Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle lanes now mandatory again, apparently

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

"Revision No. 4: December 2013" (former link) did also contain the "must obey" imperative for listed item "Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided" (page 192, =193 of the PDF), same as currently-provided Rev 5 March 2015 document (page 191, =193 of the PDF). So while the change in the yellow-highlighted pronouncement elsewhere in the documents is indeed significant, and suggests the 2013 version was influenced by the wording of the 2012 revocation and it's 'interprative' statement and that someone then 'corrected' that so that there would be no doubt that mandatory use still applied :rolleyes:, it may be the case that the general 'must use' imperative was never completely removed from the ROTR documents...
    The first link has the old wording (mandatory only in pedestrian zones and contra-flow tracks). The second link has the "new" interpretation.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to document revision numbers or the like. The good thing about the links above is that they are independent evidence of what a document stated at a particular time, and it's clear that the ROTR changed on this point some time earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

plodder wrote: »
    The first link has the old wording (mandatory only in pedestrian zones and contra-flow tracks). The second link has the "new" interpretation.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to document revision numbers or the like. The good thing about the links above is that they are independent evidence of what a document stated at a particular time, and it's clear that the ROTR changed on this point some time earlier this year.
    Thanks, but while I agree that the wording of the yellow-highlighted text has been changed, I don't think the 2013 sentense ("Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contra flow cycle track.") made any explicit statement about the status of tracks other than contraflows and those in pedestrianised areas were. I agree that anyone reading it might surmise that othe tracks might be optional, but the point I was making is that the "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided" item elsewhere then suggests otherwise. (And just to be clear, I am strongly 'pro-revocation' - just want to get a clear idea of what the sequence of RSA ROTR docs contained :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Thanks, but while I agree that the wording of the yellow-highlighted text has been changed, I don't think the 2013 sentense ("Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contra flow cycle track.") made any explicit statement about the status of tracks other than contraflows and those in pedestrianised areas were. I agree that anyone reading it might surmise that othe tracks might be optional, but the point I was making is that the "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided" item elsewhere then suggests otherwise. (And just to be clear, I am strongly 'pro-revocation' - just want to get a clear idea of what the sequence of RSA ROTR docs contained :))
    I see what you mean now. I guess the text in the yellow box is misleading and redundant then unless the statement "Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided" is taken to be qualified by the information in the yellow box. That might make sense since the ROTR never explicitly stated the exceptions to the rule (like when turning at a junction).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

confirmation that varadkar intended to prior to, and believed had been achieved, the removal of mandatory use of cycle lanes as a result of the addendum to the law:

http://irishcycle.com/2016/07/26/minister-thanked-cyclist-in-2013-for-supporting-his-decision-to-revoke-cycle-track-mandtory-use/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Given the ambiguity that has come to light with regard to SI 332 of 2012 specifically, the Department is currently consulting with the Road Safety Authority and An Garda Síochána and has sought their views on the relevant provisions in the SI.

If the SI has already been passed by Varadkar, surely their 'views' are irrelevant unless the department is looking to change or revoke SI 332?
    the Department will have to satisfy itself that any such measures strike an appropriate balance between the views of some in the cycling community and the views of those stakeholders from a road safety perspective

This bit seems to be that the person concerned does not want the mandatory use revoked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This bit seems to be that the person concerned does not want the mandatory use revoked.

Agreed. We are talking about a Government policy commitment that has no financial obligations associated with it.

If it did have financial implications then the Department of Finance might be entitled to take a view that the policy should not be implemented at this time.

However, it seems to me that it would not be for unelected officials in the Department of Transport to attempt to dictate policy.

But that seems to be exactly what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

However, it seems to me that it would not be for unelected officials in the Department of Transport to attempt to dictate policy.

But that seems to be exactly what is going on.

Perhaps Shane Ross informally said he was willing to revisit it? This is quite a bold move if whoever is involved doesn't have some reasonable hope of bringing back some major aspect of mandatory use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

suggest twitter and email

For monument:

Thanks for the new irishcycle.com article :)

Re this bit:
    Sometime after Varadkar said he would write to the Road Safety Authority, the Rules of the Road — which the RSA edits — was changed to reflect the law change as explained in the explanatory note under SI 332 of 2012.

Do you have a copy of that version of the rules PDF? (I’ve commented previously, in posts 152 and 157, that a version linked and discussed above that had one possibly ‘Varadkar-inspired’ change also retained a blanket mandatory statement elsewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

For monument:

Thanks for the new irishcycle.com article :)

Re this bit:

Do you have a copy of that version of the rules PDF? (I’ve commented previously, in posts 152 and 157, that a version linked and discussed above that had one possibly ‘Varadkar-inspired’ change also retained a blanket mandatory statement elsewhere)

Revision No. 5: March 2015 Road Traffic Law as at 1 March 2015
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

Revision No. 4: December 2013 Road Traffic Law as at 1 March 2013.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160130071126/http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

Revision No. 3: June 2013. date source
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-books-magazines/driver-theory-test-and-rules-of-the-road-with-cd/5564989

Revision No. 2 March 2010 date source
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121049

Road Traffic Law as at 31 December 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20111215233832/http://www.rotr.ie/pdf-downloads/english/rules-of-the-road%20eng.pdf no cover or edition number

was the first rules of the road only in 2007 ? http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Your-learner-permit/Rules-of-the-road/ a year after RSA set up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Safety_Authority

draft revised version 2006 http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7604-0.pdf

Updated 'Rules of the Road' for every home
    21 March 2007
    It is the first update of the rule book since 1995.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0321/86993-roadsafety/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bump into Shane quite a bit, must pass comment to him the next time I pass him by. Once a point is reasonable, he tends to take it on board, sound ignorant or like you are unlearned in what you are referring to and he dismisses you quite quickly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I see somebody else has linked to the different copies.

Contradictory statements in the ROTR can be seen as an error or some kind of fudge.

Thanks for this

Rev 4 is the version I was referring to.

The ‘mystery version’ has is the same for the 2 elements of interest ( “Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contra flow cycle track.” but also "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided"

(Can’t view Rev 3 or 2)

Road Traffic Law as at 31 December 2009 has “A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided.” on p159 (not highlighted) as well as the "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided"

Has anyone actually seen a version that has the “Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contra flow cycle track.” WITHOUT the "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided" element?

monument wrote: »
    I see somebody else has linked to the different copies.

Contradictory statements in the ROTR can be seen as an error or some kind of fudge.
    Do you mean that the “Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contra flow cycle track.” contradicts the "must obey"..."Do cycle on cycle tracks where they are provided"? I agree that the former would suggest that only the two mentioned types are mandatory-use if that was the only statement, but it could be argued that the latter is a blanket statement that extends the imperative to all cycle tracks. Confusing but not necessarily contradictory I think (unfortunately!)?

Suggests that that someone might have begun to amend to reflect the revocation and didn't finish the job, and then they or subsequent staff reverted the amended statement. So yes, some sort of fudge and/or incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So Vardarkar intended something but didn't see it through? Sounds like tough titties right?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So Vardarkar intended something but didn't see it through? Sounds like tough titties right?

I'm not sure your question is entirely serious, but Varadkar did pass the intended legislation. The Department has now decided, four years later, that the SI is "ambiguous", but of course that literally means it contains two or more meanings, one of which happens to be consonant with what Varadkar actually announced and what the explanatory note describes. Under the cover of removing the "ambiguity", the department plans to get Ross to write a new SI to make cycle tracks compulsory again.

It has nothing to do with Varadkar not seeing it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

In this post, seamus (who I think has a legal background) says categorically that there is no ambiguity, as in law subclauses must be interpreted as complete statements; they cannot be selectively interpreted into independent subclauses (which is what the DoT is now doing).

If the legislators wanted to say you had to use a cycle track where it was provided on 'a road' as opposed to 'a road... at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided', then 'a road' would HAVE to have its own numbered subclause. They can't just slice up the sentence themselves into the bits they would like.

