Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fix or buy second hand - budget 8k

Options
  • 05-08-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hey Motor enthusiast,

I currently drive a 06 Ford Focus 1.4 LX petrol. I got it 4 years ago off a "dealer" and have had numerous expensive issues with it since:
    * Check engine light was taped up, found this out when the instrument cluster failed 3 weeks outside the "dealer warranty" - a pricey grand to fix
    * Literally a month later, the engine light came on again, this time the cat converter needed replacing - Think I spent another 500 quid
    * Been looking after it well since the first year, get it serviced every year and I keep the interior and exterior nice as well. Didn't have any issues until a couple of weeks ago.
    * Was away on a trip and car lost power. Felt like clutch but also sounded like misfiring. Had a local mechanic take a look (on a Sunday! Bless, they were very good) and turns out there's water leaking in to the spark plugs (apparently common problem). Mechanic blew out all the water with a compressor (you could have a bath in the amount), sealed it up and away we went.
    * Literally halfway back home (the other side of the country) the clutch went, completely. Couldn't be without a car so brought it to my own mechanic who replaced the entire clutch. Another 400 euro.

Not sure if this is a lot of money to be spending on a 4k car I bought 4 years ago, but it feels like 6k+ is a lot.

Anyway - the NCT was due in June, and with the covid extension will be due in October. It flew through first go last year (after servicing) but I know the brakes need doing now - 250 euro.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth to put more money in to this car (even though I love it and it has served me well in many ways) or if I should look into getting a newer car, knowing the focus will become more difficult to insure as time goes on.

I don't drive a lot (less than 10k miles a year), most of it rural and short distance with the occasional long distance trip (say 4 times a year across the country) so definitely staying with a petrol.

The focus (saloon) is too big, I don't need it and I still struggle to judge how long it is when parking.

Have been keeping an eye on donedeal and carsireland and this is what I've been looking for, would love any input or suggestions:

* 2012 or newer
    * Not too pushed on mileage since I don't drive a lot, but looking at things around or below 80k miles
    * Not a citycar (Thinking Seat Mii, Citigo, Up, i10), but a nice supermini (hatchback or something of that sort)
    * Reliable, I don't want to spend as much as I have on repairs all the time
    * Similar or cheaper to tax every year compared to the focus (which is 385 for the year)
    * Cheaper or similar to ensure every year
    * Not too pushed on fuel economy, since I don't drive a lot and would happily pay a little more in fuel costs for something that's a bit of craic to drive.
    * Budget 8k, could stretch it to 9k if needs be, but it would need to be special

I'm not too experienced with cars, don't have any mechanic friends to bring and will be doing this solo (as a woman, if that matters), so I want to be as prepared as possible so I'm not getting stung (like last time)

Makes & Models that I've liked while browsing the net:
    * Ford Fiesta 2013 or newer
    * Suzuki Swift
    * Hyundai i20 / i30 (although the i30s are rare)
    * Honda Civic / Jazz (Civic would be my favourite, but they're not easy to come by it seems)

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cut your losses with the Focus. It’s only a €750-€1000 car in working condition with a test.

You say not a supermini, but that’s what Fiesta/i20/Swift/Jazz are

The next segment up (Golf/i30/Civic) will be similar to your focus in width and height but will be a small bit shorter without the longer boot.

I would recommend you avoid diesel cars altogether.

Of the cars you listed there, I’d be looking at the Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Definitely change, the 1.4 are dead....

Look at Clio or megane too. May suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cut your losses with the Focus. It’s only a €750-€1000 car in working condition with a test.

You say not a supermini, but that’s what Fiesta/i20/Swift/Jazz are

The next segment up (Golf/i30/Civic) will be similar to your focus in width and height but will be a small bit shorter without the longer boot.

I would recommend you avoid diesel cars altogether.

Thanks Colm - that's where the head was at with the focus so appreciate the input!

Yea not sure what they are called :o the Volkswagen up would be considerably smaller compared to a fiesta, though, no? That's what I meant in terms of difference.

The VW Up would be classed as a city car. Same with the likes of a Toyota Aygo. They slot in below the superminis.

The VW Up would be classed as a city car. Same with the likes of a Toyota Aygo. They slot in below the superminis.

Ahh cheers for clarifying - I'll edit my original post

• Advertisement

I suppose you should consider small crossover cars like the Nissan Juke and Renault Captur too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

You’ve had a few things go wrong but it’s hard to buy any 10 year old car and have trouble free motoring. I’d search for the newest 1.3 Covid you can find in budget if reliability is the top priority

Casati wrote: »
    You’ve had a few things go wrong but it’s hard to buy any 10 year old car and have trouble free motoring. I’d search for the newest 1.3 Covid you can find in budget if reliability is the top priority

Think Covid only came out last year. May not be in budget yet.

I suppose you should consider small crossover cars like the Nissan Juke and Renault Captur too.

I've never driven a Renault actually, any Renault. What's your take on them (Clio / Megane / Captur)

Not too gone on the Juke's looks if I'm honest, but looks aren't top priority

Oh yea, I definitely understand that - and looking back the price I paid was too good to be true, and I found out afterwards after I got the instrument cluster done that the engine light was taped off. Not sure if it was the dealer or whoever brought it to them, but looking back I could've avoided some of the costs if I hadn't been in such a rush to get a car.

