Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DHW heating

Options
  • 29-07-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Just moved from apartment with gas heating to a bungalow where I replaced the old oil boiler with 26kW Grant Vortex oil boiler. Installed an apt timer to the cylinder and a 2 channel controls to the boiler. The water cylinder has a Willis heater. In terms dhw heating I assumed the the cheapest way to heat water for dishes/showers/etc would be to stick the apt timer on for half an hour, cheaper electricity than oil. I asked the plumber and he told me otherwise. Is this because the whole cylinder is being heated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Just moved from apartment with gas heating to a bungalow where I replaced the old oil boiler with 26kW Grant Vortex oil boiler. Installed an apt timer to the cylinder and a 2 channel controls to the boiler. The water cylinder has a Willis heater. In terms dhw heating I assumed the the cheapest way to heat water for dishes/showers/etc would be to stick the apt timer on for half an hour, cheaper electricity than oil. I asked the plumber and he told me otherwise. Is this because the whole cylinder is being heated?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Anyone?

Electricity is the most expensive way to heat a home and DHW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

electricity costs between 13 and 19 cents per kwh depending on your supplier ,
    kerosene costs 49 cent per litre there are 10 kwh in one litre of kerosene but your boiler is only 90 percent efficient and if you allow another 10 percent for losses in pipe work that still leaves you with 8 kwh at a cost of 49 cent or 6.1 cent per kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

If only 1 or 2 people in house and just using the dual immersion (sink element) or the Willis switched on for 30 mins (timer) during the summer months gives 30 litres at 60C = 60 litres at 40C (from cold at 20C), consumes 1.4 kwh, cost 28 cents/day, would you bother with the oil/gas heating to save 10/20 cents/day??.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

So I hit the boost on the timer for the hot water for say 30min, it heats what is in the Willis heater first before starting to heat the storage tank for the remainder of the boost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

The Willis heater actually will heat the whole cylinder eventually as it takes the cold water from the bottom of the cylinder and then sends the hot water to the top, now as I am not familiar with them then I'm not sure if the water will be heated to 60C as it travels to the top of the cylinder but I would think so, so just put on your boost for 30 mins and see how hot the water is.

Advertisement