Now in fairness a lay person might not know that, but there are plenty of other signs of what the legislators at the time intended to accomplish and stated they had accomplished, not least:
    • Fulfilment of the commitment in the National Cycle Policy Framework 2009, Section 15.4: "We will revoke the Statutory Instrument that requires cyclists to use cycle tracks where they are provided - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Amendment Regulations, S.I. No. 274 (1998). This regulation is unsatisfactory for a number of reasons..." [That legislation already made use of cycle tracks mandatory so it would make no sense at all to revoke that clause and then immediately replace it by a new clause reinstating mandatory use.]
    • The explanatory note declaring - correctly, since you can't split clauses arbitrarily - that mandatory use had indeed been revoked.
    What the legislation currently says:

(4) A pedal cycle shall be driven on a cycle track where—

(a) a cycle track is provided on a road, a portion of a road, or an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided, or

(b) a cycle track is a contra-flow cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 059 is provided and pedal cycles shall only be driven in a contra-flow direction on such track.
    What the legislation would have to say in order to make the DoT interpretation valid (note separate numbered subclauses):

(a) a cycle track is provided on:
    (i) a road or,
    (ii) a portion of a road or,
    (iii) an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided or,

(b) a cycle track is a contra-flow cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 059 is provided and pedal cycles shall only be driven in a contra-flow direction on such track.
    The way the legislation could be laid out in order to make it more obvious - even to civil servants with an agenda and inadequate understanding of the law - that mandatory use has been revoked (even though such change is not legally necessary):

(a) a cycle track is provided on:
    - a road,
    - a portion of a road, or
    - an area
    at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided, or

Nevertheless, the next printed Rules of the Road will say that all cycle tracks must be used, and by autumn that probably will be the law for real, judging by the tone of the replies from Ross' private secretary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How many RTAs or cyclist fatalities can be attributed to the poor engineering and haphazard layout of cycle lanes in ireland? From the language used here I presume it's a lot.

How many RTAs or cyclist fatalities can be attributed to the poor engineering and haphazard layout of cycle lanes in ireland? From the language used here I presume it's a lot.

Probably hard to track down injuries but here are some examples of deaths from a previous thread on this forum.
    Cyclists killed by turning HGVs while using Irish cycle lanes/cycle tracks (this list is not exhaustive)

Maria Sonia Jimenez Martinez (Aged 28) Killed using a cycle-track at junction Malahide Road and Griffith Avenue, Dublin 28/01/2004. (According to a news report a friend of Maria Sonia's "identified her through a silver watch and ring")

Dante de Vere Padua (Aged 32) Killed using cycle-track at junction of East Wall Road and Annesley Bridge Road, Dublin 8/02/2005.

Conor Murphy (Aged 41) Killed using cycle-track at Belgard Road, Dublin, 30/05/2006

Nadia Lescuier (Aged 31) Killed using cycle-track Plassey Park Road Limerick 18/10/2006

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the problem is that data is not collected. for example, if i was dumped from an off-road cycle lane onto the road at a junction, a driver who had previously may not have paid attention to me could hit me. however, the hypothetical accident did not occur in the bike lane itself, but on the junction, and a wordy explanation of why the accident occurred would be difficult to capture in bare statistics.

Wow that's mad. Presumably blind spots played a part? Statistical anomaly that 3 of the 4 names aren't Irish?

Wow that's mad. Presumably blind spots played a part? Statistical anomaly that 3 of the 4 names aren't Irish?

I would assume that mutually conflicting expectations among road users is the main problem rather than simply blind spots.

One of those expectations would be a misplaced expectation of safety. This then leads to the question "If expectations of safety for cycle tracks are misplaced then why is somebody trying to force cyclists to use them?"

The nationality thing may not be significant we only have a snap shot of deaths from the newspapers. There may be others that would change the picture.

However (speculation) it may be that people from other countries expect cycle facilities to be safe but Irish cyclists have more common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

What difference would it make if they were foreigners? For all we know their family could be here for generations.

traprunner wrote: »
    What difference would it make if they were foreigners? For all we know their family could be here for generations.

In this case the people with names other than Murphy arrived in our country from elsewhere.

traprunner wrote: »
    Calm down, I'm just wondering if they were fresh off the boat and new to Irish roads but sure don't miss an opportunity to be offended on behalf of other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Probably hard to track down injuries but here are some examples of deaths from a previous thread on this forum.

