Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA Premier League 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CSF wrote: »
    My point was that I would be a bit miffed having to concede victory in all the leagues I haven't won (all of which I'd have been close to the money spots in), and the non-draft one I've won with people on here would be the only one being continued outside of the FPL decree.
    Feck the fpl decree i say. We can easily finish the FSA leagues here by ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Still here guys,
    Mr Consistency, how many remain from the first FSA premier??

Still here aswell. How many years is it running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Still here aswell. How many years is it running now.

Here since the start too.

So obviously I'd not say no to a chance of staying up.

Relegated with an asterisk is pure Finn Harps though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ok folks. I had planned to go through the admin of the leagues later today.

Manual_man has proposed that the four FSA leagues be finished outside of the FPL website.

I’m not sure about this. It seems like a lot of extra work on myself and others but I’d be really interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Should we end the FSA leagues now according to FPL rules or continue with the rest of the fixtures manually?

I wouldn’t put an extra 5 minutes work on anyone.

Finish now in accordance with how FPL finished the leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I wouldn’t put an extra 5 minutes work on anyone.

Finish now in accordance with how FPL finished the leagues.

Totally agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

remoteboy wrote: »
    Totally agree with this.

Anyone relegated or near promotion will say continue, near relegation or promoted end it now and the rest won’t really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

I'm in 5th place, 3 points off the top in L1 but I'd say keep as is, even if it means I lose out on a chance of getting promoted.
    Why should it be left to an admin here to sort it out in their own time?

Manual_man has proposed that the four FSA leagues be finished outside of the FPL website.

I’m not sure about this. It seems like a lot of extra work on myself and others but I’d be really interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Should we end the FSA leagues now according to FPL rules or continue with the rest of the fixtures manually?
    I'd be happy to do the work for FSA Championship League. Honestly I don't think it'd be all that hard. Probably take 15 mins after each gw. I didn't mean to suggest extra work for admins who volunteered to run things and who's work is appreciated. If one of us in each league volunteers to run things for that league we can get things finished pretty handily.

I’m just thinking with the short turnaround between the end of this season and the start of next that will mean far less time to go through the signup process.

I think ending it now is the correct call as there’ll be more pressure on getting started with next season with maybe less than three weeks to get it all sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭claw

I put up the scores for League 2 each week. I am relegated from it as it stands now. League 2 is a special case as if you are relegated from it you are out of the leagues completely with no guarantee of getting back in.
    I have no problem with it continuing on and me working out the fixtures and results. I had the fixtures done already before the virus kicked in. Not seeing any reason why the leagues can't be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

claw wrote: »
    I put up the scores for League 2 each week. I am relegated from it as it stands now. League 2 is a special case as if you are relegated from it you are out of the leagues completely with no guarantee of getting back in.
    I have no problem with it continuing on and me working out the fixtures and results. I had the fixtures done already before the virus kicked in. Not seeing any reason why the leagues can't be finished.

But other people would be affected the exact same way with also no guarantee of getting back in, if we made our own rules and they got relegated instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I’m just thinking with the short turnaround between the end of this season and the start of next that will mean far less time to go through the signup process.

I think ending it now is the correct call as there’ll be more pressure on getting started with next season with maybe less than three weeks to get it all sorted.

I think ending it now is the way to go for that very reason.

But other people would be affected the exact same way with also no guarantee of getting back in, if we made our own rules and they got relegated instead.

What rules? FPL automatically kept playing the game on because it was programmed like that. At the start of the season we all entered the leagues on the understanding it was 38 matches long, not 30. So if you are relegated or promoted after 38 matches, that is fair enough if you played the opponents so you were supposed to in the order you were supposed to.

How professional does it look do you think that they couldn't pause the game when the virus struck? Is the same thing going to happen next season if a second wave hits? Why bother playing at all when you have no idea what is going to happen :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What rules? FPL automatically kept playing the game on because it was programmed like that. At the start of the season we all entered the leagues on the understanding it was 38 matches long, not 30. So if you are relegated or promoted after 38 matches, that is fair enough if you played the opponents so you were supposed to in the order you were supposed to.

How professional does it look do you think that they couldn't pause the game when the virus struck? Is the same thing going to happen next season if a second wave hits? Why bother playing at all when you have no idea what is going to happen :cool:

They don't need to look professional it's a free game.

