Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you find out that Santa Claus was...?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I was about 6 or 7, and one Christmas I had come down the stairs, to see wrapped boxes by the front door, and ran into my mum and asked what they were, and see said they were from Santa, and I looked at them, took them into the sitting room, and looked over at the tree and asked;
    "Why were they by the front door?"
    She laughed and said,
    "I had the fire lit last night and Santa couldn't come down the chimney so he called at the door".
    I was still confused, when I noticed the wrapping paper was the same as the one I had picked out recently in a shop....
    "How does Santa have the same wrapping paper as us?"
    She said "Santa ran out of wrapping paper and asked could he use some".
    still not satisfied.... I opened the card, and it was in the same handwriting as mums - "mum, why did you write the card?".

Game was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

But who was that guy nailing my mum then? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

When my youngest was beginning to question the whole thing i was so sad that this might be the last year.. I refused to tell him straight out so I said if you dont believe dont bother sending him a letter so ( I know very mean)....He thought he was very clever and said instead of posting the letter he would put it in fire and the ashes would go to Santa. I said fine that it would prove it once and for all since I wouldnt see the letter. He threw it in the fire at the same time throwing me a smirk....... The minute he left the room I told his older sibling to get down to his room and question what was in the letter.... RESULT!! His face Christmas morning was worth every minute of deception. Needless to say that was the last year and Christmas is not the same since...... Cherish every Christmas morning when they believe and their eyes light up . its magical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I was just gone 5 when I found out.
    I was a hyper child and on Christmas eve i was jumping around our spare bedroom and my mom was freaking out, I had just jumped on my present of an optimus prime truck and wrecked it, at 20:00 so she just started to roar at me and cry.

I did hold out on telling my brother for a good few years who was younger then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Didn't believe a friend of mine as I didn't want to. Then Christmas eve I was thinking about him going to every house and realised it didn't makes sense. Got up to mention it to my mum but decided to wait a bit so I could get the presents the next morning. I have no idea why I thought the presents wouldn't be given to me anyway given they had been bought. Was probably older than average though I can't remember the age.

Was always jealous of a friend who, to keep it up for a younger sibling got presents till he was 18. It wasn't even token stuff either. Proper stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was 7, I think I figured it out around summer time, it just clicked, straight out asked my Mam and she confirmed it, "thanks for getting all those presents then for me Mam". I think that made her happy than anything else! Kept it going for another 4/5 years then for my sister, she got the hump that I knew and wouldn't tell her.

Looking back though as the OP said it really was more magical that my parents, neither of whom had great jobs always gave us exactly what we asked for, within reason obviously, but they knew what we would and wouldn't get tired of.
    Some great stories have come out since though, my Dad an uncle getting locked putting together a Ghostbusters station house mine and my cousin's presents. The a few years later when we moved onto GI Joe, my uncle assuming it would be easy left it until Christmas Eve to put together a GI Joe Station, he rang my Dad at half 1 in the morning, complaining, he was told that mine was done a week before and took about 3 hours.

I also suddenly became ok with the song "Mammy kissing Santa Claus", I used to get freaked out that the Dad didn't know about this. Hole family thought this was hilarious, I still get shouted at from across the room by relatives when it comes on. My Dad was proud as punch I went to bat for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Now I think, I should have got it sooner. When I was 8 or 9, I got a candyfloss machine that never ever worked, and I went with my mum to return it to argos. Didn't even occur to me how that worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I really need to stop reading this thread. Jealousy is an awful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

I never really believed in Santa. My parents took me to Toys R Us (I was living in the UK at the time) when I was 3 and was told to pick out what I wanted for Christmas. I picked it out, they brought it home and said that I couldn't use it until Christmas day.

I still wrote letters to Santa but that was because I felt like had to do it because I'm a child. I didn't tell other children though so that's a plus.

Advertisement