Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv license question

Options
  • 15-01-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

i know this is often asked across forums but looking for serious reply, person moved out who used tv from my home, and they did get new license where they live now. Ive no use for tvs as never watch it so TV's are all gone, i do stream and download stuff of internet but theres no sky virgin or any sat box, besides router for internet, or any monitor being able to receive tv signal - i dont mind if license inspector comes to roam free just cant bother to call em to say that current person who moved out has new license in another county, as they would still drop new letters in for household.

So simple question if there's no tvs or devices being able to receive tv or satellite signal as well as boxes that do so, do i still need license as legislation is vague, as all my use is done on monitors over internet ?

thx for any response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

According to FAQ
    I only watch TV content on a monitor, Do I need a TV Licence?
    You require a TV Licence in the following circumstances:

Connecting a SKY/Virgin Media/Saorview or any type of Digital TV Receiver to your monitor
    Viewing any TV Programmes broadcast for general reception over broadband (e.g. Eir TV/Vodafone TV) on your monitor requires a TV Licence.

So, given your admission that you stream stuff (which I assume includes online players for Virgin & RTE, etc), I would say yes, you need a TV licence... but then again according to here
    Do I require a TV Licence for a computer which can access television-like services (e.g. the RTÉ Player or streaming services)?

No. So long as the computer is unable to display television channels distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks (i.e cable, satillite, IPTV, analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial or MMDS) e.g. using a television tuner card or similar device, then there is no requirement to hold a Television Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

which I assume includes online players for Virgin & RTE

Unless netlifx,youtube counts none of these above are used. if i had console etc id have no prob with paying license, but no one in household watches any irish or brit tv.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is complicated to the point of there not being a clear answer and it'll take court cases until there is basically

L1011 wrote: »
    This is complicated to the point of there not being a clear answer and it'll take court cases until there is basically

As mentioned ive no attempt to dodge paying it, but theres literally no tvs in house or recivers/tuners or monitors able to stream live channels.

guess my question is do i email or call them and let them know they are free to inspect whenever they want to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you have no tv equipment, including antennae or satellite dish, and nothing capable of receiving a signal, you have nothing to worry about. There is no need to let the TV inspector in to have a look around. I personally wouldn't.
    scamalert wrote: »
    guess my question is do i email or call them and let them know they are free to inspect whenever they want to ?

From what I gather, they just visit houses without TV licences regardless of any declaration you make. So just ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I don't own a TV set, therefore every year they ask me to sign a declaration.

I sign it, mail it to them, end of story.

Just do the same and stop worrying :)
    EDIT:
    There you go. https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Forms.htm

Sign that, mail it to them, and badabing badaboom you are reborn a free man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I was wondering about something similar.

I live in rented accomodation which has a sky dish outside, I can't remove it as the house isn't mine. We dont use it, everything we watch is through the Internet. No virgin or rte player. I got a letter the other day informing me that I have a court date soon. Am I goosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I live in rented accomodation which has a sky dish outside, I can't remove it as the house isn't mine. We dont use it, everything we watch is through the Internet. No virgin or rte player. I got a letter the other day informing me that I have a court date soon. Am I goosed?
    Do you have a television?

theres still dish not sure of antenna and wiring across the house but i wouldnt go mad into unwiring it as theres no coax connections to output signal into anything that can broadcast wireless over 20 feet away at closest point to any pc or laptop into vga or dvi ports in the house.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Did they not start by asking you if you had a TV? They normally send a letter, you don't go straight to court.

• Advertisement

Cheers Oink for putting link with a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Make sure your monitors do not have inbuilt tuners. I was given one and did not know it had one, looking at it you would not think it would. While my large plasma has no tuner and you would expect it to have one.

I was late paying my licence and in one of the final notices it had a declaration form to say I had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

scamalert wrote: »
    So simple question if there's no tvs or devices being able to receive tv or satellite signal as well as boxes that do so, do i still need license as legislation is vague, as all my use is done on monitors over internet ?

Based on what you said you don’t need a licence.

The key is that you can’t have any device or combination of devices capable of receiving “conventional” terrestrial, satellite, or cable TV broadcast.

Online streaming doesn’t count as conventional TV broadcast and doesn’t require a licence, even if it is the RTE player.

What’s important is not what you do/watch with your equipment but what kind of equipment you have in the house, meaning the rule can sometimes fell counter intuitive:
    - Having a computer monitor, and old Virgin Media box in a drawer which you are not using and might be broken but could as per its original design have been connected to the monitor to receive and display cable TV signal means you need to pay a licence. Even if your are not using the devices to actually watch TV or if one of them is broken.
    - However if you don’t have any device with a cable/satellite/terrestrial TV tuner in your house but are using a smartphone 10h a day to stream RTÉ player and display it on a 40in computer monitor using and Apple TV or a Chomecast, then you don’t require a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oink wrote: »
    Did they not start by asking you if you had a TV? They normally send a letter, you don't go straight to court.

I got a registered letter for the court date, nothing before that. I had a licence about 4 years ago when I had sky.

thx all for advice did sent out form, couple tvs that went did have integrated sat receiver in them thats about how far any equipment goes, since if there was real need for tv, id def not be watching it on 21inch monitor to save few euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I got a registered letter for the court date, nothing before that. I had a licence about 4 years ago when I had sky.

Whatever you do, don't just ignore the court date - you will definitely be convicted in your absence! In my experience, the best thing to do is turn up and politely explain to the judge that you don't have a TV and therefore no licence. Be prepared to spend the whole day waiting for your case to come up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

C3PO wrote: »
    In my experience, the best thing to do is turn up and politely explain to the judge that you don't have a TV and therefore no licence. Be prepared to spend the whole day waiting for your case to come up though!
    I would also get the declaration in before that.

https://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Forms.htm

I wonder if you get a declaration in would they cancel the summons.
    If you do not possess a Television Set at your premises you should complete the TV Licence Statutory Declaration form and return to your local TV Licence Records office. This declaration will be verified by a TV Licence Inspector in due course.

My friend got summoned but he did need the licence, he bought it beforehand and went to court and it was struck out right away with no fines or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

C3PO wrote: »
    Wthe best thing to do is turn up and politely explain to the judge that you don't have a TV and therefore no licence.
    If they don't have a TV, we haven't explicitly heard that yet... ;)

TheChizler wrote: »
    If they don't have a TV, we haven't explicitly heard that yet... ;)
    i think he did mention renting and that there was a Dish, and on form it states to notify em within 28 days, thou that said without inspection it seems a bit over the top to be called into court over license.

Advertisement