Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Time Under Joe: The Numbers

Options
  • 23-03-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

When Joe Schmidt first became Irish coach he spoke of how critical it would be for us to develop depth across the park if we were to be successful, so I have gone and had a look at the game time per position over the course of his tenure. In total, we have played 18 games under Joe so far, which has been enough games for him to look at several different players per position. I have broken it down to be position specific so it's easier to see what positions game time has been more divided than others.

Key = Start(Sub)

Loosehead
    • Jack McGrath 8(8), Cian Healy 8(4), David Kilcoyne 2(2), James Cronin 0(2)

Hooker
    • Rory Best 16(0), Sean Cronin 1(15), Richardt Strauss 1(1), Damian Varley 0(1), Rob Herring 0(1)

Tighthead
    • Mike Ross 18(0), Martin Moore 0(10), Rodney Ah You 0(3), Declan Fitzpatrick 0(2), Steven Archer 0(1), Jack McGrath 0(1)

Second Row
    • Devon Toner 16(2), Paul O'Connell 15(1), Mike McCarthy 2(3), Ian Henderson 1(7), Dave Foley 1(1), Dan Tuohy 1(1)

Blindside Flanker
    • Peter O'Mahony 14(0), Ian Henderson 1(2), Rhys Ruddock 1(1), Dominic Ryan 1(0), Robbie Diack 1(0), Kevin McLaughlin 0(2)

Openside Flanker
    • Chris Henry 8(0), Sean O'Brien 6(1), Tommy O'Donnell 2(4), Rhys Ruddock 2(0)

Number 8
    • Jamie Heaslip 14(1), Jordi Murphy 3(6), Robbie Diack 1(0), Robin Copeland 0(1)

Scrum Half
    • Conor Murray 15(1), Eoin Reddan 3(7), Isaac Boss 0(4), Kieran Marmion 0(3)

Out Half
    • Johnny Sexton 15(0), Ian Madigan 1(13), Paddy Jackson 1(4), Ian Keatley 1(1)

Centre
    • Gordon D'Arcy 8(0), Brian O'Driscoll 8(0), Robbie Henshaw 7(1), Jared Payne 6(0), Darren Cave 3(0), Luke Marshall 3(0), Fergus McFadden 1(3), Stuart Olding 0(1), Noel Reid 0(1)

Wing
    • Tommy Bowe 10(0), Simon Zebo 9(0), Andrew Trimble 7(0), Dave Kearney 6(1), Fergus McFadden 2(3), Luke Fitzgerald 1(1), Craig Gilroy 1(0)

Fullback
    • Rob Kearney 16(0), Felix Jones 2(4)

Total Players Capped: 56
    • Leinster: 24
    • Ulster: 15
    • Munster: 13
    • Connacht: 3
    • Racing Metro: 1

Newly Capped Players: 14
    • Jack McGrath, James Cronin, Rob Herring, Martin Moore, Rodney Ah You, Dave Foley, Robbie Diack, Dominic Ryan, Jordi Murphy, Robin Copeland, Kieran Marmion, Jared Payne, Noel Reid, Dave Kearney

In total Joe has capped 56 different players. No doubt injuries have played a role in this but that is still an impressively high number of players to cap, while still being highly successful in the process. When looked at per position, apart from fullback there have been at least four players capped in each position, which shows that Joe has been successful in building depth across the squad. However it means that nearly half of the players used by Joe will be left out of the world cup squad. It is also impressive to see a massive fourteen new caps, which works out as 0.78 new caps per game.

On top of all the players capped, there have been further players, such as Earls, Bent and White who have all been involved in training as well as the Emerging Ireland tours which have taken place. In the past Joe has specifically spoken about how the purpose those tours was to allow players on the periphery of the squad to become accustomed to the different structures and systems used by the first team. I am sure that these have been useful for the players involved.

While Joe has done a great job of developing depth, there is still some way to go. He has started Mike Ross in every game, and despite bringing on five different tight heads from the bench, we would still be playing an inexperienced player if Ross was to get injured. Furthermore I think we lack an out and out 12. Don't get me wrong, Henshaw was excellent there for us during the six nations and he and Payne have built a solid partnership but with D'Arcy getting on we don't really have a viable alternative at the moment. These are both things I hope Joe looks at during the world cup warm up games.

What do you think? Is there anything else Joe could have done or should do prior to the world cup to develop depth?

*****Disclaimer: Putting in the substitute appearances was a bit subjective, for example, against Australia in 2013, Henshaw first came on as a blood sub for BOD in the centre, yet later came on permanently at full back for Kearney. Likewise, Jones often came on for centres during the six nations, yet there was a backline reshuffling, so for simplistic purposes I put all his appearances at fullback. So as a result, it may not be 100% accurate. It is also possible that I made mistakes, although I double checked everything******

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Slow day at work?
    Interesting to see the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Slow day at work?
    Interesting to see the numbers.

Avoiding my college assignments more like ;) It only took me about half an hour or so anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Interesting thanks for that. Id cut him some slack on the 12 thing because he moved us forward in a way nobody really expected by blooding Henshaw there, and unless we go back to D'Arcy there are no realistic options at all really

My main complaint would be 3 as you said, Moore could definitely have done with a start at some point, and if Ross gets injured we are going in very cold, although admittedly Moore is regularly getting a lot of time off the bench

I also think we have a big problem at 15 with Kearney injured, and although in Joe's mind Jones is probably more than ready for that, I can't say I share whatever he clearly sees in Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sean Cronin. 1 start, 15 sub appearances... Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Tox56 wrote: »
    Interesting thanks for that. Id cut him some slack on the 12 thing because he moved us forward in a way nobody really expected by blooding Henshaw there, and unless we go back to D'Arcy there are no realistic options at all really

My main complaint would be 3 as you said, Moore could definitely have done with a start at some point, and if Ross gets injured we are going in very cold, although admittedly Moore is regularly getting a lot of time off the bench

I also think we have a big problem at 15 with Kearney injured, and although in Joe's mind Jones is probably more than ready for that, I can't say I share whatever he clearly sees in Jones

When I spoke about 12 being an issue, that wasn't a criticism of Joe, more just an acknowledgement that it's going to be a challenging position to deal with for Joe. In fact Joe has handled it very well, no one saw Henshaw as the answer to who would be first choice, and I thought before the South Africa game that it wouldn't work but it has. It's just that at this point, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in any of the alternatives.

I guess tighthead has been an interesting one. I agree it would have been great for Moore to have gotten a start by now but there has never really been a time. He was injured during the summer, injured during the autumn and has only been available during both six nations, which Joe always went with first choice players for. I reckon Moore will get a couple of starts during the warm ups and start against the weakest team in our world cup pool (I'm blanking on who that is).

That's true about 15 as well. I would like to see Payne there if Rob got injured, but that would cause problems in our centre, which going back to my previous point, a top class 12 would solve the problem as Henshaw could be moved to 13. I would also consider going with Dave Kearney if he had been getting any provincial game time there, which he hasn't. So there isn't really any choice other than Jones, and I reckon Joe recognises that, hence Jones getting game time. It's easier said than done though to develop depth and I think Joe has done as well as is realistically possible with the players at his disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd like to see Luke or Earls get a run at 13 during one of the warmups, so that if Kearney gets injured we can move Payne to FB and slot one of the former 2 into the centre.

I'd be very curious as to who he sees as the 2nd choice 12. Though when Trimble comes back, Tommy Bowe could be a shout here, if he likes all of the outside 5 to offer a kick-chase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Luke or Earls get a run at 13 during one of the warmups, so that if Kearney gets injured we can move Payne to FB and slot one of the former 2 into the centre.

I'd be very curious as to who he sees as the 2nd choice 12. Though when Trimble comes back, Tommy Bowe could be a shout here, if he likes all of the outside 5 to offer a kick-chase?

Olding when fit and firing is the most talented back I've seen since Fitz early days. He will definitely be one of the first names to partner henshaw.

But prob not in time for wc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For all the talk of Payne's attacking capabilities he's a bit of a liability in the air and I can't see him displacing Kearney for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For all the talk of Payne's attacking capabilities he's a bit of a liability in the air and I can't see him displacing Kearney for that reason.

He was bloody lucky to stay on the pitch at the weekend. He contested in the air but when it was lost, he grabbed and pulled the Scottish player down while he was still off the ground. It was a nervous moment. I honestly believe that if it was another referee, he'd have been given a yellow but the history between Garces and Payne played a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    He was bloody lucky to stay on the pitch at the weekend. He contested in the air but when it was lost, he grabbed and pulled the Scottish player down while he was still off the ground. It was a nervous moment. I honestly believe that if it was another referee, he'd have been given a yellow but the history between Garces and Payne played a part.

Thought that myself. If anything the incident was worse than the one where he got sent off. Not that I'm saying for a minute he should have got a red but he was lucky not to have got yellow.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »

I think Olding still has a part to play in all of this but assuming he gets a start in August he will have to grab it with both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Madigan?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Schmidt likes his backs to be around 14st and 6"+

So guys like Olding pretty probably won't fit in.

If one of the centres got injured I could imagine Darce or McFadden being brought in... Mcfadden's kick chase and aerial superiority would probably clinch it.

Or Luke or earls might be moved in there.

Madigan?

Dont see him as a realistic option to start at 12 in an international of any importance. Hes definitely not going to do that long term, and short term I'd much rather Olding gets whatever gametime is available instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Had the final squad been announced before or after Olding got injured? One of my favourite young players, though I wonder if he'd have got a game even if he was fit - given how Joe likes to keep the team as constant as possible.

.ak wrote: »

If one of the centres got injured I could imagine Darce or McFadden being brought in... Mcfadden's kick chase and aerial superiority would probably clinch it.

