Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My NCT is at 11pm tonight !

• 03-11-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭

What is the world coming to ? Never thought they would do them so late ! It's in Kells Co Meath. The times I could have gone for today were either 7am or 11pm ! Poor staff. It's a long day !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Janey mac!
    Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fairly sure it's not the same lads at 7am as it is at 11pm.

It's like the man (or woman) flying the plane to San Francisco doesn't just jump out and fuel up and then head her for home again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They operate 24/7 in Ballymun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

11pm today is better than 3 pm in January :D

Stheno wrote: »
    Scared to close the place in case it gets robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why wouldn't they its a money printing machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A lady where I work had hers at 2:30am or something close to it. I bet it's a handy number for the lads at that hour.

M

listermint wrote: »

Yes all these people with non working lights and bald tyres are being ripped off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Scared to close the place in case it gets robbed.

You've obviously never been there :p

A lot of the Dublin Centres are now 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

It's very handy. It used to be a pain in the arse having to take time off work for it.

€58 a pop is a total rip off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's be gas if you went up and said you don't own a car, and then just go through making revving noises.

Yes all these people with non working lights and bald tyres are being ripped off.

Yep that's right all the price increase to the test are all about saving people from those bald tires.

It's a money printing machine .that is factual which is why there was a clamber for the contract.

M

Yep that's right all the price increase to the test are all about saving people from those bald tires.

It's a money printing machine .that is factual which is why there was a clamber for the contract.

It's €55 for a comprehensive test of the car, you won't find many places if you will find any that will do such a certified test of your car with printout of various results for €55.

You've obviously never been there :p

A lot of the Dublin Centres are now 24/7

Haha, was there once with a load of fish in a wagon that some eejit lost the keys of, (started with a screwdriver, no way of locking it), so when I was out the back unloading I left a sports bag with a crab with the bands pulled off in the front seat. Sure enough the bag was gone when I got back in, I'd say they got some shock!

That was twenty years ago now mind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Maybe, but it also keeps a lot of crap cars off the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

If you don't pass, ask the instructor out for a beer,
    tell him the guards never work at night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

RayM wrote: »
    Maybe, but it also keeps a lot of crap cars off the roads.

pity it doesn't keep crap drivers off the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How come they're all so busy,working all hours and weekends. Is there a shortage of test centres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A €50 note in the glove used to work in some test centres, but Primetime Investigates sorted that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's service for ya, then head to Tesco 24/7 for some late shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

kneemos wrote: »
    How come they're all so busy,working all hours and weekends. Is there a shortage of test centres?
    Retests ... ....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Fairly sure it's not the same lads at 7am as it is at 11pm.

It's like the man (or woman) flying the plane to San Francisco doesn't just jump out and fuel up and then head her for home again.

Stop talking sense, man. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

antodeco wrote: »
    It's be gas if you went up and said you don't own a car, and then just go through making revving noises.

I wouldn't pass the emissions test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

It should be every year for all cars.

On a 30 min drive into Galway the other evening, I counted 39 cars with a front light out, and that was just cars coming against me.

That's just people not giving a **** about their car, so I wonder what else is dodgy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

On a 30 min drive into Galway the other evening, I counted 39 cars with a front light out, and that was just cars coming against me.

That's just people not giving a **** about their car, so I wonder what else is dodgy too.

More enforcement from the Gardai is needed not an NCT every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I bet over half of them were Volvos. If the headlight relay goes in some Volvos, a new bulb or fuse wont fix the problem. A new relay has to be soldered onto the central electronics module of the car. I have performed this operation twice with a wood engraver that I bought in Lidl as a soldering iron, because the point was accurate enough for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Sky King wrote: »
    I wouldn't pass the emissions test.

You're a Volkswagen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ally Dick wrote: »
    A €50 note in the glove used to work in some test centres, but Primetime Investigates sorted that out

Well, did she pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

How so? I assume it's similar to the MOT in the UK making sure that your car is actually safe and legal to be on the road.

Maybe you'd rather be back in the late 80s when cars were riddled with rust and held together with twine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

carzony wrote: »
    More enforcement from the Gardai is needed not an NCT every year.

I think both are needed. I think the NCT is quite good, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I had mine at 4.30am a couple of weeks back!
    biko wrote: »
    That's service for ya, then head to Tesco 24/7 for some late shopping.

Wish this was still the case, all of the Tesco's in Dublin close at midnight at the latest these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sorry you had to go to Kells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Dundrum is 24 hours isn't it?

According to the website it closes at midnight like the rest and reopens at 6am.

Fcuking Kells, I had to go there once for an NCT and got a fecking puncture right outside the NCT place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A fella I work with had his at 4am recently. Thought it was a typo on the booking confirmation so had to call them to let them know about their mistake! But nope was 4am..

• Advertisement

petrolcan wrote: »
    How so? I assume it's similar to the MOT in the UK making sure that your car is actually safe and legal to be on the road.

Maybe you'd rather be back in the late 80s when cars were riddled with rust and held together with twine.

Very little comprehensive about it, its hit and miss depending on the centre.

I am all for people looking after their cars, it makes sense.

Ive had fail warnings on vehicles for no reg plate, when i go out to the carpark and test it the reg plate is fine. But sure the lads just shrug their shoulders.

A comprehensive raise in standards of the test centres wouldnt go ary, considering its a mandatory and forced 55 Euro from peoples pockets.

Consistency!

And yes its still a money printing machine, No where did i say it was not required so enough of the guff about balls of twine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That'd be handy, dropping in on the way home from the pub.

I passed the test. They were closing up the test centre after I left. Shutters were down as I was driving away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I passed the test. They were closing up the test centre after I left. Shutters were down as I was driving away
    Good for you.

Did you allow yourself a moment of smugness, thinking that they stayed open late just for you?

Good for you.

Did you allow yourself a moment of smugness, thinking that they stayed open late just for you?

No. It's open till 11 every night. Seems to open at 7am. The geezer behind the counter was mischievous. He called my name and I looked up. I approached the counter, and he started laughing, and said "only messing", and handed me the cert !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

had ours at 2am a few weeks ago and the place was packed.

must have been 15+ cars before us and i assume there was a similiar volume throught the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

kneemos wrote: »

Cars 10 years or older had to go once a year at 1 point.
    Add to that the fact that less new cars were sold for years because people didnt have the money for new cars> more 10+ year old cars stay on the road.

Then of course when new cars were sold a lot new say 2000 -2006, these cars became 10+ year cars.
    Plus the issue of everybody wanting their new car in january of a year and you end up with trying to make an appointment for early january in november and the first available date is april 28th.... (that was what i had last year).

So yeah, they had to open more centres or widen opening hours of the existing ones.

Advertisement