You're asking questions nobody knows the answer to. Why bother doing anything ever if you don't know what will happen? Irrelevant

I completely agree with you that them declaring the leagues as being complete with a bunch of draws to finish the season was a nonsense decision, and there will be asterisks over every league win, promotion or survival. But that is what they did.

There was lots of talk in advance of FPLs confirmation of what would happen if leagues can't finish. The consensus was to follow what they decided, and that I do agree with.

You're asking questions nobody knows the answer to. Why bother doing anything ever if you don't know what will happen? Irrelevant
    It may be a free game, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a not for profit. If the game itself is making a loss on the admin (which given the limited amount of advertising I'm fairly sure it is) it is very much a loss leader.

Alright folks, I have decided that we will end the FSA leagues for this season in accordance with the FPL site.

What with the short turnaround in seasons, I think this is the best option as it means I can go head-first into the signup process as soon as the 20/21 season goes live on the FPL site.

Sorry to the people who wanted the leagues to continue but unfortunately I can't please everyone.

I will now go through the admin for each of the leagues.

I completely agree with you that them declaring the leagues as being complete with a bunch of draws to finish the season was a nonsense decision, and there will be asterisks over every league win, promotion or survival. But that is what they did.

There was lots of talk in advance of FPLs confirmation of what would happen if leagues can't finish. The consensus was to follow what they decided, and that I do agree with.

I was never asked my opinion, and i'm sure many others can say the same, so that doesn't equal consensus in my books. The right way to do things IMO would be to get as much input as possible from people involved before agreeing on how to go forward. If that happened, i didn't see it. FPL towers dropped the ball obviously, but i think it was a bit naive to be second guessing what they were going to do, and to be committing to following their lead. Finishing leagues is not hard to do outside of the site. It's super easy with regular leagues. With h2h leagues it requires a little more work, but like i said all it takes is a single person from any given league to commit to helping out. That said, i realize everyone is a bit off kilter with all the madness that has been going on in general of late, but if the will is there to get leagues concluded ourselves, i'd be more than happy to do the admin on a league or 2.

Not really irrelevant. And can you show us why you think they don't make any money off it? Do you think they will have the same number of players next season after the mess they have made of this season?

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    I was never asked my opinion, and i'm sure many others can say the same, so that doesn't equal consensus in my books. The right way to do things IMO would be to get as much input as possible from people involved before agreeing on how to go forward. If that happened, i didn't see it. FPL towers dropped the ball obviously, but i think it was a bit naive to be second guessing what they were going to do, and to be committing to following their lead. Finishing leagues is not hard to do outside of the site. It's super easy with regular leagues. With h2h leagues it requires a little more work, but like i said all it takes is a single person from any given league to commit to helping out. That said, i realize everyone is a bit off kilter with all the madness that has been going on in general of late, but if the will is there to get leagues concluded ourselves, i'd be more than happy to do the admin on a league or 2.

I reckon most people in the leagues have not looked at boards in ages and have no idea what is going on. And people who have commented are either going up, going down or happy with their lot :D

I get where you're coming from Manual_man.

The fact though that there may only be a 3-week window to get all the signup process done for next season leaves me with little choice but to end the season as it is now.

Also I don't want to be putting added pressure on people to sort this out with everything that has been happening over the last few months.

People may have other things on their plate and the last thing they might want to be doing is devoting extra time to FPL.

I get where you're coming from Manual_man.

The fact though that there may only be a 3-week window to get all the signup process done for next season leaves me with little choice but to end the season as it is now.

Also I don't want to be putting added pressure on people to sort this out with everything that has been happening over the last few months.

People may have other things on their plate and the last thing they might want to be doing is devoting extra time to FPL.

I get where you're coming from too. I just read there September 12th is set to be the start date for 20/21 season. If that's right it means 7 weeks from end of this season to start of next.

Who has ever been asked to individually post their opinion on threads on here? Everyone who is not banned can post their opinions on any topic and are accordingly. With that said, you’d never be able to admin an FPL league by democracy after this league has already started.

And nobody ever suggested that the admin side of it was not possible (although having done it for all the years before this one, I completely understand why it’s a factor for Scorpion Sting).

Rather, people’s opinions are generally (although not always) driven by their personal biases which is why it’s best that all our opinions (Myself as much as anyone) are not the drivers of a decision that has already been made within the game.

For example, I don’t know Claw personally, and I can’t say for 100% certain that this is the case, but my suspicion is that they would not be posting with the same urgency to have the league continued, if they were in 3rd place 1 point above 4.

Trying to come to a specific consensus outside of ‘we’ll follow the rules that the game sets’ is a recipe for disaster.

I get where you're coming from too. I just read there September 12th is set to be the start date for 20/21 season. If that's right it means 7 weeks from end of this season to start of next.

It all depends though on when the FPL site goes live for next season. They may not go live until near the end of August if that is the start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not really irrelevant. And can you show us why you think they don't make any money off it? Do you think they will have the same number of players next season after the mess they have made of this season?

I never said they don't profit from the game. I said it's a free game. As in free to play.

You do not pay to play this game. So in my opinion I don't think anyone has any right to complain as it's a free service. If they choose to gamble on it that is their decision.

Yes I think they'll have the same number of players if not more.

Who has ever been asked to individually post their opinion on threads on here? Everyone who is not banned can post their opinions on any topic and are accordingly. With that said, you’d never be able to admin an FPL league by democracy after this league has already started.

And nobody ever suggested that the admin side of it was not possible (although having done it for all the years before this one, I completely understand why it’s a factor for Scorpion Sting).

Rather, people’s opinions are generally (although not always) driven by their personal biases which is why it’s best that all our opinions (Myself as much as anyone) are not the drivers of a decision that has already been made within the game.

For example, I don’t know Claw personally, and I can’t say for 100% certain that this is the case, but my suspicion is that they would not be posting with the same urgency to have the league continued, if they were in 3rd place 1 point above 4.

Trying to come to a specific consensus outside of ‘we’ll follow the rules that the game sets’ is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not going to speculate either whether biases are involved or not. That's a road that goes nowhere. It's just that prior to FPL going live again, people on average weren't paying a whole load of attention to the forum. Most were just waiting for things to go live again before re-engaging. So i don't think it was a good idea to be trying to jump the gun and to make advance decisions hastily. That's my issue really. FPL's total lack of meaningful communication didn't help. But my point remains that we CAN now get things finished among ourselves, which is the fairest way to go about things IMO. No asterisks required.

I'm not going to speculate either whether biases are involved or not. That's a road that goes nowhere. It's just that prior to FPL going live again, people on average weren't paying a whole load of attention to the forum. Most were just waiting for things to go live again before re-engaging. So i don't think it was a good idea to be trying to jump the gun and to make advance decisions hastily. That's my issue really. FPL's total lack of meaningful communication didn't help. But my point remains that we CAN now get things finished among ourselves, which is the fairest way to go about things IMO. No asterisks required.

I think you’ve misunderstood me, I’m not suggesting that any decisions were actually made pre-FPL decision. Referring to it as the prevailing opinion was merely a statement in itself.

I disagree with your opinion in terms of it being the fairest option. For me, the fairest option is always following the rules consistently even when I disagree with them.

I think you’ve misunderstood me, I’m not suggesting that any decisions were actually made pre-FPL decision. Referring to it as the prevailing opinion was merely a statement in itself.

I disagree with your opinion in terms of it being the fairest option. For me, the fairest option is always following the rules consistently even when I disagree with them.
    I disagree with your assertion that FPL makes the rules when it comes to private leagues. Private league rules are decided by the people in the private leagues. FPL simply provides the platform to tabulate the data. And as i've pointed out we don't actually need them in that regard in order to conclude leagues.

• Advertisement

I never said they don't profit from the game. I said it's a free game. As in free to play.

You do not pay to play this game. So in my opinion I don't think anyone has any right to complain as it's a free service. If they choose to gamble on it that is their decision.

Yes I think they'll have the same number of players if not more.
    I really really disagree with the 2nd paragraph here. Fantasy Premier League is almost a value-added service to add to the fairly hefty sum most of us pay them every year in some shape or form. Kind of like the pretzels on a transatlantic flight, except usually way more salty.

They're not running this game and doing everything possible to attract the masses, because they really enjoy running a Fantasy website. They're eager to hook us in as customers, so we will buy Sports TV subscriptions, go to games, buy merchandise, the works. So I'd have no problem at all with people complaining about things they see as unfair, both now, and 3 minutes into the first game when someone is furious about their sometimes liberal use of the assist rule.

Advertisement