Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import two pallets from China - asking the right questions

Options
  • 27-04-2021 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all

I know this question gets asked a lot so apologies. I did read several long posts but this ones slightly different. In that I'm ordering from a US company who ships Ocean Freight from China.

Im ordering a computer workstation pod/chair. Called Imperator works IW-R1. It can be used for gaming, I'm planning on using it for work from home as my back/neck are in a bad way and it reclines to zero gravity. It weights pretty hefty. Two pallets one 140lbs, one 450lbs.

The company has stated they will cover all duty taxes and shipping door to door. Normally they would just ship from a warehouse in England but due to Brexit that's a no. So it's coming from China and I'm trying to avoid any unexpected surprises. It's already a high cost item as is.

So I asked them what type of shipping method do they use for Ocean Freight. I also asked specifically did it include the below. He said everything except VAT which is already 23 percent I didnt know about!:
    A) Unloading
    B) Terminal Handling
    C) Agency fee
    D) China Import Service Fee
    E) Port Security / ISPS
    F) CAF
    G) Other fees/Levy/Import Duty/TAX-VAT

Is there anything else I should be asking these guys. They did offer to ship to Dublin port for a lower fee. I presume I would then be paying all of the above charges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

pugleon wrote: »
    Hi all

I know this question gets asked a lot so apologies. I did read several long posts but this ones slightly different. In that I'm ordering from a US company who ships Ocean Freight from China.

Im ordering a computer workstation pod/chair. Called Imperator works IW-R1. It can be used for gaming, I'm planning on using it for work from home as my back/neck are in a bad way and it reclines to zero gravity. It weights pretty hefty. Two pallets one 140lbs, one 450lbs.

The company has stated they will cover all duty taxes and shipping door to door. Normally they would just ship from a warehouse in England but due to Brexit that's a no. So it's coming from China and I'm trying to avoid any unexpected surprises. It's already a high cost item as is.

So I asked them what type of shipping method do they use for Ocean Freight. I also asked specifically did it include the below. He said everything except VAT which is already 23 percent I didnt know about!:
    A) Unloading
    B) Terminal Handling
    C) Agency fee
    D) China Import Service Fee
    E) Port Security / ISPS
    F) CAF
    G) Other fees/Levy/Import Duty/TAX-VAT

Is there anything else I should be asking these guys. They did offer to ship to Dublin port for a lower fee. I presume I would then be paying all of the above charges.

Hello Pugleon,

If your supplier can cover A to G and the price is acceptable, then I would recommend to go for it. As your supplier advised under DDP terms, he pays the duty, the VAT is for your risk and account. Bear in mind that since Brexit, and provided your company is VAT and EORI registered, you can avail of "postponed accounting" effectively deferring the VAT to your periodic VAT return (you accrue the liability and at the same time claim a deductible), so there would be no outlay.

But, and here come several "Buts" ......

1. You have to make absolutely sure that he covers all charges A-G, excluding the VAT. Otherwise any of these charges would kill the deal.
    2. Whilst you use the terms DDP = Delivered Duty Paid, make sure indeed it includes the delivery to your door.
    3. Depending on where your supplier is based, and assuming they will use Ocean freight from China, it could take between 45 upto 60 days for your shipment to arrive in Dublin. If you are told they can do it faster than that, please post again and give us the details of the carrier they claim can manage to do it faster .......

In order to compare, you could consider asking your supplier;

1. An FOB (Free On BOard) price + nearest shipping port
    2. The weights and dimensions of the two parcels

And then check out shipping arrangements through an Irish freight forwarder. Bear in mind, shipping from China is quite challenging, delays are inevitable (it was already difficult BEFORE the Ever Given ran aground in the Suez Canal).

All things considered, would it perhaps be an option to source a different supplier that ships from another EU member state?

If you require any further information / assistance, by all means post again or send me a pm.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Thanks Rudolf. I sent you a PM there had a few more questions. Hope you can answer. Cheers!

Advertisement