Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Economical Fiesta

Options
  • 02-08-2020 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

Once again I come here looking for advice, and that's because most people on boards are knowledgeable and helpful, so where else would I go ??:pac: Anyway, enough with the bootlicking, and down to business:D

We have a 05 Fiesta, 1.25 Steel. Its in good nick, and kept serviced. But... from day one (we bought it second hand a few years ago) its been a guzzler. I suspect we bought a racing car without knowing it.

Anyway, its time to get rid, and there are three contenders : Ford Fiesta; Toyota Yaris and Nissan Micra.

Can anyone tell me which Fiesta of the many variations I've so far seen, is the "petrol guzzler" , so that I can avoid the same gaffe this time round? We're looking at up 5 year old and are settling on petrol. Diesel is definitely out for the obvious reasons, and despite many almost-convincing arguments, we're not considering electric.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,449 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What kind of driving are you doing with it? If it's all in town, start/stop driving you could be getting about half what would be the average mpg of the car.

What mpg are you getting now that you see it as a petrol guzzler?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They make Fiestas that are guzzlers?

Maybe define guzzler as maybe your expectation of your Fiesta's fuel consumption might not be accurate or realistic and any new car will come with the same expectation. I really cannot image small cars the size of a Fiesta being guzzlers unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the car in question or it is not appropriate for the usage it is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Even allowing for the difference in price, my diesel merc eclass uses less fuel than the Fiesta. And I'm comparing them reasonably accurately - they are both used interchangeably, mainly for less than ten mile single journeys ie, 20 miles return. With a mix of shorter and longer as well - but those are less frequent. (I know all about DPF, so we don't need to discuss that).

So, is there a model of Fiesta that is designed for performance and therefore likely to use more juice than other models?

M

So what mpg is it doing?

So what mpg is it doing?

absolutely no idea. As per my previous post, it would seem to be far less economical fuel wise (even, as I said above, allowing for the difference in price per litre) than the merc. that's some feat, considering the difference in engine capacity and weight. At a rough guess, I'd say I put about 50% more fuel into the Fiesta than the Merc.

Anyway, to go back to my original question, now reworded for clarity:

is there (or are there) models of fiesta that are 'performance' rather than 'economy' focused. If so, I would be trying to avoid them.

Thanks for the comments so far - I know you're trying to get clarity on the situation before making suggestions, and I'm doing my best to give that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you don't know what fuel economy you are getting then no one can say if another car will be more or less thirsty.

there's something wrong here - its not allowing me to quote a post, and previous posts are not displaying underneath where I'm typing,

so..

Del,

thanks for replying..

yes, I take your point that my question lacks certain specifics, but to make it easier for myself, I'm trying to find out if certain models of Fiesta are likely to use more fuel than others (which I suspect is the case with my one).

If the answer is, they all deliver the same mpg, then bingo! I'll stop considering that when comparing them.

Unscientifically I know, but the Fiesta required more visits to the petrol station than : the Focus1.6 Ghia that was once upon a time beside it in the garden, the VW Polo that it replaced , and most remarkably, the EClass. A mechanic told me it wasn't the most economical model, and I just left it at that.

I've just gone and looked at the Reg Cert for the car, its 1242cc, 55KW. I'm not sure if this is a sporty one or not:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Fill the fiesta to the brim,reset the odometer,drive a representative 200 km or so.
    Refill to the brim,note reading on odometer.
    So if you've done say 205 km,and used 15 litres,then your reading is 7.3 l/100 km .(if you are old school,that's 38.6 mpg).
    For fun,do it with the other car as well,then at least you're armed with data rather than a 'feeling'.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

My wife's 2006 fiesta 1.25 75 hp is around 6 l / 100 kms, 75 % road & 25 % city flanders mode driving

M

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    My wife's 2006 fiesta 1.25 75 hp is around 6 l / 100 kms, 75 % road & 25 % city flanders mode driving

39.2mpg for those of us still using old money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Fiesta petrol could likely use more or way more fuel than diesel Merc. City or rural driving.

Depends on style of driving a lot, too.

If you can't give us numbers we can't give you answers.

What mpg/ or l/100km is the Merc showing on a trip computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

39.2mpg for those of us still using old money :D
    Stick to the new money!That's 47 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiesta just has a much smaller fuel tank than the likes of say an E Class.

Boards is really acting up...

THe Merc is displaying 7.9l/100km for today, but 7.5l/100km over the last 13k miles. Must look at improving the data, more frequent reset will result in more granular results, which might put a very different complexion on it.

I'll look at doing the experiment for the mpg calculation - thanks vandriver. I suppose it'll cost at least €60 to fill it, but sure it'll be empty again soon enough:eek::D.

In other news, I found a website that shows the mpg for all variants of the Fiesta, or should I say, most recent variants. It uses published data from what is called the NEDC test. The range is astonishing, 79mpg at the economy end (Fiesta 1.0T EcoBoost Trend 95PS), right down to 50mpg (Fiesta 1.0T EcoBoost Trend 100PS).

At first I thought it was down to the number of PS's involved, but I saw a 140PS version with 61mpg claimed. Still its interesting reading. So, I wont be simply going in and asking for a Fiesta, it would seem.

NEDC is arse. Look for real mpg. Fiesta ecoboost in particular performs waaay worse in real life than on NEDC cycle.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fiesta just has a much smaller fuel tank than the likes of say an E Class.

Thanks Colm, Absolutely spot on!

However, I get around that by always putting €30 in to both. I know the Merc gets more litres for €30, but even allowing for that, I can flick back trough my receipts and see that its costing more to run the Fiesta than the Merc (as in cost of fuel, and taking the petrol v diesel prices into account).

Anyway, as you'll see from my previous post, I found a website that shows the range of mpgs that apply to the different variants of the Fiesta , and that's what I'm after. At the start of this thread, I surmised I had unintentionally bought a boy racer version, its quite nippy after all. So I idly wondered if such was possible - hence the thread.

Here's the website I found. Hopefully I'll correctly insert the link :

https://www.nextgreencar.com/mpg/make-model/ford/fiesta/

What type of driving is the fiesta doing vs the merc?

NEDC is arse. Look for real mpg. Fiesta ecoboost in particular performs waaay worse in real life than on NEDC cycle.

I'm not surprised that you say that, I'm presuming these are manufacturer provided figures are arrived at with a certain amount of optimism, shall we say.

However, its the relative values that strike me as revealing.

What type of driving is the fiesta doing vs the merc?

they're both used for pretty much the same driving. its usually a choice of which one is easiest to get out the gate on a given day. The merc is driven solely by me, my wife doesn't like it, its not a 'my merc' thing. Whereas we both drive the Fiesta. We're both fairly sedate drivers.

For any one who has looked at that site I linked earlier, I've read through it a bit more, after Colm referred to 'real mpg' , and a cursory glance shows the wildly different mpg claims are not reflected in the 'real' stats. BTW, I'm assuming the 'real' numbers are those in the box called NGC. If anyone knows differently, let me know.

edit: wrong, the real mpg is shown when an individual car is clicked. I've no idea what the NGC box means on the summary page. looks like I've a lot of clicking to do... it'll wait, I'm tireed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement