Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terrorist attack happen in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    I'm forced to agree.

If there is a united Ireland, and let's face the fact that it's more likely to happen now compared to before, the loyalist groups would undoubtedly pose the largest threat, the UDA, UVF etc etc.

In order to combat them we'd need a larger army which could involve conscription, the creation of an Air Force and the expansion of the Navy. Once that's happened, it's bye bye neutrality. Sorry lefties.

Yes an enhanced Air Force and Navy is exactly whats needed to confront any guerrilla warfare launched by the loyalists

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

Yes an enhanced Air Force and Navy is exactly whats needed to confront any guerrilla warfare launched by the loyalists

We'd definitely need more soldiers in the Army to combat them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

Again, many people, myself included, would take issue with the Dundalk incident being called terrorism. It was clearly carried out by a mentally ill individual.

Anyone committing violence in furtherance of the application to the legal and political system the ramblings of a 7th century alleged nonce repeating what he heard in a cave off a sky fairy is clearly a bit touched.

It's the fact the government covered up this motivation that is the problem.

We need a study of how common it was for people of Muslim heritage to attack random strangers with knives and vehicles prior to 2014, vs how common it was after 2014.

Because I never heard of it happening before 2014, yet there seems to be a serious bout of non ISIS related mental illness since that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    63,000 as of the 2016 Census. Not that many,but we shouldn't get complacent. One in Waterford was sentenced for sending money to ISIS.

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-jailed-funding-islamic-state-4111114-Jul2018/

It identifies the headbangers or are you just tarring all followers of Islam with the one brush?

Briefly going back to the unionists, we need an enhanced Army with better equipment to put down an all-out conflict started by them. A police force mired with scandals and who aren't given a 9mm pistol or even bulletproof vests at the best of times will be useless against a full-fledged loyalist uprising, hence the deployment of the defence forces.

Very similar to the deployment of the Brits to the Six Counties in the 60s and 70s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Briefly going back to the unionists, we need an enhanced Army with better equipment to put down an all-out conflict started by them. A police force mired with scandals and who aren't given a 9mm pistol or even bulletproof vests at the best of times will be useless against a full-fledged loyalist uprising, hence the deployment of the defence forces.

Very similar to the deployment of the Brits to the Six Counties in the 60s and 70s.

We don't need an enhanced army or better equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

This is a question that is being asked by many people in Ireland at the moment.

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? What would happen if there was?

I'm not talking about groups from the Six Counties here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After recent events, including in Westminster earlier which a man tried to kill a number of people by ramming a car into pedestrians.

Many politicians and senior members of AGS have said that Ireland cannot be immune from terrorism, although an attack is very unlikely.

I agree that a mass-casualty atrocity is more than likely not going to happen, but an incident like what happened in Westminster is very much an underlying possibility.

An Islamist extremist attack here would more than likely come from someone who isn't actually a member of IS or another terrorist organisation, but would probably be inspired by their caused and radicalised, similar to recent attacks in Britain. A vehicle going down Grafton Street or O'Connell Street hitting and likely killing a number of people would be a plausible scenario. An attack similar to that in Manchester involving a bombing at a crowded venue is somewhat likely also.

I won't blame it entirely on immigration, although it could play a part.

In addition, I strongly doubt that the Gardaí could deal with such serious incidents like the scenarios above.

So, do you think Ireland could be next?

Oh sweet summer child (people say that a lot but it’s very poignant here)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing

20 years ago tomorrow.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    We don't need an enhanced army or better equipment.

AGS do. A 9mm pistol and better vehicles would be of benefit for all situations, but as usual calls for these are rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Try_harder wrote: »
    It identifies the headbangers or are you just tarring all followers of Islam with the one brush?

I'm just giving the amount currently in Ireland. If you want to assume anything that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

How can the op discuss the risk of a terror attack and not include the dissedent nationalist and loyalist groups? A bomb is a bomb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Oh sweet summer child (people say that a lot but it’s very poignant here)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing

20 years ago tomorrow.

Ah f*ck. :(

Horrible scummy event.

Still remember the minutes silence in school during the one month anniversary.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

To make a truly united Ireland the invaders should all be sent back to where they came from. No need for any more war here.

How can the op discuss the risk of a terror attack and not include the dissedent nationalist and loyalist groups? A bomb is a bomb!

Islamist extremism is much more prevalent these days.

If a united Ireland happens or a hard border occurs, then the threat from NI terrorists goes back up.

To make a truly united Ireland the invaders should all be sent back to where they came from. No need for any more war here.

I personally would be in support of issuing deportation orders to all hardline unionists to go back to their beloved UK, but I'm not sure if it would be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I'm just giving the amount currently in Ireland. If you want to assume anything that's on you.

How many Islamic headbangers was the question, you gave an unqualified answer

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

They could whack the pope in the park that would be a headline grabber

Normally people go beating the bishop in the park......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Why not? It's certainly a target for Islamic terrorism. Probably a matter of time with the increase in Muslim population.

A tad bit irrelevant, but if Scotland gained independence from the UK I'd imagine there could be some loyalist terrorist organisations forming over there, the same type of people who would support Rangers etc.

There's also the chance that they could collude with loyalist paramilitaries over here should there be a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They dangerous ones (the equivalent of the IRA Godfathers from the past), recruit really stupid ones to do the attacks. Those with criminal records and drug habits. There are just not enough of that sort around to pose a threat in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

To make a truly united Ireland the invaders should all be sent back to where they came from.  No need for any more war here.

I personally would be in support of issuing deportation orders to all hardline unionists to go back to their beloved UK, but I'm not sure if it would be possible.

:woot: Good luck with that, see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No, you answered the question

How many of these Islamist headbangers are there alleged to be in Ireland at this present moment?

with

63,000 as of the 2016 Census. Not that many,but we shouldn't get complacent.

so yes, you are tarring them all with the same brush.

The majority of people in the poll think that a terrorist attack more than likely will happen in Ireland at some point in the near future.

I come back to my comments about the Gardaí and there ability to respond to such an event. Why won't the government legislate for every single Garda to have, say, a Glock 17 9mm pistol. Even the PSNI have them FFS. They are a lot better than the Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistols they currently have and would obviously play a part in waging a or of lives.

Bulletproof vests are another issue, most rank-and-file guards wear stabproof vests.

Don't get me started on the vehicles that AGS have.

The majority of people in the poll think that a terrorist attack more than likely will happen in Ireland at some point in the near future.

I come back to my comments about the Gardaí and there ability to respond to such an event. Why won't the government legislate for every single Garda to have, say, a Glock 17 9mm pistol. Even the PSNI have them FFS. They are a lot better than the Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistols they currently have and would obviously play a part in waging a or of lives.

Bulletproof vests are another issue, most rank-and-file guards wear stabproof vests.

Don't get me started on the vehicles that AGS have.

Anybody agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Anybody agree/disagree?

Havent you had this discussion before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The veil (or in this case, the white pointy hat) slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus Christ.

Some of ye have **** all to worry about clearly.

Reminds me if rednecks in the State worrying about North Korea while their country goes down the crappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How do you define a terrorist attack? Lets say Sean MacDoodle goes mad with a knife in a shopping centre in the name of Jesus. He's considered a madman. Mohamed Al Habib does the same thing in the name of Alah he's considered a terrorist. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the lack of security at events such as concerts, I’m astonished that something similar to the Bataclan or Manchester Arena hasn’t happened here as of yet.

As an example, I walked into a gig in the Olympia a few weeks back without so much as a pat down. I literally could have had almost anything concealed and people would have been none the wiser. Someone with an explosive device could have caused hundreds of deaths in such a small, tight and compact space.

I was in Croke Park a couple of weeks after that and while I was briefly scanned (and briefly is being generous), the next 5 or 6 people in the queue after me were waved ahead without being checked.

Ireland would be a very, very easy target. Unfortunately, I believe it’s only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Paully D wrote: »

Ireland would be a very, very easy target. Unfortunately, I believe it’s only a matter of time.

Don't be fooled into think it isn't easy to wipe out thousands in one attack in the UK. Ever see these Premier League supporters groups who are able to hire a small plane to fly over a full 60,000+ stadium during a match, dragging some lettering to deliver a message to the manager, board of directors or whoever. It's amazing that a small plane can do that so easily. And it always strikes me, it's got lethal potential! There's 100 other gaps in security like that!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

Some of ye have **** all to worry about clearly.

Reminds me if rednecks in the State worrying about North Korea while their country goes down the crappier.

Well one's already happened.
    Along with the obvious advantage of using here for funding and money laundering, as mentioned by UK Police and the lads themselves.

Advertisement