Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Reminding me of Kiev February 2014

When Ukrainians decided they had enough of putin

Thanks myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't get the two above posts sorry some of it is going over my head!

Who is thanking posts?

I don't get the two above posts

Let's just put it like this one poster dwells under a bridge and wants to see the glorious rise of the Soviet Union and Berlin wall again.

He was referring to the mass protests against the russian puppet government in Ukraine , which led to the invasion, occupation and annexation or parts of Ukraine by russian military forces

Gatling wrote: »
    Let's just put it like this one poster dwells under a bridge and wants to see the glorious rise of the Soviet Union and Berlin wall again.

He was referring to the mass protests against the russian puppet government in Ukraine , which led to the invasion, occupation and annexation or parts of Ukraine by russian military forces
    The Euromaidan. I remember.

I don't think china will bring in the army. They would lose hong kong forever.

They will wait till it dies down for five yrs. Then when its quiet they will bring in the army.

I am really reluctant to post anything on social media some of my friends family live in hong kong and mainland china. We've had conversations about not posting stuff that will draw attention them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I thought this was a great picture.

( More than very likely a coincidence, when I posted about the Uighurs a month or so ago on here, I received a Google security alert half an hour later.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hong Kong has to keep this up because the rest of the world is not coming to their rescue if they just acquiesce.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I have followed the events closely.

The HK Govt has given the power/responsibility to the local Police. Basically HK is now a Police State. When the Chief Secretary (no. 2 Official after Chief Executive) apologised in a press conference about the police inaction on 21.7 in Yuen Long, the Police went for him publicly and he had to grovel....altho the Police Force is technically under him.

This video is a TV programme made by RTHK (the equivalent of RTE) showing what happened in Yuen Long 21.7 and how Police colluded with triads (in white shirts). Subtitle is poor but skim through and you can get a feel of what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbilbAwNi0k&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2zqbmqvUzo0E1pke8SbMCCjHCalFdmMHoB_fOMPUmrjDsd4wvbPEqSIco

Unfortunately similar events took place in other parts of Hong Kong yesterday following protests/general strikes, in North Point and Tsuen Wan. Again Police were nowhere to be seen. These triads were believed to be associated with the Hokkien clan.

There is evidence that Mainland Police or military Police were amongst the local officers, including clips of "HK Police" speaking perfect mainland Mandarin and addressing his colleagues as "comrade" (not a term used in HK). That also explains the majority of them did not have numbers on uniform or warrant cards at all, and some were noticed to have footwear that did not match the HK uniform!

The Police have got out of control, especially after repeated "praises" from the top....the use of unnecessary force and huge number of (out of date!) tear gas, firing rounds od non lethal weapons directly at head level against International guidelines like ICCPR. They charge at peaceful protesters and bystanders and beat people on the head with batons with extra metal studs. (see attached photo).

I can go on and on....the Chinese Officials are their usual lying selves blaming "foreign influence" (namely US) on funding the protesters etc. They don't realise people have independent thinking despite their attempts to brain wash younger generation through "reforming" education. People have had enough and unlike the 2014 Umbrella Movement, the current revolution will not fizzle out.

China has already an army base in Hong Kong. They have never used it but its there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Also reminder that the only reason these protests turn violent is because the government has stone walled them. Their right to peaceful assembly is being erroded and collared.
    Each and every protest turned messy purely because police show up in mass and rush/trample indiscriminately.

Press, civilians, children, and protestors have been batoned and tear gassed.

This is continuing purely because the government and police are compounding it.

But lets not forget lads...throwing a flag in the river makes you the instigator justifies chinese goons beating you and your civil rights asunder. :rolleyes:

As with all major protests there will be an extreme minority who want to have a ruck with the police. The movement has had over 1.5m people on the streets yet just a couple of hundred stormed the parliament buillding. Government then try to label the entire movement and all protestors as violent extremists. Sure we saw it here with the water protests, attempts were made by media and the govt. to label all protestors as unhinged welfare layabouts.

• Advertisement

Thousands of protesters are currently carrying out peaceful sit in protests including at Hong Kong international airport they are handing out leaflets in 16 languages to arriving passengers explaining what and why they are protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

The police shot and permanently blinded a young girls eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Strange how little interest there in on Boards on these protests. I guess it does doesn't can't be included as a Left vs Right argument. Given that the protestors have defeated the extradition bill hard to know where they want to go with these protests now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are canceling flights now due to the protests. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975

I really hope this does not go the way that I think it will with China cracking down, they can't let this go no much longer. Either they ignore it and hope it peters off or there is a crack down.

Strange how little interest there in on Boards on these protests. I guess it does doesn't can't be included as a Left vs Right argument. Given that the protestors have defeated the extradition bill hard to know where they want to go with these protests now.

More interested in Epstein and the Clinton death list conspiracy theories unfortunately.

