Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraditis!

Options
  • 20-06-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Yes, the dread disease has got inside my brain, and I can't help but feel I need to start changing things on my lovey Variado... naturally, the first thing I'm changing will be the crankset, so as to have Ultegra Ice all round (I'm snobby like that)

Now, I also may be getting a little extra cash coming my way, so I think a nice new shiny set of wheels should be the next way to go. The question to you folks is simple (yeah right!)... which wheels should I go for?

It's currently got Shimano RS-20's on it, which are basically 105 standard, so would I get a much better wheelset for 300 quid, or should I spend 500 (I know it's a case of how long's a piece of string, but I'm wondering what good options are out there)

So, let's say max of 500 (including delivery), for a nice shiny wheelset that will hold my 100 kgs :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RS-20s are meant to be good wheels to start with so if you really want to make an improvement you might want to be spending around the 500 all right.

I got DT Swiss RR 1450s (not the Mon Chasseral) from CRC (£379/€480) which I have been really very happy with, really lighten the bike and make it easier to get up those hills. They do have a max rider weight limit of 90kg though :-( These are a pretty light (1480g) wheelset, plenty stiff as far as I can tell too, but do look very "traditional" (as they are, they are actually handbuilt by DT in Switzerland) and lack the in-your-face "look at me" that you will get with a factory wheelset. No red spokes either.

Another good option might be Fulcum Racing 3s - these are meant to be mega-stiff and particularly good for heavier riders. You can get them in Cyclesuperstore for €395 which is lower than I have seen anywhere in the UK. I've seen marginally cheaper on a German site but with the postage it comes out within €10 or so. Buying locally is always a good thing if something goes wrong, as it obviously can do with wheels in particular.

I am considering upgrading my own crankset to Ultegra SL for the same reason "all matching" look but TBH I am not sure if it is worth the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    RS-20s are meant to be good wheels to start with so if you really want to make an improvement you might want to be spending around the 500 all right.

I am considering upgrading my own crankset to Ultegra SL for the same reason "all matching" look but TBH I am not sure if it is worth the benefit.

That's what I thought... they're not a bad set at all, it's just in my mind that I want to upgrade. Afraid I'm too heavy for them DT Swiss wheels, but those fulcrums look *pretty* -always a consideration.

I hear you about the lack of benefit in upgrading to Ultegra, but damnit I want to match!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's what I thought... they're not a bad set at all, it's just in my mind that I want to upgrade. Afraid I'm too heavy for them DT Swiss wheels, but those fulcrums look *pretty* -always a consideration.
    They do, they look very nice indeed in the flesh. I was actually a little disappointed at first when the DT wheels arrived, they really do look very plain! Ride great though. A wheelset is a good thing to put a bit of money into (more so than a crankset) as you can always swap them over if you upgrade the bike/frame later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    They do, they look very nice indeed in the flesh. I was actually a little disappointed at first when the DT wheels arrived, they really do look very plain! Ride great though. A wheelset is a good thing to put a bit of money into (more so than a crankset) as you can always swap them over if you upgrade the bike/frame later.

That's the plan really... get a good wheelset, and then in the future just pick up a nice carbon frame, and swap wheels and Ultegra over... it's a perfect plan :)

Advertisement