Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farewell George - When will we see your like again?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And for that reason I'd like to see a non irish explayer or journo come in .... a kin to how they brought in souness for the soccer.

Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ideally I'd like someone who has no connection to rugby, ala Craig Doyle. Someone with broadcast experience and not some job-for-the-boys RTE thingy. (to replace McGuirk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

.ak wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like someone who has no connection to rugby, ala Craig Doyle. Someone with broadcast experience and not some job-for-the-boys RTE thingy. (to replace McGuirk)

Craig Doyle, CRAIG Doyle, CRAIG DOYLE...

*puts .ak on ignore list*!!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

I will miss George.

He brought the game alive for me as a young lad growing up in my sitting room and for that I will always be grateful. His grasp on the history of the game in Ireland broadened my horizons on the sport I love compared to the much narrower focus of the current generation of broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He'd become a caricature. All too often, an annoying one.

His image of how the game should be played was rooted in a different era. It seemed as though he'd rather Ireland ran the ball from wherever and lost gallantly rather than ride the horse that suited the course.

I'll miss him for his comic relief but they have some good analysts there anyway that can actually the game being played rather than the corresponding fixture in 1947.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

.ak wrote: »

Lord no, not Doyle. How about Eoin McDevitt or Ger Gilroy or somebody who can combine good presentation with good knowledge?

It will be Daire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Doyle is great on BT, I don't care what anyone says. I realise he was quite annoying on his RTE show but I've warmed to him a lot since he moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The fact that there are 11 pages of outrage about him is the exact reason he was employed as a pundit for so long.

I never got as annoyed by him as everyone else seems to. Hasn't a clue about rugby but I love his Newstalk show. He's a very nice guy in real life too. He was there as a pantomime villain and that's it. He probably outstayed his welcome as viewers became more knowledgeable about rugby as the professional game grew and now that lads who have spent entire lives as professionals are retiring and coming on with a more intimate knowledge of the game but he was decent entertainment for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Ah come one! I'd much rather have Hook! He's very entertaining even if he does talk sh!te most of the time!

I'd get rid of Shane Horgan, can't stand the man!

He actually makes my blood boil.

Conor O'Shea and ROG are fantastic pundits and I like Brent Pope too. But hook brings an element of entertainment despite not knowing what he's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Teferi wrote: »
    The fact that there are 11 pages of outrage about him is the exact reason he was employed as a pundit for so long.

I never got as annoyed by him as everyone else seems to. Hasn't a clue about rugby but I love his Newstalk show. He's a very nice guy in real life too. He was there as a pantomime villain and that's it. He probably outstayed his welcome as viewers became more knowledgeable about rugby as the professional game grew and now that lads who have spent entire lives as professionals are retiring and coming on with a more intimate knowledge of the game but he was decent entertainment for some time.

The point is, it is very easy to pull of the "act" he pulls off. Pretty much anyone can spout crap and wish the worst possible outcome on your home nation if they are getting paid plenty for it.

I AVOIDED RTE Irish rugby analysis up until recently, primarily because of him to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I will miss George.
    McGurk not so much.

The thing is we actually sometimes need these old curmudgeons.
    It would be a very bland world if all we ever get are the grey and magnolia Shane Horgans and Conor O'Sheas of this world.

Yeah they are probably way more correct and enlightened in their analysis, but will they ever risk stepping out of line.
    These guys are safe, they have come from the PR savvy era and will not step out of line less it irrates somebody too much.

For panels to truly work you need an element of entertainment, controversy and even risk.
    For anyone that watches soccer watch what Roy Keane brings to a panel.
    He adds an element of the unknown. Hell he must be both a dream and a nightmare for TV producers.
    Granted he is probably a lot more up to date with his sport than Hook was.

Like him or loathe him, George will be missed.

Just ask yourself will we have such a big thread when the likes of O'Shea or Horgan are off.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

For so long RTE was McGuirk, Hook and Popey so you never really took the analysis serious to begin with. For that reason I never really minded Hook. In the last year though RTE have seemed to want to move into more serious punditry with the likes of O'Shea, Horgan and O'Gara and it was only really then that Hook started to become an issue because he was simply out of place and it was noticable.

Although that said I thought he was shameful when Jonathan Sexton first came onto the scene. George Hook has made no secret of his love for O'Gara and I felt that when O'Gara was starting to lose his place in the Irish team to Sexton there was a conceited effort by Hook to criticize and lambast Sexton at every available opportunity. I don't think I have ever seen Hook single out and criticize one player so much in all his years of punditry. It was nothing short of bullying at the time.

Other than that, I think I will miss the grumpy git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

mfceiling wrote: »
    Craig Doyle, CRAIG Doyle, CRAIG DOYLE...

*puts .ak on ignore list*!!

Say what you want but he's actually a good media person. I don't really care how knowledgeable he is. BT and Sky are very good at getting media savvy people involved rather than just names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Outsider for McGuirk's job - Joanne Cantwell. I thought she was great on Against the Head... but no doubt Daire will get it.

I've a lot of time for Ger Gilroy too, he is great on UTV Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Ah would you stop.

John Giles is older than Hook and he's managed to keep himself up to date with the current state of the game. Dunphy is only a couple of years younger, has the whole pantomime villain act going on but underneath it there is a serious understanding of the game.

Hook's problem is that he just doesn't understand the modern game, or maybe he doesn't care about it, either way, he's not equipped to do any serious analysis. However bad he is for the internationals, his punditry during RTE's coverage of the Pro12 was downright embarassing, he literally hadn't a clue what was going on.

Nothing to do with his age, everything to do with his ability. George's "wisdom of experience" comes from coaching lower-level rugby 20 years ago.

I agree entirely. Nothing to do with age. My point exactly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jmayo wrote: »
    The thing is we actually sometimes need these old curmudgeons.
    It would be a very bland world if all we ever get are the grey and magnolia Shane Horgans and Conor O'Sheas of this world.

Yeah they are probably way more correct and enlightened in their analysis, but will they ever risk stepping out of line.
    These guys are safe, they have come from the PR savvy era and will not step out of line less it irrates somebody too much.

I utterly fail to see what a willingness to "step out of line" contributes when all you do is spout complete rubbish.

Good riddance, he should have been gone years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hook was interviewed by Brendan O'Connor on radio in the last hour and it was the usual Corkonian appreciation society stuff. However, he did say one thing I agree with and the reason I will miss him at times.

He said "our competitors all go to the same barber", and he's right, I do hope whatever RTE do, and TV3 for the World Cup for that matter, that the panels don't become homogeneous, barely warmed down professional players.

I thought this was spot on. Hook has annoyed the hell out of me over the years, but I have always found other broadcasters' coverage very bland in comparison to RTE's offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I utterly fail to see what a willingness to "step out of line" contributes when all you do is spout complete rubbish.

Good riddance, he should have been gone years ago.

This is just it. People seem to want contrived nonsense and manufactured controversy. Hook is not an analyst. All he does is criticize and look miserable when we win. It's not at all balancing the panel or improving it. It's just in your face anti the Irish team. Insulting the opposition when we win is the best he can do. I don't think any of the players have the slightest bit of time for Hook, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The more I think about it, the more I want Alan Quinlan to get a chance. He'd be shakey at first, but in time I think he could really grow into the role.

[EDIT]: Bit of confusion over what I mean here - I think Quinny should get the anchor gig, i.e., McGuirk's job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I want Alan Quinlan to get a chance. He'd be shakey at first, but in time I think he could really grow into the role.

World champ at stating the bleeding obvious - but in a hesitant and bland way. Please no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I won't miss George Hook. He had his days but became predictably contra over the last few years. It might be the end for Pope too, they were a double act.

It's a new trophy winning Irish team, we've moved on from Hook's era.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TONY09

I have seen a photo of Him on St Patricks day He was the Grand Marshall for Cork City and
    He couldnt be botherd to wear a sprig of shamrock for the occaision. What a buffoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

When will we see your like again?

hopefully never, crotchety old eejit who talks in historical allegories and offers minimal real wisdom (let alone entertainment). Looking forward to the "driving home" slot on Newstalk to get a new host too.

LorMal wrote: »
    World champ at stating the bleeding obvious - but in a hesitant and bland way. Please no.

Not to replace Hook, to replace McGuirk - I think he could make a really watchable host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not to replace Hook, to replace McGuirk - I think he could make a really watchable host.

I suspect you'd be in a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah would you stop.

John Giles is older than Hook and he's managed to keep himself up to date with the current state of the game. Dunphy is only a couple of years younger, has the whole pantomime villain act going on but underneath it there is a serious understanding of the game.
    Actually I disagree with that entirely - Giles at the WC didn't known the names of most of he players, has said he doesn't believe in modern tactics and the psychology/science behind the game is nonsense etc, and also does believes every player should be able to play every minute of all 60-odd games in a season (for the teams in Europe) without any issue because that is how it was in the 70s... showing a complete lack of understanding about the increased pace and athleticism of the modern game, as well as others optimising their teams' fitness and performance levels.

Dunphy also remains a spoofer, a word he loves so much, making up names for Argentinian defenders and calling Colombia "a bunch of headless chickens" who have no idea how to defend... despite them having them the best defensive record in South American qualifying!

Anyway, I've gone off on a ramble...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Nope. I, for one, do not want an analyst who prefaces every sentence with "when I was at Munster."

His articles in the Irish Times are horrible.

Actually, a lot of the rugby articles in the Irish Times are pretty bad, now that i think of it... Liam Toland's stuff is horrible, Quinlan's is horrible and even some of the sports writers (Commiskey) are below average. Thornley's articles are pretty good but the man on video is a nightmare. He puts McGurk in the ha'penny place when it comes to cutting across people.

A couple of lads mentioned that Hook was a professional wind up merchant, that he didn't really believe what he was saying. I have doubts about that. There were many occasions on the panel in the past where guests like Conor O'Shea where visibly annoyed with him. He seriously gets under Pope's skin as well. I think a large proportion of what he does is real, I can't help but believe that if it wasn't he wouldn't attract that reaction from people who must be aware of what he was doing.

In any case, any replacement would have to have some sort of background in rugby. BBC's panels can be annoying but they do have good technical understanding of the game. RTE seems to be of the belief across all sports that Irish audiences aren't interested in that. I think they might be right, but I know I'm not interested in constant bellyaching and trolling. Ronan O'Gara seems like a good compromise, a man with very recent rugby experience so obvious technical knowledge, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks.

Sometimes what he thinks is a bit crazy though.

Yes, O'Gara is the man for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I suspect you'd be in a minority.

Minority of 2 at least. I agree with Neil that as a host he'd be fine. Seems to respect people, lets other views be put across etc. A facilitator for other panelists providing the analysis.

Not a bad call - I quite like him and think he could be decent enough in McGurk's seat.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Minority of 2 at least. I agree with Neil that as a host he'd be fine. Seems to respect people, lets other views be put across etc. A facilitator for other panelists providing the analysis.

Free the Quinlan 2!

UPDATE: vienne is on board - FREE THE QUINLAN 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Nope. I, for one, do not want an analyst who prefaces every sentence with "when I was at Munster."

His articles in the Irish Times are horrible.

Actually, a lot of the rugby articles in the Irish Times are pretty bad, now that i think of it... Liam Toland's stuff is horrible, Quinlan's is horrible and even some of the sports writers (Commiskey) are below average. Thornley's articles are pretty good but the man on video is a nightmare. He puts McGurk in the ha'penny place when it comes to cutting across people.

A couple of lads mentioned that Hook was a professional wind up merchant, that he didn't really believe what he was saying. I have doubts about that. There were many occasions on the panel in the past where guests like Conor O'Shea where visibly annoyed with him. He seriously gets under Pope's skin as well. I think a large proportion of what he does is real, I can't help but believe that if it wasn't he wouldn't attract that reaction from people who must be aware of what he was doing.

