Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will lifetime renting in Ireland become viable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Will we ever be happy to give up ownership aspirations like they do in other countries and be happy to rent for life? I personally think for that to happen the concept of a rented accommodation as a home has to be accepted by landlord and tenant.

Lifetime renting would be more viable now if there wasn't such a squeeze on the housing stock.

I have some sympathy with your second point - housing shouldn't be seen purely as an investment but that's precisely what a BTL is from a landlord's perspective and there's no getting around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Buying a home is an investment that you can sell off if needed... renting is money down the drain!

Better off paying a mortgage and treat that like rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I will be a landlord soon enough, semi intentionally and I am half scared shítless that when I need to move back into the house in a few years time I will be unable to do so without a huge battle due to overly tenant biased regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I will be a landlord soon enough, semi intentionally and I am half scared shess that when I need to move back into the house in a few years time I will be unable to do so without a huge battle due to overly tenant biased regulations.

rack rent the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Frostybrew wrote: »
    I agree landlords should be able to evict non paying tenants who don't engage. But non paying tenants isn't a major problem, as this type of situation is only relevant to about 1% of tenancies. It doesn't apply to the vast majority of tenants who do pay their rent, and is really a borderline red herring argument.

You must also remember that landlords also have to also agree to long term tenancies and I honestly can't see the majority of landlords doing this.

Landlords are not getting beaten by the government with regulation. What has happened is a completely unregulated sector is now starting to get the legislation that it should have had years ago and those used to the old regime aren't able for it. The legislation is very necessary as most landlords (up to 85%) were paying no tax whatsoever on their rental earnings, and the standard of a sizeable minority of rentals was diabolical.

As for those leaving in droves, any landlord who is unable to manage the very high rents that they are receiving should not be in the business of providing rental accommodation. I suspect though that most of those who are leaving are doing so to liquify capital gains as they believe that the housing market has peaked. They'll more than likely buy back property at a lower price in the years ahead.

According to you I have been marvellously unlucky with tenants not paying their rent on time or fully. Tenants regularly skip payments with most not paying their last months rent so as to avoid deposit deductions. Where you got 1% is a mystery. When it does happen the lost to a landlord is at least a years rent.

Nonsense about avoiding tax. The government has increased tax and charges and changed regulations all to favour tenants and adding costs to landlords while restricting rent increases. How that is not hammering landlords. Costs and charges mean many tenants are paying more rent while the landlord makes less profit.

Landlords leaving the market aren't coming back they are leaving due to regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I will be a landlord soon enough, semi intentionally and I am half scared shítless that when I need to move back into the house in a few years time I will be unable to do so without a huge battle due to overly tenant biased regulations.

Well then why move out? It seems like you want to have your cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well then why move out? It seems like you want to have your cake and eat it.

Because work is taking me abroad for a few years and the mortgage still needs to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Where is the advantage in paying rent your whole life?

I dont mind renting for a while it's a service thats good to avail of if you're new or unsure about an area but unless you're constantly on the go there is no point in renting for your whole life

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Frostybrew

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    According to you I have been marvellously unlucky with tenants not paying their rent on time or fully. Tenants regularly skip payments with most not paying their last months rent so as to avoid deposit deductions. Where you got 1% is a mystery. When it does happen the lost to a landlord is at least a years rent.

Nonsense about avoiding tax. The government has increased tax and charges and changed regulations all to favour tenants and adding costs to landlords while restricting rent increases. How that is not hammering landlords. Costs and charges mean many tenants are paying more rent while the landlord makes less profit.

Landlords leaving the market aren't coming back they are leaving due to regulations.

You may have been unlucky. We can't say for sure as we don't know your situation. There's a also good chance that you may have been incredibly stupid and inexperienced as a landlord, as is often the case in these situations. Without an objective knowledge of the situation we can't really say for definite. It would be interesting to hear the tenant's side.

What we can comment on is factual percentage. According to the RTB approximately 1.2% of tenancies had disputes for over-holding and/or non payment of rent for the year ending Q2 2018. This is also probably higher than normal due to the housing crisis. Even so it is evidently not the major problem for most landlords, that many landlords would like us to believe.

As for the 85% this figure was widely publicised by revenue back in the early 2000s and is one of the reasons for the establishment of the PRTB in 2004 and the enactment of relevant legislation. Landlord tax evasion was widespread and accepted. Indeed all the places I rented till 2003 were strictly cash in hand affairs. Not a rent book to be seen anywhere.

What landlords also seem to be conveniently ignoring is the amount of support the government has given them over the last ten years, mainly by keeping a huge amount of empties out of the market through entities such as Nama, and being reluctant to impose measures that would prevent opportunistic hoarding of vacant properties. A great example of this situation is the Elysian in Cork, Ireland's tallest building. 244 units, only 20 occupied until 2017. 224 vacant from 2008 until 2017. Kept off the rental market. Had these been released onto the rental market it could have easily driven over a hundred landlords in the Cork area to bankruptcy as their substandard properties wouldn't have been able to compete with the state of the art newly built apartments in the Elysian.

Landlords are also forgetting recently enacted legislation which effectively guarantees their rental income to rise by 4% per annum. I'm not aware of any other business that receives this type of support, a guaranteed rise in income every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Rent and mortgage payments can easily decouple. Interest rates go up. Rents go down.

No idea why you think gearing would affect rental prices.
    Of course they can decouple- that is a risk a LL must calculate and charge a premium for carrying that risk.
    I don't understand how you think that rent can long term be below mortgage rates. You are getting a service - the LL is paying the mortgage, maintenance, depreciation, accountancy fees, PRTB and letting fees, LPT, work in organising etc. - how over time on average can or should that be below the price of paying a mortgage alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Landlords are also forgetting recently enacted legislation which effectively guarantees their rental income to rise by 4% per annum. I'm not aware of any other business that receives this type of support, a guaranteed rise in income every year.
    Perhaps you should read the respective legislation again: 4% is a maximum allowed, it is not guaranteed. The LL must also prove that they are entitled to any increase at all based on market rent. Hence contrary to your assertion, the government has not helped LLs - rather the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

It's not about getting real. It's about government enabling private speculators to price the average Irish tax payer out of the market.
    Indeed, the time will come where the vast majority of working Irish tax payers pay rents to the wealthy, state assisted, foreign and homegrown few.
    Shameful and likely.

I think one day it will be the case.

I don't know why this is something people want to see happening. Is it just because "muh they do it on mainland Europe why don't we do it here"?

I'd hate for it to become the norm. Spending your entire life paying rent to some faceless conglomerate and we've lunatics here who seem to genuinely think it's a better system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

fash wrote: »
    Of course they can decouple- that is a risk a LL must calculate and charge a premium for carrying that risk.
    I don't understand how you think that rent can long term be below mortgage rates. You are getting a service - the LL is paying the mortgage, maintenance, depreciation, accountancy fees, PRTB and letting fees, LPT, work in organising etc. - how over time on average can or should that be below the price of paying a mortgage alone?

I’m personally not getting anything as I don’t rent. You’re making the totally invalid assumption that all landlords are mortgaged to the hilt on every property. Many are cash buyers or have paid off their mortgages. Rent just has to beat returns from banks, with a premium for risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

How do you afford rent after retirement (at which time a mortgage would be paid off)?

How do you afford rent after retirement (at which time a mortgage would be paid off)?

You would get assistance.

Of course that’s a cost to government. I don’t think the German model would work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I don`t think the rental market as it stands is sustainable for a pensioner tenant. Remember, the amount of pensions in the private sector is below 1 in 5 asides from the state pension. There is a problem here which is being kicked down the road and won`t become apparent for another 15/20 years

The whole thing sounds both very commie and also capitalism at its very worst at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

You may have been unlucky. We can't say for sure as we don't know your situation. There's a also good chance that you may have been incredibly stupid and inexperienced as a landlord, as is often the case in these situations. Without an objective knowledge of the situation we can't really say for definite. It would be interesting to hear the tenant's side.

