Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2017 Exam Info & Study Group

Options
  • 04-04-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey,

I am in my final year of a BA in Psychology and next March in Dublin I have decided to sit the GAMSAT. I finish my final exams mid May - thats when I plan on beginning to prep for the GAMSAT. I am interested in setting up a study group (Dublin or Kildare as I am willing to travel, I am based in Kildare) in order to bounce ideas off each other and share information and hopefully increase productivity for anyone in the area that is also thinking of sitting the same exam in 2017. If anyone is interested in joining me, you can PM me or comment below. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

I am based in Dublin and would be interested. I am just finishing a Masters and have a limited science background so I am trying to teach myself chem and physics atm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm also considering sitting the GAMSAT in March 2017, I've only really started looking into it the past couple of days. I'm coming from a business background, but would have done Physics and Chemistry in the LC many many years ago!

Any idea when the closing date for applications is? And do most people do classes or just study by themselves?

Total newbie to all of this so would appreciate any info/advice from those more in the know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

GAMSAT info can be found here https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/register/test-centres

If possible, do the exam in September 2016. Get the experience. You might do really well.

You would do well if you write 2 essays everyday under an hour. There are a list of topics to choose from in Gold Standard book or you can google to find topics.

I had no science background going into the exam but wrote a fine essay. I have now finished 2nd year.

Do the exam in September.

There is a Facebook study group formed for anyone thinking of studying for it. Currently there are four of us! If anyone else wants to join you are very welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Maat wrote: »
    There is a Facebook study group formed for anyone thinking of studying for it. Currently there are four of us! If anyone else wants to join you are very welcome! :)

Throw me the link in a pm.

• Advertisement

Throw me the link in a pm.

It's a closed group so if you want me to add you message me your account and I'll add you.

For anyone interested in joining we are hoping to meet in Dublin regularly but have yet to work out times etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

I strongly URGE people to register for the UK September sitting for practice. I really can't stress this enough. Don't put everything into Dublin in 2017.

Source: I did this and got a very good score (97th percentile)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Would also strongly recommend giving it a go in September. I sat it in March after 3 months of very part-time study and scored 58 so it's worth a try, even if just for the practice.

I've also noticed that Dublin has been added as a new venue for September so a trip to the UK isn't even required anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hyoid

Just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience in case it could help anyone.

I sat the gamsat 3 times, first time in my last year of college where I got 51 points, second in UK last September where I received 58 points, and finally in March of this year where I achieved a score 61, which should secure me a place this September.

The science section was always what held me back as I come from a non-science background. What really helped me in this was going to a science tutor and running through the test papers with them. A lot of the time the questions did not actually require prior knowledge of science but just needed careful deconstruction.
    Sometimes though you absolutely need to understand scientific concepts/formulas in order to succeed. The tutor really helped with this as did the Khan Academy website.

Of course the price of private lessons with a tutor can be prohibitive but if you are working as I was it is manageable. I think it's probably cheaper overall than the gold standard courses too, although I don't know much about them.

Anyways keep at it and good luck with your studies you guys! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Starfish25

Hi all.

For the entry requirements to GEM:

Do you have to have LC chemistry?

As well as your 2:1 degree & GAMSAT results?

Thanks in advance (sorry if this is already clarified in forum, can't see it on this phone)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Nope it's obviously an advantage for when you're sitting the GAMSATs, but it's not a requirement. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Starfish25

Nope it's obviously an advantage for when you're sitting the GAMSATs, but it's not a requirement. :)

Thank you :)

Would also strongly recommend giving it a go in September. I sat it in March after 3 months of very part-time study and scored 58 so it's worth a try, even if just for the practice.

I've also noticed that Dublin has been added as a new venue for September so a trip to the UK isn't even required anymore!

WOW that is MASSIVE

hyoid wrote: »
    Just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience in case it could help anyone.

I sat the gamsat 3 times, first time in my last year of college where I got 51 points, second in UK last September where I received 58 points, and finally in March of this year where I achieved a score 61, which should secure me a place this September.

The science section was always what held me back as I come from a non-science background. What really helped me in this was going to a science tutor and running through the test papers with them. A lot of the time the questions did not actually require prior knowledge of science but just needed careful deconstruction.
    Sometimes though you absolutely need to understand scientific concepts/formulas in order to succeed. The tutor really helped with this as did the Khan Academy website.

Of course the price of private lessons with a tutor can be prohibitive but if you are working as I was it is manageable. I think it's probably cheaper overall than the gold standard courses too, although I don't know much about them.

Anyways keep at it and good luck with your studies you guys! :D

Same both as you, scoring a 60/60/39 :(

My Science is just woeful, with the exception of Physics (A in Higher LC) I never did any in secondary school, now granted I did 2 weeks study for the GAMSAT and hadn't wrote an essay in a couple of years prior to the sitting but I think a 55 in the science section would have brought me up to a 58.

I might give it a go in September, However I think it would be just as a means of besting the exam itself. It would be hard for me to give up my job now with a wife and kids to support to go back to school for 4 years.

Same both as you, scoring a 60/60/39 :(

My Science is just woeful, with the exception of Physics (A in Higher LC) I never did any in secondary school, now granted I did 2 weeks study for the GAMSAT and hadn't wrote an essay in a couple of years prior to the sitting but I think a 55 in the science section would have brought me up to a 58.

I might give it a go in September, However I think it would be just as a means of besting the exam itself. It would be hard for me to give up my job now with a wife and kids to support to go back to school for 4 years.

That's still such a good score for just two weeks study!

I can relate to wanting to best the GAMSAT. Even if I don't get to get into a med school, sitting the GAMSAT has been a personal goal for me for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dr. Sunsh1ne

Hi Guys,

I was on FB searching for the group but it didn't come up in searches. Who can I PM to get involved? Thanks for any info.

Just started to study...a little. It's a big change but I must admit but feels good to be learning and reasoning again after baby brain :) To become a doctor has been a dream of mine for years but between one thing and another it just hasn't happened...yet. Step 1 is just to achieve a good score in the GAMSAT. To put myself in a place where I could get a place in med school would be an achievement in itself at this stage. Just going to break the process down and take it one stage at a time because thinking about it too much introduces the element of fear. And there's certainly no place for FEAR at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dr. Sunsh1ne

Hey Maat,

I'm in the same boat as you- I want to do well on the GAMSAT- it's a benchmark of achievement in and of itself. Hope the studying is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Srdelaney

Hi all, hoping to start a study group to prepare for March 2018. I am based in Wicklow, if anyone in Dublin or close to wicklow is interested please feel free to contact me. All the best in your studies and anyone sitting GAMSAT in September.

Srdelaney wrote: »
    Hi all, hoping to start a study group to prepare for March 2018. I am based in Wicklow, if anyone in Dublin or close to wicklow is interested please feel free to contact me. All the best in your studies and anyone sitting GAMSAT in September.

the one from last year has been extended to 2018 if you still want to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rz1990

Would love to join the study group if it's going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Srdelaney

rz1990 wrote: »
    Would love to join the study group if it's going on!

Hi, I am certainly keen to meet up to study. If yourself or anyone else on thread is available please feel free to message me or post reply in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I have a degree in chem but I'm three years graduated and therefore I will need a lot of refreshment in science, section 1 or 2 will need a lot of work too. I don't really have time for part time study at the minute but I was going to try full time study from mid December till exam. Has anybody tried this approach? I know I'm lucky to be in a position to be able to take that amount of time off work but I would be super disappointed if I didn't hit the mark, never mind somewhat embarrassed. Anyone here do the courses before or is self prep suffice?

milhous wrote: »
    I have a degree in chem but I'm three years graduated and therefore I will need a lot of refreshment in science, section 1 or 2 will need a lot of work too. I don't really have time for part time study at the minute but I was going to try full time study from mid December till exam. Has anybody tried this approach? I know I'm lucky to be in a position to be able to take that amount of time off work but I would be super disappointed if I didn't hit the mark, never mind somewhat embarrassed. Anyone here do the courses before or is self prep suffice?

I think a lot of the courses are a huge waste of money so I would definitely beware. If you like independent learning you should be grand I'd say.

I think a lot of the courses are a huge waste of money so I would definitely beware. If you like independent learning you should be grand I'd say.

Don't particularly like independent learning, I would like some guidance but I don't wanna be conned out of a grand either and be none the wiser. I wonder if anyone has done the courses and found that they stood to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

A real waste of money, if you ask me. I would stick with doing all the practice papers that you can, read widely, and use a solid textbook for each of the three sciences.

Recap wrote: »
    A real waste of money, if you ask me. I would stick with doing all the practice papers that you can, read widely, and use a solid textbook for each of the three sciences.

The science should be fine to cover, well i only havr 1st year college bio and physics but I can do most of that myself once I get practise papers. I think I'll struggle with section 1 and 2 possibly as I've never been much of a writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

The science should be fine to cover, well i only havr 1st year college bio and physics but I can do most of that myself once I get practise papers. I think I'll struggle with section 1 and 2 possibly as I've never been much of a writer.
    There are a number of great resources and you have lots of time to work on it. Do you have any friends who would be willing to proofread your essays and give honest feedback?

There are a number of great resources and you have lots of time to work on it. Do you have any friends who would be willing to proofread your essays and give honest feedback?

Yeah id have people for that, will be starting from basics, I'll find them online and take it from there I suppose. If anyone knows good free resources aimed at gamsat please let me know.

Just saw this from other thread, fairly comprehensive list of resources tbf:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4527566

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MK2468

I am also hoping to sit the 2018 exam. Is it still possible to join?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MK2468

Srdelaney wrote: »

Hi I am also hoping to sit the 2018 exam. Is it still possible to join the study group?

Advertisement