband portfolio. They felt it was misleading to state a “from” price of €29.99 when this price referred to 150mb broadband.

Conclusion: Complaints Upheld.
    The Complaints Committee considered the detail of the complaint and the advertisers’ response, including their comments that the campaign related to the company’s 100% Fibre to the Home network which was called eir Gigabit Fibre Network. However, they also noted that the advertising referred to Gigabit Fibre and Gigabit Fibre Broadband, with a lead in ‘from price’.
    The Committee noted that the Code provided that a claim could be direct or implied, written, verbal or visual and that the name of a product could constitute a claim (Section1.1(h)).

The Committee considered that consumers would understand a Gigabit product offering as one that would offer gigabit speeds, and as the product offered for the lead-in price of 29.99 was a lower speed, they considered the advertising was likely to be misleading and in breach of Code sections 4.1, 4.4 and 4.22 of the Code.

Action Required: The campaign must not appear in its current format again.

Shows what a joke the ASAI is.
    No cost, no fine, no censure, just take down the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

paddy19 wrote: »
    CC: 14/04/21 CASE REPORT Batch: 271 Ref: 36693 Product: Mobile

Complaint: A complaint from Virgin Media and two consumer complaints were received regarding various advertisements in the campaign.
    The complainants all considered that the advertising was misleading as it was promoting gigabit fibre broadband to describe all speeds within their fibre broadband portfolio. They felt it was misleading to state a “from” price of €29.99 when this price referred to 150mb broadband.

Conclusion: Complaints Upheld.
    The Complaints Committee considered the detail of the complaint and the advertisers’ response, including their comments that the campaign related to the company’s 100% Fibre to the Home network which was called eir Gigabit Fibre Network. However, they also noted that the advertising referred to Gigabit Fibre and Gigabit Fibre Broadband, with a lead in ‘from price’.
    The Committee noted that the Code provided that a claim could be direct or implied, written, verbal or visual and that the name of a product could constitute a claim (Section1.1(h)).

The Committee considered that consumers would understand a Gigabit product offering as one that would offer gigabit speeds, and as the product offered for the lead-in price of 29.99 was a lower speed, they considered the advertising was likely to be misleading and in breach of Code sections 4.1, 4.4 and 4.22 of the Code.

Shows what a joke the ASAI is.
    No cost, no fine, no censure, just take down the ad.

That's all they ever do.Its self regulation so costs are shared. They rarely issue fines Fines only issued if they company doesn't follow the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

"It's self regulation so costs are shared."

Not sure what this means.

Customer pays eventually whether it's government or self regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

November:
    Thoie wrote: »
    If you want to follow it up, you can complain to ASAI, but that will just mean they'll (eventually) take the ad down, not that you'll ever get 1Gb for €29.99.

May:

Wish I could predict the euromillions numbers so easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

"It's self regulation so costs are shared."

Not sure what this means.

Customer pays eventually whether it's government or self regulation.

Costs are shared amoung all the companies signed up to the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

Just to throw my 2 cent

https://www.eir.ie/gigabitfibre/

Clearly in this case the gigabit fiber broadband as offered relates to a 1Gb speed with the same wording as the OP

So I think he is correct and Comreg seem to agree too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

it not the first time they used misleading text, we all remember they plastered all the pages with unlimited broadband, absolutely no uses limits etc while having a FUP 1TB hidden in the T+C

If you enter you number on the check availability. the 29.99 per month package switch over to €59.99 for speeds up to 50mb/s

Advertisement