Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland should we embrasse Bitcoin !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sure why not, We already allow MN companies Avoid tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/uk-aims-to-cash-in-as-a-world-bitcoin-capital-31080539.html

Should Ireland steal a march on the rest of Europe and encourage companies like Bitcoin to have exchanges in Ireland

Bitcoin is not a company, it's a protocol - an invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Oh, I'm really sorry to make the first reply about "embrasse" but here we are

I was waiting for that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

I'd embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Wow is it 2013 again? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dep! wrote: »
    Im embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

Lets leave the Ukrainian Hryvnia out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Im embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We should embrasse litres of beer . What's up with that?

On a serious note it would be an interesting idea, buy up some reserves on the quiet, then open the gates to the Bitcoin industry, try to become the silicon valley of Bitcoin companies, there's already a couple in Ireland anyway, and the recent regulation for digital currencies from the New York financial regulator was a bit more restrictive than many would like. It's a new industry looking for a home, what would Ireland have to lose by trying to capture it?

EDIT: Isle of Man already trying it http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-isle-of-mans-plan-become-bitcoin-fintech-paradise-2015-3?r=US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

This is "Jack and the Beanstalk" but with computers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

All other currencies of course having the double whammy of not being made up, and not being at risk of going bang any day without warning?
    All those not made up currencies that are impervious to collapse. Like the flangdoodle, and the skipablopo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Bitcoin is quite capable of embarassing itself. Doesn't need our help.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/bitcoin-deep-web-evolution-exit-scam-12-million-dollars

porsche959 wrote: »
    Bitcoin is quite capable of embarassing itself. Doesn't need our help.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/bitcoin-deep-web-evolution-exit-scam-12-million-dollars

People gave their bitcoins to an anonymous illegal drug market acting as an escrow. The anonymous illegal drug market stole them.

If you gave your euros to a junkie on O'Connell street who said he'd be right back with your product, but did a legger would you say it embarrassed the euro?

The lesson here is don't give your money to anonymous strangers, if you don't want to risk losing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

How To Embarrass A Bitcoin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

An unregulated financial system. What could go wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yeah we want some of that action. If it all goes base over apex we can get the Troica (grand bunch o'lads) back in,

What are you afraid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

alb wrote: »
    People gave their bitcoins to an anonymous illegal drug market acting as an escrow. The anonymous illegal drug market stole them.

If you gave your euros to a junkie on O'Connell street who said he'd be right back with your product, but did a legger would you say it embarrassed the euro?

The lesson here is don't give your money to anonymous strangers, if you don't want to risk losing it.

It was basically the same as ebay (with lots of feedback and reviews), only if you left your funds on the site itself were you at any real risk of loss from the site being gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ha, The highly regulated Fiat currency system works a treat does it not ..... :pac::pac::pac:

Spunge wrote: »
    It was basically the same as ebay (with lots of feedback and reviews), only if you left your funds on the site itself were you at any real risk of loss from the site being gone.

Except ebay is a non-anonymous company which means there are consequences for them if they just decide to steal all the escrowed funds, which acts as an incentive for them not to do that.

If you want to buy from a market place where you can trust neither the seller nor the market middleman itself you need a trustless escrow. The funny thing is that since bitcoin is programmable money they technically could have made transactions that can by held in escrow by the market but *only* be either paid to the seller or refunded to the client, with no possibility of the market keeping the money.

I've never used any darknet markets but I would guess that one using trustless escrow is inevitable as soon as customers understand the need for it and demand it. It may need to get a bit more user-friendly to implement too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stocking up on tulip bulbs myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i have a cool million dollars of bitcoins, will swap for a good van

kowloon wrote: »
    Stocking up on tulip bulbs myself.

ding ding ding, winner of first 'tulip' comment goes to kowloon. But don't give up, 'ponzi' and 'scam' and 'mtgox' are still up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Eircom shares are where it's at. Or rental houses. Bitcoin is too risky.

ding ding ding, winner of first 'tulip' comment goes to kowloon. But don't give up, 'ponzi' and 'scam' and 'mtgox' are still up for grabs.

Did I hit a nerve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

kowloon wrote: »
    Did I hit a nerve?

yeah you got me. Tulips. There's no comeback to that.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Not in much of a visible way at least. There's almost no bricks and mortar merchants accepting it here. I used to be hopeful about this aspect, but I no longer am, Bitcoin will have to grow first in the places it provides the most benefit, and that won't be the high-street in Ireland.

yeah you got me. Tulips. There's no comeback to that.

You seem pretty angry considering how innocuous my post was. No need to be so pissy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Bitcoin has been consistently falling in value since the bitcoin hype bubble at the end of 2013.
    It's useful for online drug deals on silk road, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not in much of a visible way at least. There's almost no bricks and mortar merchants accepting it here. I used to be hopeful about this aspect, but I no longer am, Bitcoin will have to grow first in the places it provides the most benefit, and that won't be the high-street in Ireland.

