Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GSM Line Fault HKC

Options
  • 09-08-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HKC alarm installed with SecureCom app etc, paying monthly to HKC. About 15 mins ago I got a GSM Line Fault, alarm started beeping and app won't connect. Just wondering if anybody could offer any tips, before I contact my installer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Ok so I'm guessing the signal dropped for a short time, but the red/amber lights are no longer flashing, suggesting the fault has cleared?

However I still can't access the alarm through the Securecomm app. Maybe it just needs some time to reconnect?

All good now. I'm guessing signal dropped momentarily, and once it came back it took a little while for the unit to communicate with HKC servers, for the app to start working again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you get a notification on the phone network down?:eek:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Did you get a notification on the phone network down?:eek:

No. I'm guessing it might have eventually when the system was polled, but as I heard the beeping I had the fault cleared within about 30 seconds. According to the log it was down for about 8 minutes.

Just went again...hopefully just a mast problem in the area and not an issue with my install specifically! On a side note, I think I actually did get a notification but my phone was on silent.

• Advertisement

It appears Three are having problems with data throughout the country tonight...possibly to do with that. I don't know what network the sim defaults to?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They should be international SIMs that roam on any network.
    We have lots of apps & monitoring on GSM/GPRS havn't heard of anything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

It appears Three are having problems with data throughout the country tonight...possibly to do with that. I don't know what network the sim defaults to?

Hey Sponge, any more faults since then? I’ve had about 6 since the 10th, just had one now. In Dublin.

van_beano wrote: »
    Hey Sponge, any more faults since then? I’ve had about 6 since the 10th, just had one now. In Dublin.

Yep, 5 or 6 since Thursday. Spoke to installer today and he's had reports from a good few customers. He was to contact HKC.

Yep, 5 or 6 since Thursday. Spoke to installer today and he's had reports from a good few customers. He was to contact HKC.

I forwarded the log to my installer today, I’d say he’s gotten a few calls the same. There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

Is it possible to stop it beeping and talking to me if it goes down in the early hours? Went down at 2am this morn, kids and everyone up, thinking it was a drill!

• Advertisement

There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

Yeah I noticed approx. 7.5 minutes between each drop.
    Is it possible to stop it beeping and talking to me if it goes down in the early hours? Went down at 2am this morn, kids and everyone up, thinking it was a drill!

I believe so. At least my installer mentioned it could be done if it becomes an issue.

I forwarded the log to my installer today, I’d say he’s gotten a few calls the same. There’s about 8 min intervals before it rectifies itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Mine first started beeping today and also again just now. 'GSM line fault' D15 area. Can't connect via my phone app.

Sorry for the double posting.
    manster wrote: »
    Mine first started beeping today and also again just now. 'GSM line fault' D15 area. Can't connect via my phone app.

They last between 7 & 8 minutes, Manster, then the fault clears itself, communication between the app and alarm would be down during the fault. You’ll have to go to the control panel to manually enter the code if you want to quiten the alert if it goes off in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Had the fault this morning. Reset by keying in alarm code. Second time it's happened in a week. Had the alarm two years and up until this had no trouble.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Had the fault this morning. Reset by keying in alarm code. Second time it's happened in a week. Had the alarm two years and up until this had no trouble.

Same here, at 6:05am to about 6:13am. It's happened about 8 times since August 10th

Is this the comms for the app going down altogether lads?

Is this the comms for the app going down altogether lads?

Yeah it won't connect when you go into the app. Just times out

Very disappointing for it to be happening so often , especially on a paid for service.
    Seems a lot more commonplace since they were sold to Abloy. Probably unrelated but concerning all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Happened once again for me. Very annoying. Spoke to my old installer (no longer registered) who had already spoken with HKC. This is supposedly a recent fault that affects panels that have not got the latest version. The newer panels do not report the issue. His advice was to wait it out as HKC are on the the network companies to find a fix. He showed me how to turn off the notifications (beeps) when there is a GSM line fault. Also recommended to get the alarm serviced and ask the installer that the latest software is to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Another one here experiencing this problem, alarm is 2 years old and started on Sunday, has happened 3 times this week the latest one was last night, very frustrating to say the least.

My installer said it’s to do with the 3 Network and they are aware of it but that’s not much good to me if it’s going to keep happening.

Sono wrote: »

My installer said it’s to do with the 3 Network and they are aware of it but that’s not much good to me if it’s going to keep happening.

All these systems should be using international sim cards. So issues with one network should not affect it. Also, most systems we use would use IP and GPRS so a mobile network should only be relevant if there was an issue with your broadband also.
    Judging by how widespread this appears to be it would be be more likely the issue is with Securecom rather than anyone's connection or any individual network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Its the sims on the network itself.
    The sims are deregistering from the network and then reconnecting.
    Securecomm hasn't gone down since it was first started up so scaremongering helps nobody.
    The sim providers are looking into the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Also having the same issue, surprised it wasn't just our alarm

Does anyone having these issues not have WiFi also connected?
    A system using GSM and WiFi would make more sense.

Does anyone having these issues not have WiFi also connected?
    A system using GSM and WiFi would make more sense.

I don't have it connected to WiFi.

Strange. Most apps on alarms have the options for both. This would eliminate these network problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I don't have it connected to WiFi.

Must be an older GSM you have installed as the newer GSM is a dual card.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Must be an older GSM you have installed as the newer GSM is a dual card.

Got it put in oven two years ago.

Advertisement