The young lady in Blackrock from a year or two back

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/truck-driver-prayed-for-cyclist-after-fatal-collision-in-blackrock-1.1860794

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I remember the Belgard Road death. He mentioned to his wife several times that he was worried about how narrow the cycle track was and how closely he was being passed. Cement truck killed him, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The answer is very simple:
    "Cyclists must use any cycle track provided."

Don't be fooled into thinking that this is merely a clumsy edit of the old wording ("Cyclists must use any cycle track provided as part of a pedestrian street or area, or as part of a contraflow cycle track."). Don't think for a moment they just left the end of the sentence dangling and unspecified by mistake. The intention is clear. You must use any cycle track provided.

Provided where? I hear you ask.
    Provided what? I hear you ask.
    Answers are stupid things, I answer.
    Provided.
    Clear as day.
    It says it right there on the page. No further explanation or clarification required.
    Going your way? Doesn't matter.
    The track has been: Pro-vi-ded.

I'm happy to have cleared that one up to everyone's satisfaction.
    Now, as there are no further questions or confused faces, I will bid you good day!

p.s. I've only just spotted that the old version of the RotR statement is incorrect too. It says "...or as part of a contraflow cycle track.". It should say "...or as part of a contraflow lane." Otherwise you would be compelled to use things like that ridiculous uphill wrong way track on the Mobhi Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

There is nothing wrong with the first example? it goes from a shared pedestrian and cycle path to a specific cycle track then back to a shared pedestrian and cycle path. I might be missing something but it looksk ok to me.

In the second example the lane visually looks ok when comparing it to the width of the bus lane. I havent used this route by bike and probable wont to be honest.

i knew what that one was the moment i saw it.
    Roadhawk - that's a combined footpath and cycle path. there's a bus stop on it. it's ludicrous.

Incidentally, Ross' private secretary mentions a general review of the laws applying to cyclists in the autumn. There are some other mandatory issues I can imagine the RSA suggesting, but for the sake of my sanity, I'll stick to one thought: the Gardai are quite keen for "balance" to be struck on the issue of parking cars on cycle tracks, and the RSA claim that the SI forbidding parking on "mandatory" (i.e. "cars keep out" unbroken white line) cycle tracks is "ambiguous" (sound familiar?).

So we might see cyclists being made to use all cycle tracks in the name of safety, and cars being permitted to be left on all cycle tracks in the name of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »
    ...the RSA claim that the SI forbidding parking on "mandatory" (i.e. "cars keep out" unbroken white line) cycle tracks is "ambiguous" (sound familiar?).

Sheesh, when was that claim made? I know that the cycle track with an unbroken white line across the road from the Shelbourne Hotel is a de facto taxi rank now, but I thought that was just the taxi drivers doing whatever they felt like.

Fun stat: my record spot for cars parked in that short stretch of mandatory cycle track is only 4. Can you do better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

check_six wrote: »
    Sheesh, when was that claim made? I know that the cycle track with an unbroken white line across the road from the Shelbourne Hotel is a de facto taxi rank now, but I thought that was just the taxi drivers doing whatever they felt like.

http://irishcycle.com/2015/05/11/rsa-cycle-lane-advert/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

i knew what that one was the moment i saw it.
    Roadhawk - that's a combined footpath and cycle path. there's a bus stop on it. it's ludicrous.

With my best judgement i would day its a pole about 6 inches wide...just go around it?

check_six wrote: »
    I know that the cycle track with an unbroken white line across the road from the Shelbourne Hotel is a de facto taxi rank now

Same with the cycle track in front of the Hilton in Kilmainham.

Remember, if you're on a bike and being forced out into traffic, it's "balance". If you're on a bike and forced to take a route that's inconvenient or downright dangerous, it's for "safety".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Roadhawk wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the first example? it goes from a shared pedestrian and cycle path to a specific cycle track then back to a shared pedestrian and cycle path. I might be missing something but it looksk ok to me.
    No. The cycle lane ends where the white lines finish, and the shared use path begins at the sign.
    In between is ordinary footpath, and it's illegal to cycle on a footpath.
    In the second example the lane visually looks ok when comparing it to the width of the bus lane. I havent used this route by bike and probable wont to be honest.
    Thats a 2 way cycle lane, and the vegetation has grown out more since google drove by. I'd say it's about 5" wide now.

