Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audax Rides

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

http://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/dublinmeathkildare-orwell-200/
    you can get details of all Audax events etc from the Audax Ireland site above

its on the 4th March this yr

there is a 300Km version during the summer, it takes in some of the Slieve Blooms (Wolftrap mt.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

nilhg wrote: »
    First taste of Audax today, headed down for the Birr 200, not sure if it's an entirely typical one, kinda faster than I was expecting.

Wet , windy, mucky but very enjoyable spin with some very nice lads

You are still waiting your first taste of Audax! If you have a cx bike or a decent winter bike and are nearish to Dublin I'd be inclined to ride anything Ronnie Moore organises, or head south and ride Inner Ring or Pink Elephant. Yola 200 looks interesting to but a bit of a hike also

I just sent entry in for 3 Rivers 300 in April, which is a brilliant day on bike; first time as an event this year in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

devonp wrote: »
    http://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/dublinmeathkildare-orwell-200/
    you can get details of all Audax events etc from the Audax Ireland site above

its on the 4th March this yr

there is a 300Km version during the summer, it takes in some of the Slieve Blooms (Wolftrap mt.)

Thats the one with the very sexy medal??
    Ive some thinking to do on it...March might be a tad bit early for my training only one century spin under the belt so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

ford2600 wrote: »
    You are still waiting your first taste of Audax! If you have a cx bike or a decent winter bike and are nearish to Dublin I'd be inclined to ride anything Ronnie Moore organises, or head south and ride Inner Ring or Pink Elephant. Yola 200 looks interesting to but a bit of a hike also

I just sent entry in for 3 Rivers 300 in April, which is a brilliant day on bike; first time as an event this year in a long time

I do a lot of mixed road and gravel riding on my cx bike, I'd be very interested in doing one of those rides, but they don't seem to be on this year?

LennoxR wrote: »
    I do a lot of mixed road and gravel riding on my cx bike, I'd be very interested in doing one of those rides, but they don't seem to be on this year?

https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/long-heron-200/

https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/faceless-monk-200/

Those two are on, although at least 3 of his others are not.

https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/yola-200/

That's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I rode the YOLA last year. It's on good roads, no gravel. They're small roads but perfectly fine.

Now this ride in Mayo later in the year is definitely off-topic. http://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/mayo-western-lakes-200100-mtb/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

You are still waiting your first taste of Audax!

Genuinely curious as to why you say that? Is there minimum elevation required to be an official audax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

py wrote: »
    Genuinely curious as to why you say that? Is there minimum elevation required to be an official audax?

Ford probably (not to put words in their mouth) means that the large entry number audaxes with many "racers" are a different sort of event to the small entry numbers events.

Once you do over 200km and get your brevet completed correctly, its an official audax

py wrote: »

It was a half serious joke!

200km rides are the shortest audax events, an introduction to what is required in terms of self reliance with regard to navigation, bike repair, nutrition etc etc which can then be used on the longer events if a rider decides to step up.

The couple of fast early season events are just very long versions of a strong cycling club's Sunday spin; big group (by audax standards), probably not a mudguard in sight, riders with very little idea where they are. Riding in a group like that, there is an increased risk(still relatively small) of an accident.

To my mind your average Sunday club spin riding around main roads is a poor product in comparison to what audax can be; hidden villages, historic sites, empty country lanes, riding with the array of characters who ride these events and encounters with locals along the way.

What happens when you crash and break your collarbone in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of strangers? These are unsupported events, they are not sportives where the entry fee covers a broom wagon of some description.

Start at 7 with staggered 10 min groups nips this in the bud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

...and encounters with locals along the way.

And if you ride any event with Ford2600, he knows them all.
    Every. Single.One.

Remember Alan Partridge's " Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank"? This is like "Audaxing with Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭benneca1

Agree with Ford 2600 down with that type of thing

I know Audaxers are a tough bunch but what happens if the official event cant go ahead (this Sunday) due to the snow (billed as being worse than 2010) that we are forecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

caterpillar-track-snow-bicy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I know Audaxers are a tough bunch but what happens if the official event cant go ahead (this Sunday) due to the snow (billed as being worse than 2010) that we are forecast?

I think you'll find it's 'worst since' rather than 'worse than' which will be quite a different kettle of fish.

That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I think you'll find it's 'worst since' rather than 'worse than' which will be quite a different kettle of fish.

That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.

:eek: You knew what I meant no need to be a smart arse CDALY this time of a MONDAY morning. Good day to you:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:eek: You knew what I meant no need to be a smart arse CDALY this time of a MONDAY morning. Good day to you:rolleyes:
    Ah, but did you?...

Ah, but did you?...

:( What age are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Lads, please. No need for this.

Alek wrote: »
    Lads, please. No need for this.

Agreed totally Alek but c_daly seems to have a problem having never met him in person Im slightly confused to his response.

Mod note: no bickering please, this is a nice thread full of nice people *insert meme here* But seriously nee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...That said, if the event cannot go ahead, it's cancelled, not postponed.
    The Angel of Mons was postponed several times a few years ago due to severe frost but not cancelled (2014 possibly?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

The Angel of Mons was postponed several times a few years ago due to severe frost but not cancelled (2014 possibly?).

I remember that (January 2015 from memory) - ended up being postponed a couple of times into February (although counted as January for RRTY purposes)

I remember that but, subsequently, the concern arose that the CI insurance for an event was specific to the date registered for it and was not transferrable. IIRC, the committee decided that an event could not be postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭guanciale

Hopefully the Orwell ride will go ahead as I need the kms in the legs.
    Given the weather expected a later start than 7am might be worthwhile.

