Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps out in force

Options
  • 22-07-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭

Hi, do you also see a lot of wasps around your apiary? I have one weak nuc which is being overrun by wasps, two days ago there were several wasps going in and out each minute.

I have reduced the entrance to a single bee space and put wasp traps around (baited with cider). Yesterday, there were a hundred wasps dead in a trap, yet still lots of wasps around. Never seen so many wasps before, I fear that the nuc is going to be lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

victor8600 wrote: »
    Hi, do you also see a lot of wasps around your apiary? I have one weak nuc which is being overrun by wasps, two days ago there were several wasps going in and out each minute.

I have reduced the entrance to a single bee space and put wasp traps around (baited with cider). Yesterday, there were a hundred wasps dead in a trap, yet still lots of wasps around. Never seen so many wasps before, I fear that the nuc is going to be lost.

It'll only get worse in a fortnight. There is still plenty of nectar coming in, no hunge, just easy picking.

https://kiwimana.co.nz/robbing-screen-wasp-and-robbing-honey-bees-afb/

Try this may be, plans online, basic enough but meant to be effective.

The bees know how to get out but others are not sure how to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

After being over run with wasps for the last two years here in The Sunny Southeast there's very few of the little buggers this year. No sign of them around the hives and practically none in the house. Possibly the cull I had last year may have affected their numbers. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

After being over run with wasps for the last two years here in The Sunny Southeast there's very few of the little buggers this year. No sign of them around the hives and practically none in the house. Possibly the cull I had last year may have affected their numbers. :rolleyes::D

I was only thinking recently that I'd hardly seen any wasps around the house this year, they're usually floating around a worm composter I have. Just this week a few have started to make an appearance, not sure what their usual timing is?

Annoying and all as they might be they serve a vital role.

Advertisement