What we can comment on is factual percentage. According to the RTB approximately 1.2% of tenancies had disputes for over-holding and/or non payment of rent for the year ending Q2 2018. This is also probably higher than normal due to the housing crisis. Even so it is evidently not the major problem for most landlords, that many landlords would like us to believe.

As for the 85% this figure was widely publicised by revenue back in the early 2000s and is one of the reasons for the establishment of the PRTB in 2004 and the enactment of relevant legislation. Landlord tax evasion was widespread and accepted. Indeed all the places I rented till 2003 were strictly cash in hand affairs. Not a rent book to be seen anywhere.

What landlords also seem to be conveniently ignoring is the amount of support the government has given them over the last ten years, mainly by keeping a huge amount of empties out of the market through entities such as Nama, and being reluctant to impose measures that would prevent opportunistic hoarding of vacant properties. A great example of this situation is the Elysian in Cork, Ireland's tallest building. 244 units, only 20 occupied until 2017. 224 vacant from 2008 until 2017. Kept off the rental market. Had these been released onto the rental market it could have easily driven over a hundred landlords in the Cork area to bankruptcy as their substandard properties wouldn't have been able to compete with the state of the art newly built apartments in the Elysian.

You have quoted a fig of 85% which was in the early 2000's which is now nearly 20 yrs old so is no longer valid today.

What you appear to be ignoring is the tenant protection. It can take a year to evict a non paying tenant. Can you identify one privately owned business where you are forced to continue providing a service where you are not being paid and even if you do get an RTB award and try to enforce it you will get nothing as the tenant has nothing to secure the debt against.

Properties were not "kept out of the market" by Nama. Anybody who had the cash could buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You have quoted a fig of 85% which was in the early 2000's which is now nearly 20 yrs old so is no longer valid today.

What you appear to be ignoring is the tenant protection. It can take a year to evict a non paying tenant. Can you identify one privately owned business where you are forced to continue providing a service where you are not being paid and even if you do get an RTB award and try to enforce it you will get nothing as the tenant has nothing to secure the debt against.

Properties were not "kept out of the market" by Nama. Anybody who had the cash could buy them.

Very few rogue tenants are evicted within a year, more often its two, they invariably walk away scot free afterwards

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Very few rogue tenants are evicted within a year, more often its two, they invariably walk away scot free afterwards

In fairness they do get away with a lot here.

If you ever watch can't pay we'll take it away (usually on 3e or whatever it is now) you do see in the UK the approach is much more heavy handed than it is here.

By heavy handed I just mean you know, that they actually get evicted for not paying. Sometimes they'll even track someone who's moved on and not paid a few months rent or left the place damaged and get money from them.

You never really see anything like that going on here.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »

This definitely needs to change if we are to have a professional rental system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

DS86DS wrote:
    I am renting off of my parents who own a few properties. I don't mind renting off of them as the money is going back into the family and will probably inherit the property one day.

Can I ask if you have a rental agreement in place and is property registered with RTB, I have just rented a property to my son and unsure how to proceed tax wise etc, I have just purchased this property. I have the option of not registering with RTB,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

fash wrote: »
    How or why would rent be lower than a mortgage repayment?
    Someone borrows money to provide a service and incurs additional costs in providing that service - and should sell their services for less than cost?

As regards the general question, the only way long term rental could be a thing is if there are non-profit /local authority rentals. Anything else will have to be geared at getting a profit which means rents rising over the long term and potentially out of the range of a pensioner tenant - it doesn't make sense to rely on the rental market in that case.
    This is what gets me. Every landlord feels they should be able to buy a property with a huge mortgage, rent it and make a profit every month and then when the mortgage is paid off have this asset standing them hundreds of thousands.
    Rent should be cheaper than buying, if a landlord has to put a bit towards the rental income every month then that's perfectly fine because its your mortgage as the owner of the property.
    And I HATE this stupid argument some people, who either own a home or are actually landlords make that people should rent for life. Bonkers argument. Nobody what's to to be paying rent till they die, if I had a rented house and I had to retire tomorrow and even with downsizing I'd still be paying a grand a month if I was lucky and my pension might be 1500 a month, yeah great life choice, everyone should do it and pay a few wealthy landlords so they can have a comfortable existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

DS86DS wrote: »
    There are literally no advantages in the long term of renting over a mortgage and home ownership. The latter will allow you to enjoy your retirement and maybe even travel the world.

If this is the case, why do millions of Dutch, Germans and Swiss rent all their lives?

Geuze wrote: »
    If this is the case, why do millions of Dutch, Germans and Swiss rent all their lives?

'But other people do it' is no case for it at all. As far as I can see there are plenty of reasons not to and I would hope it never becomes normalised here.

Could you maybe address some of the points that have already been made, or is 'but other people do it' the best case that can be made for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

'But other people do it' is no case for it at all. As far as I can see there are plenty of reasons not to and I would hope it never becomes normalised here.

Could you maybe address some of the points that have already been made, or is 'but other people do it' the best case that can be made for it?
    But.. But... They are Swiss and Dutch and Germans if they are doing it it must be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

iamtony wrote: »
    This is what gets me. Every landlord feels they should be able to buy a property with a huge mortgage, rent it and make a profit every month and then when the mortgage is paid off have this asset standing them hundreds of thousands.
    Rent should be cheaper than buying, if a landlord has to put a bit towards the rental income every month then that's perfectly fine because its your mortgage as the owner of the property.
    And I HATE this stupid argument some people, who either own a home or are actually landlords make that people should rent for life. Bonkers argument. Nobody what's to to be paying rent till they die, if I had a rented house and I had to retire tomorrow and even with downsizing I'd still be paying a grand a month if I was lucky and my pension might be 1500 a month, yeah great life choice, everyone should do it and pay a few wealthy landlords so they can have a comfortable existence.

Anybody who enters business does so to earn a profit. In a normal functioning market rent would be cheaper than a mortgage. However we don't have a normal functioning market.

There are costs associated with home ownership other than just the mortgage. Ironically rent could be cheaper if the tax take on the rent was not so high.

There was a consultation paper by the Minister for Housing last year on the housing crisis asking for submissions.

I as a landlord made a submission, my suggestion was to extend the rent a room scheme to landlords, this would allow tenants save for a deposit.

One of the problems with the housing market is that people want to live in specific places but don't want to pay to live there. Houses are priced because of supply and demand, one of the factors driving demand is location and the surrounding amenities.

If you want to live in an area that has all the amenities around, good transport links etc then you should expect to pay a premium above a similar house that does not have these amenities.

You could afford to rent for your life if you are willing to rent in a location that you can afford not in a location you want to live in although you can't afford it.

iamtony wrote: »
    But.. But... They are Swiss and Dutch and Germans if they are doing it it must be good!

Exactly. The other 'argument' I hear being bandied around is 'us Irish are obsessed with owning our own property' almost as if to say wanting to own your own home is a bad thing.

I've yet to hear a good case made as to why spending your life lining the pockets of some faceless property mogul is a better alternative than owning your own patch.

I wonder in these countries do the very well off rent their houses too? I imagine the answer is no.

And ironically it tends to be lefties that are the most vocal advocates of such a system.

The Irish system is biased towards home ownership.

People rationally respond to those incentives.

As a result, home ownership rates have tended to be high.

Nothing wrong with that, broadly.

It does make the labour market somewhat less flexible, as it reduces labour mobility.

Personally, I would not rent long-term.

I'm curious as to why millions of Dutch, Germans and Swiss do. I'm not saying there system is better, I just want to know more about it.

Do they not think that "rent is dead money"?

• Advertisement

One of the quirks of the Irish system is that many people think "rent is dead money".

So they are discouraging the idea of being a tenant.

Yet the same people often want to be landlords.

You can't be a landlord, unless there are tenants.

Advertisement