Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been stereotyped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    6'2", 250lb biker with a shaved, tattooed head & a gargantuan goatee beard...take a wild guess :pac::pac::pac:...

Umm, Simon King, about to unleash a devastating rack of lamb?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I practically never drink, which confuses people abroad no end - "but you're Irish, you must love Guinness!"- but also leads to stereotyping here, as people assume I must be anti-alcohol. I'm not, I just don't particularly like the taste! It sometimes feels like I have to prove to people that I don't care what's in their glass & I'm just there to enjoy a night out...

People also presume I'm posh when they hear I went to Trinity, but I'm from a very, eh..., not-posh area.

Also, I once had a French woman cook me potatoes because I was Irish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I once had a French woman cook me potatoes because I was Irish :pac:

Potatoes indeed. This from the land of Gougère, Lobster Thermidor and Bouillabaisse. I should fling the wretched Gallic termigant back to the Artist's Quarter quare live-lah! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I have that I will leave it open to guesses as to why ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm a lone parent so yes

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    6'2", 250lb biker with a shaved, tattooed head & a gargantuan goatee beard...take a wild guess :pac::pac::pac:

I can walk into places & you'd think Genghis Khan just walked in, the looks I get :D

Were you in Frankfurt airport last year, and did you have a short dark stranger fall asleep on your shoulder? I fell asleep waiting for a delayed flight on the shoulder of a man fitting your exact description, and he didn't move for three whole hours so as not to disturb me! :)

People think I'm thick, I've got a really dimwitish-looking resting face. Actually, that may not be a stereotype. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a red head, so apparently I've a fiery temper and no soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm a red head, so apparently I've a fiery temper and no soul.

That's not so much a stereotype, as it is cold, hard, irrefutable fact. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I was surprised at the number of women who either panicked or swooned in oestrogen-laden ecstasy at me showing a fairly basic level of parental proficiency when my kids were very young. Like changing a nappy, giving a bottle or comforting after they got a knock was much remarked upon and sometimes heavily supervised lest I get it wrong.

Felt like I had slipped through a time-warp to the 1950's at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Yes. Because I wear glasses people immediately assume I'm good at maths. If they mean 4th class maths then they're correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I have very coarse facial features coupled with the fact that I am very quiet so people have a tendency to assume that I'm quite stupid. It doesn't bother me (nowadays) as their opinion doesn't make it so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Some folk moved into my street once, they were very reserved in talking to me for some reason.
    One day having a natter with them they asked what I done for a living. They always thought I was a Garda for some reason and were amazed that I wasn't.
    With that discovery, they then kept knocking on my door with scorching items that look like they fell off the back of a few trucks.

In contrast, when out in pubs and clubs, I would always get pestered for pills and narcotics non stop on some nights out. I know that there are some people who would get asked the odd time, but for some reason, I was asked 10 -20 times a night.

So I am either a Garda or a Dealer stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Some folk moved into my street once, they were very reserved in talking to me for some reason.
    One day having a natter with them they asked what I done for a living. They always thought I was a Garda for some reason and were amazed that I wasn't.
    With that discovery, they then kept knocking on my door with scorching items that look like they fell off the back of a few trucks.

In contrast, when out in pubs and clubs, I would always get pestered for pills and narcotics non stop on some nights out. I know that there are some people who would get asked the odd time, but for some reason, I was asked 10 -20 times a night.

So I am either a Garda or a Dealer stereotype.
    You've missed your idea gig as a deep undercover NARC then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You've missed your idea gig as a deep undercover NARC then?

Do raids by day, sell my days coup by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

If i walk into a shop without my wife and kids, i get stared out of it by staff and security.

I have the same problem except I don't have a wife and kids so I've no respite whatsoever from it. The security guard in my local Lidl follows me around like I'm Winona Ryder.

I wouldn't mind he know's me at this stage but still keeps doing it. There's probably some 'little old dear' robbing them blind while 'Poirot' follows me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

As an Irish man in England the old stereotypes are often heard.

Ah you must like eat potatoes like everyday mate. No sir, I don't really eat potatoes although I don't mind some sweet potatoes every now and then.

Want a pint of Guinness QM? Nah your grand, get me a pint of good auld English ale please.

I have got asked were leprechauns real. I like to say only you Welsh think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭outsidein98

Like Boom_bap I get mistaken for an undercover cop. I have a naturally serious face. Drug dealers scuttle away when they see me coming. So it would be a nightmare if I wanted to develop a drug habit. One day I was in a car with a girl who is also a bit cop looking, driving through a certain suburb of Dublin. Some kids spotted us and called us 'pigs'. On the other hand I got a lot of work as a TV extra as a Garda/Prison Officer/detective etc. You should look into that Boom_bap! Make it pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

pcardin wrote: »
    Ich auch bin überrascht! :pac: Es kann nicht wahr sein! :D

Was kann ich sagen? Angeblich ist Deutsch teufelschwer und Englisch die leichteste Sprache der Welt...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The amount of grannies who used to cross the street from me when I had pink hair and my nose ring in. Now, however, with a 'natural' hair colour and the same nose ring they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Because I have a child and choose to work as a stay at home mam rather then 'go out' to work. People automatically assume I'm not bothered. Being a stay at home parent is the hardest job ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

XplaygirlX wrote: »
    Because I have a child and choose to work as a stay at home mam rather then 'go out' to work. People automatically assume I'm not bothered. Being a stay at home parent is the hardest job ever
    if you're independently financially secure to make that decision, fair play.

But if you think being a house wife is the hardest job ever, imagine having to get your kids up and out to the creche before you start your commute, do your nine hours, then crawl to the creche, get your exhausted kids, get home make their tea, get then into their pjs, get them to sleep, have your own tea, then die in bed before you drag yourself up to do it all again to pay for peoples rent allowance, jsa, jsb, child allowance, Christmas bonus, back to school allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've got shoulder-length hair so that means I'm a hippy or a musician.

The musician one is annoying because people fling guitars at me at parties (I fúckin' hate people with guitars at parties) and expect me to belt out a tune.

The hippy one is annoying because people put me in a box politically or think I'm spiritual and then act surprised when I don't agree with their views.

Ouch. Peer pressured into being a guitar wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I regularly had trouble getting taxis in England for a few months fter the Eniskillen bombing.

Ditto with the others above re the long hair. I often get asked am I in a band or if I have any hash.

Always confused me in my first year of secondary school, why my classmates and teachers would be shocked when I failed every single test and cept saying "I thought you'd get the best in the class!", and I continuously got away with murder from each of my teachers. For despite being the biggest dosser, looking like a nerdy little swot saved my skin (for a while). I was confused even back then as to why someone's perdicted interest in their schoolwork was measured on their outward appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Yes, in England I was refused a room in a B&B because, I suspect, my Belfast accent. Probably thought I'd be passing through with a shoebox with a load of wires sticking out of it. Got someone else to ring 2 minutes later and the room was magically available. It was a b&b and I was looking for accomodation to start work nearby.

Plenty of times in South America (the irish man will have a drink!) , also they tend to think of every part of Europe as much less corrupt and much more civilised than here, most people think that Ireland is some sort of Switzerland with a bit more craic thrown in. At least people that have been over for a visit, they dont read the irish papers or pay much heed to our self loathing. I do experience a bit of unearned respect merely for being an English speaking European at times, especially in work, it's a bit odd, but you take advantage where you can like.

On the other hand I got a lot of work as a TV extra as a Garda/Prison Officer/detective etc. You should look into that Boom_bap! Make it pay.

I have a face for radio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm carrying a bit of extra weight so people always assume I'm a lazy bitch who lives on the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Not so much for being Irish here but for being Northern European i.e. boring, reserved and cold and even after they discover I'm none of these things, they continue to say things to my face like, "You Northern Europeans are cold". Mad for the stereotypes here, they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apparently, being Irish means I'm meant to have some sort of self-destructive relationship with alcohol.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Apparently, being Irish means I'm meant to have some sort of self-destructive relationship with alcohol.

Yeessss... 'Apparently'.....

<<.<<

>>.>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Unfortunately, yes. A number of my colleagues say that when I get excited I speak German like an Austrian farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Unfortunately, yes. A number of my colleagues say that when I get excited I speak German like an bogger.

FYP
    :pac:
    Only messing

People assume I'm a scumbag/terrorist (like even random who met me for first time)

Jesus couldn't be farther from the truth though!!

FYP
    :pac:
    Only messing

People assume I'm a scumbag/terrorist (like even random who met me for first time)

Jesus couldn't be farther from the truth though!!

You didn't do a great job of 'fixing my post' in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

Yes , I'm the man that mothers threaten their kids with when they're misbehaving , on numerous occasions in public over the years I've had women say to their kids " if you don't be good now I'll get that man over their to come over to you " while either pointing or looking in my direction .

It perplexes me to some degree that some women think I'm a suitable deterrent to stop their kids acting up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm from Galway and when my friends have guests from another country or if we go abroad they always roll me out as some sort of cultural showpiece telling them with gushed awe -- "oh he's from galway" or "the real Ireland" or whatever... like i'm supposed to leap into action and start banging a bodhrán or something...

I don't speak Irish or know folk music/dance.

I do wear wooly jumpers...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Im from a real shtty council estate so people prob expect me to go nowhere but they are always shocked to find out im actually studying in college.. on the inside im saying... ya how do ya like them apples.....beotch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When I was abroad, people were very surprised that I'm not great craic. I was once called a 'shandy'- half lager, half lemonade and I thought that was interesting. All day long, I'm self admittedly lemonade. Why am I the only one accepting of this fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I drive a motorbike and when I wear the full leathers I tend to attract the attention of security guards in shops. Seems to be worst in marks and spencer for some reason.

I'm from Galway and when my friends have guests from another country or if we go abroad they always roll me out as some sort of cultural showpiece telling them with gushed awe -- "oh he's from galway" or "the real Ireland" or whatever... like i'm supposed to leap into action and start banging a bodhrán or something...

I don't speak Irish or know folk music/dance.

I do wear wooly jumpers...:pac:

I'm from Galway myself. There's a certain cohort from Galway who seem to thrive on the idea that being from there bestows them with some special sense of Irishness. That the drink tastes better, the culture is unmatched by any other city in the world; that it represents the epoch of civilization as we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm an atheist vegan, people assume I'm into crossfit. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

He bled for you, so you should sweat for Him. And sweat some brocolli while you're at it :pac:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/49/c9/7b/49c97b4229010faa54da14bd40879430.jpg

Yes, I've been stereotyped as being interested in football all the time. I don't care who kicks what where!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mad scientist or scientists who wear bow ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Having a septum piercing means I'm 'alternative' apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm from Kerry so everyone thinks I'm a "culchie" and love GAA. I'm from a town and my family home is in a housing estate...and I know nothing about GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm from Kerry so everyone thinks I'm a "culchie" and love GAA. I'm from a town and my family home is in a housing estate...and I know nothing about GAA.

But you have your dinner in the middle of the day though?

• Advertisement

I'm a blonde woman. Of course I have!

And this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Maybe stop telling people your an atheist like all atheists do! It's very annoying

But you have your dinner in the middle of the day though?

Is that a Kerry thing? I just do it because of the shifts I work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I am being so at the minute. There's a film on 3e at the minute that was set in one of my (closed now) locals. And they're all pished!

Don't like it at all:(

But when I've been up that way that's *exactly* what it's like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Should you be going on a sun holiday since your ginger. Surely you wouldn't enjoy been out in the sun and be in the shade most most of the time.
    ME: I like the sun
    Would ya not get burnt?

• Advertisement
Advertisement