This is actually the first time I'm car shopping while still having a working and legal vehicle

• Advertisement

Clios are a great car. They’re fun and come in nice colour schemes.

Captur is nice too but you’d probably struggle with your budget. If you like Jeepy things then it might suit. More bang for buck with a super mini.

I wouldn’t bother with Megane as they’re as big as your focus and are pretty much all diesels in this country.

Think Covid only came out last year. May not be in budget yet.

Haha, spell check turned my Civic into Covid’

Haha, spell check turned my Civic into Covid’

1.4 civic is as slow as the Focus and visibility is worse. I wouldn’t bother tbh

Clios are a great car. They’re fun and come in nice colour schemes.

Captur is nice too but you’d probably struggle with your budget. If you like Jeepy things then it might suit. More bang for buck with a super mini.

I wouldn’t bother with Megane as they’re as big as your focus and are pretty much all diesels in this country.

Agree with above - Megane is nice but almost all 1.5 diesels. I know you had a few things go wrong but the 1.0 Focus is a good option too

I’d run a mile from a 1.0 ecoboost. It’s literally the last petrol car in that class I’d be looking at if I was concerned by repairs.

I’d run a mile from a 1.0 ecoboost. It’s literally the last petrol car in that class I’d be looking at if I was concerned by repairs.

Good to know!

Seeing Nissan Notes literally everywhere - what's the thoughts on that one?

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them. In the right spec and colour they can look quite smart.
    I was looking at a uk one for a relative that has a 360 camera that basically gives you a birds eye view of the car and any obstacles. Don’t think it’s common on the Irish ones. Might be worth looking for.

Think it’s on the Visia spec with safety pack.

With the Notes, there seem to be a lot newer years / low mileage ones available in my budget.

Idk when I see so many of the same car it makes me think something must be wrong with the model - so I haven't looked at them at all.

This is a 2014 model with the specs you mentioned, seems almost too good to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You have put a lot of momey into the focus. Its a near worthless car now ( to anyone else ) i would absolutely spend the e250 on the brakes and just hope nothimg else comes up and you can at least get some return on your outlay over the years!

The 385 you currently pay , is cheap tax. Calculate loan interest and depreciation, you are still buying another used car...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You have put a lot of momey into the focus. Its a near worthless car now ( to anyome else ) i would absolutely spend the e250 on the brakes and just hope nothimg else comes up and you can at least get some return on your outlay over the years!

The 385 you currently pay , is cheap tax. Calculate loan interest and deoreciation, you are atill buying another used car...

Cheers dude - I'd be buying it cash though, if that changes the equation?

• Advertisement

Cheers dude - I'd be buying it cash though, if that changes the equation?

Yeah a bit , as at least there isnt another thousand on interest to land out....

This current environment, you have that cash , like the car and have invested a lot into her, keep it in my opinion. Better the devil you know...

If it was a 1k fix etc , it might be a different story. Breaks are wear and tear items...

Just bear in mind on say an 8k ca. Youll likely lose 2k depreciation year one, maybe 1.5k year 2, 1k year 3.... total cost of ownership is the bog factor. Now if you didnt like the car, thats a different matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All cars depreciate, it's a fact of life but some folks get obsessed with it. People still want/need a car. If you cannot accept depreciation as a factor of owning a car then best look at buying a push bike or leap card.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah a bit , as at least there isnt another thousand on interest to land out....

This current environment, you have that cash , like the car and have invested a lot into her, keep it in my opinion. Better the devil you know...

If it was a 1k fix etc , it might be a different story. Breaks are wear and tear items...

Juzt bear in mind on say an 8k ca. Youll likely lose 2k depreciation year one, maybe 1.5k year 2, 1k year 3.... total cost of ownership is the bog factor. Now if you didnt like the car, thats a different matter....

Totally get what you're saying - I wouldn't be putting myself in a difficult position buying an 8k car cash, but I could be in a difficult position not having a car if the focus breaks down. I forgot to mention, but it was 226k km on the clock, so based on that I don't think the brakes are the last thing that'll need doing ..

bazz26 wrote: »
    All cars depreciate, it's a fact of life but some folks get obsessed with it. People still want/need a car. If you cannot accept depreciation as a factor of owning a car then best look at buying a push bike or leap card.

Agreed bazz. My point is if someone actually likes their car and invested that amount in it. You arent getting " savings" unless you are coming from a luxobarge ... that actually would be expemsive to tax and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

2006 Focus? Not worth a chít. put it on donedeal to take away.

Get a Nissan Tiida or a Toyota Corolla or Auris.

I stand corrected, thought they were a decent petrol option - good power / economy. What issues do they give?

I stand corrected, thought they were a decent petrol option - good power / economy. What issues do they give?

They seem to have had an issue with overheating, there were also various other issues with them, the simple fact is that a small turbocharged direct injection engine has more to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

They seem to have had an issue with overheating, there were also various other issues with them, the simple fact is that a small turbocharged direct injection engine has more to go wrong.
    Heavy enough on fuel as well so not as economic as the name suggests. The 1.5 litre diesel is excellent however.

Advertisement