I'm sure people will be along with tell us a about the CIA in HK

They are canceling flights now due to the protests. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975

I really hope this does not go the way that I think it will with China cracking down, they can't let this go no much longer. Either they ignore it and hope it peters off or there is a crack down.

Its hard to see it going any other way now except for a crackdown by Beijing as there seems no way that the protests are just going to peter out. Lam continuing on in her position is just making things worse, she has lost all credibility now and is effectively a puppet of Beijing.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its hard to see it going any other way now except for a crackdown by Beijing as there seems no way that the protests are just going to peter out. Lam continuing on in her position is just making things worse, she has lost all credibility now and is effectively a puppet of Beijing.

Yeah unfortunately I agree with you. I am quite fearful of what is going to happen. Those people are very brave.

I wonder what a crackdown will look like. HK is a major financial hub so its hard to see them literally shutting down the who place with no one allowed out on the streets. Mind you its the Communist Party so anything is possible

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder what a crackdown will look like. HK is a major financial hub so its hard to see them literally shutting down the who place with no one allowed out on the streets. Mind you its the Communist Party so anything is possible

It's likely they will just declare marshal law and shut down communications some how , being a financial hub will complicate things for the Chinese ,but once they go the military crackdown route there will be no stopping them unless in the remote chance protests spread to the mainland which would cause them to rethink

Unfortunately red China lacks the imagination and has too much "strong man pride" to fix this without making things worse. If HK was not the kind of place it is the army would have been sent in weeks ago but it's difference may not save it for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wonder will Winnie the Poo send it the army? And I wonder if they do, will the west just stand by and let a slaughter happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's a great documentary on Netflix called Joshua: Teenager v Superpower; about a young high-school student (Joshua Wong) who started a student movement to oppose pro-Beijing 'patriotic education' in the HK school curriculum.

If you ever wondered what conviction and bravery looks like, you should watch this documentary. The kid has balls of steel. He's still only 22, but the CCP regards him as a huge threat to Chinese attempts to integrate HK with the mainland.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Wonder will Winnie the Poo send it the army? And I wonder if they do, will the west just stand by and let a slaughter happen
    We did the last time. I'm sure we will again

China getting ready for the crackdown
    “Hong Kong’s radical demonstrators have repeatedly used extremely dangerous tools to attack police officers, which already constitutes a serious violent crime, and also shows the first signs of terrorism emerging,” said Yang Guang, spokesman for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council.

Hours later, two state media outlets ran videos showing armoured personnel and troop carriers purportedly driving to Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong.

China’s state-run media today sought to ramp up the pressure.

“Black-clad mobsters have created an atmosphere of terror on the Hong Kong streets,” the official Xinhua news agency said in a commentary.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/hong-kong-leader-city-faces-path-of-no-return-4763276-Aug2019/

Im wondering when the PLA troops move in will they shut down the internet and all telecoms? Would imagine its the only way they could stop the protestors organising, especially with the flash mob protest model they've been using. They shut down the airport yesterday with short notice on social media so would think the army are going to shut down the entire internet to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This is not a peaceful protest they are storming government buildings.

Maybe they were chanting "Peaceful Protest" while smashing up the buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Maybe they were chanting "Peaceful Protest" while smashing up the buildings.

Incredible that people would take the side of the communist dictatorship in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

We did the last time. I'm sure we will again

More realistic to make a stand against China in Taiwan or North Korea.

There is an interesting live thread on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5/

Very brave teenagers indeed. Some of those arrested are 14 or 16. Very upsetting what is going to happen to them. Sad that we will have to watch people getting shot for protesting again.

There is an interesting live thread on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5/

Very brave teenagers indeed. Some of those arrested are 14 or 16. Very upsetting what is going to happen to them. Sad that we will have to watch people getting shot for protesting again.

Seen that poor girl who lost her eye yesterday , shocking stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The only way this makes a meaningful impact is if you have 5 or 6 Chinese regions in revolt simultaneously. In the end they will just use this as an excuse for tighter control further fueling inevitable conflict in the future.

• Advertisement

Live from HK airport

This could get very serious

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/live-protesters-overwhelm-police-at-hong-kong-airport-11784563

The only way this makes a meaningful impact is if you have 5 or 6 Chinese regions in revolt simultaneously. In the end they will just use this as an excuse for tighter control further fueling inevitable conflict in the future.

You don't get the difference between HK and China! It's that they are not Chinese that gives them the freedom to protest. As far as the protesters are concerned it's this or be no different to Beijing or Shenzhen.

pearcider wrote: »
    Incredible that people would take the side of the communist dictatorship in this.

They remove organs from healthy living people without anesthetic and sell them.

well hopefully they only use batons and not guns.

well hopefully they only use batons and not guns.

It will get to a stage where they will have to use guns,
    Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of protesters who are not afraid of batons ,
    As the chap from sky said there is a hardcore of protestors who are happy to go toe to toe with the police ,but they need the rest of the protesters to back them up ,
    I'd love to see the protesters grab and disarm the Chinese cops and send them out the doors

There is a thing with Chinese people. I think its cultural.They rarely go against their leaders but when they do its ALL at once. They seem to be able to have a unity in revolt that others can't manage. Its like an organized harmony. Every single person joins it and they don't back down.

Its why the chinese govt fears it so much.

Had Tiananmen square happened in Ireland it would never have lasted so long.

Its like one billion tank men turning on you at once.

They won't give in. Its cultural. It would be dishonoring. And Chinese people are just don't give up.

Saddest thing is check out the comments so many chinese people saying the screen is blank. :(

There is a thing with Chinese people. I think its cultural.They rarely go against their leaders but when they do its ALL at once.

Had Tiananmen square happened in Ireland it would never have lasted so long.

Like Russia ,like north Korea and China they have total control over their populations they will have zero issues deploying the army Against it people or disappear people en mass this causes fear ,

And according to the Chinese Tiananmen square didn't happen at all ,it's even a criminal offence to try find information about it in China ,
    Protesters in HK are getting 10 year prison sentences for just turning up at a protests it's essentially the stasi secret police on steroids

Like Russia ,like north Korea and China they have total control over their populations they will have zero issues deploying the army Against it people or disappear people en mass this causes fear ,

And according to the Chinese Tiananmen square didn't happen at all ,it's even a criminal offence to try find information about it in China ,
    Protesters in HK are getting 10 year prison sentences for just turning up at a protests it's essentially the stasi secret police on steroids

Unlike Russia. China outnumbers its army by far.

The only thing allowing control for the govt is simply lack of ability for Chinese people to communicate freely in the media and among themselves.

If they could....it would be over. No one can control a population that big.

I wish there was some way we could help them.

• Advertisement

I wish there was some way we could help them.
    Me too. Its a horrible situation to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There’s really nothing anyone in the west can do about this, so I don’t blame people for tuning it out when the next step is a violent jackbooting we can’t do anything about. China doesn’t cave to our social media complaints. NATO doesn’t “intervene” in a nuclear state. They’re for all intents and purposes, on their own. The most any of us can do is watch in relatively quiet contemplation while events unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We could stop doing business with China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We could stop doing business with China

Not likely I’m afraid.

You don't get the difference between HK and China! It's that they are not Chinese that gives them the freedom to protest. As far as the protesters are concerned it's this or be no different to Beijing or Shenzhen.

No I get that hk by law has the right to protest and mainlanders don't. What I'm saying is that law is superceded by Chinese power and the only way to break that is for a contagious revolt across multiple provinces, otherwise the Chinese government will just crush the hon Kong protesters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

These are some of the bravest men and women I have seen in my lifetime. I certainly wouldn't fancy being arrested and captured by a police force backed by such a brutal regime. It's great to see a people who will stand together like this, you would never get it in a Western country outside of France. Here when you stick your neck out against unfairness you'll soon find yourself very lonely, the spirit of rebellion has been lost in Ireland for the majority. of course we have a much better life in general so that factors into people playing it safe.

Can you imagine how strongly these lads feel about this and how bad things have to be to put their lives on the line like this. it's amazing to see and fair play to them. Unfortunately it's likely to end very badly but it's interesting that the Chinese government hasn't totally gone into total 'crush them' mode already.

• Advertisement

Makes me wonder what will happen in the crackdown if protests continue. We could be looking at mass scale prison camps full of teenagers and students locked up. Parents will get angry and there'll be some backlash to the PLA and Beijing govt if they do that. They probably will though regardless.

Anyone find the lack of involvement by the US strange? Perhaps its Trump and his America First policy but I'd have thought previous administrations would seize upon any opportunity to destabilise China and at least help to sow the seeds for a later revolution. These protests are the biggest threat to Communist Party rule in a very long time yet the US seems ambivalent.

During the airport sit in today apparently a supposed arriving passagner was attacked by protesters , which was believed to be an undercover cop wearing a I love the Hong Kong police t-shirt cop but it actually it turns out the person was employed by Chinese state media sent to Hong Kong (talking about baiting protesters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Carrie Lam today had the look of a woman that only just realized she was nothing but a puppet for Xi and the CCP and that her career is toast no matter what she does.

Unfortunately, intervention from Beijing can't be far away. Let's hope that too much blood isn't spilled. Beijing has completely screwed up any chance that the youth of HK will stand-down - they've lost the locker room to use a sporting cliche. How they handle the next few weeks may well shape China for a generation; the Chinese in diaspora and even some brave mainlanders are starting to express their concern.

I love how they condemn the protesters for being (slightly) violent after weeks being teargassed lol. I would not condemn more violence, they have nothing to lose now, the penalties and crackdown will be so bad they might as well go out fighting.

Trump tweeted saying Chinese military moving to the Hong Kong border

• Advertisement
Advertisement