Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Omagh bombing - 20 years ago today

• 15-08-2018 3:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2

10 minutes ago from this post.

RIP 29.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Can't believe it's 20 years. I remember it so vividly.

RIP.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 justice league

Can't believe it's 20 years. I remember it so vividly.

RIP.

There's a reflective service in the town ATM.

I also can't believe it's 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hope the person or persons that carried this sick act out are either dead or suffering a horrible illness and then death.

Sad for all the family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I drove through the town that morning with my family on our way to our holidays. A sad day for this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Sad for all the family and friends.

A good friend of mine's uncle was leaning against the car when it exploded. How a family ever moves on from that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

What were they actually hoping to achieve from this? Like I get why Al-Queda do what they do? I get why ISIS do what they do. I can see why ETA would bomb Madrid but this never made sense to me at all. Omagh is a majority Catholic and presumably pro-Irish town. Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

shakeitoff wrote: »
    What were they actually hoping to achieve from this? Like I get why Al-Queda do what they do? I get why ISIS do what they do. I can see why ETA would bomb Madrid but this never made sense to me at all. Omagh is a majority Catholic and presumably pro-Irish town. Bizarre.

Nothing. They wanted to cause as much mayhem and death as possible to send a message that they didn't agree with the Good Friday Agreement. I think it galvanised people who wanted peace though so had the opposite effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

shakeitoff wrote: »

In short, it was because they were not merely cruel and reckless, but also completely incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Everyone who has ever professed support for murdering terrorist scum of any persuasion should be made read that aloud.

I remember the panic around Buncrana that night, mobile phones were scarce enough and reception was scarcer, I think there was only about twenty of the fifty five that came back on the bus.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The image I always think of in relation to Omagh, the photograph taken seconds before the red car blew up, with some people from this photograph killed, and the photographer!

Omagh_imminent.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A despicable and horrific atrocity. Omagh had largely escaped the violence of the Troubles untik this bombing. It was the work of the dissident republicans lookung to destroy the Good Friday Agreement. It backired big time.

My cousin was very lucky. He was in Omagh that day and narrowly missed the explosion. 29 innocent people were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

They made a film about it about tenish (could be a lot more) years ago. They used the street in Navan where our shop is. Changed our shop front and we had to stand around out of view of our window. On the Sunday of filming, they set up the aftermath. It was chilling and very upsetting. . That was just a movie set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

cbyrd wrote: »
    They made a film about it about tenish (could be a lot more) years ago. They used the street in Navan where our shop is. Changed our shop front and we had to stand around out of view of our window. On the Sunday of filming, they set up the aftermath. It was chilling and very upsetting. . That was just a movie set.

Not easy watching!

Advertisement