Has there ever been a time where it looked like that height/weight was an expectation or demand at all? Its pretty hard to think of any backs who are in the Irish picture who are smaller than that, Earls and Olding have never really been options under Schmidt due to injury and BOD and Darce were automatic starters, and Madigan/Jackson/Keatley are always picked. Pretty much every Irish centre and back 3 player otherwise is 6' or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Also Schmidt seemed to be a big fan of EOM who isn't massive.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Also Schmidt seemed to be a big fan of EOM who isn't massive.

Well that's club rugby.

Has there ever been a time where it looked like that height/weight was an expectation or demand at all? Its pretty hard to think of any backs who are in the Irish picture who are smaller than that, Earls and Olding have never really been options under Schmidt due to injury and BOD and Darce were automatic starters, and Madigan/Jackson/Keatley are always picked. Pretty much every Irish centre and back 3 player otherwise is 6' or above.

I think he's had the opportunity to pick smaller players, definitely. It's easy to say with hindsight that henshaw and Payne are automatic picks but in reality in autumn there were other smaller players at his disposal but he went with the bigger taller guys. It's easy to see why too. They're basically all big fullbacks when the ball goes in the air.

I think he's had the opportunity to pick smaller players, definitely. It's easy to say with hindsight that henshaw and Payne are automatic picks but in reality in autumn there were other smaller players at his disposal but he went with the bigger taller guys. It's easy to see why too. They're basically all big fullbacks when the ball goes in the air.

Who though? If he wasn't going to pick Darce you're down to Olding and Madigan, and at the time at least I don't think size was the reason they weren't starting. There was an element of wanting physicality in the 12 channel sure, but also of getting our best players on the park, and I don't think it would have made a difference if Madigan or Olding 6' or 6'1 instead of 5'11 given where they were in their careers at the time, especially given Darce started the next game in Payne's absence. Thinking about it Schmidt picked the relatively short L Marshall a good bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Bah Joe is overrated, PSA has much more player rotation going on than this paltry amount!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

munster010.jpg

Did somebody mention big centers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are any of those over 6'? How has McCloskey been doing recently?

He is on the naughty step at the minute, before that he was injured but did play a couple of games between his injury and suspension and was very good. One game in particular he came off the bench in a game at Ravenhill (can't remember the opposition) and tore them to shreds with his running. He is someone who could definitely come into Joe's plans post WC, (he certainly fits .aks criteria!) but not before.

bilston wrote: »
    He is on the naughty step at the minute before that he was injured but didnplay a couple.of games between his injury and suspension and was very good. One game in particular he came off the bench in a game at Ravenhill (can't remember the opposition) and tore them to shreds with his running. He is someone who could definitely come into Joe's plans post WC, (he certainly fits .aks criteria!) but not before.

He has great hands for a big lad. Prob due to the fact that he was a scrum half most of his younger days until he took a 'minor' growth spurt!

Olding is no lightweight. After his last injury he really put the muscle on. He reminds me of D'arcy in terms of build

Olding is 5"11" i believe. Big Mc is 6"3" or 6"4"

Who though? If he wasn't going to pick Darce you're down to Olding and Madigan, and at the time at least I don't think size was the reason they weren't starting. There was an element of wanting physicality in the 12 channel sure, but also of getting our best players on the park, and I don't think it would have made a difference if Madigan or Olding 6' or 6'1 instead of 5'11 given where they were in their careers at the time, especially given Darce started the next game in Payne's absence. Thinking about it Schmidt picked the relatively short L Marshall a good bit too.

Mcfadden, Olding, Earls, Madigan are all under 5'11" which makes a big difference. And to be honest I don't believe those stats, Madigan is no taller than me and I'm 5'9" at best.

There's also other options like JJ, Cave, Reid, Keatley etc., etc.

Now, these may seem like strange choices, but like I said, try to remove ourselves from our current situation. A few months ago Henshaw had a few token caps and Payne had none. The announcement of Henshaw at 12 and Payne at 13 was considered very experimental at the time. So it wasn't like they were more experienced or even better than guys like the above. For me, I think he sees the way modern centres are going; guys like Fickou, Fofana, Basteraud, Burrell, Davies, Roberts etc are all big guys, tall and hefty, and presumably good in the air and good with the boot. It means that you're not limiting your midfield to guys who are purely there for distribution. Bigger guys offer a better running threat for dummy lines, but also they can compete in the air, and can return kicks, which is instrumental to Schmidt's game plan at times. Defensively having big units like Henshaw and Payne in midfield has clearly paid off - Basteraud barely got a sniff of a midfield break.

The beauty is these guys are outrageously skilled as well, so I don't think they're there to be big league-style lumps, and we've yet to see them at their full potential - hopefully we're patient with them.

The point is I can't see guys like Olding or Madigan ever playing there bar injury.

McCloskey for me is the future. I hope to see him in green in less than 4 years. He's ideally suited to the modern game, the complete package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

What about the big lad down in Grenoble? he done anything recently after scoring that try?

I know Jackman said on radio before that Joe was aware of him and would use any player at his disposal if he thought he could help the team

• Advertisement

A centre? Are you thinking of Hart who's a 09/10?

EDIT: Oh forgot Farrell went down there.

Advertisement