Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards - as good as it used to be?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You will always have posters who want boards to be like the Thunderdome...and others who want it to be as polite as a nuns smile.
    Ya cant keep em all happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

There's a thread that's explicitly racist from around that time when Ireland lost to France with the infamous hand of God moment .Someone started a thread and called Thierry henry a n##)er and people thanked it.Absolutely disgusting.[/QUiv

ive seen that post and it supports what im saying. you wouldn't really see that sort of hardcore blatant racism around the forums today. I barely see any racism but maybe im looking at the wrong threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

OldGoat wrote: »
    Too many peoples! Ban everyone registered from 2005 onwards and then only accept noobs when one of the old school dies...or gets assassinated.
    Ssssshhhhhhh now, just go to sleep everything will be fine.

https://images.rapgenius.com/978d044e20dec64ad87366e313f743c0.717x342x1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Also a lot of posters have become americanized :rolleyes:

...dude, seriously...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

smash wrote: »
    That's all well and good Seamus, but the beta site isn't optimised for mobile. It's just an awful mash up of bad design, with a very poor UI and an even worse user experience. There's literally nothing new, or good about it.

It is optimised more for mobile than it is for desktop at the moment.

The "mobile" bubble will not be around for ever. There's a lot of stats been thrown around that's just rubbish.

As for the OP, i don't think it's changed a whole lot. Posters come and go, but that's the life cycle of an online forum, or a club/society for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Robsweezie wrote: »
    looking through old threads from about 2010-2011 and you see a lot of banned posters, messy grammar and people just being pure dicks to each other . all of these are seen at a much lesser extent nowadays it seems. cleaner, more sterilised. a lot of ''trolls'' have been weeded out.

I think the site has grown up a bit and changed, but for the better? is it as good as It used to be? ive only been on 3 years so im not familiar with the early days.

Fairly new here, any names amongst that lot worth checking out?

Could do with a bit of a laugh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Many say boards grew up as a good thing but it's the exact opposite. Gone is the child like sense of wonder, awe, humour and enjoyment. It has grown up and become a soulless husk of it's former self, all light of imagination and playfulness absent from it's eyes and instead just a weary thousand yard stare.

Boards is now the middle aged office worker. It sold it's soul for a shiny penny in it's youth thinking of how much they could achieve with their potential and ideas only now its over a decade later and all the potential and motivation is gone and there is nothing left except to hope for the sweet embrace of the grave to remove them from this banal existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Maguined wrote: »
    Many say boards grew up as a good thing but it's the exact opposite. Gone is the child like sense of wonder, awe, humour and enjoyment. It has grown up and become a soulless husk of it's former self, all light of imagination and playfulness absent from it's eyes and instead just a weary thousand yard stare.

Boards is now the middle aged office worker. It sold it's soul for a shiny penny in it's youth thinking of how much they could achieve with their potential and ideas only now its over a decade later and all the potential and motivation is gone and there is nothing left except to hope for the sweet embrace of the grave to remove them from this banal existence.

That's exactly what I felt every time I saw "Yore ma" or "Blast it with piss."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

That's exactly what I felt every time I saw "Yore ma" or "Blast it with piss."

Sure it was repeated too many times but it would of reduced in usuage eventually over time but banning it completely is just an over reaction, individually it is not a big deal but the little things all add up to make the place far more sterile than it used to be.

You can judge a society on how it treats it's Facekickers and boards has been left wanting.

Advertisement