Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best driving route recommendations from Sligo to Templemore?

Options
  • 24-11-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Not necessarily looking for the fastest route, more looking for the easiest drive?

So if there’s a route that’s 2 hours longer but a much better road, all motorway, less turn offs etc this is what I’m looking for.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

According to Google Maps, and traffic permitting, going via Dublin/M50 is about 4 hours and the more direct Roscommon/Athlone/Birr route is about 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Up through the midlands and Roscommon is definitely the easiest way. A lot of the road has been improved and depending on the time of day will be quiet enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

road_high wrote: »
    Up through the midlands and Roscommon is definitely the easiest way. A lot of the road has been improved and depending on the time of day will be quiet enough

You could go to Tuam, M17 to Athenry, M6 then N56 to Templemore but to be honest the amount of motorway wouldn't convince me it'd be much easier than just doing N4 to Boyle, N61 to Athlone, N62 rest of the way. The worst part of the road will be Boyle to Tulsk. But factor in some more time and you won't have any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

rizzodun wrote: »
    You could go to Tuam, M17 to Athenry, M6 then N56 to Templemore but to be honest the amount of motorway wouldn't convince me it'd be much easier than just doing N4 to Boyle, N61 to Athlone, N62 rest of the way. The worst part of the road will be Boyle to Tulsk. But factor in some more time and you won't have any issue.

Thank you all for your replies. I half considered this way above but I was thinking more on the lines of Sligo to Tuam (as I know the road well) taking the motorway to limerick and then the motorway from limerick to templemore. Am I way off with that thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thank you all for your replies. I half considered this way above but I was thinking more on the lines of Sligo to Tuam (as I know the road well) taking the motorway to limerick and then the motorway from limerick to templemore. Am I way off with that thought?

You're putting 100km onto your journey just to avoid maybe 30 to 40 km of less than desirable road.

In my humble opinion that's madness, the road from Boyle to Tulsk is not much worse than the road from Collooney to Charlestown.

In the end though, whatever you're comfortable with, leaving slightly earlier and taking your time would be a better option imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement