Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite suburb of Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Fan of Dun Laoghaire probably because it's the closest large suburban hub to me. Not a huge fan of the town itself but the love the sea front and both piers. Well served by public transport both Dart and bus and has it's own unique charm to it as compared to the likes of the more bland inland suburban centres such as Dundrum, Stillorgan, Nutgrove and Tallaght. Also spoons for cheap pints.

The pier on a sunny day and a teddy's 99, can't be beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Apart from the beach, there's feck all there.
    Always saw it as a poor version of Malahide.

Don't know about the poor man's malahide but yeah there's not much there. It is a great beach though.

I'd go for Howth. It has a lot of character and its lovely there on a sunny day walking down the pier. I never noticed but someone said to me years ago that it can be quite clannish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What is your favourite suburb of the greatest city in the world?

I wouldn't call rathmines or sandymount suburbs

Phibsborough

Poor man's stoneybatter

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Nodding agreement with prev posts here, Ranelagh is excellent, quite central, great facilities, village atmosphere, decent architecture and super transport.
    But so much traffic!

Phibsborough has many loyal dwellers too.
    My sister says Phibsborough reminds her of growing up in Ranelagh in the 80s and early 90s. A good mix of old and new Dublin. I find Ranelagh very homogeneous now personally.

I was in Doyle's Corner last week, it looks fantastic. A place on the up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mad_maxx wrote: »

it depends how you define suburb, either the edge of a city or its the residential part of a city. Using the second they would both be classed as suburbs, roughly , outside of the canals would be the start of the suburbs for Dublin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Clontarf is a dump, there have been a few murders there over the years and kids have been beaten up regularly by thugs on the rampage. Plus the sea can drown you at high tide due to the lack of a high wall there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

JupiterKid wrote: »
    In this order:
    1. Howth - feels more like a little coastal fishing town than a city suburb. Amazing location and scenery.
    2. Ranelagh - so close to town, very intimate feel with great character.
    3. Chapelizod - nestled in the Liffey Valley beside the Phoenix Park, again an intimate village feel to it.
    4. Dalkey - Oozes character and a great coastal setting.

5. Not a suburb proper as it is inside the canal ring but Stoneybatter is Dublin's inner city village. Has the feel of a rural market town at times. Indeed until the early 1970s it had a huge cattle market, animals paraded down Manor St, abbbatoirs and tanneries. Now of course super "hip."

Great post, making me change my mind here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,182 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

klaaaz wrote: »
    Clontarf is a dump, there have been a few murders there over the years and kids have been beaten up regularly by thugs on the rampage. Plus the sea can drown you at high tide due to the lack of a high wall there.

Correction. It was a dump. Thats how you reclaim land. Plus handy for burying the bodies.

The sea can drown you at high tide only if you are trying to win a darwin award and dont understand the concept of tides.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Lots of amazing suburbs in Dublin. Renelagh, Rathmines, Drumcondra, Howth and Dun Laoire are all amazing places to live, makes you realise how wonderful Dublin is for me I'd pick sandymount or Clontarf, the coast road out to dollymount strand and the walk from sandymount beach to the lighthouse are lovely and both are walking distance to town

silverharp wrote: »
    it depends how you define suburb, either the edge of a city or its the residential part of a city. Using the second they would both be classed as suburbs, roughly , outside of the canals would be the start of the suburbs for Dublin

I could easily walk to town from either and they don't look like a bunch of housing estates encircling a retail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

What would you call them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why? :confused: They are suburbs - inner, older suburbs of Dublin but suburbs nonetheless.

I did my doctorate on the evolution of suburban Dublin 1930 to 1995 so I think I know what I’m talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Don't know about the poor man's malahide but yeah there's not much there. It is a great beach though.

I'd go for Howth. It has a lot of character and its lovely there on a sunny day walking down the pier. I never noticed but someone said to me years ago that it can be quite clannish.

I rented there and it can be clannish but you’d expect that in a village. It’s both a suburb of Dublin and it’s own distinct village. There are people who live and work in howth and have done for generations, not all of them rich, who live in a village type system, as well as suburban commuters who may not know that many locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Cabra

a normal unpretentious working-class area, responsible for many great sports people over the years, good transport links, close to town,etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabra,_Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Howth and Malahide for me. Lovely villages beside the sea with decent pubs and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tallaght for me

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Neilstown or Darndale for me.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Howth and Malahide for me. Lovely villages beside the sea with decent pubs and restaurants.

You can say that again.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why? :confused: They are suburbs - inner, older suburbs of Dublin but suburbs nonetheless.

I did my doctorate on the evolution of suburban Dublin 1930 to 1995 so I think I know what I’m talking about.

I'm not an expert so will bow to your better judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

There are only upper class, middle class and working class areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Missing is Stoneybatter, Castleknock, Ranelagh and a few more...which would clearly be on the top of many lists

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I lived in Rathmines for several years and I cannot wait to move back, fantastic place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm surprised Donnybrook hasn't been mentioned one of my favourite suburbs some very nice houses and it's close to the city centre it seems like there is a nice vibe in the area also Herbert Park is a lovely park.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Raheny was the poor man's Clontarf - but when you know the area a bit more, it has more to offer than Clontarf. The houses have great gardens - you have a better village , better value houses and better acces to many amenities - Dart , pubs, park - coast etc.
    Clontarf is nice - but can be a bit fake the place. Your not in LA , your next to a sewage plant , a power station and your on the Northside , relax.

Now Raheny is no longer a poor man's anything and - impossible to get anything at a reasonable price.
    Mad to say - but areas you would not be caught dead in 20 years ago are suddenly attractive enough - Killbarrack , Artane, Edenmore , Donnycarney.

It is mad to say – and joked about here , but there are parts of Coolock and not far from Darndale that will become attractive enough – as they are simply cheaper areas with access to everything. These areas have outstanding access to the city and all the joys of the northside. But you can buy here - and a house in Dublin at the end of the day is what people want.

I sound like an estate agent now :D

Short answer Raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Finglas, home of DJ Spirals

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Raheny, or anywhere near it, but Raheny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Dublin airport for me. !

Advertisement