Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MI'll have to take a look at N64. However unless things have changed in doubt it will look right. Effects weren't emulated well. That might have changed. But the big issue is that emulators just slap a four point texture filter on art that was created for the n64s three point filter. And it always looks bad. You get really ugly stairing effects that aren't there in the original game. I'll have to see if some have taken the Doom 64 route and are filtering textures properly.

I'm pretty sure AngryLion is the most advanced LLE RDP emulation technique we've seen to date. It blows original hardware away when you allow it to upscale (a nice hybrid LLE/HLE feature set they recently enough introduced). There's talk of the VI shader being used in conjunction with Parallel & AngryLion to produce near identical results to OG hardware....just, better though, given the resolution increase.

I've seen the DF video on Doom 64, and yes the three point filtering was interesting...but it'll be a cold day in hell before I sit in front of a stock N64 again :D I'm not sure if AngryLion applies four point filtering or three point, but I'll try find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

kkk-h-ARDWARE.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    kkk-h-ARDWARE.jpg

Amen to that brother O1s1n

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's all you really have to do:
    • Disconnect the back cover and separate the outer shell pieces
    • Lift the battery out (don't bother disconnecting it)
    • Removed three screws for the inner plastic plate covering the PCB
    • Flip that inner plate forward, being careful of the ribbon cables, especially the thin one for the shoulder buttons
    • You'll then see the underside of the analogue stick - Unscrew two screws, then disconnect it's ribbon cable (this is the only ribbon cable you need to disconnect)

And that's it. just reassemble and you're good to go. You could get the above done in under 10 minutes.

That looks really excellent, I'll give it a watch. I really want to get back into the PS1. Kind of tempted to get some kind of SD card loading thingy - I'm afraid to go near the pile of 50hz PAL games in my attic :eek:
    A friend followed Joe Bleeos tutorial on fixing JoyCon but think they did something to the ribbon and made it worse.
    https://youtu.be/SDr6Kai3hIQ

So far it's games I don't know suggested that game all about the bomb in the orange, played at beers a few times. If ye think of any pass them on I think the playlist he's using to get ideas only goes to L in ps1 library or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I've been having fun going through the master system library. Sonic 1 and 2 down. Good games but a bit of removing of the rose tinted glasses had to be done. They aren't as good as I remembered them, particularly Sonic 2 which seems very rushed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was a proud owner of Sonic 2 on the Game Gear.

Equally proud to report I got past the first level maybe once due to the infuriating bouncy death ball during the first boss being nearly impossible to judge on that tiny screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Equally proud to report I got past the first level maybe once due to the infuriating bouncy death ball during the first boss being nearly impossible to judge on that tiny screen.

I got stuck there as well. It's near impossible on game gear. An absolute breeze on master system. The second level is a nightmare as well because of the unintuitive hang glider.... I figured it out finally in this play through.

The secret is not to press any buttons with just short taps of back and forwards to adjust height. That was usually what ended my game.

There's plenty of dick move levels later and chaos emeralds that are completely illogical to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

So I've been having fun going through the master system library. Sonic 1 and 2 down. Good games but a bit of removing of the rose tinted glasses had to be done. They aren't as good as I remembered them, particularly Sonic 2 which seems very rushed.

I always said it, Sonic 1 on the SMS is far more polished than Sonic 2.
    And the yuzo koshiro soundtrack is much better too.

Not sure why a lot of people prefer the 2nd game.

Doge wrote: »
    I always said it, Sonic 1 on the SMS is far more polished than Sonic 2.
    And the yuzo koshiro soundtrack is much better too.

Not sure why a lot of people prefer the 2nd game.

It doesn't run in slow motion most of the time, the lag really kills that game.

I actually prefer Sonic 2 despite agreeing it's a less polished game. Sonic 1's lag just makes it less fun to play. Saying that Sonic 2's level design and dick moves do their very best to try and make me change my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some PiTrex footage of work in progress, from Feb this year.
    Looks incredible and easily worth the money, €45, with perfect versions of Tailgunner and Asteroids already, with more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I have it too and think I passed it once, it's pretty tough.
    Chaos and Triple Trouble were much better

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Some PiTrex footage of work in progress, from Feb this year.
    Looks incredible and easily worth the money, €45, with perfect versions of Tailgunner and Asteroids already, with more to come.

That would be perfect for a lot of the Vectrex games, I know the game is on a PI, I presume it uses an emulator but I wonder would it be possible to do FPGA instead, although those early 80s games won't have any problem being emulated anyway.

dav09 wrote: »
    That would be perfect for a lot of the Vectrex games, I know the game is on a PI, I presume it uses an emulator but I wonder would it be possible to do FPGA instead, although those early 80s games won't have any problem being emulated anyway.

I think the issues are getting the Vectrex hardware to perform, such as it is limited in terms of how much it can draw before the device can't maintain Hz.
    Audio too presents a problem, at times.
    So it takes a effort.
    But then, these are being written/emulated one at a time.
    The plan is to let the community develop the emulator software to do the heavy lifting of driving the device with less need to make major to get the games to work, a PiTrex version of MAME.
    Can't wait!

Not all trump supporters paly retrogames stretched to 16:9 widescreen but show me someone that doesn't play retrogames stretched to 16:9 widescreen that isn't a trump supporter.

Not all trump supporters paly retrogames stretched to 16:9 widescreen but show me someone that doesn't play retrogames stretched to 16:9 widescreen that isn't a trump supporter.

I don't think we typically see political statements on the A&R forums, so I'll allow it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MGWA.

Make Games Wide Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got speedball 2 for the PS3, are there many other remakes of classic games?. Which remain pretty similar to the original gameplay.

I am thinking more games which were not arcade games, I have r-type dimensions but I am thinking classic amiga/st/C64/spectrum games.

I saw one of my old favourites jetpack was even done, but not on PS3

And not necessarily proper releases with much better graphics, like do guys release remakes they did themselves which might be free. I saw people remaking games for the amiga, like making a much better version of bombjack than what was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Monkey Island 30th anniversary documentary

They featured the Jet Pac remake on the RARE retrospective for the XB1, thankfully including the original as well.
    Also on there were some of the best N64 titles, albeit with improved controls, particularly for Jet Force Gemini.
    Blastcorps still stands out as a brilliant game, a real missed opportunity not bringing it to the 3DS or Switch somehow, I think it would work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Kind of interested in this new one from analogue. FPGA of course, worth keeping an eye on.
    https://www.analogue.co/duo/

xRvjwtm.png

hDieo0k.png

• Advertisement

That is absolutely gorgeous.

I'll probably plonk money down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That is absolutely gorgeous.

I'll probably plonk money down on it.

It's also fairly reasonable priced at $199 if the quality is up to there normal standards. I don't see them making a load of them though, its not a NES/SNES/MD so wont have that immediate wide market appeal.

Anyway, they'll sell as many as they can make as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nice to see the Pocket is getting an adaptor as well for the PCE/SGX stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Lovely piece of kit, although I’m get a bit tired of their inaccurate fgpa is not emulation marketing bullsh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Dangerous bringing politics into this forum, I have seen peaceful places become toxic over night with that kind of talk. Back to gaming that PC-engine CD system sure has style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I’m get a bit tired of their inaccurate fgpa is not emulation marketing bullsh1te

Yeah it's deceptive isn't it ? It really depends how the original chips are translated into an fpga ?
    If decapping is done and the chip is indeed studied that way then you could argue it's as close to a 1 to 1 hardware reproduction but from what I understand, for, say, a lot of the mister fpga stuff going around that work hasn't been done.

A lot of it was done by studying the chip behaviour and this work has already been done with mame so a lot of these fpga cores are essentially emulation and not hardware repro.
    I find a lot of fpga is really hit and miss with what it claims to be and in fact a lot of it is just emulation ported to yet another medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The one place I can think where FPGA based emulation/simulation will have a clear cut advantage is timing.

It's so hard to get timing right in even a simple emulator. Even if you proclaim your emulator to be cycle accurate, there's more to it than that when it comes to stepping a CPU and PPU (in the example of a NES emulator, which is a hobby of mine right now).

With FPGAs, you can have clocks that drive the different components and have them interact with each other in a "real" way, but of course, you need to actually make sure that you cater for all the quirks of the hardware once you've done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

and having things run in parallel as opposed to serial emulation . Not to mention size. There's clear advantages to fpga but a lot of its implementation is emulation still . Mind you there's nothing wrong with emulation either but there's a level of dishonesty with it going around.

Especially when it comes to claiming to be preserving the hardware logic: Unless you distribute the source openly, you're preserving F-all really , you've just created more proprietary code :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lovely piece of kit, although I’m get a bit tired of their inaccurate fgpa is not emulation marketing bullsh1te

The truth doesn't have that same ring to it though..."NO EMULATION....except for the bits & pieces we learned from our collaborations with Byuu."
    The one place I can think where FPGA based emulation/simulation will have a clear cut advantage is timing.

It's so hard to get timing right in even a simple emulator. Even if you proclaim your emulator to be cycle accurate, there's more to it than that when it comes to stepping a CPU and PPU (in the example of a NES emulator, which is a hobby of mine right now).

Indeed. Accurate emulation is very, very, very difficult to achieve. Thankfully we've had a few decades now of extremely talented coders who've brought emulation to where it is. It's still improving all the time, and is in seriously good hands with the people that are driving it.

The timing/sync issues you mention are valid concerns. They've been solved on any perceptible level though...ie, place three identical modern tv's beside each other, and have a something like a real Snes, an FPGA replica, and x86 hardware using a modern emulation solution....anyone claiming to be able to tell the difference between them will likely be talking crap/guessing.

I'm not on here harking on about emulation because I can't afford to collect original hardware. I've spent thousands on original hardware over the years...and paired with a crt, it will and likely always will be king of the hill. My fondness for emulation is because of how damn close it is these days, with modern tv's. Shaders, run-ahead, and unified controls mean with the right frontend....it's seriously convenient, cost effective, and space saving. Again, for 16bit and below...emulation is perceptibly identical in terms of actually playing games, so for me it doesn't matter exactly how the emulator in use arrived at its 1's and 0's....as long as the game plays, looks, and sounds right...then it is right. Heck even original hardware has differences from revision to revision (MegaDrive and MegaDrive II for example.)

When it comes to more modern consoles like GameCube, Wii, and so forth...I pretty much prefer emulation over the originals because of the ability to upscale 3d resolutions. Yes the compatibility isn't 100%, but for my use case, 90%+ will do just fine.

Everything has a place, original hardware, emulation, and fpga. The whole idea is people play & enjoy the games. There's still a saddening amount of toffee-nose ignorance aimed at those who don't enjoy their games using original hardware, using a crt tv, and an rgb scart cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh wow, genuinely the first one of their releases I'd be really interested in. I've no way of playing PCE CD games at all, should really have bought one of those refurbished Duo Rs years ago when everyone here was jumping on them.

Price almost seems too good to be true for these dudes too.

Anyone get that Limited Run Games newsletter? Looks like they're releasing a version of Darius for the Megadrive called 'Darius EXTRA VERSION' - might be worth keeping an eye on.

Advertisement