In any case, any replacement would have to have some sort of background in rugby. BBC's panels can be annoying but they do have good technical understanding of the game. RTE seems to be of the belief across all sports that Irish audiences aren't interested in that. I think they might be right, but I know I'm not interested in constant bellyaching and trolling. Ronan O'Gara seems like a good compromise, a man with very recent rugby experience so obvious technical knowledge, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks.

Sometimes what he thinks is a bit crazy though.

Yes, O'Gara is the man for me.
    Quinlan isn't that bad and he doesn't actually write his articles.. or at least used not to. He used to talk to Malachy Clerkin/other Times journo on phone and theyd discuss whatever AQ decided was his topic for article for the week and Clerkin would type up the discussion as the article..
    Tolands ok sometimes. Agree on Cummiskey..
    ROG wont go into the role. He'll stay coaching for foreseeable future and wont move into media much more than he is already doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Peter Collins is taking over from McGurk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Agree re quinny, well spoken and works well in a panel any time ive been to an event he was speaking in. His punditry may be meh but he would be a good person to get a discussion going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

MikeSD wrote: »
    Peter Collins is taking over from McGurk.

Bad joke surely.

Is Neil Francis replacing Hook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Korat wrote: »
    Bad joke surely.

Is Neil Francis replacing Hook?

Just heard it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haha Paddy Wallace taking the piss out of his 'second rate foreigner' comment on Against the Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Have you never seen him on Sky?.... He's very good, not shakey at all. Would be a very good addition to the panel.

Have you never seen him on Sky?.... He's very good, not shakey at all. Would be a very good addition to the panel.

Has he anchored shows on Sky? Because that's what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

His son was great on Sky the other day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Against the Head was pretty dull tonight. Obviously the highlights were good and but I can't remember the host or panel adding one interesting piece of analysis. Do we really want a bunch of cheerleaders on the panel saying "Our boys done good" or "they'll be disappointed with that" after every game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think there's a big difference between "bunch of cheerleaders" and "seriously negative RTE panel" (which is what a McGurk + Hook led panel was).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Has he anchored shows on Sky? Because that's what I meant.

Ah OK.
    Yes, not sure what he'd be like as an anchor.
    Would definitely be better than Spillane on Sunday Game.
    Maybe give him a go on Against the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I know he doesn't put it across that well but Hook's entire problem with the team during the six nations was the defensive game plan would never beat the All Blacks, we could have won a Grand Slam and that would still be true.

laugh wrote: »
    I know he doesn't put it across that well but Hook's entire problem with the team during the six nations was the defensive game plan would never beat the All Blacks, we could have won a Grand Slam and that would still be true.

Hook hasn't the first notion of what kind of rugby would beat the All Blacks. That's the problem, he's commenting from a position of almost complete ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Wow, up to 13 pages now. I think it can all be summarised by:

1) I like George Hook because he's colourful and controversial OR
    2) I dislike George Hook because he hasn't a clue about rugby.

I don't think anyone has actually defended the quality of his analysis or knowledge of the game? That sums it up for me tbh, he's a sideshow and contributes nothing constructive, good luck to him, but his time is up.

Wow, up to 13 pages now. I think it can all be summarised by

You people with fewer than 40 posts per page disgust me.

Wow, up to 13 pages now. I think it can all be summarised by:

1) I like George Hook because he's colourful and controversial OR
    2) I dislike George Hook because he hasn't a clue about rugby.

I don't think anyone has actually defended the quality of his analysis or knowledge of the game? That sums it up for me tbh, he's a sideshow and contributes nothing constructive, good luck to him, but his time is up.

That's a fair analysis! He'sa bit of a bufoon, but I would think most of us would wish him a happy and healthy retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

he's the Eamon Dunphy of the rugby world,

you either love him or loathe him

personally speaking i think he's great he makes great TV, (like Dunphy)

Fair play. Does look a bit rattled. Awful people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Fair play. Does look a bit rattled. Awful people out there.

Just seen this and was shocked. Just shows what type of people currently inhabit Ireland.

Fair play to George.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement