Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunmurry Springs GC closed 12.11.19

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Clubs charge entrance fees or hello money because they can. It's a simple as that. If demand outstrips supply, you can do this.

The real value of entrance fees isn't the money it brings in, it's the money it stops going out. If you have an entrance fee, you have a long-term value in being a member of a club. It stops churn which is a killer if club finances are tight.

I'd say every club in the country would charge them if they could. Their reintroduction would be the best possible sign of good health in the golf industry in this country.

If you are down to 200 members and your lender is about to foreclose on you, you are a long way away from being able to charge entrance fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The golfer who moves club every year are the ones that make it very hard for a club to budget.
    Once u paid a joining fee u were basically committing to that club for the long run.

Now u could have 20 or 30 guys joining for a year or 2.
    Lots of clubs doing a special rate for year 1 hoping to catch these guys for a year or 2 before they move on again.
    Joining fees stop that for me it's a sign of a healthy club in a location that can command a premium.
    You often find that the annual sub will be less in a lot of the clubs charging a joining fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

mike12 wrote: »
    You often find that the annual sub will be less in a lot of the clubs charging a joining fee.

Do you have many examples of this?

My very anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think Old Conna have some such offer. Don't know of any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭davegilly

Ballybunion - sub is approx €500.
    Joining is approx €8K.

Say the island 1500 sub compared to Portmarnock links at 2500 last I heard.
    Luttrellstown 2500, think Baltray is around 1100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

davegilly wrote: »
    Ballybunion - sub is approx €500.
    Joining is approx €8K.

American summer money obviously helps keep the sub down as well
    Say the island 1500 sub compared to Portmarnock links at 2500 last I heard.
    Luttrellstown 2500, think Baltray is around 1100.

These are somewhat elite courses mentioned thus far. I suspect they are outside the budget of many golfers. It's unsurprising when discussing courses of that calibre that their entrance fee exceeds that of their subs.

However, with the exception of Ballybunion which has a very affordable sub, the subs mentioned above exceed the subs of the average course in Ireland.
    These subs are less than the joining fee admittedly but the subs are quite high. They're simply catering for a smaller proportion of society rather than charging a price which discourages hopping from club to club.

These are somewhat elite courses mentioned thus far. I suspect they are outside the budget of many golfers. It's unsurprising when discussing courses of that calibre that their entrance fee exceeds that of their subs.

However, with the exception of Ballybunion which has a very affordable sub, the subs mentioned above exceed the subs of the average course in Ireland.
    These subs are less than the joining fee admittedly but the subs are quite high. They're simply catering for a smaller proportion of society rather than charging a price which discourages hopping from club to club.

Down the country I don't think there are joining fees outside the top of the range links courses.
    In Dublin there are joining fees on some average enough courses.
    €1500 is in or around the membership fee for most courses in Dublin that don't have a joining fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

Down the country I don't think there are joining fees outside the top of the range links courses.
    In Dublin there are joining fees on some average enough courses.
    €1500 is in or around the membership fee for most courses in Dublin that don't have a joining fee.
    Douglas in Cork is gone up from 7k to 9K to join this year. I believe they are taking in over 10 new members

Dbu wrote: »
    Douglas in Cork is gone up from 7k to 9K to join this year. I believe they are taking in over 10 new members

How does the annual sub compare to the other courses that don't charge a entry fee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread was all about sadly the closure of another course and now it's not so let's leave it at that. Hopefully all the members get looked after in surrounding courses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement