Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/5 (Social Rugby) Season 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Heading up for my first day of pre-season tonight in Barnhall. The combination of being quite unfit, preseason, a dodgy knee and a fair whack of excess weight means I will quite happily admit to a fair few nerves. Haven't played since I was 12.

With any luck I won't break something.
    I'm not too far off that boat. Best of luck

It's social rugby lads, there will be very few people miles ahead of you, it's meant to be fun, so just enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Survived and it wasn't as bad as I had expected but I forgot one thing from last year. Buy bug spray I'm feckin eatten alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I'm in bits from tip the other night. What do they eat when they can't get rugby players tho?

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in bits from tip the other night. What do they eat when they can't get rugby players tho?

Read that sentence a few times, still no closer to understanding

You're talking about the bugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, that was bloody tough. Going to have to ease this knee back into things.

• Advertisement

post-15339-Why-do-my-muscles-hurt-so-much-gzBT.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 simone2014

Hi guys,
    Just moved back to the country and after years of lack of sport I was thinking of picking up rugby.
    Fed up just going to gym for nothing (always needed a reason to train) Never played before (tiny bit in School) and only played football with my mates never for a team. Mainly stuck to boxing and martial arts but was wondering at 31 am I out of my depth??!!
    I am going to go to pre season on Monday and to show my complete and utter novice experience, what do I need??
    Any advise --good or bad appreciated.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

simone2014 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just moved back to the country and after years of lack of sport I was thinking of picking up rugby.
    Fed up just going to gym for nothing (always needed a reason to train) Never played before (tiny bit in School) and only played football with my mates never for a team. Mainly stuck to boxing and martial arts but was wondering at 31 am I out of my depth??!!
    I am going to go to pre season on Monday and to show my complete and utter novice experience, what do I need??

Cheers!

You wont be out of your depth. It's only social rugby. Ive seen plenty of people take it up at your age.

Nobody really cares how good or bad someone is. The main thing people like to see is you making an effort. Not be afraid to make tackles, hit rucks, get your hands on the ball and do the drills.

Hi guys,

Cheers!

You'll be fine, boots and a gumshield, though there probably won't be a whole heap of contact this stage of the season, it will be a steep learning curve but fun. After spending the last six seasons with a club that had at least 5 or 6 never played before players, starting with them every season, you'll find plenty of help from the more experienced guys. Just be patient and work on the basic skills, you'll do fine.

Hi guys,

Cheers!

What area you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'm still not fully back from injury, since a certain scrum half injured me last season. I've been back out running these past few weeks and I did my first 10k race last Monday. Was feeling confident enough until I played tag on Thursday and puked my ring up mid way through.

Still not overly confident about my knee, but I'm working on building it back to some sort of strength before the start of the season. I'll stick to fitness / limited contact for he first month or so back anyway

Ha, I thought you were well ahead of me in terms of rehab. Guess you weren't lying to those ambulance men after all.

What area you based?

Based in Santry but going to call down to Clontarf. Elvery's just got hit so no backing out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Based in Santry but going to call down to Clontarf. Elvery's just got hit so no backing out now!

Started there myself last season at 33 having done no sport of any kind since I was a kid and never played rugby. You'll be grand. Might not be back in training next week myself but def will the week after. Looking forward to getting back.

cloneslad wrote: »
    I'm still not fully back from injury, since a certain scrum half injured me last season. I've been back out running these past few weeks and I did my first 10k race last Monday. Was feeling confident enough until I played tag on Thursday and puked my ring up mid way through.

Still not overly confident about my knee, but I'm working on building it back to some sort of strength before the start of the season. I'll stick to fitness / limited contact for he first month or so back anyway

Ah stop moaning now, that's old news, I'm going back to blindside this season, that would sound better than getting done by a scrum half!

I'm dreading this preseason lark, bring on the matches for real fitness!

Great just what this thread needs a other tarf lad. :p

Great just what this thread needs a other tarf lad. :p

We can't help it that the rest of the teams don't know how to reed and right.

That hurt me to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Quick question lads on the cost of starting back. Have been meaning to take the plunge for years now (last played JCT in late 90s) but how much would the initial outlay be? So boots and gum shield are a given but what about training gear? Do you need to buy a jersey for match day, shorts, socks, insurance ect. Also is there membership fee for most/all clubs and what sort of hit is that?
    You can see how it might start to add up if you need to fork out for everything at once.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Different clubs will be set up differently, but our membership covers insurance.

For the first while you'll just need regular gym gear, as you'll mostly be doing fitness work. You will need a gumshield and boots fairly soon though.

Club supplies match day gear, altho some clubs are different, for example ours just supplies a jersey for the day, you have to supply shorts n socks. I think it's worth while buying your own jersey as fighting through a pile of old jerseys for something that doesn't have more X's than Liz Taylor on the tag.

As it gets colder you may want to invest in some compression/thermal gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

MRTULES wrote: »
    Quick question lads on the cost of starting back. Have been meaning to take the plunge for years now (last played JCT in late 90s) but how much would the initial outlay be? So boots and gum shield are a given but what about training gear? Do you need to buy a jersey for match day, shorts, socks, insurance ect. Also is there membership fee for most/all clubs and what sort of hit is that?
    You can see how it might start to add up if you need to fork out for everything at once.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    There will be membership fee for all clubs. Wont need to buy a jersey for match day as club provide that but gear for training and club socks, shorts will have to be purchased. Hard to say on membership cost as it'll vary so much from club to club

• Advertisement

As it gets colder you may want to invest in some compression/thermal gear.

You'd know, you're a back!

stephen_n wrote: »
    You'd know, you're a back!

That's basically it. I'm fairly sure Underarmour produced their coldgear compression tops with J4/5 wingers in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Do many clubs supply basic gear such as socks/shorts on matchdays? I've never heard of that at this level - I've always had my own shorts/socks etc., the club supplies jersey. I don't think I'd wear communal socks/shorts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for the info lads. Kind of what I expected alright. Are the clubs membership fees in plain view on their respective websites?

Teferi wrote: »
    Do many clubs supply basic gear such as socks/shorts on matchdays? I've never heard of that at this level - I've always had my own shorts/socks etc., the club supplies jersey. I don't think I'd wear communal socks/shorts tbh.

Ours don't anyway.

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads. Kind of what I expected alright. Are the clubs membership fees in plain view on their respective websites?

Generally yeah, its a usually on their membership form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ours don't anyway.

2 seasons ago our club included socks/shorts as something you get when you pay subs which I thought was a nice touch.

That is a cool touch actually. Cuz you'll defo be buying more anyway...

Pre season starts tonight. Gonna grab a nap now, then go down and suffer. AK, I'll be wearing an ulster top just for you.

I'm really not looking forward to this. #prayforcloneslad will possibly be trending later

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to tonight!
    Although took a wise decision to skip gym at Lunchtime to see what the f_ck this rugby lark is all about!!!

Advertisement