Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The finale of Lost aired 10 years ago this week. Were you a fan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fùcking AAA not going back for the finale to be Mr. Eko was super annoying however.

Don't think he was well liked on set
    hence his sudden death

From what I read back then, Terry O'Quinn (Locke) got into some rows with him. In that situation the Producers are only going to fire one person

For one the 22 episode season is just woefully exposed as bloat for the sake of it and was probably the reason Cuse and Lindelof ended up in a hole narratively.

22/24 episodes was the norm back then. There's no way it'd work today with seasons that long

It was dragged out because ABC wanted more and more seasons. They had to be talked down from 10 seasons to 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

I dont get all the hate for the ending- there was actually sort of two different endings -
    A perfectly clear explanation of the island and its purpose second to last episode.

Going try explain with no spollers....

The final episodes ending was a separate story about the events AFTER the main story and so had its own ending- this ending would have sucked if it applied to the whole 6 series, but it didnt- and I think thats where the confusion lies?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Lost is one of my favourite TV shows of all time.

I see the finale is getting a lot of discussion here. There is a 106 page Boards.ie thread on the finale at the time here.

I see some posts above say the show is on Amazon Prime. Does that include Ireland? When I click here it says "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location".

In terms of the best of Lost ... The Constant is one of my favourite TV episodes of all time.

Basq wrote: »
    Oh, and Giacchino's music was sublime!

This music in this scene is just incredible.

I went to see the Lost Concert in the National Concert Hall last year entitled "We Have to Go Back". Amazing unique evening. The show had wonderful music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Polar101

Really liked the second and third seasons, after that it started to feel like they didn't plan it out very well. I didn't enjoy it once they started doing flash-forwards instead of flashbacks. And I guess they "off-island" stuff wasn't very interesting.

I feel like it was a show that was great at the time, but one that I have never felt an urge to re-watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,266 ✭✭✭✭Penn

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I can't understand why they gave an overshot of the initial plane crash at the end with everyone lying motionless?

There were no people. It was just the plane wreckage on the empty beach. Just as a "Heres where it all started" over the end credits. It wasn't part of the story or significant at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Me shouting 'pick up the fcuking phone Penny' at the end of The Constant. What an episode, probably the best.

I'd have a theory it killed the show though - it was so well received that they went down the time travel route in the following season and it just stopped working.

Loved 'We have to go back' as well, spine-chilling moment to end a season.
    Season 1 - the reveal that John Locke had been in a wheelchair before the flight was done superbly - it was his first flashback ep and they hid his paralysis until the last flashback scene. That got me hooked.
    Poor old Nikki and Paulo never get a mention in these best of Lost talks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Me shouting 'pick up the fcuking phone Penny' at the end of The Constant. What an episode, probably the best.

I'd have a theory it killed the show though - it was so well received that they went down the time travel route in the following season and it just stopped working.

Loved 'We have to go back' as well, spine-chilling moment to end a season.
    Season 1 - the reveal that John Locke had been in a wheelchair before the flight was done superbly - it was his first flashback ep and they hid his paralysis until the last flashback scene. That got me hooked.
    Poor old Nikki and Paulo never get a mention in these best of Lost talks :)

Walkabout episode 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The Hurley Ben scene at the end was great.

Fùcking AAA not going back for the finale to be Mr. Eko was super annoying however.

If you rewatch Mr. Eko's "confession" scene knowing what we know now it does track very well with what the island was, who he was actually talking too etc.

Makes me wonder did they half at least half an idea where they were going with it at that stage.....

I must try find my post from the finale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Interesting after all these years that Lost can still manage to spawn an 8 page thread in just 48 hours.

I vividly remember the fights in work when people spoke out of turn and spoiled something for someone that hadn't yet seen the most recent episode.

Desmond was always my favourite character, despite being a latecomer.

Michael Giacchino is a legend his Lost, Star Trek and Rogue One soundtracks are amongst my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have great time and respect for the show. It was the first time I ventured to other areas of the internet to watch stuff as channel 4 was literally 1 year behind

So many great characters. I didn't hate the last season or finale like others.

It kind of started my love for tv dramas as I then quickly went looking for other shows and found the likes of 24, prison break and Battlestar Galactica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I have great time and respect for the show. It was the first time I ventured to other areas of the internet to watch stuff as channel 4 was literally 1 year behind.
    This is another reason why it's such a pivotal TV show for me. I remember the buzz around the pilot and seeking it out. It was probably the first show to bridge what was a common 1 year gap between being televised in the states and being broadcast on this side of the Atlantic which we all probably take for granted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

S.M.B. wrote: »
    This is another reason why it's such a pivotal TV show for me. I remember the buzz around the pilot and seeking it out. It was probably the first show to bridge what was a common 1 year gap between being televised in the states and being broadcast on this side of the Atlantic which we all probably take for granted now.

It was actually because of LOST that the gap no longer exists. By season 4 or 5 new episodes were broadcast in other countries around the world within 48 hours of it airing in the states, to try and stop people from torrenting it.

48 hours was unheard of back then, and to think today some of the HBO stuff simulcasts on Sky Atlantic at the same time it airs in the US. If someone had told be that at 17/18 years old when LOST was first starting that such a thing was possible I would've thought they were winding me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was actually because of LOST that the gap no longer exists. By season 4 or 5 new episodes were broadcast in other countries around the world within 48 hours of it airing in the states, to try and stop people from torrenting it.

48 hours was unheard of back then, and to think today some of the HBO stuff simulcasts on Sky Atlantic at the same time it airs in the US. If someone had told be that at 17/18 years old when LOST was first starting that such a thing was possible I would've thought they were winding me up.
    Didn't Sky simulcast the Lost finale? Must've been one of the first times it was done.

Edit: Yup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Didn't Sky simulcast the Lost finale? Must've been one of the first times it was done.

Edit: Yup!

Edit: Nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, I threw a probably in there as I wasn't sure if there was another show around the same time that also shortened the gap and part of me thinks that if it wasn't Lost that changed the game it would have been something else, maybe not though.

I don't think as many people had American friends helping them out so much back then so it was quite difficult in the early years to not spoil the show for a large cohort of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I remember on forums, not so much boards as I don't think I read boards back then that it was an absolute disaster to avoid spoilers for people watching UK pace. It was a bit like the game of thrones forum on here that had non book and book threads. You always had someone go into the UK pace thread and say something that only US pace would know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

I just realized that Lost was the first TV series that I ever binged. A work colleague gave me a loan of his HDD over the weekend and I watched the first 10 episodes back to back over a weekend, after that I was hooked!

Of course I have binged on probably 100 series since then, but it was Lost that stole my Binginity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’ve never watched this , is it worth it?
    I remember at the time all the talk of it but I never watched tv.
    Only started watching series after I binged on GOT after season 5 finished.
    Nothing has matched Game of Thrones since for me.
    It’s like GOT ruined tv for me as nothing has come close to that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

I used to wake up in the middle of the night, to stream the new episodes from the US. And then I would read the blog, lostandgoneforever

I remember when one of the seasons (season 5?) ended with Locke in the coffin. I was petrified.

I am still holding out for an alternative finale season, where they just ignore season 6, and actually provide answers for all the unsolved questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wasn't a fan. Didn't watch season 1 or 2, then for some reason started at season 3. Then stopped and I think E4 or something had a rewatch of all the seasons during the day so I used to record and watched all season 1 & 2, then I was hooked. My GF at the time used to laugh, I went skiing and would make sure I seen no updates and then when I got back at 2 in morning I sat down in house, absolutely shattered but had a beer and caught up....

Thinking back now, I can't even remember how it all finished up. Is it on any of the streaming services these days to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it on any of the streaming services these days to watch?
    Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime

Does it work for Irish accounts without a VPN? I get an error message saying Lost is not available in the RoI.

Amazon Prime

All seasons Basq?

I thought someone in this thread said it was just the first one

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    Does it work for Irish accounts without a VPN? I get an error message saying Lost is not available in the RoI.

Ah balls

I really wish UK services would stop excluding ROI for things like this

XsApollo wrote: »
    It’s like GOT ruined tv for me as nothing has come close to that experience.

Both Lost and The West Wing are miles above GOT

Checked my Prime, thanks Basq. All seasons....now to get rid of the kids for the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Im rewatching on first season and its still very good. I gave it a ten for what it was and how much i loved it bit yeah the ending was awful.

Im shocked that it was probably 18 years ago i first seen it:eek:

Who was your favourite character? And why?

For me, it was this guy. Reason: from his Walkabout episode on I was hooked

200.gif

Runner up: Hurley

tumblr_m4p280ax971rumrmwo1_250.gifv

And Ben was such a strong character too

This show was all about the amazing characters. People got caught up too much in the mysteries of the island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matthew Fox hasn't been in anything for 5 years now has he retired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And whatever about people liking what the ending means, surely every loves the actual final scenes of
    Jack dying the same way he woke up on the island, with the the dog coming out again but this time so he doesn't die alone, and then finally closing his eyes

Reasons listed here https://www.looper.com/47214/hollywood-wont-cast-matthew-fox-anymore/

Including
    In August 2011, Fox's name was dragged through the mud as he was accused by a Cleveland woman of punching her in a delicate area of her body.

Later, his former Lost co-star Dominic Monaghan claimed on Twitter in 2012 that "he beats women" as a reference to that event. The woman's suit was ultimately dropped and Fox vehemently denied the claims, but his reputation was already sullied.

Fox denied the allegations completely in an interview with Ellen, but it's hard to undo damage like that once it's been done.

More on Dominic's tweets https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/matthew-fox-dominic-monaghan-fight-330975

And, as well as that, he'd be still getting Lost royalties from Blu Ray etc I'm sure? With those he never has to work again

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why do people find the ending awful? I didn't love it, but I thought it was decent enough.
    Ja know what ill report back after i watch it through in one. I kinda forget the end and lost interest a bit.

Why do people find the ending awful? I didn't love it, but I thought it was decent enough.

I didn't find it awful, but maybe a 5 out of 10

For 6 years we'd built up the finale so much in our minds and on forums. So when it arrived it was never going to meet these huge expectations we'd set it

A few people I know were more annoyed about the
    flash-sideways stuff, and complaining "It was purgatory the whole time even though they said it wasn't!" They don't fully agree that everything that happened on the island was real life, and it was ONLY the flash-sideways that was a type of purgatory. But I think the initial watch of the episode just annoyed some people and soured them on it. I thought the idea of the flash-sideways was genius, could see each character being able to resolve the issues they had in life before being able to move on with their death (Jack's issues with his father by becoming a father himself, Sawyer being a cop instead of a conman etc). As for what happened on the island in the finale, the mysteries had gotten so out of hand that the only reasonable way to resolve them was just "It's magic, deal with it".

Either way, I enjoyed the ending of the characters' stories and the story of the island as a whole.

I cant read the spoliers. I can't really remember the ending anymore. Different bits are coming back to me as I think about it. Any chance I could talk the MIsses into watching it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought the final episode (The End) was decent, a satisfying enough conclusion.
    Across the Sea (the Jacob/Man in Black episode) totally polarised opinion as well but I liked it for what it was.
    Ab Eterno (sp) the long awaited back story of Richard was fun as well.

But I didn't like the last series at all in regards to how it handled the original characters - there were too many nonsense end-of-ep cliff-hangers which ultimately went nowhere, and too much manouvering of people into groups only to nullify it the following week by completely changing the groups.

I'd genuinely have more memory of what Sawyer or Saeed did in the first series than the last.
    It was like they put the whole show into a holding pattern just to get to the last episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I remember seeing him in some by the numbers cop thriller (I can't even remember the name) and he was absolutely jacked in it.... Like borderline Christian Bale level of transformation and I had wondered previously what happened too him.... This does explain it.

Interesting that none of the cast went onto real A-List status

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ziedth wrote: »
    I remember seeing him in some by the numbers cop thriller (I can't even remember the name) and he was absolutely jacked in it.... Like borderline Christian Bale level of transformation and I had wondered previously what happened too him.... This does explain it.

Interesting that none of the cast went onto real A-List status

It was an adaptation or continuation of the Alex Cross series that Morgan Freeman helmed, Kiss The Girls, etc. Terrible books by James Patterson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,303 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure didn't everyone just stay in Hawaii for Five-0? :)
    I know Hurley, Locke and Jin were in it anyway.
    Most seem to be doing well enough.

Kate has been in the Hobbit trilogy and is in the MCU (Wasp), Mr. Eko was in both MCU (Thor) and DCEU (Suicide Squad), Desmond and Miles were reunited in the MCU's Inhumans series. Shannon is in Fear The Walking Dead. I think Charlie just stopped acting and does nature programmes now.

Sawyer was the one I was most suprised not to see break out onto bigger roles.

Kate has been in the Hobbit trilogy and is in the MCU (Wasp), Mr. Eko was in both MCU (Thor) and DCEU (Suicide Squad), Desmond and Miles were reunited in the MCU's Inhumans series. Shannon is in Fear The Walking Dead. I think Charlie just stopped acting and does nature programmes now.

Sawyer was the one I was most suprised not to see break out onto bigger roles.

Charlie was in a good few things after, though not huge roles. He was even in the last Star Wars film (Miles has even been in them too, maybe just The Force Awakens). He was in the first Wolverine film too.

Sawyer I think was starring in some detective type show for a while, then a sci-fi show. But yeah, thought he'd have been the one to really get decent roles after it.

Evangeline Lilly seems to have been the one to come out the best, which is fair enough I think. Although I think there were better actors on the show, she still did a great job throughout and she's great as The Wasp.

Desmond's the one I'd love to see more of. An incredible performance throughout, and a hell of an actor.

Mr Eko, that was one character that had huge potential and then bang he was gone

Mr Eko, that was one character that had huge potential and then bang he was gone

Yeah as someone else mentioned, he was supposed to be a big part of the show, but he didn't like living in Hawaii and seemingly got into regular arguments with the cast so he asked to be written out. He was a brilliant character though, really would have liked to have seen him continue.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah as someone else mentioned, he was supposed to be a big part of the show, but he didn't like living in Hawaii and seemingly got into regular arguments with the cast so he asked to be written out. He was a brilliant character though, really would have liked to have seen him continue.

He was supposed to last 4 seasons but afaik they've never fully revealed his planned would be arc, just said they moved the bigger points of it onto others and highlighted Locke and I think Sayid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always felt that they wrote and created all these mysteries and talking points but they had no idea how to resolve them and just dropped them, never to be addressed again. It's why the start was so much better than the rest of the show, once they finally had to start explaining just what was happening, the whole thing fell apart.

I always felt that they wrote and created all these mysteries and talking points but they had no idea how to resolve them and just dropped them, never to be addressed again. It's why the start was so much better than the rest of the show, once they finally had to start explaining just what was happening, the whole thing fell apart.

My thoughts exactly!

Did they ever explain why they had Polar bears :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did they ever explain why they had Polar bears :-)
    Dharma was doing experiments with them, keeping them in cages on Hydra island. It's later implied that they were used to push the "frozen donkey wheel" that Ben used in Season 4 to move the island.

Advertisement