Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope of a dry settled spell????

Options
  • 17-09-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭

Even just a few days!!!! I've not cut the lawn in nearly a month. It's like a JUNGLE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It takes a few days to cut your lawn? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

It might now :D back lawn needs a few days to dry out. And the cutting process has to be spread over 3 evenings given the size and time constraints!!! A dry weekend wud sort it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

got mine done on wednesday evening...good thing there is a light on the lawnmower..

Was looking on weather underground there on friday and its like 50 % chance of rain 80% chance of rain 70%chance of rain 90%chance of rain....

bloddy country...

got mine done on wednesday evening...good thing there is a light on the lawnmower..

Was looking on weather underground there on friday and its like 50 % chance of rain 80% chance of rain 70%chance of rain 90%chance of rain....

bloddy country...
    Yes weds and Thursday evening were decent here too. Unfortunately I was bedridden with a virus from then till now. I fear I've missed my window of opportunity ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

km79 wrote: »
    Even just a few days!!!! I've not cut the lawn in nearly a month. It's like a JUNGLE

Maybe in two weeks. Big maybe. You're just going to have to chance your luck one day.

• Advertisement

Looking that way alright. Long wet grass is a wh*re to cut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

John.Icy wrote: »
    It takes a few days to cut your lawn? :rolleyes:

Nah it takes a few days for the lawn to dry out.
    :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Haha, well I'm praying for lots of rain, my neighbours water loving tree's have turned my grass a nice shade of yellow :D:D

Genuine question John what type of trees are they? Wet patch at back area of lawn that I want some for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

km79 wrote: »
    Genuine question John what type of trees are they? Wet patch at back area of lawn that I want some for

Willow would probably sort it for you, but in wet conditions its always going to be dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

weve had a few days of days of settled warm dry weather in september but also a few freezing cold,windy wey ones too!! of the 16 days so far prob bout 5/6 warm days 7/8 horrible freezing rainny days nd maybe 2/3 average days.not too bad! just looking forward to the long cold snowy winter ahead of us now:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The entire month's forecast is for showers/rain I'm afraid. Only the end of the month it looks like picking up but its too far away to tell for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

itl be fairly mild for rest of sept so frost wont be a prob not overly dry though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

I got mine cut Yesterday,, :)

Willow or Alder for wet ground.

Yeah going to get a few alder . Nice tree. Won't be cutting it this evening anyway . Rotten day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

bb1234567 wrote: »
    weve had a few days of days of settled warm dry weather in september but also a few freezing cold,windy wey ones too!! of the 16 days so far prob bout 5/6 warm days 7/8 horrible freezing rainny days nd maybe 2/3 average days.not too bad! just looking forward to the long cold snowy winter ahead of us now:D

Ya think!? What part of the country are you in? I think September has been fairly miserable even by Irish standards. Hardly any sun and cool temperatures - just like the previous three months.

Does anyone know the last day where there wasn't any rain in the entire country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Indian summer especially in the east?http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

I hope that is the case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

All the main models in agreement of a high over Europe now, if it happens then credit to the gfs for picking it up a week ago. Knowing our luck all the fronts just off the west coast will actually come ashore but here's hoping we finally get a week or so of settled weather

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's a week away. We could cling on to hope and we might get 4/5 days of sunshine and low-to-mid 20's. At the moment its very plausible but I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on the systems to the west for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sorry for being an "imby" but this set up can bring long sunny spells and high temperatures to the Dublin area, I've seen it umpteen times before. A southerly with a long track and the fohn effect caused by the Wicklow Mts (with those weird lenticular clouds :)) brings very high temps as I said. The North Wales coast and around the Moray Firth in NE Scotland also are affected by fohn winds and unusually high temps.
    We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see temps in the low 20s this time next week.

Gave it a fairly rough cut last thursday but this week is looking great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grass is amazingly tough stuff, you can leave for months hack it back then mow it until its somewhat domesticated, it'll possibly look terrible and growing patchily but it will come good again with a cutting routine established. (yes my back lawn was in a dreadful state in the spring having not been cut since September)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The west/north west will be just meh this week.

mike65 wrote: »
    Meh would be fine I'm used to that. But 42 mm of rain fri/sat now that will just piss me off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A strong low pressure system a little too close for comfort out to our west Thursday night/Friday morning. The air less than stable Sunday into Monday, especially further west. Wait and see all we can do right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mike65 wrote: »

Yep - as poor as the summer has been in these parts, the West has certainly had it alot worse in terms of rainfall etc. thanx to a persistant Westerly/Atlantic airflow since early May, and that trend looks set to continue:(

Advertisement