Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Medicine - UCC or UL?

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Weighing up my options and trying to decide which course and college is better to attend for grad med (excluding courses in Dublin)? Taking all factors into account; course reputation, teaching hospitals available, university facilities, which city is best to live in etc. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sneakysnake007

TeaJ wrote:
    Weighing up my options and trying to decide which course and college is better to attend for grad med (excluding courses in Dublin)? Taking all factors into account; course reputation, teaching hospitals available, university facilities, which city is best to live in etc. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Hi TeaJ,

I am also weighing up Cork and Limerick for GEM. I have heard from a teaching staff member in the medical department of NUIG that the UL graduates are second to none and very impressive when they hit the rounds for their placement. I haven't done much research on the medical hospitals but the new UL medical building has been recently completed and worth 15million euro.

Another thing I'm looking into is the PBL style teaching of UL versus the traditional teaching and lecturing style of UCC.

I'm swaying towards Limerick myself. From Google Maps, there is an aldi nearby the campus and the sports centre there is the best in the country. I suppose we all have different things we are looking for!

Which one are you swaying towards? I must actually research the hospitals, it is something that has slipped my mind to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeaJ

Cheers for the reply. I'm very open to attending both, visited Limerick recently and was so impressed by the university and the way they run things in the med school. After 4 years of lectures, PBL would be a nice change.

Will really need to visit UCC before making a decision tho. I think Cork would probably be a more desirable spot to live in but in the grand scheme of things, that's not that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sneakysnake007

I missed the Limerick open day but I'm still fairly set on attending UL. I've been to Cork many times and love the city itself. But like you said, it's not the most important thing to look for. Yea I really like the sound of PBL and this is what's drawing me to Limerick. I've accepted it may be difficult at the start so I am not intimidated by it. I've been waiting so long to study medicine at this stage I'm just very happy I'll have the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

Hey all, I'm a current 1st year here in UL GEMS- if you've any specific questions about the course, teaching method, life, study, accommodation and prices, please feel free to ask.

I'd be only too happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TeaJ

Thanks man. Really just want to find out more about the PBL aspect of the course? Does the majority of the class enjoy it as a change to conventional didactic structured courses? Also, do you know of anyone who regrets not going to Limerick for that reason? I'm pretty interested in the PBL way of doing things and don't know if I could go into 9-5 lectures again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

TeaJ wrote: »
    Thanks man. Really just want to find out more about the PBL aspect of the course? Does the majority of the class enjoy it as a change to conventional didactic structured courses? Also, do you know of anyone who regrets not going to Limerick for that reason? I'm pretty interested in the PBL way of doing things and don't know if I could go into 9-5 lectures again.

No one regrets not going to UL. Sham course down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hmm, pretty extraordinary statement to be coming out with. As a current GEM student of another irish medical student, anecdotally I've heard that UL GEM grads are very impressive on the wards.

So where are you studying? Your comment is entirely unfounded unless you can back it up with supported material

TeaJ wrote: »

TeaJ I'll mail you privately and happy to talk over the phone or meet for a coffee and discuss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lucky18

Hey there! I am also stuck between UCC and UL. Would you be able to give me some info also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Went to UCC. They also have a relatively new health campus. New ASSERT centre just open for technology and simulation assisted learning. Mixture of PBL and lectures, weighted towards lectures. Really enjoyed it. Nice variety of hospitals to rotate thorough too.

The comment about students on the wards, pinch of salt needed there. Regardless of where they are from some are great some are terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Go to Ucc. Lovely campus. Brookfield is great. UL is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Billydolan

UCC is awful. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PyramidUp

This has been a very helpful thread... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 teaparty

lucky18 wrote: »
    Hey there! I am also stuck between UCC and UL. Would you be able to give me some info also?
    So have you made any decisions? I'm still unsure where to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

I finished first year in UL GEMS yesterday and just wanted to share a few thoughts. There are some really detailed posts here from a while back that are still totally relevant so try to find those if you haven't already!

I think the most important thing to say is that GEMS does not deserve the reputation it has. Yes, there are aspects of the school that are frustrating but having attended a Dublin university that offers a GEM course for my undergrad, I know that every college has its bad points. Overall, I really enjoyed the year in Limerick and will be looking forward to coming back - but not until I've thoroughly enjoyed our 11 weeks off :D

In terms of teaching, I was unsure of what to expect from PBL but I would say that it was really good most of the time. It can be frustrating as you feel that you are essentially teaching yourself but as the months go by and you get to know your classmates, you get the hang of it and start to benefit from it a lot more. I found that it was really engaging most of the time and a refreshing new way to learn. While it can be stressful, it's effective. You definitely learn. No cramming material you haven't even seen before at the end of the semester. Sitting for 40 hours a week in lectures no longer sounds appealing to me. Most weeks, there are a couple of lectures to supplement PBL but these aren't mandatory. I attended some really good lectures and some really poor ones this year, same as every other course.

Clinical teaching is second to none from what I can gather. We usually had two sessions a week and learned a wide range of skills throughout the year. It was all quite introductory this year, examining each other and "normal" patients in the OCASE exams but next year, they're going build on our knowledge and obviously this is just going to be a solid base for the clinical years. All tutors are practicing GPs and most of them are absolutely brilliant.

Anatomy has just not been my thing this year. Again, teaching is self-directed - you are given material to work through and then there is an hour and a half session once a week where some topics are covered. An hour and a half is nowhere near enough. The sessions were also not compulsory so I only attended a handful as I wasn't keen on the format. It appears to be possible to pass regardless, so I'm happy enough to just do enough to do that. It doesn't seem to have any bearing on future careers, which I know is a concern for a lot of people - plenty of GEMS grads are going the surgical path.

There are around 135 people in my class and among that group are some of the loveliest people I have ever met. Graduate medicine is an extremely demanding and stressful course but I have found the support in Limerick to be absolutely fantastic. Same goes for staff - lots of support if required.

Like I say, there have been frustrations of course, but the good has definitely outweighed the bad in my opinion. That's just a very vague overview of my year but if anyone wants to PM me with specific questions, please feel free - I'd be happy to help if I can. At the end of the day, you'll leave every university with a medical degree - it's what you do with it that matters in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 teaparty

Inca2, Thank you so much for that! It's great to hear a fresh and recent experience of you having just completed first year! Thanks a mill. Opinions are a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

inca2 wrote: »
    I finished first year in UL GEMS yesterday and just wanted to share a few thoughts. There are some really detailed posts here from a while back that are still totally relevant so try to find those if you haven't already!

I think the most important thing to say is that GEMS does not deserve the reputation it has. Yes, there are aspects of the school that are frustrating but having attended a Dublin university that offers a GEM course for my undergrad, I know that every college has its bad points. Overall, I really enjoyed the year in Limerick and will be looking forward to coming back - but not until I've thoroughly enjoyed our 11 weeks off :D

In terms of teaching, I was unsure of what to expect from PBL but I would say that it was really good most of the time. It can be frustrating as you feel that you are essentially teaching yourself but as the months go by and you get to know your classmates, you get the hang of it and start to benefit from it a lot more. I found that it was really engaging most of the time and a refreshing new way to learn. While it can be stressful, it's effective. You definitely learn. No cramming material you haven't even seen before at the end of the semester. Sitting for 40 hours a week in lectures no longer sounds appealing to me. Most weeks, there are a couple of lectures to supplement PBL but these aren't mandatory. I attended some really good lectures and some really poor ones this year, same as every other course.

Clinical teaching is second to none from what I can gather. We usually had two sessions a week and learned a wide range of skills throughout the year. It was all quite introductory this year, examining each other and "normal" patients in the OCASE exams but next year, they're going build on our knowledge and obviously this is just going to be a solid base for the clinical years. All tutors are practicing GPs and most of them are absolutely brilliant.

Anatomy has just not been my thing this year. Again, teaching is self-directed - you are given material to work through and then there is an hour and a half session once a week where some topics are covered. An hour and a half is nowhere near enough. The sessions were also not compulsory so I only attended a handful as I wasn't keen on the format. It appears to be possible to pass regardless, so I'm happy enough to just do enough to do that. It doesn't seem to have any bearing on future careers, which I know is a concern for a lot of people - plenty of GEMS grads are going the surgical path.

There are around 135 people in my class and among that group are some of the loveliest people I have ever met. Graduate medicine is an extremely demanding and stressful course but I have found the support in Limerick to be absolutely fantastic. Same goes for staff - lots of support if required.

Like I say, there have been frustrations of course, but the good has definitely outweighed the bad in my opinion. That's just a very vague overview of my year but if anyone wants to PM me with specific questions, please feel free - I'd be happy to help if I can. At the end of the day, you'll leave every university with a medical degree - it's what you do with it that matters in the long run.
    Thank you for this lovely post!
    Are there a lot of non-Irish/British students on the program? Do you know how much support the school provides for those wanting to go and practice in their home countries after graduation?
    Also, what is the average age of students on the program?

No problem!

Of the class of 130+, I think there's about 40-45 from Canada or the US, and maybe 15 or so EU students (mainly UK). There seems to be quite a bit of support for people wanting to go abroad to work - there's lots of focus on USMLE and Canadian boards in 2nd year onwards but even quite a lot of the Irish students apply for jobs in the UK, so I don't think there should be any problem at all getting back home. I'll probably know more about it from next year onwards as it becomes more of a reality :) there's definitely a huge amount of support from the student body as far as I can tell - lots of sharing of information goes on between the years - so I'd imagine it would be the same when it comes to applying for jobs/electives etc.

There's a big enough age range - we had some 21-year-olds starting out, right up to late 30s. Average age was probably 24/25? I know there are some older students in the upper years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Riaa

Hi! I didn't want to start a new thread for this as I suppose it seems to be a big difference between UL and UCC - I am just wondering if anyone knows why UL do not offer a BAO when all other Irish GEM courses do? Does this make the course inferior ? Would this hinder a UL GEM graduates chances at ever specializing in Obstetrics?

I'm kicking myself for only realizing the lack of a BAO now and wondering if putting UL before UCC on my CAO was a huge mistake!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Thanks inca. :)

Just wondering how you found the workload? Were the exams difficult, what type of assessment is most commonly used etc.

Riaa wrote: »
    Hi! I didn't want to start a new thread for this as I suppose it seems to be a big difference between UL and UCC - I am just wondering if anyone knows why UL do not offer a BAO when all other Irish GEM courses do? Does this make the course inferior ? Would this hinder a UL GEM graduates chances at ever specializing in Obstetrics?

I'm kicking myself for only realizing the lack of a BAO now and wondering if putting UL before UCC on my CAO was a huge mistake!!

Absolutely not - I know a couple of UL grads on the Obs/Gynae schemes currently. The lack of a "BAO" means nothing. I asked about why the degree title is different before, it's to do with the fact that UL's medical school is much newer than the other Irish schools - only one established this century. Wikipedia says "the letters BAO stand for Baccalaureus in Arte Obstetricia (Bachelor of Obstetrics), a degree unique to Ireland which the Irish universities added in the 19th century as the legislation at the time insisted on a final examination in obstetrics". We all do final exams in Obs regardless these days. A lot of the medical degrees in the U.K. are BMBS too as far as I'm aware. So don't panic, same degree!

Thanks inca. :)

Just wondering how you found the workload? Were the exams difficult, what type of assessment is most commonly used etc.

The workload is fairly intense! But the advantage is that you're having to learn consistently, so I think it was probably easier to revise towards the end of the semesters as the material was somewhat familiar (for the most part). There aren't very many mandatory sessions either so it's not as if you're spending all day in college and then having to come home and study. PBL is 3 hours on a Tuesday and 2 hours on Friday, clinical skills is usually 2 sessions a week (an hour and a half most Mondays and 3 hours on a Thursday). Anatomy is an hour and a half on Mondays (but not compulsory) and then some lectures through the week (mostly Wednesday) and if they are compulsory, you'll be told.

We had written exams before Christmas and just last week. We had three written exams each time and a practical OCASE exam at summer. The main issue is in the volume of material. I didn't find any of it particularly difficult, there is just so much to cover and retain in a short space of time. The key seems to be in finding a system that suits you and keeping up-to-date throughout the year - that usually takes some time! I found the exams themselves generally ok, fair enough - but I just hadn't left myself enough time to learn everything thoroughly. But fingers crossed! And I've learned my lesson for next year, hopefully :)

We had a bit of continuous assessment too - we had to submit videos of us carrying out clinical skills, we had a couple of essays on professional competencies (health law and ethics and the like) and also a presentation. We had to meet patients in small groups and report back our findings to the class - it focused heavily on the social side of things rather than the illnesses they were suffering from, it was quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Riaa

Ahh thank you so much inca2! I've had my sights set on Limerick for a while so that's amazing to hear :)

Riaa wrote: »
    Ahh thank you so much inca2! I've had my sights set on Limerick for a while so that's amazing to hear :)

No worries :) happy to answer any questions. Hope to see you in GEMS in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

No problem!

Of the class of 130+, I think there's about 40-45 from Canada or the US, and maybe 15 or so EU students (mainly UK). There seems to be quite a bit of support for people wanting to go abroad to work - there's lots of focus on USMLE and Canadian boards in 2nd year onwards but even quite a lot of the Irish students apply for jobs in the UK, so I don't think there should be any problem at all getting back home. I'll probably know more about it from next year onwards as it becomes more of a reality :) there's definitely a huge amount of support from the student body as far as I can tell - lots of sharing of information goes on between the years - so I'd imagine it would be the same when it comes to applying for jobs/electives etc.

There's a big enough age range - we had some 21-year-olds starting out, right up to late 30s. Average age was probably 24/25? I know there are some older students in the upper years too.
    Thank you!

UL have a GEMS Information Day on Saturday October 21st. Should be worth attending for those interested in pursuing gradmed. I'm going to go anyway! Does anyone know if the other universities run similar information days? :)

RCSI do, think they actually have two - November and possibly January? I went to one and really enjoyed it. I didn't go to the one in UL but have heard that it's excellent. Students take part in mock PBL sessions, which is really interesting because it shows you what you'll actually be doing here. I've volunteered to take part this year so might bump into some of you that are coming :) everyone here is so willing to answer questions and help out so I hope you'll enjoy and benefit from it!

RCSI do, think they actually have two - November and possibly January? I went to one and really enjoyed it. I didn't go to the one in UL but have heard that it's excellent. Students take part in mock PBL sessions, which is really interesting because it shows you what you'll actually be doing here. I've volunteered to take part this year so might bump into some of you that are coming :) everyone here is so willing to answer questions and help out so I hope you'll enjoy and benefit from it!

Thanks for the info! Definitely going to go to the one in UL. I just saw that RCSI have an event on the 4th of November. Don't think I'll go to it, but I'll see nearer the time. At the moment I'm leaning towards doing GEM in UL, followed by UCC/UCD. Hoping to get a good snapshot of what the course in UL is like during the information day, and if I like it then it will be my first choice. I just wish I had the GAMSAT results already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

any figures on United States match rates?

I heard match rate is poor, and students are banned from sitting usmle if they do poorly.

Unfortunately UL isn't eligible for funding for US students due to poor usmle exam scores in the past.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international

Advertisement