Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terrorist attack happen in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm just giving the amount currently in Ireland. If you want to assume anything that's on you.

No, you answered the question

How many of these Islamist headbangers are there alleged to be in Ireland at this present moment?

with

63,000 as of the 2016 Census. Not that many,but we shouldn't get complacent.

so yes, you are tarring them all with the same brush.

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

The majority of people in the poll think that a terrorist attack more than likely will happen in Ireland at some point in the near future.

I come back to my comments about the Gardaí and there ability to respond to such an event. Why won't the government legislate for every single Garda to have, say, a Glock 17 9mm pistol. Even the PSNI have them FFS. They are a lot better than the Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistols they currently have and would obviously play a part in waging a or of lives.

Bulletproof vests are another issue, most rank-and-file guards wear stabproof vests.

Don't get me started on the vehicles that AGS have.

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    The majority of people in the poll think that a terrorist attack more than likely will happen in Ireland at some point in the near future.

I come back to my comments about the Gardaí and there ability to respond to such an event. Why won't the government legislate for every single Garda to have, say, a Glock 17 9mm pistol. Even the PSNI have them FFS. They are a lot better than the Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistols they currently have and would obviously play a part in waging a or of lives.

Bulletproof vests are another issue, most rank-and-file guards wear stabproof vests.

Anybody agree/disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Anybody agree/disagree?

Havent you had this discussion before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm just giving the amount currently in Ireland. If you want to assume anything that's on you.

The veil (or in this case, the white pointy hat) slipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus Christ.

Some of ye have **** all to worry about clearly.

Reminds me if rednecks in the State worrying about North Korea while their country goes down the crappier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How do you define a terrorist attack? Lets say Sean MacDoodle goes mad with a knife in a shopping centre in the name of Jesus. He's considered a madman. Mohamed Al Habib does the same thing in the name of Alah he's considered a terrorist. What's the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the lack of security at events such as concerts, I’m astonished that something similar to the Bataclan or Manchester Arena hasn’t happened here as of yet.

As an example, I walked into a gig in the Olympia a few weeks back without so much as a pat down. I literally could have had almost anything concealed and people would have been none the wiser. Someone with an explosive device could have caused hundreds of deaths in such a small, tight and compact space.

I was in Croke Park a couple of weeks after that and while I was briefly scanned (and briefly is being generous), the next 5 or 6 people in the queue after me were waved ahead without being checked.

Ireland would be a very, very easy target. Unfortunately, I believe it’s only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Paully D wrote: »

Ireland would be a very, very easy target. Unfortunately, I believe it’s only a matter of time.

Don't be fooled into think it isn't easy to wipe out thousands in one attack in the UK. Ever see these Premier League supporters groups who are able to hire a small plane to fly over a full 60,000+ stadium during a match, dragging some lettering to deliver a message to the manager, board of directors or whoever. It's amazing that a small plane can do that so easily. And it always strikes me, it's got lethal potential! There's 100 other gaps in security like that!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

Some of ye have **** all to worry about clearly.

Reminds me if rednecks in the State worrying about North Korea while their country goes down the crappier.

Well one's already happened.
    Along with the obvious advantage of using here for funding and money laundering, as mentioned by UK Police and the lads themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Paully D wrote: »
    With the lack of security at events such as concerts, I’m astonished that something similar to the Bataclan or Manchester Arena hasn’t happened here as of yet.

As an example, I walked into a gig in the Olympia a few weeks back without so much as a pat down. I literally could have had almost anything concealed and people would have been none the wiser. Someone with an explosive device could have caused hundreds of deaths in such a small, tight and compact space.

I was in Croke Park a couple of weeks after that and while I was briefly scanned (and briefly is being generous), the next 5 or 6 people in the queue after me were waved ahead without being checked.

If these lunatics want to blow themselves and anyone around them up, all the security pat downs in the world won't stop them. Could take out just as many people in a security queue as they could inside the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Very similar to the deployment of the Brits to the Six Counties in the 60s and 70s.

How did that work out?

badtoro wrote: »
    How did that work out?

Not great:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The next thing we need to face is this:
    Full list of defendants and charges
    Banaras Hussain aged 37, of Shipley, is charged with one count of rape of a female over 16
    Banaris Hussain, aged 35, of Huddersfield, is charged with one count of rape of a girl aged 13 – 15
    Mohammed Suhail Arif, aged 30, of Huddersfield, is charged with rape of girl aged 13-15
    Iftikar Ali, aged 37, of Huddersfield, is charged with attempted rape of girl aged 13-15 and three counts of rape of a girl aged 13-15
    Mohammed Sajjad, aged 31, of Huddersfield, is charged with four counts of rape of a female age 13-15, one rape of a girl under 13 and facilitating the commission of a child sex offence
    Fehreen Rafiq, aged 38, of Huddersfield, she is charged with two counts of facilitating the commission of a child sex offence
    Umar Zaman, aged 30, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of rape of a female aged 13-15
    Basharat Hussain, aged 31, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of rape of a female aged 13-15
    Amin Ali Choli, aged 36, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of rape of a female over 16-years-old
    Shaqeel Hussain, aged 35, of Dewsbury, is charged with rape of a female aged 13-15 and two counts of trafficking
    Mubasher Hussain, aged 35, of Huddersfield, is charged with rape of a female aged 13-15 and sexual assault. Abdul Majid, aged 34, of Huddersfield
    is charged with two counts of rape of female aged 13-15
    Mohammed Dogar, aged 35, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of facilitating the commission of child sex offence
    Usman Ali, aged 32, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of rape of a female aged 13-15
    Mohammed Waqas Anwar, aged 29, of Huddersfield, is charged with five counts of rape of a female aged 13-15
    Gul Riaz, aged 42, of Huddersfield, is charged with rape of a female aged 13-15
    Mohammed Akram, aged 41, of Huddersfield, is charged with two counts of trafficking with a view to sexual exploitation of a female and rape of a female aged 14-15
    Manzoor Akhtar, aged 29, of Huddersfield, is charged with trafficking and three counts of rape of a female aged 13-15
    Samuel Fikru, aged 30, of Camden, has been charged with two counts of rape of female aged 13-15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Islamist extremism is much more prevalent these days.

If a united Ireland happens or a hard border occurs, then the threat from NI terrorists goes back up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Continuity_IRA_actions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Irish_Republican_Army#2012-present:_Since_the_merger_(%22New_IRA%22) FRom that second link
    In December 2017, MI5 said that Northern Ireland has the highest level of terrorist activity of anywhere in Europe with attacks being disrupted weekly. Over 250 seizures, thwarted attacks, and counter-terrorist operations are reported to have been undertaken by British security services.[132]

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

I'll level with you - I never thought for a second that was over - too many idiots like that Ryan bloke who was shot. "Real IRA" me hole, they wouldn't be able to spell Collins let alone know his goals.

I'd consider the 12th hoopla to be terrorism too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Comparing the 12th to those who plant bombs and murder people is one of the daftest things iv seen on here. On the 20th anniversary of Omagh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'll level with you - I never thought for a second that was over - too many idiots like that Ryan bloke who was shot. "Real IRA" me hole, they wouldn't be able to spell Collins let alone know his goals.

I'd consider the 12th hoopla to be terrorism too.

The chances of an islamic terrorist attack here is very slim. It's not impossible but it's very unlikely.

The chances of a terrorist attack by the paramilitaries is very real. It's 100% that something will happen, the only question is whether it'll be big or small or when it will occur.

I do think gardai should monitor all threats but the majority of resources should be focused on the biggest threat.
    Thankfully the PSNI and Gardai have a huge amount of experience in this stuff.

Taytoland wrote: »
    Comparing the 12th to those who plant bombs and murder people is one of the daftest things iv seen on here. On the 20th anniversary of Omagh too.

In the words of Mandy Rice-Davies "you would, wouldn't you ?"

The purposes of terrorism is to promote fear. I'd argue sectarian nonsense easily slots in to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

No they don't, that wasn't the question in the poll at all. I voted yes because of course it's a possibility but I strongly disagree with your sentence in bold above.

This thread is a load of nonsense, (very) thinly veiled agenda more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

How many of these Islamist headbangers are there alleged to be in Ireland at this present moment?

I'd say there's about 17 million of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Every time there's an attack in the UK or elsewhere in Europe the same question is asked and so far thankfully the answer is no. Is there a chance it could happen yes of course there is but I don't believe we are at a high risk here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

We are far more at risk from domestic terror

Advertisement