Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability parking

Options
  • 31-07-2019 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I posted off my form on Monday and just wondering how long it usually takes for a decision? Also wondering for those of you using one who are not actually in a wheelchair, do you get funny looks or even people confronting you about it? I’m early 30s and not in a wheelchair and terrified of using the permit if I get it. It was my OT who told me to apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I posted off my form on Monday and just wondering how long it usually takes for a decision? Also wondering for those of you using one who are not actually in a wheelchair, do you get funny looks or even people confronting you about it? I’m early 30s and not in a wheelchair and terrified of using the permit if I get it. It was my OT who told me to apply.

Get funny looks and told where else to park all the time... I drive a partially sighted lady to places and pick her up using the badge.

I have to go in and get her as she can not walk unaided any distance because can't see the car!

Im late 20's by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you have a card OP then you have a legitimate need, use the card and make life easier for yourself.

There is a bit of a balancing act here. Some people do try and defend disability spaces, but it is not always possible at a glance to know who is misusing a card or parking without a card at all, and who is disabled but not in a wheelchair, or a person going to help someone.

I had that with my husband, he could walk a bit, but no more than a few metres. I would park and go and fetch him from where he would be sitting waiting for me - I tended not to park in the disabled space for long periods if I could go and park somewhere else, or indeed, if the space was taken.
    I was never challenged, but apparently I don't look like someone you would challenge :D or so I am told...

Anyway, if you need it, use it, and if someone challenges you just say 'yes it is my card and I am using it correctly'. Don't mind funny looks, if you are right what do they matter.

Advertisement