If it cant go ahead I am hoping to do some if not all of the Ling Heron on my CX bike - but that depends on weather also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I remember that but, subsequently, the concern arose that the CI insurance for an event was specific to the date registered for it and was not transferrable. IIRC, the committee decided that an event could not be postponed.

Would it not become a quasi permanent for CI purposes?

I don't think so. You'd have to read the rules to be sure but a ride must be already designated as a permanent before it may be ridden as such and there are issues like notifying the organiser of when you plan to ride to consider also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would it not become a quasi permanent for CI purposes?
    I don't think so. You'd have to read the rules to be sure but a ride must be already designated as a permanent before it may be ridden as such and there are issues like notifying the organiser of when you plan to ride to consider also.

It would be looked as an organised ride under CI, so long as the organiser was notified and agreed to its running, there would be no issue with CI insurance as it would, on paper, be no different than a club spin. In reality it would be a much more audacious task.

As expected - it's cancelled.

Hi all,

Unfortunately we have had to make the decision to cancel this year’s Orwell 200, in light of the deteriorating weather situation on significant parts of the route. This isn’t a decision we have made lightly, but it is now clear that much of the route will not be safe to cycle by Sunday.

We are currently looking at our options for transferring entries or providing refunds and will get back on to you as soon as possible about that.

We hope you all have a safe weekend wherever you are, whether you get out on the bike or not.

Regards,

The organising committee

My first audax event was cancelled due to freezing temperatures and the organiser explaining he could not in good conscience allow it to go ahead. Of the 6 people who were at the Centra in Bray, 6 people venture into Wicklow like lunatics. It was an unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

CramCycle wrote: »
    My first audax event was cancelled due to freezing temperatures and the organiser explaining he could not in good conscience allow it to go ahead. Of the 6 people who were at the Centra in Bray, 6 people venture into Wicklow like lunatics. It was an unpleasant experience.

Did you finish it!?

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Did you finish it!?

Not even close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Have to this weekend's run goes more smoothly. Sunny Ashbourne...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Oh very interesting. Must give them a shot over the summer.

The Excelsior one looks rough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Excelsior... me likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Grassey wrote: »
    The Excelsior one looks rough!

a training cycle for the EVIL :p

Or the Fleche.

devonp wrote: »
    a training cycle for the EVIL :p

Right... so the plan is:

Friday - Excelsior
    Sat - Evil 200
    Sun - W200
    Mon - Coastal Classic warmdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Wonder if we could submit the Evil as a Permanent?

The 2016 route, not the easy versions :D

You possibly could submit it as a permanent. Just looking at this year's route it's no worse than the Excelsior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭guanciale

Given that it covers many of the same roads and climbs it is questionable as to whether it should be a permanent?
    I have an allergy to climbing and a severe allergy to steep climbs.

You possibly could submit it as a permanent. Just looking at this year's route it's no worse than the Excelsior.
    guanciale wrote: »
    Given that it covers many of the same roads and climbs it is questionable as to whether it should be a permanent?
    I have an allergy to climbing and a severe allergy to steep climbs.

Possibly the lack of suitable controls between the shortest distances would mean it could not be done as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Possibly the lack of suitable controls between the shortest distances would mean it could not be done as is.

Was just an idle thought. I know nothing about Audax beyond the fact that you are all nuts.

Someone should build a 24 hour Spar at the Sally Gap. That would solve so many problems.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Was just an idle thought. I know nothing about Audax beyond the fact that you are all nuts.

Someone should build a 24 hour Spar at the Sally Gap. That would solve so many problems.

I remember from an AGM years ago, a discussion about accepting GPS files for it. NamelessPhil might know better than I did they agree on this. I think the agreement was at the organisers discretion, so it is not impossible.

Years ago though, you needed to have unique control points which meant the shortest route between two points was equal to the official route, so there was no way to take shortcuts, which either meant a receipt with time and date from the location, or the organiser to have set up a stamp or question that was not easily answered unless you had been to the location.

I remember once walking upto a cottage as the control had packed up slightly early and I arrived with minutes to spare. So I knocked on the door of the house and had to explain why I wanted them to sign a card to prove I was there, I even got their mobile number if the organiser wanted to check.

For my own permanent, I just accept GPS files or photos of receipts/landmarks. I don't issue a brevet card and I make suggestions for stopping points.

This is acceptable for the RRTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Midleton 200 Audax completed today (along with about another 30 riders)
    Know the route really well at this stage,a mixed day,rain until about midday and then it turned into a really lovely afternoon and pleasantly mild.
    Actually got to ride on dry roads for a couple of hours,amazing!

Great to catch up with a few old friends on the road.
    My first 200 of the year so am feeling it a bit now

Many thanks to the organiser who always does a brilliant job.

• Advertisement

Rode Midelton 200 today also, my 7th time I think and slowest by a distance but loved it. 2 30km spins a week for last 12 months will do that!

Sound bunch on road, and the wind and rain for first half was fine. The sunny finish was lovely.

On a side note, the organiser with his broken hip drove the route on Wednesday to check it for today. Did up detailed note on issues following a storm and added a wonderful detour. Some lads just for things the right way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Very pleasant Tara 200 yesterday (Sunday 11 March). As usual, amazing organisation and support (and all the boiled eggs you can eat!).

Surprisingly hilly first half, but the second half was a bit handier.

38960338990_478c33aa15.jpgflickr

26883191838_effc2960b9.jpgwinter riders 1

Orwell 200 - I registered using my work email so will have no access to it before Sunday's rescheduled ride. If it's postponed again I'd appreciate it if someone could post here. I don't wish to be looking like an orphan outside Joe Daly's at 7am on Sunday morning. :)

(Nothing yet on Orwell's website). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Wishbone Ash, I can post an update for Orwell 200 if anything crops up.

Thanks Resoguy - appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement