Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Rum/Ron/Rhum are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

grizzcol2 wrote: »
    folks - apart from the celtic whiskey shop is there any other place in ireland that has what might be considered a good range of rum to select / buy from ? (now that its harder / more expensive to purchase from uk)

The Vineyard in Belfast has a good selection. Can't see their shipping info though.

https://www.vineyardbelfast.co.uk/search?q=rum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,229 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    Trying some Doorleys XO Rum tonight.

Interesting Cognac \ Brandy and Rum seem to go for the XO labelling?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've done a bottle by bottle.search on drink store before, but I don't recall the rum selection being that wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭limnam

I came across a few bottles on james fox when I was looking for cigars.

I don't know enough to know if any of them are of interest

https://jamesfox.ie/collections/rums

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'd really like another bottle of Cacique 500, but it doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere.

I keep seeing ads for Spain-based retailers offering it for 20-25 euro, which would be a good price depending on shipping, even factoring in paying customs and excise.

Has anyone ever done it that way?

Tesco have reductions on Havana Club:
    * Havana Club Anejo Especial Rum €24 (save €5)
    * Havana Club 7 Year Old Dark Rum €33 (save €7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd really like another bottle of Cacique 500, but it doesn't seem to be stocked anywhere.

I keep seeing ads for Spain-based retailers offering it for 20-25 euro, which would be a good price depending on shipping, even factoring in paying customs and excise.

Has anyone ever done it that way?

Is it a place called gourmet en casa per chance? I ordered a bottle of Brugal through them last year, only after they gave me a ups tracking number that didn't exist did I look up their trust pilot score to see a load of people complaining that they never got their order and couldn't get any response from the seller. I wrote the €25 off at that point but strangely enough it actually turned up about a month later. I wouldn't go near them again though.

I've been drinking Gosling's Black Seal since that bottle of Brugal ran out which I'm finding a pretty decent substitute, I can get it down the road in Dunnes too.

That's great to know about Gosling's. I find rum a minefield so I'm always wary about dropping money on it for fear of disappointment.

I'll pick that up on my next trip to St Bernard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They sell it in Cornelscourt but not in the Dunnes next to me so might only be in the places with a big off licence.

• Advertisement

They sell it in Cornelscourt but not in the Dunnes next to me so might only be in the places with a big off licence.

Herself works on Pottery Road so she can swerve in to the Mothership on the way home some everning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's great to know about Gosling's. I find rum a minefield so I'm always wary about dropping money on it for fear of disappointment.

I'll pick that up on my next trip to St Bernard.

It is an absolute minefield and you never know if it's been sweetened or not. I've even bought rum that I am convinced was flavoured but it wasn't mentioned on the bottle - Pyrat.
    I'd avoid it if you come across it.

People think rum is always sweet because they view it as "made from sugar", while true, technically, it's also, essentially rubbish as all alcohol is made from sugar.

It is an absolute minefield and you never know if it's been sweetened or not. I've even bought rum that I am convinced was flavoured but it wasn't mentioned on the bottle - Pyrat.
    I'd avoid it if you come across it.

People think rum is always sweet because they view it as "made from sugar", while true, technically, it's also, essentially rubbish as all alcohol is made from sugar.

I will get to a review soon, but the guy on from Bristol Rums was a delight and full of enlightenment. The flavour profiles of the samples was so refreshing in the sense that it showed the range of sweetness to tart to spice.

It's what makes the Flaviar tasting boxes so tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭grizzcol2

Has anyone used Flaviar post Brexit?

I will get to a review soon, but the guy on from Bristol Rums was a delight and full of enlightenment. The flavour profiles of the samples was so refreshing in the sense that it showed the range of sweetness to tart to spice.

It's what makes the Flaviar tasting boxes so tempting.

I cancelled my Flavair subscription last month. The concept is nice but the value for money just isn't there at all.

Has anyone used Flaviar post Brexit?

I haven't yet as I paused mine til May.

Stuff comes in from Slovakia though so shouldn't be unduly bothered.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I cancelled my Flavair subscription last month. The concept is nice but the value for money just isn't there at all.

It's barely there. But you have to be patient with selections.

I was gonna cancel but I do have 15euro credit on my account that I wanna use at some point. A pause will do for now.

• Advertisement

I'd nearly prefer it if you didn't have to get the larger bottle as I think they inflate the value of it.

They offer you an extra tasting box free if you try to cancel too, fyi.

My mate did well out of it getting the lies of a Lag16 one of the months.

There's always potential. Sure we'll see in May.

I haven't yet as I paused mine til May.

Stuff comes in from Slovakia though so shouldn't be unduly bothered.

It's barely there. But you have to be patient with selections.

I was gonna cancel but I do have 15euro credit on my account that I wanna use at some point. A pause will do for now.

would expect ppl to still be hit with excise duty as it comes into the country?

Bought an Appleton rare blend 12 year old. Been a while, I had one a few years ago.

There are many interesting sipping rum choices out there ... but honestly it doesn’t get much better than this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

So had a 50 euro gift voucher from work so went online and picked up this last week

https://wineonline.ie/collections/rum/products/havana-club-seleccion-des-maestros-rum

had a sip last night and would recommend it nice and smooth

• Advertisement

It looks nice, but I’m surprised they’re saying 45% abv is barrel proof or extra oomph.

recyclops wrote: »
    So had a 50 euro gift voucher from work so went online and picked up this last week

https://wineonline.ie/collections/rum/products/havana-club-seleccion-des-maestros-rum

had a sip last night and would recommend it nice and smooth
    It looks nice, but I’m surprised they’re saying 45% abv is barrel proof or extra oomph.

As far as I can make out, this used to be actually called Barrel Proof. I use to pick it up when going through airports (remember that!!). I probably had 3 litres of it over time. Then they changed the name and increased the price by quite a lot, iirc.:mad:
    Lovely drop, though.

limnam wrote: »
    Made my first Rum purchase outside Havana.

First bet placed is on Flor de Cana 25 Year Old Centenario

Will be coming out tonight after dinner.

So this is finished :o

Quickest bottle of anything I've drank in a long time.

Went especially well with some dried figs.

Any recommendations for my next bottle ?

So this is finished :o

Quickest bottle of anything I've drank in a long time.

Went especially well with some dried figs.

Any recommendations for my next bottle ?

What did you go for in the end?

Gonna crack into some Gosling's tomorrow I reckon.

Flor de Cána is a bit tasty given there's some Kilkerran on the go as well.

What did you go for in the end?

Gonna crack into some Gosling's tomorrow I reckon.

Flor de Cána is a bit tasty given there's some Kilkerran on the go as well.

Didn't get anything yet. I'll have a look around celtic whiskey tonight I'd say and see if anything jumps out

Was in CWS yesterday picking up my Kilkerran. Had hoped to pick up some Gosling's Black Seal. But they only had the 151 proof in stock. Same with Foxes.

Completely forgot it might be in Dunnes. Just copped that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Was in CWS yesterday picking up my Kilkerran. Had hoped to pick up some Black Seal. But they only had the 151 proof

Picked up a 30ml sample of the 151 proof. Have drank 71% new make before but I'm wondering how do people approach a 75.5% rum. Do you sip it neat or mix it?

Picked up a 30ml sample of the 151 proof. Have drank 71% new make before but I'm wondering how do people approach a 75.5% rum. Do you sip it neat or mix it?

I'd be going in neat, then rocks and then water I guess.

You're a dab hand at this boozing lark at this stage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I have a Jamaican friend who puts it on his corn flakes if that helps? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sat down to have a coke in the garden and said you know what I could rum that up.

Perfect day for it.

• Advertisement

I'd be going in neat, then rocks and then water I guess.

You're a dab hand at this boozing lark at this stage. :)

Neat sounds good. My rum experience doesn't stretch much further than double Bacardi and coke back in the day.

I have a Jamaican friend who puts it on his corn flakes if that helps? :)

A wee drop of whiskey in porridge is nice on a cold morning so not too far off.

Finally got around to picking up some Gosling's in Dunnes today. (€32)

attachment.php?attachmentid=551244&d=1619279615

Using this as my base to measure all others against as we continue this journey on. That being said, the freezer went on the fritz this morning and I've no ice now. So not ideal. But it is TBF, a lovely sipper as it stands. A lot sweeter than I expected which is welcomed. Was worried it would be too harsh. And with no ice, I'm glad of it. Ideal for sitting out with.

Happy with that purchase anyway.

Got a delivery from TinyTipple - really looking forward to trying the Diplomatico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Got a delivery from TinyTipple - really looking forward to trying the Diplomatico

How much did those 4 set you back?

incl Delivery about 45 quid
    Diplomatic was 14
    Ron Zacapa was 10.5
    the other two were 7.5

Found myself over in Aldi Newland's X this evening and they had a hape of the Salvado. It's very nice. There's that infamous rubbery aftertaste that I've only ever had with the less sweeter stuff I tried like Bristol.

Really impressed with it and will be picking up another bottle of it when I get a chance.

Fair dues to all at Blackwater and here's to better selections of rum in the big chains going forward

Picked up a bottle of Salvado earlier. Looking forward to opening it.

It should come with a health warning. It's dangerously drinkable!

• Advertisement

With the NFL draft on tonight, I can see it being murdered.

Jumping on the Salvado bandwagon.

Picked up a couple of bottles in Aldi

Had it neat with some dried figs and in a mojito and enjoyed both immensely.

I'll grab a few more. Whats the plan for this beer will we see it in the stores for sometime to come or is it fairly limited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i picked up the last bottle of Salvado in Aldi. bottle looks great.

opened it up last night and i was disappointed. The taste reminds me of Sea Dog Dark Rum. It has very strong flavour that overpower the palate.
    To each his own, and all that! if you have ever tried sea dog and liked it this might be the rum for you. But for me, its a no thanks.

to sum up, it is a light coloured spiced rum, but tasted like dark rum. Id rather drink 'captain cook' or 'old hopkins' rums which are the generic aldi and lidl spiced rums. Even swamped in coke it left a taste in my mouth that i didnt like.

If im honest coke on its own would have been nicer.

I'll grab a few more. Whats the plan for this beer will we see it in the stores for sometime to come or is it fairly limited?

It's a one off for now.
    But Boyle's Gin was originally a one off, too.

to sum up, it is a light coloured spiced rum, but tasted like dark rum. .

Salvado is NOT spiced.
    I wouldn't describe it as light, either, but that's subjective.

Cazale wrote:

It should come with a health warning. It's dangerously drinkable!

The missus is away for a couple of nights so I'm home alone. For some strange reason I decided to do a bit of work in the house and have the Salvado open in the kitchen so I've been having a sneaky sip of it in between jobs. It's a lovely drop and as you say dangerously drinkable. As the day has progressed I've been doing sneaky jobs in between rums! I will have to pick another bottle.

• Advertisement

The missus is away for a couple of nights so I'm home alone. For some strange reason I decided to do a bit of work in the house and have the Salvado open in the kitchen so I've been having a sneaky sip of it in between jobs. It's a lovely drop and as you say dangerously drinkable. As the day has progressed I've been doing sneaky jobs in between rums! I will have to pick another bottle.

Was sipping away at it last night watching Mad Men. Kept going for just one more episode, one more glass. Ideal show to watch while sipping. New bottle required today when the paracetamol kicks in!

You missed your calling as a navy or pirate deck hand :)

just picked up a bottle of it in Aldi Belgard (loads in stock there) - looking forward to trying it later

while following beer's recommendations I don't think he's ever steered me wrong and no exception here.

Plantation 20th Anniversary XO Rum.

This is sweeter than my reference point. Flor De Cana 25yo. Not as balanced or
    as complex. While it's not as balanced the sweetness is just about right for my tastes. Apparently it's spent it's last few years in Cognac casks and that's very identifiable on the nose.

Some really nice notes mango/pineapple/overly ripe banana/caramel with hints of spice. There's mention of coconut on the tasting notes but I don't get any of that.

Enjoying some Salvado with a bit of hummus and manchego watching the Liverpool match. Picked up another bottle of it today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement