Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UARS Satellite Possible Fireball 23RD

Options
  • 22-09-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

I know this is also on the astronomy forum but i wanted to get as many people looking up at the sky 2moro for some "space weather " possibibly heading our way. MODs decide what you seem fit .

NASA has issued an update on the condition of the decaying UARS satellite: "As of 1:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 21, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 120 mi by 130 mi (190 km by 205 km). Re-entry is expected sometime during the afternoon of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 to 48 hours." Check the Simple Satellite Tracker for last-chance sighting opportunities.

So if anyone has any time-lapse or recording equipment , wouldnt be a bad idea to try record a large portion of the sky as possible from tomorrow. Its not so often we get a Fireball forecasted for an area in which we could see it. :)
    e
    Ps : If it happens right over ireland 2moro when im in work between 5-9........I will be one UN HAPPY CAMPER!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That's really exciting and thanks, could you keep us updated please ? don't get a chance to go online at all at work and I find these satellite tracking sites a bit tedious to figure out to be honest.
    Any chance it might be night here by the time it flies/bursts by ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Any chance it might be night here by the time it flies/bursts by ?

TMK, at this time [which can change] it's 2.00 ~ 2.30AM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

When is it expected to fall exactly?
    Heard some people mentioning tonight and some tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

On the 9 o'clock news they said it would be tonight, but if there is any remnants left, there could also be the possibility of a fireball tomorrow on the next orbit. Unfortunately, it's a bit late for me,good luck to anyone sky watching :)

Just showed on bbc news a map of all the satellites surrounding the earth in space, its amazing and quite frightening what is surrounding us.
    It said late tomorrow evening it will fall and they will only know 2 hours before where it will fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if this will be visable tonight? if so would I be right in saying between 2.30-3.30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Just saw the news here and they said somewhere hear the coast of Chile. That gives them a decent margin of error. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me if this will be visable tonight? if so would I be right in saying between 2.30-3.30?

http://heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=21701&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

Over the Northern part of the country tonight, don't know what time.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Pangea wrote: »
    Just showed on bbc news a map of all the satellites surrounding the earth in space, its amazing and quite frightening what is surrounding us.
    It said late tomorrow evening it will fall and they will only know 2 hours before where it will fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

This from spaceweather.com
    UARS_decay_2011_Sep_23_UTC_v1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Real time tracking on heavens above says it's making a pass just North of the country in about 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Did it fall ? Nasa said if you find any of it to contact your local law enforcement agency :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'll be seriously sad if this falls in full view for Ireland while im in work!!! :(:(:(:(

Nasa arent great at giving regular updates now are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's very unlikely to fall near Ireland. We're a very small target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭lolie

Confab wrote: »
    It's very unlikely to fall near Ireland. We're a very small target.

Not that unlikely either. Nasa now rekon it'll probably come down after midnight and its due to pass over Ireland at 11.33 and 1.03 tonight so here's hoping. Forecast is for rain spreading across this evening to clear later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UPDATE 4:30pm Friday: Solar wind is no longer the main influence on the orbital decay of UARS. As a result, the satellite's descent has slowed down. Re-entry is now expected to take place in the early morning of Saturday.

http://www.astronomy.ie/uars.php

You can follow it here, just refresh it every minute or so to get an idea of how fast it's moving.

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=21701

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

looking like a miss now what. :pac:

The cloud cover is such here (Co Waterford) right now that there won't be a star to be seen any time soon anyway... so the delay might be good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

According to RTE its due to track over Ireland around 2:30 tomorrow morning.

That does fit neatly within the latest estimated re-entry window, 00:00 - 04:00, so re-entry over Ireland is possible.

Have to remember though, it is moving very fast and Ireland is a very small place on a global scale. Only a slim chance it will impact us, IMHO, but worth watching since its still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Have spent the last little while watching it :)

It will be interesting over the next few hours...

Fingers crossed for a Leitrim landing lol

• Advertisement

Well I have followed it too and thanks to those who posted links here and in Astronomy, but have to go to bed now. I promise to post pics as soon as I locate my bit on my land tomorrow morning :D I want a nice cylinder to make a quirky titanium glass top coffee table :p

http://www.astronomy.ie/uars.php
    Taken from the above link

VOkLa.jpg

"As you can see, the flight path carries UARS on a path from west to east.

While the chance of human casualties are extremely low (1 in 3200), if the satellite reenters over Ireland at these times, observers will be able to see extremely bright meteor-like objects blazing through the sky."

Just had a look outside, I can see lots of stars tonight so hopefully Ill see something at half 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

NASA saying 300-700 UTZ is expected re-entry time following a change in orientation of the satellite according to BBC WS report...fair chance of a land strike if it happens in the first hour of that window.
    Still cloudy here...dunno if I'm arsed to stay up for another hour to look south on the chance it clears up...

I think i will stay up too... its not too often we get this kinda opportunity...

When observing earlier I did see 3 shooting stars :D and yup made wishes on them all !!!

Must see too if i can get camera working, but unless it really lights the sky (unlikely) i guess i will just have pics of blackness...:(

Wertz wrote: »
    NASA saying 300-700 UTZ is expected re-entry time.
    Whats UTZ?

Had a look and can't find that time zone. Any chance it was UZT, Uzbekistan Time Asia UTC + 5 hours??

Right heading outside again for a gawk....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Pangea wrote: »
    Whats UTZ?

Not sure what UTZ is but "Re-entry is expected between 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 3 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT)."
    http://www.nasa.gov/rss/uars_update.xml

So i assume it's essentially GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

UTZ is a typo for UTC, I'd say. UTC means Universal Time Co-Ordinated, and is the same as GMT, i.e. one hour behind us during summer (when we operate on IST/BST, GMT+1) and the same time as us during winter.

Gonna head out and have a look in a minute and see if there's anything to be seen!

Well it was a quick gawk... cause its now raining and cloudy. I can only see a very faint light off it but its too miserable to be outside now... :( esp at this hour of night.... sigh....

Ah well... night ya all.... catch a fallen star and put it in your pocket, or perhaps catch a falling satellite and put it in your garden, after notifying the local law enforcement.. of course...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

Spent the last hour watching the skys. Plenty of shooting stars but thats it really. Perfectly clear night for it here in westmeath. Keep us posted if its sighted. Wouldnt want to miss it

Advertisement