Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTD: Vintage bike parts/frames/etc

Options
  • 22-06-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

As I'm constantly kicking myself for being last to the party every time anyone here's getting rid of old bike parts, I said I'd throw up a specific post to register my interest! LOL

I am constantly restoring old bikes, predominantly racers, with the odd high nelly or vintage BMX thrown into the mix.

I am always interested in old components, frames, wheels, Shimano/Mavic/Campagnolo/Suntour/Weinmann etc, so if you're clearing out the shed/garage/attic, feel free to get in touch.

Just to clarify, this is separate to the bikes I recycle and rehome to people in need/families/charity organisations/etc. through the Rebike Community Initiative (800 bikes saved since 2014!).

Vintage bike restoration is my hobby and if anyone is ever getting rid of old usable parts (or even damaged ones that would be useful for parts), I am more than happy to pay a fair price for them.

Thanks for looking.
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have a few bits here that I'll most likely never use. I'll dig them out and see what I have.

I definitely have some sachs huret parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Couple of rear mechs in the shed, one's a Suntour I'm nearly certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Have one of these: a Campagnolo 980 rear mech. Came on my Raleigh Clubman, which I traded in for my first mountain bike. One of the great regrets of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Planet X wrote: »

Ah fe(k! I searched the planet for an SLJ a couple of months back, for a Gitane Team Pro I was building, and couldn't find one!! Typical! Went with Mavic SSC in the end, to keep the French theme.

Have a couple of Golden arrows here for Raleighs hat are mid-rebuild.

• Advertisement

Zen0 wrote: »
    Have one of these: a Campagnolo 980 rear mech. Came on my Raleigh Clubman, which I traded in for my first mountain bike. One of the great regrets of my life.

Yes, please! Have a couple of Italian thoroughbreds in the pipeline and this would do nicely for one! Pm me price?

8valve wrote: »
    Yes, please! Have a couple of Italian thoroughbreds in the pipeline and this would do nicely for one! Pm me price?

It’s hard to tell what it’s worth. A quick google suggests that asking prices on eBay range from reasonable to wildly optimistic. For vintage stuff like this, its value is what someone is prepared to pay for it. So I’ll let you have it for free, if you agree to make a donation to Merchants Quay Ireland (www.mqi.ie).

It would be good to know it will have a new life on a bike. Maybe post to a pic at some stage.

Zen0 wrote: »
    It’s hard to tell what it’s worth. A quick google suggests that asking prices on eBay range from reasonable to wildly optimistic. For vintage stuff like this, its value is what someone is prepared to pay for it. So I’ll let you have it for free, if you agree to make a donation to Merchants Quay Ireland (www.mqi.ie).

It would be good to know it will have a new life on a bike. Maybe post to a pic at some stage.

That's very generous of you.
    I'm happy to make a donation to MQI.
    I'm based in Waterford, would you be able to post?

That's very generous of you.
    I'm happy to make a donation to MQI.
    I'm based in Waterford, would you be able to post?

PM me your address and I’ll post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Maybe the wrong place to post this but here goes anyway. I was reading through the various posts and began to get a bit nostalgic.
    Anyway, sometime back in the late 70's early 80's I traded in an MKM frameset to either McQuaid Cycles in Finglas or The Rutland near Parnell Sq in Dublin.
    A really nice purplish colour, it was a deal I regret doing but I hadn't the funds to buy a new frameset and some components.
    Chances are it's long gone, but you never know, someone might have it stashed away...

• Advertisement

swarlb wrote: »
    Maybe the wrong place to post this but here goes anyway. I was reading through the various posts and began to get a bit nostalgic.
    Anyway, sometime back in the late 70's early 80's I traded in an MKM frameset to either McQuaid Cycles in Finglas or The Rutland near Parnell Sq in Dublin.
    A really nice purplish colour, it was a deal I regret doing but I hadn't the funds to buy a new frameset and some components.
    Chances are it's long gone, but you never know, someone might have it stashed away...

Maybe reach out to the gang on the Old Velos fb page?

Maybe reach out to the gang on the Old Velos fb page?

Not on FB, but I'll have a looksee... thanks.

they have a website also.

http://www.oldvelos.com/

they have a website also.

http://www.oldvelos.com/

Thanks for that, I've been involved with old cars for years, but was unaware that there was a whole subculture out there into old bikes.
    I had a quick look on youtube and there is a whole raft of people comparing 'vintage' bikes with more modern stuff.
    From a quick look around it seems that....
    Gears have gotten lower, the idea of someone with a modern bike using a 53/44 x 13/18, or even a 52/42 x 13/21 is unheard of....
    And tyres seem to have gotten a little 'fatter'

swarlb wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've been involved with old cars for years, but was unaware that there was a whole subculture out there into old bikes.
    I had a quick look on youtube and there is a whole raft of people comparing 'vintage' bikes with more modern stuff.
    From a quick look around it seems that....
    Gears have gotten lower, the idea of someone with a modern bike using a 53/44 x 13/18, or even a 52/42 x 13/21 is unheard of....
    And tyres seem to have gotten a little 'fatter'

Much the same as you won't see many Model T or single cylinder motorbikes on the road either. :D

The guy that runs old Velos is on boards Brendan Hennessy I think his name is and a sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Plenty of singles thumping around - virtually all scooters are single cyls etc.

Have never seen a Model T on the other hand :pac:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Plenty of singles thumping around - virtually all scooters are single cyls etc.

Have never seen a Model T on the other hand :pac:

True but they're in the minority as opposed to being the only option previously, also alot of the cheaper super motos are thumpers and the KTM 390 is aswell I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

We need more old bikes back on the road. Vive le steel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Don't have anything concrete to offer you OP (am not living in Ireland), but you're doing the Lord's work. I have a simplex groupset and a fork and another few bits that should be out cycling around; you have given me the impetus to finally put them up for sale and release them back into the world.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Don't have anything concrete to offer you OP (am not living in Ireland), but you're doing the Lord's work. I have a simplex groupset and a fork and another few bits that should be out cycling around; you have given me the impetus to finally put them up for sale and release them back into the world.

Keep us posted when they are up for sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

As I'm constantly kicking myself for being last to the party every time anyone here's getting rid of old bike parts, I said I'd throw up a specific post to register my interest! LOL

I am constantly restoring old bikes, predominantly racers, with the odd high nelly or vintage BMX thrown into the mix.

I am always interested in old components, frames, wheels, Shimano/Mavic/Campagnolo/Suntour/Weinmann etc, so if you're clearing out the shed/garage/attic, feel free to get in touch.

Just to clarify, this is separate to the bikes I recycle and rehome to people in need/families/charity organisations/etc. through the Rebike Community Initiative (800 bikes saved since 2014!).

Vintage bike restoration is my hobby and if anyone is ever getting rid of old usable parts (or even damaged ones that would be useful for parts), I am more than happy to pay a fair price for them.

Thanks for looking.
    P.

I have Shimano Exage 300ex groupset somewhere. 7 speed and i think the wheels are there too.
    Let me know if you are interested and I'll organise some pics

tjc28 wrote: »
    I have Shimano Exage 300ex groupset somewhere. 7 speed and i think the wheels are there too.
    Let me know if you are interested and I'll organise some pics

That's great. Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve, going to offer this to you if you're interested? please read the second and third links below, i'm not sure how fixable the damage is but i don't have the tools or skills, and the investment would not be worth it for a frame that's way too large for me anyway.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114077886&postcount=6031
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114104829&postcount=6067
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114106531&postcount=6069

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Would some Campagnolo Deltas be of any interest?
    Great condition Record Delta calipers with 3 point 'axis'.
    Record levers brand new. THese are the one that you can run the cables up pu the top old style or under the bar tape.
    BOught them for a L'eroica build but the build is not going ahead.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Would some Campagnolo Deltas be of any interest?
    Great condition Record Delta calipers with 3 point 'axis'.
    Record levers brand new. THese are the one that you can run the cables up pu the top old style or under the bar tape.
    BOught them for a L'eroica build but the build is not going ahead.

send me on some pics and I'll make sure I'm sitting down when you let me know the price :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Found these in a box of junk my brother left me to throw out. They are unused as far as i can tell, but could be 30 years old, maybe more. The big one has <48> stamped on it and the smaller one <39>. The cardboard insert says 'Shimano 600 Front Chain Wheel'.
    I can get them to Waterford with a friend if you are interested in them.

spurious wrote: »
    Found these in a box of junk my brother left me to throw out. They are unused as far as i can tell, but could be 30 years old, maybe more. The big one has <48> stamped on it and the smaller one <39>. The cardboard insert says 'Shimano 600 Front Chain Wheel'.
    I can get them to Waterford with a friend if you are interested in them.

That's fantastic! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Think i have some Campagnolo Victory brakes, derailleurs and wheels I could part with.
    Also a not very vintage 105 5500 full group set

• Registered Users Posts: 17 waterford45

I have a few bits, probably need a clean up before I photograph them, so will get that done later in the week. Certainly a Stronglight Delta Chainset, Superbe Pro band-on front derailleur, Cinelli 66-44 (I think) bars, Cinelli 1A stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

Thud wrote: »
    Think i have some Campagnolo Victory brakes, derailleurs and wheels I could part with.
    Also a not very vintage 105 5500 full group set

I could be interested in the 5500 groupset if 8valve is not.

Advertisement