Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNA double Helix Nobel laureate stripped of honours for opinions on race

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I just see no reason to presume that someone who is clearly very different physically would be identical mentally. That just seems like a very shaky assumption to me.
    I'd agree. I mean you can have two individuals from the same family and one could be bright and the other a dunce. The thing is if obvious physical and mental differences between people in one population/"race" can be applied to the different populations themselves.

Further on the archaic human stuff: One thing I read last year suggested a possible link between Neandertal DNA and autism and addiction in modern populations. OK, but it seems nobody in the research team asked the obvious next question, which is; OK African folks don't have these particular genes so are they less likely as a population to suffer from autism and addiction? I did a bit of online digging myself and did find that in the US White kids are something like a third more likely to be diagnosed with autism than Black or Hispanic kids. Which seems like a lead, only if you look at the socioeconomic curve and access to medical care it follows the autism diagnostic curve extremely closely. IE poorer kids are less likely to be diagnosed. Poverty cures autism! Tweets Trump. :D Plus American genetics are going to be all sorts of mixes. Another reason that book The Bell Curve was beyond shaky in its conclusions.

I would suspect there could be broad differences in brain function, both in types of intelligence and disorders of the brain between populations, but it's going to be hard to quantify. And that's before the clearly extremely important influence of economics and culture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wibbs wrote: »
    Poverty cures autism! Tweets Trump. :D .

I'd be surprised if he hasn't already!
    I would suspect there could be broad differences in brain function, both in types of intelligence and disorders of the brain between populations, but it's going to be hard to quantify. And that's before the clearly extremely important influence of economics and culture.

The differences could well be miniscule or very diluted and I'm not sure how you'd accurately identify them or quantify them, but it just seems like PC nonsense to deny their very existence.

Absolutely economics, upbringing, education, culture etc. will always be far and away the biggest drivers of any difference and maybe even more importantly, how that difference manifests itself in real life. It's hard to conceive of any test which could accurately and objectively measure intelligence differences between an illiterate Mongolian goat herder and a maths teacher from New York for example - that difference most likely exists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭yoke

I think he was clearly quite an asshole but I honestly can't see why the furore about the suggestion that there might be mental differences between races or even between sexes. There are clear physical differences, to me it would be stranger if there were not mental ones?

As to what those differences are, he seems to have just plucked them from thin air to suit his own clearly racist and sexist views, but that in no way prohibits the existence of any differences at all. It just means he's a bit of a wanker.

The “clear physical differences” are mostly superficial. A Chinese persons jaw works the same way as an Africans, pretty much. There may be slight differences between isolated populations who have huge buck teeth, but no one has deemed it worthy of specific study, as differences between individuals are so large anyway and human populations in general hadn’t been isolated from each other for long enough for large differences to arise.

Now, if we went and isolated some populations for 200,000 years, we’d probably notice some interesting developments, but no major population group in humans has been separated for that long. On top of this intermixing, most genetic indicators imply that humans were nearly wiped out at some stage between 70,000 and 20,000 years ago, and so all current large population groups came mostly from a small pool, leading to diversity only in areas where there was high selective pressure due to geography (eg. skin colour due to solar exposure) but not in areas of low selective pressure (eg. head shape).

The Wikipedia article on this subject is pretty good and will answer a lot of questions on why there aren’t huge observed differences between current ethnicities: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation

Specifically:
    “For example, ~90% of the variation in human head shapes occurs within continental groups, and ~10% separates groups, with a greater variability of head shape among individuals with recent African ancestors (Relethford 2002).

A prominent exception to the common distribution of physical characteristics within and among groups is skin color. Approximately 10% of the variance in skin color occurs within groups, and ~90% occurs between groups (Relethford 2002). This distribution of skin color and its geographic patterning — with people whose ancestors lived predominantly near the equator having darker skin than those with ancestors who lived predominantly in higher latitudes — indicate that this attribute has been under strong selective pressure. Darker skin appears to be strongly selected for in equatorial regions to prevent sunburn, skin cancer, the photolysis of folate, and damage to sweat glands.[45]

I just don’t see the huge and consistent selective pressure for different brain function (as there was for skin colour), based on geography. Exposure to technology is a very recent phenomenon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's hard to conceive of any test which could accurately and objectively measure intelligence differences between an illiterate Mongolian goat herder and a maths teacher from New York for example - that difference most likely exists though.
    Sure, but the next question I would ask is, is it innate? If we very broadly speaking think of the human brain as a muscle, some people are born with more than others, selective stresses on a muscle will make it grow larger, less stress and it'll stay small. The body doesn't like waste or unnecessary growth. It'll grow muscle just enough to operate and survive in a given environment. Someone who needs to use their legs more in an environment will have stronger leg muscles and so on. Muscles are also extremely flexible and scalable.

I would say the human brain is similar. So the Mongolian goat herder could start out with the same brain building blocks as the maths teacher, but the selective pressures on both diverge not long after birth because of the different environment. EG the Mongolian lad doesn't need to learn to read, or write so that avenue doesn't get used, which also massively reduces his exposure to more knowledge beyond his locally required knowledge, his ability to ride a horse is required so that suite of skills gets promoted and on and on these divergent differences go. By adulthood those differences would be stark. Imagine identical twins and one grows up in Mongolia, the other in New York. The Mongolian will be stronger with different skills to the New Yorker and they'd be the exact same genetically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

yoke wrote: »
    The “clear physical differences” are mostly superficial. “

Agreed. It's only really in Leitrim you'll find people with webbed toes or a forked tongue.:D
    On top of this intermixing, most genetic indicators imply that humans were nearly wiped out at some stage between 70,000 and 20,000 years ago, and so all current large population groups came mostly from a small pool, “

According to the lovely Dr. Alice, extensive genetic testing has yet to find a single person of non sub Saharan African descent, who can not be traced back to one tiny group, possibly a single tribe, who crossed from Africa to Arabia during a brief spell when the Sahara greened coupled with a lowering of the red sea levels due to climate disturbance.
    Sure, but the next question I would ask is, is it innate?.

I think any ability has to be innate to some degree, otherwise it couldn't be developed.
    Imagine identical twins and one grows up in Mongolia, the other in New York. The Mongolian will be stronger with different skills to the New Yorker and they'd be the exact same genetically.

Look at Mo Farrahs twin brother. No Olympic medals for him!

• Advertisement

The “clear physical differences” are mostly superficial. A Chinese persons jaw works the same way as an Africans, pretty much. There may be slight differences between isolated populations who have huge buck teeth, but no one has deemed it worthy of specific study, as differences between individuals are so large anyway and human populations in general hadn’t been isolated from each other for long enough for large differences to arise.
    Nope, afraid not. Ask any pathologist. They can lock down with considerable accuracy the population heritage of someone by just looking at a skull. Indeed a single tooth can be diagnostic in this respect. A shovelled incisor or three rooted molars indicate non European origin. There are quite the suite of differences going on. It has and remains quite a large area of research, particularly in medical science, because different therapies and diseases impact different populations in different ways.
    Now, if we went and isolated some populations for 200,000 years, we’d probably notice some interesting developments, but no major population group in humans has been separated for that long. Most genetic indicators say that humans were nearly wiped out about 20,000 years ago in the last ice age,
    Nope again. You're thinking of the Toba eruption bottleneck theory where said volcano went kerblam around 70,000 years ago and caused a genetic bottleneck in humans. It's an out of date theory now and not regarded to have much weight behind it anymore.
    The Wikipedia article on this subject is pretty good and will answer a lot of questions on why there aren’t huge observed differences between current ethnicities: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation

That Wiki article has a fair number of internal contradictions going on, as has much of this field of study. On the one hand it claims low levels of diversity, yet on the other it states this:

Between 4% and 6% of the genome of Melanesians (represented by the Papua New Guinean and Bougainville Islander) are thought to derive from Denisova hominins - a previously unknown species which shares a common origin with Neanderthals. It was possibly introduced during the early migration of the ancestors of Melanesians into Southeast Asia. This history of interaction suggests that Denisovans once ranged widely over eastern Asia.[61]

Thus, Melanesians emerge as the most archaic-admixed population, having Denisovan/Neanderthal-related admixture of ~8%.

So Melanesians have up to eight percent non African, non Modern Human genes. That's a large chunk of change genetics wise going on there. Europeans have between 2-4% non African, non Modern Human genes and that figure and the effects of those genes become greater with every year of research going on. Africans have their own archaic admixture going on too. So if I stand in between Jim from Tanzania and Joe from Tahiti, we individually have a suite of genes that the others simply don't have. Joe will have different teeth to me and Jim, we'll all have different skull features representative of our respective populations.

Now we would be all the same species, Homo sapiens sapiens. Neandertals and Denisovans if they were still around would be sub species of Homo sapiens(they appear to be slightly more related to each other than to us). Erectus would be much further out, though it seems close enough that some may have their genes knocking about). However if we were any other animal I would bet the farm that zoologists would state our species is made up of distinct populations with distinct feature sets and genetics with overlap around the edges.

Consider the domestic dog and the wolf. They are consider subspecies, can have perfectly viable and fertile young together. Earlier you mentioned we only had 20,000 years to diverge(we didn't but we'll let that slide), well the dog and the wolf are less than that as far as genetic and subspecies divergence goes and the genetic difference between the Labrador at your feet and the wolf howling in the wind is less than 1%. How different is a wolf in appearance, physical and mental behaviours, sociability, intelligence and temperament to the domestic dog? Very different. In under 20,000 years and less than one percent difference in their genetics. It doesn't take huge time periods to make quite fundamental changes in an organism, even a complex one like a mammal. Take modern humans: over the last 20,000 years there have been more genetic adaptations to local environmental changes than there were over the previous 40,000 years. Mostly to do with things like diet, but also changes in sperm production and immunity.

Note: I’d edited my earlier post before your reply, so some quotes won’t match.
    Nope, afraid not. Ask any pathologist. They can lock down with considerable accuracy the population heritage of someone by just looking at a skull. Indeed a single tooth can be diagnostic in this respect. A shovelled incisor or three rooted molars indicate non European origin. There are quite the suite of differences going on. It has and remains quite a large area of research, particularly in medical science, because different therapies and diseases impact different populations in different ways.

That’s not what I said - ie. that it was impossible to distinguish the jaws by superficial analysis. I said the way the jaw functions remains the same, and it does.
    You could say the same about the Chinese person’s eyes/eyebrows/eyelids - superficial examination could easily reveal they were from a Chinese person, but the way they function is the same.
    Nope again. You're thinking of the Toba eruption bottleneck theory where said volcano went kerblam around 70,000 years ago and caused a genetic bottleneck in humans. It's an out of date theory now and not regarded to have much weight behind it anymore.
    Not sure about this since I recall having read from various sources in the past about the low genetic diversity observed among humans pointing to a small pool of common ancestors, and I haven’t read anything refuting this so far (that there was a period in near-history when we were nearly wiped out). Most sources I can point to (eg. Wikipedia) still mention the genetic bottleneck in humans.

That Wiki article has a fair number of internal contradictions going on, as has much of this field of study. On the one hand it claims low levels of diversity, yet on the other it states this:

Between 4% and 6% of the genome of Melanesians (represented by the Papua New Guinean and Bougainville Islander) are thought to derive from Denisova hominins - a previously unknown species which shares a common origin with Neanderthals. It was possibly introduced during the early migration of the ancestors of Melanesians into Southeast Asia. This history of interaction suggests that Denisovans once ranged widely over eastern Asia.[61]

Thus, Melanesians emerge as the most archaic-admixed population, having Denisovan/Neanderthal-related admixture of ~8%.
    We should note that melanesians aren’t a large population group, comprising only about 12 million people and spread across a wide area.
    Consider the domestic dog and the wolf. They are consider subspecies, can have perfectly viable and fertile young together. Earlier you mentioned we only had 20,000 years to diverge(we didn't but we'll let that slide), well the dog and the wolf are less than that as far as genetic and subspecies divergence goes and the genetic difference between the Labrador at your feet and the wolf howling in the wind is less than 1%. How different is a wolf in appearance, physical and mental behaviours, sociability, intelligence and temperament to the domestic dog? Very different. In under 20,000 years and less than one percent difference in their genetics. It doesn't take huge time periods to make quite fundamental changes in an organism

The difference between the dog and wolf analogy you made here is that there was huge selective pressure on dogs (from humans) for temperament specifically. Hence the results with regard to dogs’ temperaments.
    I just don’t see the same huge selective pressure on brain function in humans based on geography (I do see it in humans based on social function, eg. mathematician, however no society has lasted that long with the same families performing the same functions so far).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

This has been an interesting conversation barring the odd troll post, I'd say most would be in agreement that where there are obvious and distincte differences between races of people it would be unusual if brain function was identical, though it's also most likely the differences are small enough to be relatively unimportant and not be much more radical than the differences within a race along averages. Also how the differences in "intelligence" manifests itself would be hard to quantify i.e problem solving, memory, laterall thinking, perception etc etc etc etc will be valued differently in the out back than in the city. The only thing I hope for is conversations like this are allowed to happen as the no platforming craze will reduce everyone's intelligence.

Another interesting question to this is are other factors of brain function other, and arguably more important than intelligence different between the races? For example would someone be more subservient? Some more aggressive? I'd say it would not be controversial to say higher testosterone would = more aggression on average but would that even be a brain issue then or a chemical one? I know it's a vastly different thing in many ways but dogs for example, boarder collies being the smartest breed less aggressive so useful for sheep herding while beagles are considered one of the dumbest dogs but their obedience and aggression make them good for hunting. Again I realise dogs selectively bred are far from humans and natural evolution differences but it's still an interesting topic for me.

No matter what though any diffrence should never be used to demean, hurt or abuse someone, understanding the differences between races has had positives! For example in medicine and there is no reason a better understanding and more knowledge of our own species should be seen as a negative, it's also a pretty good argument against the worse thing to pop up in the last few years "diversity quotas" why should young Usain be denied a place on the university track team because there are to many people who look like him on it? Everyone should be all for equality of opportunity but if we start acting the dick and deny people a platform to take advantage of their natural gifts and talents then that will be at the cost of advancement of our species as a whole.

Missed this part in your post :o
    I just don’t see the huge and consistent selective pressure for different brain function (as there was for skin colour), based on geography. Exposure to technology is a very recent phenomenon.
    Well... "technology" is not particularly recent a thing. Technology, that is external devices to augment the human body to better exploit an environment has well over a million years of history. Quite rapid technological shifts have a history of around 100,000 years. Something as simple as the needle that it seems only modern humans innovated made a truly massive difference. Since the agricultural revolution technology came along in leaps and bounds. Writing, maths, geography, law, philosophy, the military, architecture, engineering, along with massive shifts in the social order came with the humble wheat grain. The cognitive shift required between someone living in Babylon and another living in Australia at the same time would have been quite different. That could well be a selection pressure right there. It certainly was for selection for dietary changes.

Geography brings its own section pressures. Skin colour is one you note, but others could be in the mix. EG Ice age Europe would be a heavy set of selection pressures for basic survival, never mind expansion. Predictable seasons another. While Ice age Europe was a major pain in the arse, it was mostly predictable over time, other places in the world may well look warmer and more habitable, but they could also be wildly unpredictable. Very stable climates would require little forward planning. Predictability would foster well.. prediction and planning for that. Ice age Europe appears to have been predictable and survivable enough that humans came up the first truly massive explosion in art and culture on the planet. There are hints of it elsewhere, like geometric patterned ochre lumps 90,000 years ago in South Africa and bits and bobs in the east and Australia, but nothing like the sheer scale going on in places like present day France, Spain and Germany.

Another aspect nearly always forgotten or ignored is one thing that folks within Africa didn't deal with to near the same degree; the lands we walked into out of Africa weren't empty. There were people already living in them. People who had been there for far longer and people who were more adapted to those environments. People who at the start were at the same technological level as us. And were much stronger with it. A sixteen year old Neandertal girl would destroy Conor McGregor in a fight and he would be in the very top percentile of physical prowess in fighting today. Interestingly, it's around this time that we developed long range weaponry. Various humans had come up with throwing spears beforehand, but it seems to come and go in our inventory. The humans we encountered in these new lands had close in stabbing weapons. Being able to injure or kill at distance would have been a big equaliser. Indeed there's a Neandertal chap from Iraq(Shanidar cave), who was killed by a wound to the chest and it strongly looks to have been one of these modern human darts/spears. He survived for a time, tough bastard that he was, but it ultimately killed him. A 40,000 year old cold case and it looks like we were the ones who did him in. That's a massive selection pressure there.

Then there were those times we didn't try to kill each other and instead whipped out the vino and the Barry White records and made sweet luuuurve with each other and our kids shared our different genetics in these new environments. That's yet more selection going on. Selection that proffered such an advantage that forty odd thousand years later we can still find those genes in our modern populations today.

A lot has happened to humans since we left Africa. A lot happened within Africa too of course, but less than outside. In places like Australia change was extremely slow and life for a 16th century Aborigine was little changed from life for an Aborigine from 10,000 years previously. I would be shocked to find that this didn't have an affect on populations. Dynamic rapidly shifting environments with competition fosters change.

That’s not what I said - ie. that it was impossible to distinguish the jaws by superficial analysis. I said the way the jaw functions remains the same, and it does.
    You could say the same about the Chinese person’s eyes/eyebrows/eyelids - superficial examination could easily reveal they were from a Chinese person, but the way they function is the same.
    A dog and fox jaw functions the same and yet they're a completely different species. A sparrows wing and an Eagle's wing "function the same" and they're a completely different species. It's not much of an argument Y.
    Not sure about this since I recall having read from various sources in the past about the low genetic diversity observed among humans pointing to a small pool of common ancestors, and I haven’t read anything refuting this so far (that there was a period in near-history when we were nearly wiped out). Most sources I can point to (eg. Wikipedia) still mention the genetic bottleneck in humans.
    Well Toba is off the table for the reason and depending on the research there have been two, even three or four such bottlenecks putatively suggested. One in Africa, another in the Middle East, another in the Americas and yet another in Europe. As an aside one problem I have with this theory is that at the same time period no bottlenecks are seen with other archaic humans, something one would expect if it were a geographically wide event, like a volcano or climate change.
    We should note that melanesians aren’t a large population group, comprising only about 12 million people and spread across a wide area.
    So? 1) they're still modern humans, unless you think they're somehow distinct, and if they're somehow distinct that doesn't exactly work too well with the "we're all Africans y'know". 2) East Asians also show both Neandertal and Denisovan admixture 2-6%(depending on researchers) and there are literally billions of them. Can't write them off as a small population group. Europeans with 2-6%(depending on researchers) and they're not exactly a small population either. As a European if I'm having a pint with a Kenyan lad, at least 2% of my DNA, DNA that codes for particular traits, he simply doesn't have and in turn he has DNA that I don't have.

