Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-08-2018, 20:22   #1
backofthenet90

Should I get Pre Pay Power?

I live in an apartment where the electricity bill is split with other apartments in the building. This leads to obvious problems as some apartments use different amounts of power etc..

Apparently the landlady used to have meters for each apartment but got rid of them because the standing charges were too high..

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem? Was thinking of going with Pinergy or some other prepay power. any suggestions would be appreciated
Advertisement
06-08-2018, 20:32   #2
RHJ

This post has been deleted.
06-08-2018, 21:54   #3
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet90 View Post
I live in an apartment where the electricity bill is split with other apartments in the building. This leads to obvious problems as some apartments use different amounts of power etc..

Apparently the landlady used to have meters for each apartment but got rid of them because the standing charges were too high..

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem? Was thinking of going with Pinergy or some other prepay power. any suggestions would be appreciated
Pinergy or PPP will solve this problem by putting in multiple meters attached to the one MPRN. But they need to take over the whole lot, not just one apartment.

I don’t know if your landlord was wise to have done this. It is a lot of trouble.
06-08-2018, 21:56   #4
OSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet90 View Post
That doesn't make any sense when she doesn't have to pay them.
(2) thanks from:
06-08-2018, 21:58   #5
wonski

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Exactly.

Tenants pay all charges.

I can only imagine what happens in the winter there with all portable heaters in use...
Advertisement
06-08-2018, 22:05   #6
Graham

It's hard to see how you're going to be able to get your own separate supply if the landlady has replaced all of the meters with one shared meter for the entire building,

Last edited by Graham; 06-08-2018 at 22:09.
06-08-2018, 23:42   #7
backofthenet90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonski View Post
Exactly.

Tenants pay all charges.

I can only imagine what happens in the winter there with all portable heaters in use...
It's a total nightmare. We have a fireplace in our apt which we use but everyone else just uses electric heaters.
07-08-2018, 14:12   #8
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
It does when the tenant is on your case the whole time though.

Prepay electricity is only a good idea if you aren't disciplined with paying bills. Since Prepaypower and Pinergy entered the marked the rate of disconnections due to non payment of bills dropped through the floor. If you can keep on top of bills though, even just about, you're saving around €130 a year, that's without applying any discount to the rates which could run that figure up to €400+ depending on usage.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion