Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacGyver (2016)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any channel over here taking it on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is someone going to allow us Spoiler it or are we to use tags?
    For me it was setup to setup to setup, even Niki standing up on a ledge was a setup, why say "stud finder" when he just needed a battery? Empty highway for the big explosion? Baddie driving? Don't think I'll be doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Harmless . I'll probably watch a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Clareman wrote: »
    Is someone going to allow us Spoiler it or are we to use tags?
    For me it was setup to setup to setup, even Niki standing up on a ledge was a setup, why say "stud finder" when he just needed a battery? Empty highway for the big explosion? Baddie driving? Don't think I'll be doing it again

I would guess spoiler tags like ever other show talked about here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I thought it was way too Hollywood. Like using a stainless steel tray to block bullets. Cop the fùck on. That's never going to block bullets.
    I thought it would be a lot better with out the 'macgyver crap'. Like cracking a hand scanner with plaster and cracking everything else with a paper clip.

Saying that the Hawaii five o that followed had equally bad parts. They had a 5 minutes (actual time) chase through the streets scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That was not very good. The bit with the plane was so poorly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I may be fixated on the original too much but I suppose I was brought up on it (I don't use a Swiss army knife , I use a leatherman http://bestmultitoolkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Leatherman-Wave-Black-Oxide-Finish-Multi-Tool-with-Nylon-MOLLE-Sheath.jpg but the same idea :D )

The problem solving was all too quick , everything was done in 30 seconds , which is fine but it doesn't really show the thinking on his feet the original was known for , there was no putting it together and to me this is a huge loss. Burn Notice did the Macgyver stuff much better and the voice over was more in tune with what you would expect.

RDA is very or was very anti gun one of the reasons Macgyver never uses them , this time around he seems ok with Dalton executing everyone around him. Lazy attempt at a reboot , I know my Nephew who is the age now I was when I saw the original will not watch one these in full. it just looks like all the other action shows , 5-0 , NCIS LA , CSI Miami, Scorpion. All glossy and all the bases covered in Lady hacker , Muscle head friend and also the friend of alternate race . Recast the boss as female . They do all that and forget to at least try and write something half interesting .

It is possible to do 22 ep's a season. yes some will be bad but some will be great and overall still watchable after 10years ...Supernatural

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup have a sneaky this series is going to just disappear. Watched the first episode to see what it was like and won't be watching anymore. Too trite, obvious and just damn lazy.

Feel sorry for the guy from CSI but guess after his challenges on that show this much be some sort of purgatory for him.

Hopes seriously dashed on this one.

bpb101 wrote: »
    I thought it would be a lot better with out the 'macgyver crap'. Like cracking a hand scanner with plaster and cracking everything else with a paper clip.

and the details in that , He didn't even line up his hand correctly with the finger positions . The original MacGyver would have used finer dust , and also Cling film so he could see where his fingers should be pressing just to make it believable . Like a said lazy on the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Joeface wrote: »
    He didn't even line up his hand correctly with the finger positions .

It's as if the actor didn't really believe the Horse manure himself, shur this is bollix anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched it... awful and it's nothing to do with the nostalgia factor.

Every problem solved in 20 seconds, a "cool black guy" who was barely intelligible with the cool lingo, ridiculously loud and continuous music score over every scene, not sure what the captions ("paperclip") are about, piss-poor CGI, and the whole thing just frantically rushes from scene to scene without any coherence in a blink-and-you've-missed-half-of-it mess of conveniences and absurdity (even for a show like this).

The only good point was the use of CCR - Fortunate Son during the helicopter scene. Don't think I'll be watching any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that the tech/girlfriend is a robot is the only explaination for her blank expressions
    look her up to see what she been in she was the terrible actress from Revolution

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just watched it... awful and it's nothing to do with the nostalgia factor.

Every problem solved in 20 seconds, a "cool black guy" who was barely intelligible with the cool lingo, ridiculously loud and continuous music score over every scene, not sure what the captions ("paperclip") are about, piss-poor CGI, and the whole thing just frantically rushes from scene to scene without any coherence in a blink-and-you've-missed-half-of-it mess of conveniences and absurdity (even for a show like this).

The only good point was the use of CCR - Fortunate Son during the helicopter scene. Don't think I'll be watching any more.
    cool black guy? what black guy

cool black guy? what black guy

Did you watch it?

Did you watch it?
    yes and just can't remember any black guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm surprised at the negativity here! I admit I thought it was going to be crap when I read that it was happening and all of the details that were subsequently released really didn't fill me with confidence. However, having watched the episode, I thought it was okay. It was much better than I expected. Okay, so I was going in low for xpectations, but it really wasn't that bad. It has a real scorpion vibe and I think if you look at it in that context it's an okay show. They probably shouldn't have gone with MacGyver for this. If they'd called it Phoenix or something else it might be a better start. Given the information that was released I wasn't really expecting classic MacGyver and because of that I wasn't surprised. Scorpion like scorpion which compared to MacGyver had a much worse pilot, it's just a good action show.

The need to drop the black buddy. He's annoying and seemingly pointless yet you just know that before long somebody will take him hostage, and he'all get a job with the team as a result.

Also either play the original theme or come up with a completely new one, but just don't tease. That was the biggest disappointment of the show for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The guy who doesn't know what the work at.

Fair enough - he only had a few minutes air time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Joeface wrote: »

That was better than the new series!

Episode 2

So, so bad. It's only redeeming feature was that it was only 42 minutes long :o

Will it last long enough for RDA aka Grandfather to make a guest appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just torrented the first episode, yep its garbage and so bland, its like they rounded up a cast and crew of everyone that couldnt get a job on NCIS LA ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Very disappointing.

Nothing remotely like McGyver and doesn't even try.

I don't remember MacGyver deliberately killing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gave the second episode a go just to give it a fair chance and even Amy Acker guest starring couldn't save it from being sh1t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

jonon9 wrote: »
    I really don't know what to make of this

It's utter crap. Best just pretend it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭squonk

The first episode was enjoyable but that second ep was pure muck! It's like they didn't even try! Amy Ackerman had me hopeful but they didn't even use her to anywhere near the limits of her capabilities. It's like she was just there and that says it all for this ep. Everyone phoned it in. Total garbage. If this is how the show continues it won't last past Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

look her up to see what she been in she was the terrible actress from Revolution

That's where i remember her from, thanks!

Started off bad with teasing the theme tune & sadly got worse after that, when's the real thing making an appearance?

Here's the real theme tune:

Its currently on it's 6th season on CBS Action M-F, i never knew there were 7 seasons, until i looked it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't totally hate the second episode, but it was a big drop off in quality (and viewers) from the pilot.
    After a strong start on September 23, it was almost certain that the new MacGyver (1.4/6) would see someone downward movement – and it did, 18% among adults 18-49 to be precise. However, with a 17% drop in viewership to 9.09 million, the 8 PM reboot of the Reagan Era action series still snared the title of highest rated show of the night among the key demo for the second week in a row.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/macgyver-ratings-down-blue-bloods-even-exorcist-falls-cbs-wins-night-1201829595/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Technology ruined remakes. My eyes lit up this morning when I saw Mac was back.

Mr E wrote: »
    Didn't totally hate the second episode, but it was a big drop off in quality (and viewers) from the pilot.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/macgyver-ratings-down-blue-bloods-even-exorcist-falls-cbs-wins-night-1201829595/

That's still massive figures though. Can't believe we're already looking back to Ep1 with fondness. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just acquired ep 1&2 so im gonna give it a go...

Really hope they haven't ruined a childhood hero of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm surprised they haven't given him a Leatherman to be honest just really put the final nail in the 80's Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I wonder did people our age back in the 80's look at the original McGyver and think it was ****......., just like we look at this version??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I wonder did people our age back in the 80's look at the original McGyver and think it was ****......., just like we look at this version??

TV choice was limited back then so you kind of got what you were given. Main problem with the new version I think is there's too much of a team behind him supporting what he's doing, the original series had him pretty much alone sorting out his problems with the bare basics that were around him, why they couldn't have followed this basic principal is beyond me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Also, it seems to be a photocopy of pretty much every single action/adventure/crime/superhero series on air lately, aimed at a public in their late teens/early twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New Home wrote: »
    Also, it seems to be a photocopy of pretty much every single action/adventure/crime/superhero series on air lately, aimed at a public in their late teens/early twenties.

Yeah I only watched the first three episodes and gave up as thought it was very similar to Scorpion which is much better.

Anyone still watching this? I gave up after three episodes, but wonder how it developed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I actually thought its very good, better than expected. The tongue in cheek about the army knife is well done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's not bad, yerman from CSI is very annoying, and yerone the "hacker" is even more annoying, oh yeah and yerman Angus is awful annoying, but it all works for some strange reason.

After a ropey start, this has turned into a great little show. The last 3 or 4 episodes have been very entertaining.

Nice to see a version of Murdoc showing up too.

Pity about the weaker characters though. The Bruce Campbell wannabe and Bozer are both very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I like this show, I wanted to like it, but didn't like it, but its Macgyver, so I gave it a chance. It might be ridiculously cheesey but it does work.

Every episode at a couple of points I've been cheering on Billy Riggins, Macgyber himself is improving, and on episode 3 there was a marked increase in the clevage on show from hacker girl. Gotta love them focus groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Great to see Murdoc . First episode I've enjoyed really

https://youtu.be/T-eQ3A47yzk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The whole premise of the original show of one man and his Swiss Army knife has been lost, how fooking thick can the producers be to not adhere to the basics of what worked in the original, idiots.

The latest episode was a bit shark-jumpy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Mr E wrote: »
    After a ropey start, this has turned into a great little show. The last 3 or 4 episodes have been very entertaining.

Nice to see a version of Murdoc showing up too.

Pity about the weaker characters though. The Bruce Campbell wannabe and Bozer are both very annoying.

You don't need the DMV when you got the B-O-Z.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Sams squirrel

764dak wrote: »
    You don't need the DMV when you got the B-O-Z.

He's such a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,599 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky 1 has picked up and it will air on the 8th February 2017 at 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Watched the 1st episode, was ok, watched about 5 minutes is episode 2 and had to turn it off.

Too many extra characters that just don't work, too much attempted comedy that just doesn't suit a MacGyver show.

I'm going to start watching the originals again

Advertisement