Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest question

Options
  • 01-08-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I’m not in Ireland (anymore :( ) but boards has always been brilliant with any questions, i thought i’d try this one here...and Nest knowledge in Australia is limited as well.

I have just moved into my new build and had hydronic heating installed alomg with a nest. My main living space gets a lot of winter sun so i really don’t need the heat on until around 6pm on a nice day. However the bedrooms are cooler and could do with the heating turned on earlier than what the living space is set for.

AFAIK, my heating is not zoned. Is there anything i can do other than setting the Nest at a higher temp so it kicks in earlier for the bedrooms? Which means i’d have to have the living space warmer than needed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Put a thermostatic radiator valve on living room rad. That will keep that off until that room cools. Even better would be a programmable trv.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Oh good idea thanks. I had them installed in the bedrooms but not the living room. I presume though i’ll still need to set the Nest for a degree or two higher as the room it is in is the warmest, so while that room is 21, the bedroooms are colder.

I’ll have a look for a programmable trv...i didn’t even know they existed.

Hmmm...just reading more, the rad closest to the nest is the living room one and i have read that that one should be kept open. The other rad in that space has the valve facing outwards instead of along the wall, so adding a trv would stick out a lot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Move the nest maybe.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Move the nest maybe.

Yes, maybe it could go on the other side of the wall it is currently on. Then it would be in the hallway near the cooler bedrooms. There’s no point in moving it anywhere in the living space (all open plan kitchen, living, dining). I’ll talk to the installation company and see what they think/what can be done.

Just found Nest temperature sensors...looks like that may be the solution.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nests-long-awaited-temperature-sensor-is-here-at-last/

• Advertisement

Aghhh, back to the drawing board :( just discovered that the temperature sensors aren’t compatible with the UK version of the nest. Glad i found out before i pushed confirm on the order.

Advertisement