The difference between the dog and wolf analogy you made here is that there was huge selective pressure on dogs (from humans) for temperament specifically. Hence the results with regard to dogs’ temperaments.
    My point still stands that a tiny change in genetic percentages can have wide ranging changes in behaviour and phenotype.
    I just don’t see the same huge selective pressure on brain function in humans based on geography (I do see it in humans based on social function, eg. mathematician, however no society has lasted that long with the same families performing the same functions so far).
    See my last post for examples of selection pressures on brain function. And that's before the archaic admixture that codes for specific brain function and dysfunction.

• Advertisement

We know so little of actual history that I don’t think it’s very scientific to jump to conclusions about where the first art explosions occurred, etc.
    You could be forgiven for thinking the printing press was invented in Europe rather than China, for example, if you were relying on fossils or surviving cave drawings (I guess the printing press equivalent would be surviving moulds 🙂). Similarly, none of us can ascertain whether the huge explosion in art you mentioned actually started in the location where the cave paintings were found, or somewhere else.
    What is common though in all of the above, is that ideas spread very quickly, and it is very difficult to “contain” technology in populations which have contact with each other.
    This is the reason I keep mentioning “major population groups” - the idea being, the larger a group, the more contact it has with everyone. It is much easier to become isolated in a small group rather than a large one, and then after isolation you no longer benefit from the ideas/technology that the other humans are benefitting from, and thus you diverge.

[edit: just read your latest post]
    The fox’s jaw and the dog’s jaw working the same way despite belonging to different species is a good analogy actually. What makes foxes and dogs different species however is that the majority populations of foxes and dogs are not intermixing anymore, and the difference between individual foxes is far less than the differences between any fox and any dog. This is in direct contrast to human ethnicities, where every source I’ve looked at agrees that the differences between ethnicities are small compared to differences between individuals.

We know so little of actual history that I don’t think it’s very scientific to jump to conclusions about where the first art explosions occurred, etc.
    You could be forgiven for thinking the printing press was invented in Europe rather than China, for example, if you were relying on fossils or surviving cave drawings (I guess the printing press equivalent would be surviving moulds ��). Similarly, none of us can ascertain whether the huge explosion in art you mentioned actually started in the location where the cave paintings were found, or somewhere else.
    Oh certainly. There is a huge preservation bias going on. The art we find is permanent and in very stable environments like caves and made from very stable materials. I think on it this way; if you see a guy with a very ornate full arm tattoo, it's a clear indicator of art and a personal cultural experience, but when he dies it's lost forever, unless he falls into a bog pool and even then it might last 3 or 4 thousand years. If the same artwork was painted deep inside a cave on the rock in charcoal and ochre it could potentially last for a million years. Australian aborigines would be another example. Their stone tool technology is for the most part very crude and primitive. Neandertal stuff is more sophisticated. If they had never preserved their art and culture in caves and stories we could quite reasonably conclude they were less advanced.

That said the vast majority of the oldest art is found within present day Europe. It's also more sophisticated. Oddly it starts off sophisticated and gets less so over time. It could well have been an idea nicked from or as a response to even earlier European art made by Neandertals. Last year cave art from four different sites in Spain came back with dates of at least 60,000 years old, about 20,000 years before modern humans show up in Europe. Going even further back to 175,000 years ago, long before we came along Neandertals built circular stone structures from stalactites deep in a French cave.

cnrs_20160048_0007.jpg

And that's what has been preserved of a people and culture that were positively tiny as far as population numbers go. Like across their entire range at best about what numbers you'd get for a GAA final in Croke Park. It's entirely possible that we kicked off with the oul art as a response to, or competition with them. Our way of marking our claim to the place. Hmmm, just had a thought... Maybe that might explain how our art starts off more sophisticated and becomes simpler over time. When they died out the pressure to be more sophisticated on that particular score was less?

Taking the printing press example. Yep your scenario could play out alright, though one could argue that while printing was invented in China(and Korea) it was Europe where it truly exploded and became the massive gamechanger for the modern world. The printed book is a European innovation, not an Asian one.
    What is common though in all of the above, is that ideas spread very quickly, and it is very difficult to “contain” technology in populations which have contact with each other.
    This is the reason I keep mentioning “major population groups” - the idea being, the larger a group, the more contact it has with everyone. It is much easier to become isolated in a small group rather than a large one, and then after isolation you no longer benefit from the ideas/technology that the other humans are benefitting from, and thus you diverge.
    Oh I'd agree. For me that was our killer app. Previous human populations were too small and likely too xenophobic to transmit great new ideas. A Neandertal Leonardo could only affect their own small group and when they died all that died with him, or her.

That brings up another issue though. Does this mean more isolated over time populations are somehow less evolved than the more connected populations?

I would argue that in many ways, yes, less connected might equal less evolved, with less exposure to different stimuli, but the difference will only show up with time (and no intermixing).

Regarding the printed book (among other things) being a European innovation - once again, deferring to Wikipedia this seems to not be the case. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_printing_in_East_Asia says “The intricate frontispiece of the Diamond Sutra from Tang-dynasty China, 868 AD (British Museum), which is widely seen as the earliest extant printed book”.

I really think it’s very easy to attribute inventions to the wrong places and it’s something to be very cautious about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I would argue that in many ways, yes, less connected might equal less evolved, with less exposure to different stimuli, but the difference will only show up with time (and no intermixing).

Regarding the printed book (among other things) being a European innovation - once again, deferring to Wikipedia this seems to not be the case. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_printing_in_East_Asia says “The intricate frontispiece of the Diamond Sutra from Tang-dynasty China, 868 AD (British Museum), which is widely seen as the earliest extant printed book”.

I really think it’s very easy to attribute inventions to the wrong places and it’s something to be very cautious about.

I dont think any has claimed that printing was invented in europe. What was invented in europe was the printing press which is what really revolutionised printing.

I dont think any has claimed that printing was invented in europe. What was invented in europe was the printing press which is what really revolutionised printing.

That’s like saying “I don’t think it’s important that TV was not invented in America, what really revolutionised TV was 4K TV, which was probably thought of in America”

Each civilization thinks it invented everything, and each civilization thinks it’s inventions or additions were the most important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

That’s like saying “I don’t think it’s important that TV was not invented in America, what really revolutionised TV was 4K TV, which was probably thought of in America”

Each civilization thinks it invented everything, and each civilization thinks it’s inventions or additions were the most important

The printing press allowed reproduction, allowing written material to reach many.

Zorya wrote: »
    The printing press allowed reproduction, allowing written material to reach many.

Your point being?

[edit: added the below to make my point clearer]

If the Wikipedia article is to be believed, then the Chinese could already produce 1500-2000 double-pages per printer per day. Even if the article is way off, that’s quite a lot of books per printer per day.
    It’s important to remember that none of these civilizations (including the current western one, which is kindof a mix at this stage) emerged in isolation, they all “stood on the shoulders of giants”, to paraphrase Isaac Newton

As a note, the reason I say the current western civilization is a mix - is a new type of battery invented in Japan a western invention or a hybrid one? I’d argue hybrid.

you suck at analogies

you suck at analogies

you suck at a lot more things, which is why I have to use analogies

you suck at a lot more things

Good talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

What about remove the Nobel that Obama won after bringing war im so many countries?

How long? Australians have been cultural and genetic near isolates for 50,000 odd years(the Dingo points to some level of inward migration around 5000 years back). As I've pointed out quite sweeping genetic changes can happen over much shorter time periods than that.

I would agree and it happens a lot. Like a few years back a list did the rounds of 40 things the Islamic world invented and the real figure was closer to six or eight. There's usually a cultural or politic twist to such things.

But back to books. The book you and the world are most used to was a European invention and before printing with it. That is the wraparound cover and individual pages in generally portrait format that you read by turning said pages. The sutra you reference above was a scroll or codex. That is a long sheet of material with the text read that way. The book as we know it kinda came about by mistake. In the classical world writings and books were written on scrolls or codexes usually on papyrus(where we get the word for paper, a material the Chinese did invent and innovate nearly a thousand years before Europe got her hands on it) from Egypt. As the Roman Empire contracted supplies of papyrus dried up and they turned to the other previously minority material, parchment, made from the hides of animals. This was expensive as fook and delicate with it and you couldn't make long scrolls from it, so individual pages bound in a cover were the way forward. The shape and format of these pages was limited to the size of usable skin you can get from a pelt. Next time you pick up a book of around A4 size that's pretty much a late Roman invention.

On printing the proof of the pudding is in the eating. China had printing for a couple of centuries before Europe and it was mostly used for religious texts and printing money(another Chinese invention). It didn't come within an asses roar of kicking off the first great information revolution the way it did in Europe. It passed through the Islamic world and was barely noticed. The first Quran was printed in Venice. Both the Islamic world and China had a disadvantage that Europe didn't. Overly complex alphabets. The old joke about a Chinese typewriter keyboard being two metres wide springs to mind. Whereas in Europe with around 40 odd letters you could produce any book in any European language. You also had major internal political and religious competition within Europe between states, something missing in the empires of China and Islam. There was also more social mobility within Europe. The perfect storm for the massive torrent of books and printed material that followed. Someone could be born back then and at ten might never have seen a book, much less a printed one, but by the age of fifty they would have seen them and printed material like posters and pamphlets everywhere. Pretty much the entirety of the modern world kicked off after that.

Gunpowder followed a similar enough trajectory. The Chinese invented it and mostly used it initially as an incendiary rather than an explosive though latterly made some progress there. Europe gets her hands on it and refines it, refines the mixes and the process and literally changed the map of the world with it. It also influenced physics, metallurgy and manufacturing processes. Guns were one of the first items to involve standardisation of parts and the production line.
    As a note, the reason I say the current western civilization is a mix - is a new type of battery invented in Japan a western invention or a hybrid one? I’d argue hybrid.
    I'd agree, or at least a refinement of an existing tech. The battery itself is a European/American invention.

How long? Australians have been cultural and genetic near isolates for 50,000 odd years(the Dingo points to some level of inward migration around 5000 years back). As I've pointed out quite sweeping genetic changes can happen over much shorter time periods than that.
    I’m not sure of the answer to this, but if people changed skin colour completely in a matter of less than 20,000 years with a strong selection bias present, then I guess a lot can change in 50,000 years if there’s a selection bias present too.

Regarding printed books - you’re quite probably right about the exact current form of what we call a “book”, however I see that as an improvement over the previous “concertina-style scrolls” or scrolls bound at one end like “butterfly books” rather than an actual game changer.
    The main problem with older type “printed scroll-style books” was that the majority of them in Asia were actively destroyed by Ghenghis Khan in China ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_under_the_Mongol_Empire ) , and by the invading Muslims in India too who did pretty much the exact same thing on the Indian subcontinent with regard to books.
    It’s not as if our modern books did something spectacular which the older format printed books couldn’t do - in fact the older printed books are credited with the spread of Buddhism from India to China and further afield, so they were able to reach “the masses” - if “the masses” could actually read.

Interestingly, while China may have had a more complex key set, the Indian script “only” has something like 40 letters including 12 vowels, so I don’t think this made a huge amount of difference - more important was the systematic destruction of old Indian texts under islam.
    If you’re look up the history of the “mahajanapads” in India - India was basically made up of 16 independent states, which tended to elect a “maharajah” and unite vs external aggressors, not unlike Europe under christianity, so I’m not sure about China but India at least had similarly competing states through most of its history which united and formed empires sometimes, until islamic invasions around 1100-1300AD.

Gunpowder - again very similar history - gunpowder was actually used in warfare in Asia long before Europe, the Mongols captured Chinese engineers and forced them to show them how to make cannons, and then used the same cannons to attack China. Mongols are credited with spreading gunpowder through warfare in Europe, gunpowder was one of the main reasons the mongols were considered “unstoppable” in Europe.
    The pattern I am seeing is that whatever country or group captures the economy, starts to invent or improve *everything*. We are seeing this in the modern world too, nowadays a lot of the electronics are invented in the USA, but the trend is following whoever has the biggest economy - Huawei is a Chinese company which seems to be inventing a lot of 3g devices and similar things in China rather than America already - I wonder what will happen if the Chinese economy overtakes the American economy as per current predictions. I’d expect most of the newer tech inventions will start to come from China instead of the US.
    As I said previously, it’s hard to contain technology. Whoever has the biggest economy can usually invent or improve upon the most things, for any particular time period.

An interesting graph of relative world economies below - although I’d take the graph with a pinch of salt, but it does show some interesting parallels with items that were invented during that time coming mostly from India/China (supposedly world-leading economies at the time)

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1_AD_to_2003_AD_percent_GDP_contribution_of_India_to_world_GDP_with_history.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wibbs, I don't mean to be disparaging here, it's a genuine question. Are travelers of less than average intelligence due to living in the segregated society they live in, based on what you said in a previous post where you compared twins living in completely different environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

AllForIt wrote: »
    Wibbs, I don't mean to be disparaging here, it's a genuine question. Are travelers of less than average intelligence due to living in the segregated society they live in, based on what you said in a previous post where you compared twins living in completely different environments.

Inbreeding doesn't help.

Individual behaviour will reflect the surrounding culture, so that will affect education levels, things that are deemed acceptable and unacceptable, lifestyle choices, health and the like. Not so sure it'll affect the baseline IQ. That's assuming Travellers are "less than average intelligence". I'd bet they're the same as background. Some dumb, some clever, most average. Like the rest of us.

Sure, someone can point to youtube vids of guys calling out others to fight and that's one aspect, but the other aspect are when you see those "exposes" into Travellers with huge mansions and business empires stretching across Europe and beyond. Now we can go back and forth on the criminality part of it, but you don't get to that position by being stupid, even average. They'll have the same traits of top business people; intelligence, consistency, energy, ability to direct and lead others etc.

Regarding printed books - you’re quite probably right about the exact current form of what we call a “book”, however I see that as an improvement over the previous “concertina-style scrolls” or scrolls bound at one end like “butterfly books” rather than an actual game changer.../...It’s not as if our modern books did something spectacular which the older format printed books couldn’t do - in fact the older printed books are credited with the spread of Buddhism from India to China and further afield, so they were able to reach “the masses” - if “the masses” could actually read.
    Thats the thing though Y, books printed in Europe were a game changer. A truly massive one. One of the biggest in human history. They were one of the main reasons Europe and European culture and technology ended up pretty much ruling the world in the following centuries. Oh and while printed Buddhist texts no doubt influenced the spread of Buddhism, the religion was already pretty established in India and beyond long before the invention, right back to the Ancient Greek influence in the area.
    Gunpowder - again very similar history - gunpowder was actually used in warfare in Asia long before Europe, the Mongols captured Chinese engineers and forced them to show them how to make cannons, and then used the same cannons to attack China. Mongols are credited with spreading gunpowder through warfare in Europe, gunpowder was one of the main reasons the mongols were considered “unstoppable” in Europe.
    The transmission of gunpowder tech is not nearly so clearcut. The Mongols might have been one route, but there are problems with that. For a start they limited its use closer to home in China and in a limited enough way, in the near east and Europe, the evidence of its use by the Mongols is scant to nonexistent. They were considered unstoppable because of their much faster moving cavalry and archery tactics. At that point in the game a Mongol bow was far more deadly and could lay down far more fire than any gunpowder weapon. Transmission along the Silk Road like other eastern tech is just as, if not more likely. Some have suggested an independent invention of Europe, but I don't buy that as the earliest texts refer to it as a Chinese thing. What is interesting is how the new tech was utilised by the European powers and the Islamic powers to a lesser extent. While the Chinese had experimented back and forth with it(IIRC it was originally an alchemy thing, medicinal too) and had come up with fire arrows and rockets and incendiaries, it was the Europeans who bypassed all that and came up with more effective and deadly uses in things like cannon. This also proves that it had come from outside as there was no slow experimentation with it in Europe, they pretty much got it and went straight to cannons.
    The pattern I am seeing is that whatever country or group captures the economy, starts to invent or improve *everything*.
    Yep, that's a huge influence.

Interestingly, while China may have had a more complex key set, the Indian script “only” has something like 40 letters including 12 vowels, so I don’t think this made a huge amount of difference - more important was the systematic destruction of old Indian texts under islam.
    If you’re look up the history of the “mahajanapads” in India - India was basically made up of 16 independent states, which tended to elect a “maharajah” and unite vs external aggressors, not unlike Europe under christianity, so I’m not sure about China but India at least had similarly competing states through most of its history which united and formed empires sometimes, until islamic invasions around 1100-1300AD.
    India is an interesting one alright. Like you point out it had a pretty similar setup to Europe politically and a far less cumbersome alphabet and was a major trading area and right between the East and West and it had an extremely deep history of civilisation going way back to the Indus Valley. I would suspect the main reason it didn't go like Europe is down to social mobility. There was none, or very little. The caste system put paid to that(and still influences the place). Whereas in Europe and going way back there was far more social mobility built into the system and culture. There were many Roman senators, even emperors that had come from slaves a couple of generations previously. A few of the early popes were ex slaves. That would have been an alien notion in India(and to a lesser extent China).

I agree with you on India, I believe it’s downfall was perhaps inevitable when it’s caste system became rigid and started completely preventing social mobility. There’s probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Regarding gunpowder, (I realize I’m deferring to Wikipedia a lot here, but it’s an easy online reference point 😀), according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm :
    “The direct ancestor of the firearm is the fire lance. The prototype of the fire lance was invented in China during the 10th century and is the predecessor of all firearms.”
    Similarly to books, I have no doubt that western powers used firearms extensively in later years, but it’s origin was in China and I don’t think we can honestly claim that it was invented in Europe - whether it was brought to Europe directly by the Mongols, or by the Silk Road shortly after the initial Mongol invasions (the Mongols “unification” of Asia helped the Silk Road flourish again, until their empire collapsed).

The point I’m making about printed books (whether side-bound like our modern books, or butterfly-book type like the older books) is that while books were great for spreading ideas in Europe, they were also used before that to spread ideas in Asia. I still don’t see why a modern side-bound book would be a game changer vs a concertina-style book - both could be stored, produced, and read very similarly.

I’m also not sure why you’re saying that cannons were a European invention - they were another Chinese invention, and they were recorded as having been used in war by the Sung dynasty in China. Monstrosities like this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachhawali_Tope ) were already in use in India too before the 1300s, when cannons came to Europe.

The Ottoman Empire had firearms issued as standard to its infantry in the 1400s, and places like India also had a huge amount of gunpowder weapons and cannons by the time they met the British in the late 1500s, so it wasn’t like the Europeans ever had a monopoly on gunpowder weapons either. In fact, in the 1600s one of India’s chief exports to the west via their trade links was saltpeter, which was used to make gunpowder, and the reason the Indians were mining it themselves was also to make gunpowder.

Like I said before, it’s really easy to misattribute inventions - things often aren’t as simple as “they had better technology, so they prevailed” in actual history.

As a thought exercise to show how economy helps invention, we can look at the discovery of the Higgs boson at the LHC in 2013 - one of the actual aims of building the LHC was to try and find the Higgs boson, which was a particle predicted by Higgs in the 1960s, but not actually observed. If someone with the economic ability hadn’t gone and built a supercollider, we would have never found it, and the value of Higgs’s research would have been similar to the value of Leonardo Da Vinci’s drawings of a primitive helicopter. It takes resources to actually invent things, not just ideas.

• Advertisement

I agree with you on India, I believe it’s downfall was perhaps inevitable when it’s caste system became rigid and started completely preventing social mobility. There’s probably a lesson in there somewhere.
    +1. One of Europe's biggest killer app was that social mobility. Yes you had the feudal system, but when it was at its height Europe was a more stagnant place. The Black Death and other rolling plagues made a big difference too. The workforce was massively reduced so workers could get more pay, or they'd go somewhere else to get it. Geographical mobility was generally a little higher too.
    Regarding gunpowder, (I realize I’m deferring to Wikipedia a lot here, but it’s an easy online reference point ��), according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm :
    “The direct ancestor of the firearm is the fire lance. The prototype of the fire lance was invented in China during the 10th century and is the predecessor of all firearms.”
    Oh I agree 100%, gunpowder and firearms were invented in China. Their speed of development was far more rapid when it hit Europe. If you look at the page you link you'll note that all the subsequent innovations in firearms down to the present day are pretty much all European(and later her colony in America) innovations.

The point I’m making about printed books (whether side-bound like our modern books, or butterfly-book type like the older books) is that while books were great for spreading ideas in Europe, they were also used before that to spread ideas in Asia. I still don’t see why a modern side-bound book would be a game changer vs a concertina-style book - both could be stored, produced, and read very similarly.
    Because it was a game changer Y. That was my point. China has printing for a couple of centuries before Europe. Did it kick off a truly massive revolution in information that within a generation or two changed pretty much everything? It did not.

There were a few reasons why. 1) the complex alphabet. 2) the Chinese style didn't have the printing galley to hold the letters that was Gutenberg's invention, nor did it use the metal the way he did. 3) Though again the Chinese invented paper their method was very labour intensive and slow, Europeans had refined and sped up the process so they could produce paper in massive volumes. Though interestingly the first books he tried printing were on vellum until he worked out how to use inks to print onto paper. 4) the screw press, a Roman invention was all over the place and ideal for printing. 5) the book, which was cheaper to produce, easier to read and index and you can have print on both sides making texts more compact. 6) an economy that could take a new invention, spread it rapidly and make a bloody fortune for the inventor. 7) a large audience on the cusp of religious and social change that would be the readers. Even something as simple as glass made a big difference. The Chinese had far finer ceramics like porcelain, so didn't do much with glass. Europe had pretty crappy earthenware so turned to glass. Glass gives you a load of chemistry going on, it also leads to optics and that leads to glasses, which help you read.

In Europe printing fuelled religious shifts, language shifts, political shifts, social shifts, exploded every sphere of the sciences and directly led to the Enlightenment and the modern world. It impacted and standardised the languages. For a start local languages became more important. Initially because people wanted to read religious texts in their vernacular, but it went much further from there. It completely changed how we viewed the world in so many ways.

Take jargon. Before printing it didn't exist. Most scientists were polymaths, mostly writing in Latin(fairly limited vocabulary) exchanging the occasional letter. There were very few specialists and it was possible for one individual to know all that was known at the time. Books changed that. Specialists started to emerge and specialties with it and they published books. Then another guy would come along read that and say nope, that's not accurate, this is and print his book and so on and in doing so shook off the grip of the quite pickled view of the classical world which had been seen as scientific "gospel". In order to exchange common ideas they needed more shared specialist words and definitions that neither latin nor local languages had and we get jargon(though you'll notice until quite recently they dived into mashups of latin and greek for much of it. Old habits die hard :D).

Indexing is another innovation. Seems obvious now, but the Chinese never indexed their books. For much the same reasons Europeans hadn't bothered indexing their manuscripts. They were mostly religious in nature and you were expected to know them already and few could read anyway. Titles were rare enough too. You could pick up a manuscript that featured a religious text in the first few pages, but it could also have a treatise on animal husbandry across the rest of the manuscript. All terribly confusing. Printing and the sheer volume of stuff being produced in Europe needed indexing and contents pages and clear titles so people would know what the hell they were buying and reading and what pages spoke of what. With indexing you can cross reference, cross link, you can build databases, you can improve said databases over time. Some of the basic fundamentals of the computer you're reading this on can be traced in large part back to that seemingly small innovation.
    As a thought exercise to show how economy helps invention, we can look at the discovery of the Higgs boson at the LHC in 2013 - one of the actual aims of building the LHC was to try and find the Higgs boson, which was a particle predicted by Higgs in the 1960s, but not actually observed. If someone with the economic ability hadn’t gone and built a supercollider, we would have never found it, and the value of Higgs’s research would have been similar to the value of Leonardo Da Vinci’s drawings of a primitive helicopter. It takes resources to actually invent things, not just ideas.
    Oh true, but it takes more than that. The Italian states of Leo's time were filthy rich and powerful. In Leo's case the humble aforementioned book might have been the shift required. He never published, even though books were like the newly minted internet of their day. Never appealed to him, so his ideas never got disseminated. He himself was well known, but not his inventions. Indeed how they came to be well known is because a biographer of his Vasari wrote and printed a book that was a best seller.

The appetite for books was voracious and within something like thirty years the titles available were in their hundreds of thousands and they sold in their millions. The first international book fairs kicked off less that twenty years after Gutenberg had rattled off his first bibles, by 1500 over twenty million books and been printed, by 1600 over two hundred million were in circulation. Meanwhile in China...

