Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Tri

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

January was my biggest month in the pool by far swimming 60,000m , I really want to nail this swimming thing as I find it very hard but don't like letting it beat me !
    I managed a set of 8 x 400 today coming in at 1.39 pace for each 400 taking 1 minute rest , the only thing that is somewhat concerning is the gap between my 100m repeats and 400m repeats is very small like 100's im coming in 1.35-1.36 , 200's 1.37 , 400's 1.39 , I want to get my 100's down to sub 1.30 this year but am finding that I am a bit one paced . Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

new2tri19 wrote: »
    January was my biggest month in the pool by far swimming 60,000m , I really want to nail this swimming thing as I find it very hard but don't like letting it beat me !
    I managed a set of 8 x 400 today coming in at 1.39 pace for each 400 taking 1 minute rest , the only thing that is somewhat concerning is the gap between my 100m repeats and 400m repeats is very small like 100's im coming in 1.35-1.36 , 200's 1.37 , 400's 1.39 , I want to get my 100's down to sub 1.30 this year but am finding that I am a bit one paced . Any suggestions ?

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on how to get your 100m time below 1:30, but I would ask, is it really that important? 8 x 400m at the pace you swam them more than decent, and would have you ready for any swim distance in any triathlon race.

A lot of triathletes often fall into one of the three sports after starting off in tri, and if that's what's happened with you, then best of luck in your pursuit of a faster 100m time. But if your main focus is still triathlon, then unless you want to be competitive overall, there's not much need for top end swim speed in triathlon.

Looking back over the thread, I see you swam 35 minutes in Tri an Mhí this year. I swam 26:01 that day, and I wouldn't have a hope of swimming eight 400s at 1:39/100m pace. My advice would be to invest in a good wetsuit and enter as many aquathlons as you can over the summer. You'll learn far more about swimming well in triathlon in this environment than you will in the pool.

Invest your energies in improving your cycle and run. You've already made phenomenal progress with your swim and you'll likely get much better bang for your buck by focusing on the other two sports for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Thanks for your reply , interesting I don't think I'd have a hope of swimming 26 mins for 1500 that's a brilliant time.

The reason I'm swimming so much and trying to make gains is because I find it really hard . If I take a few days away from the pool I jump in and legs feel sinky and my form is in bits . I'm thinking if I just start swimming loads I'll build up enough muscle memory that I can cut down and still he able to swim relatively decent without looking like I'm going to drown !

It's hard to explain the mental anguish swimming causes me I'll get into pool and it's a battle to keep doing a 400 I constantly want to stop , like all I want is 2-3 seconds at wall then I'm ok , it's just not coming easy for me .longer sets are hard like I've tried to do a 1k tt a few times lately but convinced myself mid effort to do something else .
    I actually think I'd be quicker doing 3*500 with 5 seconds rest than 1500 straight up , it's hard to know why.

I don't want to win races just compete and not have that fear getting into water , that fear of not been able to swim is still in the back of my mind and only starting to fade , like last year doing aquathons and a couple of triathlons I was looking around for the nearest canoe in case I needed rescuing . I have a wetsuit and have been the sea once in last couple of months but I'll be honest I sat in my car shaking for 20 mins trying to convince myself I could do it before eventually getting in , I was so nervous as I hadn't been in open water since Howth aquathons. So yeah I just want to feel like I can swim and doing 60k last month is getting me closer , I'm deliberately putting myself a bit closer to others in pool getting used to been hit with a mouthful of water as I try breathe .
    As soon as it gets a little warmer I'll be going the sea regularly going to go so much that it becomes normal that's my plan .

With bike I'm working hard on trainerroad and trying to get run volume back up , i love running could run all day and forget the rest , I'm not a talented runner but I know the basics and you get out what you put in , same with cycling , swimming is a battle for me mentally as it's something I never thought I could do and even last year 1 length was a huge achievement, but open water yeah that's another obstacle I need to immerse myself into . I'm tempted to take the drive down to Lough lene and swim there when nights get longer but I'll see , after 2020 I hope to be fully comfortable in the sea , I want to be able to put on my wetsuit without shaking and get out of my car confidently and walk into water . Time will tell.

In answer to your question of why I want to get quicker my thinking is if I can break out quickly in a race like 1:15-1:20 pace I can get on feet and hopefully stay there , my experience was starting to side last year somehow getting closed in around buoys and people swimming over me was really horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

That’s a very good post, worth a few reads, and it has something to offer everyone here.
    With the sort of dedication you are putting in, you’ll soon be in control of whatever you want to do in the water. I’ve little doubt you’ll get to 1:20 pace soon, and holding 1:30 will feel comfortable for you.

Advertisement