Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Bought these the other day, and I can confirm they are beautiful. Lovely from the fridge when they are cold.

what price lads ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Bought these the other day, and I can confirm they are beautiful. Lovely from the fridge when they are cold.

I go out of my way to buy the full sugar 2L bottles of that. Much better than any of the main brands an almost ⅓ of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone tried the Quick Fry Steaks with Hickory Smoked Chipotle Glaze (they didn't have any plain ones left)? On a scale of 1 to 10, how spicy are they?
    (I have a few wimps at home unfortunately who'll be giving out about anything over 3). :rolleyes:

We had these on Friday as Steak Sandwiches. Well Ciabattas really with caramelised onions and blue cheese. Nobody mentioned spicy at all, I'd have given them a 2 on the scale. They were lovely though. Did them on the bbq.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

bassy wrote: »
    what price lads ?.

I think they were €1.99 for 6 of them. Definitely a lovely drink and they will be on my list from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They've gone and changed the supplier of their Pringles lookalikes, and they're disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Alun wrote: »
    They've gone and changed the supplier of their Pringles lookalikes, and they're disgusting.

Ah feck, I just bought a tube today and was looking forward to them tonight. I noticed it was a new top alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Anyone know if the salted caramel brownie has been discounted have not seen them in my local Aldi the last few weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I saw them today in my local Aldi (Swords, Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They are much thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The specially selected Valencia orange ice lollies are lovely, a proper grown up ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The specially selected Valencia orange ice lollies are lovely, a proper grown up ice.

Is there an Aldi version of these?
    Used to get a Tesco finest version of these but they haven't been around since brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Is there an Aldi version of these?
    Used to get a Tesco finest version of these but they haven't been around since brexit

Yeah they're excellent, or at least were last time I had them

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-4-valencia-orange-lollies-4count-specially-selected/4088600109572

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I had half a tube of salt and vinegar the other night and was crippled with heart burn afterwards. Very strange as I've never gotten it from crisps before.

On a (semi) plus, the chilli tortillas have changed again.
    Spotted them the other day and figured I'd try again for less than 40c, if they were muck they were going in the bin.
    The texture is still a bit off, very hard for a crisp but the flavour is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't seen the aforementioned torchon ham in the last few visits to Aldi, hope they're not restocking it next....

In other news, they've added to their fries range, and they're doing both a Cajun and salt and pepper version of fries (bit like the skin on one's) and the Cajun one was a massive hit with my kids anyway, have restocked the chest freezer with another couple of bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

The specially selected maris piper wedges in the freezer are very good. Easily the best shop bought wedges I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

McMurphy wrote: »
    Haven't seen the aforementioned torchon ham in the last few visits to Aldi, hope they're not restocking it next

Back in stock in Sandyford branch this afternoon, look to be the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

McMurphy wrote: »
    Haven't seen the aforementioned torchon ham in the last few visits to Aldi, hope they're not restocking it next....

In other news, they've added to their fries range, and they're doing both a Cajun and salt and pepper version of fries (bit like the skin on one's) and the Cajun one was a massive hit with my kids anyway, have restocked the chest freezer with another couple of bags.

I got the salt and pepper version yesterday because there was none if the usual skin on in stock. Looking forward to trying them during the week

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aldi used to do these Plant Menu vegan burgers in the same fridge as the hummus etc, but I haven't seen them in a few months now. Anyone seen them in their Aldi recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

awec wrote: »
    Aldi used to do these Plant Menu vegan burgers in the same fridge as the hummus etc, but I haven't seen them in a few months now. Anyone seen them in their Aldi recently?
    Do you mean the beetroot, sweet potato etc. ones? Yes, I've seen them recently but it's a bit hit and miss. Mind you my local Aldi don't seem to have the foggiest notion as to what stock control is, nor do they pay much attention to putting stuff in the right place on the shelves. If the space they're supposed to go in is full, they just feck it into any old space.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you mean the beetroot, sweet potato etc. ones? Yes, I've seen them recently but it's a bit hit and miss. Mind you my local Aldi don't seem to have the foggiest notion as to what stock control is, nor do they pay much attention to putting stuff in the right place on the shelves. If the space they're supposed to go in is full, they just feck it into any old space.

No they weren't the beetroot or sweet potato ones.

There were, er, fake meat? I dunno what was in them, I'm not vegan so never bother checking the ingredients.

165036_aldiiamveganquarterpounderspackshot_927932_crop.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Only seen the frozen, "no beef" burgers for a while. Very nice as are the "no sausage" rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Most of Aldi's frozen vegetarian ready meals and burgers are reduced by €1-€1.50 at the moment. I presume it's nationwide as they have proper SELs.

The above was mentioned a few pages back. Aldi might be discontinuing some of the vegan/vegetarian lines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

.red. wrote: »
    The specially selected maris piper wedges in the freezer are very good. Easily the best shop bought wedges I've tried.

They're phenomenonal. I've been pairing them with the ribeye steaks the past few months and it's a serious one-two combo. Making it as I type, actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Saint Etienne French beer is very nice. Around 12 euro for 12 cans. Goes down well. 4.8percent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Grainne's Carrott Cake €1.99
    One of the nicest shop bought carrot cakes I have ever tasted - moist and not too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Antares35 wrote: »
    Saint Etienne French beer is very nice. Around 12 euro for 12 cans. Goes down well. 4.8percent. :)

Their Kortenhoef stuff is even nicer. Sold in an 8 pack for around €7.85.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

The Lilt knockoff, Tropical Blast Zero in the cans is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Their Kortenhoef stuff is even nicer. Sold in an 8 pack for around €7.85.

I must check these out. They appear to be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

We bought a lovely apple cake there yesterday. I think it's called Graínne's? It's in a rectangular box..it's nicely filling (quite heavy) and is moist which I find unusual for a pre-packed cake. Lovely apple pieces in it, and a nice sugary coating on the top, without being too sweet. We've half it gone already :D

Can't post pic but here is a link that shows it

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-apple-crumble-cake-400g-grainnes/4088600269337

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

We bought a lovely apple cake there yesterday. I think it's called Graínne's? It's in a rectangular box..it's nicely filling (quite heavy) and is moist which I find unusual for a pre-packed cake. Lovely apple pieces in it, and a nice sugary coating on the top, without being too sweet. We've half it gone already :D

Can't post pic but here is a link that shows it

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-apple-crumble-cake-400g-grainnes/4088600269337

That is lovely. Finish it tomorrow though as the top goes off fairly quickly. It's still perfect but the odd bits of green have to be picked off if it's left for more than a day.

Advertisement