Don’t forget though, we’re comparing books from Europe in the 1400-1600s with books from Asia in the 1100s. Noone can predict what direction those books/technology might have gone if it wasn’t cut short by the mongols or islamic invasions.
    My own opinion is that people were just as smart and innovative back then as we are now, and the education system here makes us believe we know a lot more about things than we actually do.
    For example, I remember being taught science when I was a kid, and thinking the Greeks and Romans didn’t have a clue because they thought everything was made of earth, air, fire and water... all the while we were learning about hydro-gen (hydro means water), oxy-gen (air), etc. and never realising that what we were being taught is exactly what the Greeks taught, except we had more elements and more details because we came 2000 years later (and we still don’t actually know what matter is).

Regarding Leonardo - you dont get away that easy Wibbs haha :D - surely those who read Vasari’s account of Leonardo’s helicopter could have tried building it, then, if they had the means. I’m sure some people tried, but no one could make it work at the time so we didn’t hear about it, and it had to be reinvented 400 years later by modern inventors

Don’t forget though, we’re comparing books from Europe in the 1400-1600s with books from Asia in the 1100s. Noone can predict what direction those books/technology might have gone if it wasn’t cut short by the mongols or islamic invasions.
    True, but we can compare the difference. In over three centuries of Asian printing it changed almost nothing. No explosion of information and its transmission. Within 50 years of the first printed book in Europe there were millions of books with thousands of titles in every European language and even Arabic produced within Europe. Like I noted the first printed Quran wasn't produced in the Islamic world, but in Christian Venice. Though it didn't sell well as it was full of errors. The printers were just looking around for any subject they could sell.
    My own opinion is that people were just as smart and innovative back then as we are now, and the education system here makes us believe we know a lot more about things than we actually do.
    Oh I'd 100% agree on the first part, the latter part a bit less. We do know a shit ton about things now. So much that it's become hard to filter it.
    Regarding Leonardo - you dont get away that easy Wibbs haha :D - surely those who read Vasari’s account of Leonardo’s helicopter could have tried building it, then, if they had the means. I’m sure some people tried, but no one could make it work at the time so we didn’t hear about it, and it had to be reinvented 400 years later by modern inventors
    Well... :) the main reason it wasn't built was because it wouldn't work. It was an imaginative concept that came from pretty much nowhere, but it was a dead end, like pretty much all of his ideas for flight(if he'd just considered the fixed wing...). However other inventions of his were built and did work. The most common one that we can see today is the humble canal lock.

Canal%2Block.jpg

A lock that can be operated by one person, that seals tighter the more pressure is put upon it. Some consider he based this on studies he made of the human heart and heart valves. Indeed he described vortices in the blood within the heart, vortices that weren't rediscovered until the late 20th century. To see these he would take a sheep's heart slice it in half lay it on a sheet of glass, fill it with water and mustard seeds and squeeze and observe the movements of the seeds. Very clever. He also had incredible vision and seemed to be able to process and break down moving objects into stop frame, centuries before the invention of the camera.

I’m not sure we can conclude that in 3 centuries of Asian printing, it changed nothing. I believe the effects of Asian printing weren’t seen because the cultures fell violently, with huge amounts of civilians being killed (In India, the invaders were waging a holy war, and tended to massacre entire populations of cities at the time, whereas in China the Mongols were equally brutal).

Of course the irony is that the current-day muslims in South Asia (India/Pakistan/Bangladesh) would be mostly made up (genetically) of people who were forcibly converted to Islam to avoid getting killed, and yet are so brainwashed into thinking they are somehow different from the average Indian, that they actually split off into their own countries... but that’s a topic for another day :)

China too had huge civilian losses under the Mongols - according to Wikipedia, “Before the Mongol invasion, Chinese dynasties reportedly had approximately 120 million inhabitants; after the conquest was completed in 1279, the 1300 census reported roughly 60 million people.“ For comparison, India is supposed to have gone from around 200 million people to 120 million people (note: I don’t really trust these figures, and I suspect that this probably also includes the effects of the Plague, which killed 1/3rd of all Europeans too, but at least European institutions weren’t also systematically destroyed at the same time) around the same time period.
    The scale of the combined destruction was insane though, and due to the ongoing wars, Asia basically didn’t get to rebuild itself after the plague, whereas Europe (at least Western Europe - maybe not Eastern Europe) did. There were wars in Western Europe, but nothing compared to the genocide of the mongols (eg. The mongols captured Hungary and promptly killed 1 million people... out of a total Hungarian population of 2 million. It seems to have been their modus operandi everywhere they went).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

IQ is not the most reliable thing to base these opinions off.

For instance African Americans score far higher on average than sub Saharan Africans, which suggests obviously that factors such has standard of education play a huge part.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 65cent

IQ is not the most reliable thing to base these opinions off.

For instance African Americans score far higher on average than sub Saharan Africans, which suggests obviously that factors such has standard of education play a huge part.

Or just maybe it because of the white blood flowing in their veins?

* According to Ancestry.com, the average African American is 65 percent sub-Saharan African, 29 percent European and 2 percent Native American.

* According to 23andme.com, the average African American is 75 percent sub-Saharan African, 22 percent European and only 0.6 percent Native American.

* According to Family Tree DNA.com, the average African American is 72.95 percent sub-Saharan African, 22.83 percent European and 1.7 percent Native American.

* According to National Geographic's Genographic Project, the average African American is 80 percent sub-Saharan African, 19 percent European and 1 percent Native American.

* According to AfricanDNA, in which I am a partner with Family Tree DNA, the average African American is 79 percent sub-Saharan African, 19 percent European and 2 percent Native American.

• Advertisement

65cent wrote: »
    Or just maybe it because of the white blood flowing in their veins?

* According to Ancestry.com, the average African American is 65 percent sub-Saharan African, 29 percent European and 2 percent Native<...>

You’re only jumping to that conclusion because you’ve already decided what you want to believe, though.

How can you claim to measure intelligence if you can’t even define it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You’re only jumping to that conclusion because you’ve already decided what you want to believe, though.

How can you claim to measure intelligence if you can’t even define it?

Twas another rereg. They've been banned. Mad that people agree with them though.

Advertisement