Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The finale of Lost aired 10 years ago this week. Were you a fan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have watched all seasons of Bosch and could never figure out where I knew the actor from......he was the man in black....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I always felt that they wrote and created all these mysteries and talking points but they had no idea how to resolve them and just dropped them, never to be addressed again. It's why the start was so much better than the rest of the show, once they finally had to start explaining just what was happening, the whole thing fell apart.

I'd disagree slightly, I think they did go out of their way to try and explain as much as possible in the last two seasons, to the point where
    most of Season 5 was set in the 70's to show everything about Dharma and The Others, and in Season 6 we got flashback episodes for Richard and Jacob/Man In Black as well as explanations for the numbers, how the island heals people, the whispers.

The issue with the final season wasn't so much they didn't explain everything, if anything I felt they went to such lengths to try explain everything when really the answers for most of it just weren't that good. But I do agree they just made a lot of it up as they went and found themselves in a corner for a lot of it. Part of the issue was some people watched more for the mysteries of everything and wanting to see the explanations (which the writers are guilty of playing into and throwing even more mysteries into it), whereas the focus should always have been on the characters. The mysteries were never important, they were just what led the characters on their journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I seem to remember an interview they did at the time about Stephen King's influence on them, and how they liked the fact he didn't tend to plan things out ahead of time. Anyone that's read On Writing by King might recall he reveals in the book very few of his novels have an outline from beginning to end. I think he says The Dead Zone was one of the few which had, and he notes that's one of his most popular works. But most of the time he lets the story work itself out.

I believe Cuse and Lindelof followed this same formula, putting in these various mysteries - let's drop in a four-toed statue for fun, what if Walt was made to appear supernatural etc. - and ultimately believed they'd work it out 'later on'. Alas, when 'later on' became 'the all important ending' they had no idea how to dig themselves out of their holes.

I like King myself, but not sure he's the one you want to have as your influence when it comes to satisfactory endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Ive never seen an episode of Lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have watched all seasons of Bosch and could never figure out where I knew the actor from......he was the man in black....

Titus Welliver

Superb actor and absolutely perfect casting for his role in Lost

AFfmiQZ9K_AqVELGlhjBTYMfJSIg3HQt_zqPoY2lLDFPmLrJmAcVuUA-ObT5uZaSj1xMc89J3Bs-2w5uOacuXx0OrsqoM60xhkfDiLw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf they fùcked up the Walt thing by casting an actual age appropriate actor. I think a growth spurt was the problem that meant he had to disappear earlier than planned. Same happened in The Walkong Dead with Madison Lintz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I always found it odd that Walt seemed to be the only person under 20 of the survivors on that side of the island. I suppose probably not the oddest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If I remember right the show also lead to an upsurge in sales of Flann O'Brien books because one of his books was used as a prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’ve never watched this , is it worth it?
    I remember at the time all the talk of it but I never watched tv.
    Only started watching series after I binged on GOT after season 5 finished.
    Nothing has matched Game of Thrones since for me.
    It’s like GOT ruined tv for me as nothing has come close to that experience.

GOT's follows Lost, in the sense that Lost was the first fantasy TV show on such a big scale. If you mean you're looking for a show like GOT, that transports you to another world of escapism, then yes, Lost should do the job. Whatever about other TV, GOT certainly won't have ruined Lost for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

The last season really is terrible. They spend half the season on a red herring, that is, the flash sideways which are completely irrelevant to the main story.

They even opened the 6th season with the plane not crashing and the island at the bottom of the ocean to make you think it was a different timeline or something. Nope.

The sheer amount of mysteries that they set up and didnt answer is criminal. And rather than answer existing mysteries they kept adding new ones.

The characters are some of the best ever written though, that is undeniable. And The Constant is probably one of the best ever episodes of television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

I enjoyed the first season and maybe half the second.

After that I kept watching under the assumption they would explain it all sooner or later.

In the end I felt cheated. That firstly made it up as they went skiing and there was no grand plan.

I will never watch any TV series by the same makers again

dubrov wrote: »
    I will never watch any TV series by the same makers again

In fairness, I think that'd be a huge mistake. The Leftovers and Watchmen, both by Damon Lindelof, are two of the best things I've seen in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

The first 2 seasons were class. The 3rd was pretty good too. But it spiralled after that and became way too confusing. Take this from someone who’s rewatched the first few seasons a good few times and gradually lost interest as it goes into the last few seasons.

It seemed there was a good original concept for the show but to justify everything that was happening it really had to be a far fetched ending. Seemed like the writers made it up as they went along and the ending wasn’t the original idea at the start.

This. Was an intruiging concept, but it's clear that they really had no idea where they were going with it. After the first couple of seasons it just got very silly. I stuck with it to the end, but I wouldn't recommend starting now if you haven't seen it. Not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

trashcan wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend starting now if you haven't seen it. Not worth it.

Oh it absolutely is

Lost should be watched for the characters and the journey. Not the mysteries

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Oh it absolutely is

Lost should be watched for the characters and the journey. Not the mysteries

I'd agree. Plus I'd say it's probably better as a binge-watch without having to wait years for answers on things.

Lost is one of those series which would be great to binge watch, the whole waiting and trying to remember back to previous season ,.....take a week off and just binge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone know what I am doing wrong on Amazon.

When I got to play Lost I still get the error message "This title isn't available in your location".

Multiple posters above say they were able to play this on Amazon Prime. Did you have to change location?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Overall i enjoyed the series as it was worth it for the characters journey played by excellent actors.

But yeah,the shows plots turned into a incoherent mess after a while.

JTMan wrote: »

When I got to play Lost I still get the error message "This title isn't available in your location".

Multiple posters above say they were able to play this on Amazon Prime. Did you have to change location?

Thanks

Are you on Firestick? is other programs working?

Are you on Firestick? is other programs working?

No and yes.

I am going to this webpage and I am met with 2 error messages. The first says "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location. Go to PrimeVideo.com to see the video catalogue in the Republic of Ireland." and the second says "This title isn't available in your location".

Any thoughts as to why would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

No and yes.

I am going to this webpage and I am met with 2 error messages. The first says "Some videos may not be available to watch from your location. Go to PrimeVideo.com to see the video catalogue in the Republic of Ireland." and the second says "This title isn't available in your location".

Sometimes I've found Amazon, for some reason, don't allow some of their shows to be shown in ROI. I was looking for Scrubs a few months and seems to be the same story. Very annoying

No and yes.

Works for me but I have my location set as UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I haven't read through the thread but for me Lost was fantastic, but the storylines just seemed to spiral out of control for the writers so they couldn't finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Figured out, during the first series, that they it was going to end in some sort of purgatory nonsense. Saw the final episode...and it was some sort of purgatory nonsense.

It was all just bollocks made up as they went along and strung out for 10 years.

Was it Lucozade that used to have the 30 sec ad before each episode to guess what it was about;.....

Works for me but I have my location set as UK

My default address is Parcel Motel in the UK.

How did you change your location to the UK?

My default address is Parcel Motel in the UK.

How did you change your location to the UK?

Got them on chat and told them I moved from Rep of Irel to Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It works for me and I'm on the Irish version of Prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

LOST is great. Looking forward to a rewatch in a few years.

Thanks

What device are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

All of this is on Amazon prime, I'm just finished season 2 and enjoying it all as if for the first time again

Advertisement