With my best judgement i would day its a pole about 6 inches wide...just go around it?
    You do know entire human beings wait at bus stops?

Ah now. You're all very fussy. The cycle lane designers do their best.

They even go beyond the call of duty in the interests of cyclists sometimes. For example, here they have built a special hillock for cyclists (the road itself is flat), just so we can burn an extra calorie as we travel along. No other apparent reason - just an unexpected gift to us!
    I bet it would never have occurred to most cyclists to design something so thoughtful. It even has a rail to make sure we don't fall off the top as we admire the view from this vantage point.

Yer man on the bike in the google map image seems to be wiping away tears of joy (or maybe just the sweat from his brow, having expended that extra calorie).

https://goo.gl/maps/BUS9cKDchMo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

No. The cycle lane ends where the white lines finish, and the shared use path begins at the sign.
    In between is ordinary footpath, and it's illegal to cycle on a footpath.

Thats a 2 way cycle lane, and the vegetation has grown out more since google drove by. I'd say it's about 5" wide now.

And worst is that this so called "cycling" lane ends at the roundabout, following the new logic crossing here towards the other cycling lane would be a death sentence.

Bus lane for me here, every week day, making it very clear that I am going straight by using hand signals and moving to the primary position on the road to avoid car drivers overtaking and take the first exit.
    Not a perfect situation and not for the faint hearted as you will need to be at a similar speed as the rest of traffic.

The other direction towards the Airport roundabout is probably worse, you need to change lane toward Santry. Many drivers ignore the 60km/h limit big time and love to race onto the bus lane where cyclist tend to be. Had some very close calls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

radia wrote: »
    The cycle lane designers do their best.

What a scary thought...

Yer man on the bike in the google map image seems to be wiping away tears of joy (or maybe just the sweat from his brow, having expended that extra calorie).

Salmoning too.

Ah now. You're all very fussy. The cycle lane designers do their best.

They even go beyond the call of duty in the interests of cyclists sometimes. For example, here they have built a special hillock for cyclists (the road itself is flat), just so we can burn an extra calorie as we travel along. No other apparent reason - just an unexpected gift to us!
    I bet it would never have occurred to most cyclists to design something so thoughtful. It even has a rail to make sure we don't fall off the top as we admire the view from this vantage point.

I knew before looking where that would be, from the description pacman.gif
    (It among the many rolleyes.png lovely features I highlighted that road in a photorant to the council planners a few years ago)

Ironically (or not as the case may be) for our cause, the cyclist in that Googlesnap is going the wrong way! :p (Don't get me started on salmon...))

ETA: By the way, does anyone else keep having to prove they're "not a robot" by ticking the new boards anti-droid box? Is it something to do with the amount of time one takes to write a post? Robots is people too :( Heck, Soylent Green is people :eek:

E[again]TA (EATA): Jeebus, those last few comments weren't there before I posted, so salmon comment redundant :o Sure I pulled up the page after the timestamps - think posts seem to get delayed on boards sometimes?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Salmoning too.
    Ironically (or not as the case may be) for our cause, the cyclist in that Googlesnap is going the wrong way! :p (Don't get me started on salmon...))

In fairness, it's such a nice feature that you can hardly blame him for crossing the road to use it. I'm sure he moved back to the other side of the road to continue his journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

but was it a civil servant who wrote the law?
    the commonsense response there would be that if only judges can say what a law actually states, it should only be judges writing the law.
    i.e. if it was my job to write law, my boss would be a bit bemused if i told him i could not decide the meaning of what i had actually written.

it's a bit absurd (not saying it's not the case) if the judge did not take the stated intent of the law into account in a courtroom - i.e. if a mistake in the law which was clearly unintended criminalises an activity, the judge is bound to punish something which by any measure was never intended to be criminalised.
    It might have been a civil servant who drafted it, but is was the Oireachtais which implemented it, and made it law, after debate and consideration. What the courts do is decide what the intention of the Oireachtais was making the law. The courts scrutinise what was actually passed, not what was in the mind of some civil servant who wrote a draft.

Advertisement