Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liverpool introduce Fast Walking Lanes

Options
  • 04-11-2015 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/liverpool-becomes-the-first-city-to-open-fast-walking-lanes-a6719766.html

Britain’s first ever fast pedestrian lane has opened in Liverpool city centre - following research that claims 47% of the nation finds slow walking the most annoying aspect of high-street shopping.

The research, conducted by Argos, also revealed shoppers hated battling through crowds, people chatting in the middle of the street and pavement hoggers.

The most popular reason for supporting the lanes was to avoid wasting time, with 31 per cent of shoppers saying they were annoyed by people blocking the pavement.

People checking phones was also a frustration for 18 per cent of those surveyed.

A big yay for this from me. I can be known to get somewhat wound up by people practically crawling down the street, stopping suddenly to look in windows, check their phones etc, when I just wanna walk.

Hope we see more of this.

Bet a few from the 'trivial things that annoy you' would be happy with this too :D

Oh and on the other hand, China introduced a slow lane for those glued to their smartphones

Smartphone users glued to their screens can now shuffle along in unison after a Chinese city gave them their own designated walking lane.

Tired of people clogging up the pavement at a beauty spot, authorities in Chongqing City divided the pavement into two sections with the warning: "Cell phones - walk in this lane at your own risk."

Nong Cheng, a spokesman for the company which manages the area, said: "There are lots of elderly people and children in our street, and walking with your cellphone may cause unnecessary collisions here."

http://news.sky.com/story/1336075/go-slow-smartphone-walking-lane-for-dawdlers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Feck it, I'm moving to Liverpool! :pac:

Not sure how will it will work though, because the slow walkers are also the ones prone to moving in 17 different directions at once, or pulling the dreaded 270 degree 'V-shaped' turn that can slow down 50 people in one swift motion. I think they should enforce this strongly by making it legal - no, a duty - to assault such people on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You'll never walk slow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Billy86 wrote: »
    Feck it, I'm moving to Liverpool!

Alright alright, calm down calm down...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Betcha even if you're walking really fast there'll be some cnut behind you making beeping noises because he wants to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Alright alright, calm down calm down...

They do do that though don't they though?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

So stupid that this has to be introduced and the time/money wasted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bloody good idea. Can't wait for the 'no chatting till' and the 'well you didn't have your change ready so you can just go ahead and wait for the next one' bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

One of the banes of my life are people who insist on dawdling on the street.

Fair play to Liverpool it's about ****ing time something was down about slow walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Does this mean you can go 'meep meep' as you pass by them slow walkers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

You mean you're not already doing that....? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

More importantly. If a dawdler strays into the normal lane, can a normal walker plant a boot in their hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

So much for never walking alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You mean you're not already doing that....? :eek:

I just punch them in the back of the head and keep on walking, by the time the slow b*stards turn around to see who it was I'm long in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Billy86 wrote: »
    I just punch them in the back of the head and keep on walking, by the time the slow b*stards turn around to see who it was I'm long in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Liverpool you say...

Very handy for the scousers, after they have stolen some hubcaps, to outrun the plod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

"It isn't the 'fast lane..it's the overtaking lane...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's the sudden stoppers that I dislike, middle of a busy street and they stop for no reason, oblivious to the world around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

endacl wrote: »
    More importantly. If a dawdler strays into the normal lane, can a normal walker plant a boot in their hole?

You have to flash them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The scally pickpockets will have fast lanes to get away with the wallets and purses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Liverpool introduce Fast Walking Lanes

And they're well signposted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Fast walking lanes seems an unnecessarily knee-jerk solution to me.

Why not just impose a mid-afternoon curfew on 50-something ladies with Denis Irwin hair-do's & vulcan style sideburns, and no peripheral vision whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm not overly bothered by the footpath slalom. It's the people who stand two abreast on escalators like it's a ride at a Victorian funfair who piss me off. Incredibly you can still walk up and down moving stairs you yokels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Why not just impose a mid-afternoon curfew on 50-something ladies with Denis Irwin hair-do's & vulcan style sideburns, and no peripheral vision whatsoever.

Teens and twenty somethings are every bit as bad. Particularly when their snouts are welded to their phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Good idea. I was on a travellator the other day and when we got to the end the girl in front of me just stopped and started rummaging through her bag without a care in the world

She looked stunned when i slammed in to her and amazed when asked her did she realise there was a ton of people behind her and she was blocking the whole show

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Liverpudlians walking in lanes ?

"Funk soul brother
    Check it out now
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Jesus the things people get annoyed over. I don't like people plodding along in front of me, so I walk around them and weave in and out of people. It's no big deal...

What happens if someone is in the slow lane and they want to get to a shop that's beside the fast lane? Do they just walk across the fast lane, surely that would be more annoying... Having people constantly cutting you off.

Or do you indicate with hand signals, then speed up and walk in the fast lane for a bit and then leave? Is there 4 lanes for each Street?!

Is it April 1st?! This is the stupidest idea I've ever ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

PandaPoo wrote: »
    This is the stupidest idea I've ever ever heard.

It's potentially a bit stupid alright, but I wouldn't go quite that far :P Heard some right stupid ideas in my time, that would almost certainly beat this.

Advertisement