But if there's only 21m available at any time ever, how much of that is gonna be in Ireland at any given time?? Is it ever going to be cost effective for retailers to setup and use it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I'd love if more companies gave the option to pay in bitcoin.

Back when they first came about I had a chance to buy 10k of them for $10k so $1 a piece. Decided not to trust my gut and what do you think happens? They went to over $1k per bitcoin at one point.

I'd be like fkn rich bro.

But if there's only 21m available at any time ever, how much of that is gonna be in Ireland at any given time?? Is it ever going to be cost effective for retailers to setup and use it??

Hard to say how much would be here, probably less than countries that more commonly receive remittances as Bitcoin should be useful for that.

As for retailers, for bricks and mortar shops it could be as simple as just installing a wallet app on a phone or tablet for small operations or using a third party company like bitpay or coinbase as a payment processor for bigger outfits. The benefits to the retailer are that the fees will be zero or small compared to credit card fees and there'll be no fraudulent transactions. on the other hand you take time to set it up and train staff.

For online merchants there's a more convincing case, if you're already using a processor that supports bitcoin it's just a matter of turning it on - look at the quick animation on this stripe page showing how nice their bitcoin widget is and how easy it is to enable: https://stripe.com/bitcoin . Online merchants can also then accept payments from a global audience instantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Bitcoin is dead, it had its fun, now its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭KpsCowley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There's Bitcoin ATMs where I am.

I don't think it will last. It's too volatile...there's competitors trying to spring up which is against the notion of Bitcoin in the first place. If everybody could agree to use one, we could do away with currency exchange rates and even exchanges in general. It would give the US much less power too, as trades could be done without using the dollar

I reckon, it would be best if a large group of nations agreed to standardize on one. It will still breed corruption but it would at least be more secure than the current Bitcoin

For you guys that have doubts, its well worth doing reading more about Bitcoin and hopefully this will change your minds :)

Reddit is a great source of up to date information
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

KpsCowley wrote: »
    For you guys that have doubts, its well worth doing reading more about Bitcoin and hopefully this will change your minds :)

Reddit is a great source of up to date information
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin

Reddit, sure. Where do I send the cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

You seem to be a vocal proponent of Bitcoin there, KpsCowley, is that anything to do with your business page in your profile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Cen taurus wrote: »
    Bitcoin has been consistently falling in value since the bitcoin hype bubble at the end of 2013.
    It's useful for online drug deals on silk road, that's about it.
    I don't really care that the price of one particular cryptocurrency happened to soar and crash. The most valuable thing about Bitcoin and the reason to embrace it is the blockchain technology which supports it and which will be a driving force in the future global economy.

• Advertisement

Bitcoin is dead, it had its fun, now its gone.

What brought you to this conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Bitcoin is more interesting for its transaction technology than as a currency in of itself. If it allows cheaper more transparent transactions due to the blockchain and decentralized nature it could compete with visa/mastercard and possibly swift, I think that is the key to bitcoin rather than as a currency.

I still don't understand Bitcoin. If there are only 21 million Bitcoin but there are billions of people, how many fractions of a bitcoin will there have to be and what if it still isn't enough? Do you just make a new fraction and give it a name?

I'm seriously dumb when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I still don't understand Bitcoin. If there are only 21 million Bitcoin but there are billions of people, how many fractions of a bitcoin will there have to be and what if it still isn't enough? Do you just make a new fraction and give it a name?

I'm seriously dumb when it comes to this stuff.
    What if it isn't enough? It's infinitely divisible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Can you buy Bulgarian apartments with Bitcoin? That will get the Irish interested:cool:

LaVail wrote: »
    I'd love if more companies gave the option to pay in bitcoin.

Back when they first came about I had a chance to buy 10k of them for $10k so $1 a piece. Decided not to trust my gut and what do you think happens? They went to over $1k per bitcoin at one point.

I'd be like fkn rich bro.
    Except you'd have sold at $2/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Economist Milton Friedman predicting the creation of bitcoin back in 1999:

You seem to be a vocal proponent of Bitcoin there, KpsCowley, is that anything to do with your business page in your profile?

Hi Lingua, I am not promoting my business here, just trying to provide more information for people so that they can make their own minds up.

Regards,
    Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Bitcoin - perfect for all those things you want to buy but are afraid to use your credit card for. Silk Road 2.5 here we come!

I cringe every time I see Bitcoin being associated with unscrupulous activates, and it is saddening that such a beautiful technology is being used irresponsibly. Bitcoin can do a lot of good. ‘With great power comes great responsibility’.

• Advertisement
Advertisement