Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 King George

• 11-12-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Ladbrokes King George VI Chase

3.05 Kempton, December 26
    Key trends
    % Eight or more chase runs, nine winners in last ten runnings
    % Aged between six and nine, 9/10
    % Top-three finish last time out, 9/10
    % Adjusted RPR of at least 177, 8/10
    % Won a Grade 1 chase, 8/10
    % Won a Graded chase between 2m4f and 2m6f, 8/10
    % Rated within 6lb of RPR top-rated, 7/10 (three top)
    % Won a chase over at least 3m, 7/10
    % Won at least 40 per cent of chase starts, 7/10
    Other factors
    Five winners had run in the race before.
    Racing Post Ratings (top ten)

Altior 183
    Cyrname 181
    Min 180
    Lostintranslation 177
    Bristol De Mai 176
    Clan Des Obeaux 175
    Aso 171
    Thistlecrack 171
    Road To Respect 170
    Monalee 167
    Compiled by Steve Mason
    Topspeed (top ten)

Bristol De Mai 174
    Altior 173
    Min 172
    Aso 171
    Clan Des Obeaux 171
    Duc De Genievres 169
    Road To Respect 169
    Thistlecrack 169
    Monalee 167
    Cyrname 161

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Colin Tizzard has thrown his full support behind Lostintranslation's bid for Ladbrokes King George VI Chase glory, saying his nascent stable star has all the right attributes for Kempton's winter highlight.

Tizzard was speaking to the media at his Dorset yard on a miserable Tuesday morning, but he was upbeat when discussing the chances of the impressive Betfair Chase winner, the sponsor's joint-favourite with Cyrname at 9-4.

The trainer also raised the intriguing possibility of fielding another candidate at Kempton on December 26 with last year's Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Native River a shock supplementary option if conditions are testing, while Thistlecrack – the King George winner in 2016 – is still in contention for one of the sport's most prestigious prizes.

Lostintranslation, however, is the trainer's main contender at the moment, and by some way.

Tizzard, who also captured the 2015 King George with his breakthrough horse Cue Card, said of the seven-year-old: "He's probably more unknown still compared to those two.

"Thistlecrack went there as a World Hurdle winner, while Cue Card had a few goes in it before he won. It is a furious race and they will go flat out – they normally do – and a stayer wins it.

"Lostintranslation beat Defi Du Seuil over two and a half miles last year, so he's got the pace and his stamina is pretty much guaranteed now. He's got everything going for him.

"I'm sure Cyrname will go flat out, which I think will help us. Lostintranslation is not a slow horse and we know he stays."

Tizzard doubts he will run three in the £250,000 contest and added: "Lostintranslation has got the best chance – there's no doubt. He's the young horse going forward and has everything.

"Bristol De Mai is a Haydock horse and might not have been at his best in the Betfair Chase, but we outstayed him and ours pricked his ears halfway up the run-in. He showed us he can stay. At home he looks all over a big, three-mile chaser, but he's got pace – he could lay up with Defi Du Seuil all last season."

Turning his attention to the opposition, Tizzard added: "Cyrname is a very fast horse. If he can go flat out and still win a King George he's a megastar, and don't forget Altior if he turns up. This is a huge race and we just want to make sure we've got ours right."

It would cost Native River's owners Garth and Anne Broom £10,000 to add their chestnut – a 16-1 shot with Ladbrokes – to the King George line-up.

The nine-year-old won his first race since his Gold Cup triumph under Richard Johnson at Aintree on Saturday, and Tizzard said: "We've not totally ruled out supplementing Native River if it got really wet and was set up to be run flat out for a stayer to take it at the end.

"Richard rang me yesterday and wanted to have a chat. It's the first time he's ever called me, so there's something to be said for it!

"He thinks Native River felt as good as he did two years ago. We haven't put anything to bed – it's just something that has come up in the last 48 hours. We're not sure and want our best route to the Gold Cup.

"He went to the Denman Chase at Newbury and then the Gold Cup a few years ago. He could go to the Grand National if we didn't do the Welsh National, which is a gruelling race off top weight, but that's the sort of race he's suited to.

"He still showed his old spark, even if you have to ask for it a bit. We couldn't have dreamed for any more at Aintree and he's come out of it well. We've just got to make sure he's in the right races until Cheltenham, so won't rule anything in or out.

"It would have to be heavy, which is unlikely, but we're in a different year this year and it's more like normal English weather, and if it rains every day for the next two weeks there's a chance he could be supplemented.

"I don't want to put people away and he might even go to the Welsh National, but we're keeping our options open – it's not a straightforward decision."

Thistlecrack, a general 16-1 for the King George, was second to staying king Paisley Park in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury this month and could remain over hurdles for Ascot’s Marsh Hurdle if he bypasses Kempton.

Tizzard said: "It was a lovely run at Newbury and he could go to the King George, but he could also stay hurdling. It's 50-50 and he's a delicate horse; do we really want to run him in a ferocious King George, or do we turn up for Ascot?"

The best I've had since Kauto - Paul Nicholls hails King George hope Cyrname

Paul Nicholls believes leading Ladbrokes King George hope Cyrname is the best horse he has trained since the great Kauto Star – and has described the gallop that made him realise it.

In an interview with Sunday's Racing Post, Nicholls said: "I saw Cyrname work round Wincanton a month ago and I'd never seen anything like it – he was awesome. I thought, 'My God, he's the best I've had since Kauto'."

Nicholls also compared Cyrname to Kauto Star in terms of the versatility that he believes could see him win big races over all manner of distances over the next few seasons.

The champion trainer added: "He'd probably win a Clarence House or a Tingle Creek if the ground was very, very testing. He's got the speed to win over two miles on a stiff track or soft ground, but then Kauto won over two and still won two Gold Cups.

"I think as he becomes more relaxed he'll stay further and get three miles really well, but we're not in a hurry to go to the Gold Cup and run him into the ground. He could go there at nine or ten, but at the moment I see Lostintranslation as a Gold Cup winner waiting to happen – and don't forget, it's not all about the Gold Cup.

"There are some amazing races to be won with him, and if we mind him he could end up like Kauto, as good at 11 and 12 as he was at seven and eight."

Nicholls also has last year's King George winner Clan Des Obeaux for the Boxing Day spectacular, but the Ditcheat master knows which one he'd be riding.

"Harry [Cobden]'s got to make a big decision," he said. "He wants to think about it and I don't need him to decide now. I won't push Harry one way or another, but if I could lose a few pounds and ride one of them myself I'd just prefer Cyrname. I'd say we know Clan's level, which is pretty high, but Cyrname may still have more to come and he could be special."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

this may sound odd but i was more impressed with the way Lost went by Bristol than Cyrnames dethroning of Altior. Both horses only really had to beat one horse but Cyrname, as well as he did, didnt have to hold off a stayer and has been caught before by terrefort. After years of always backing nicholls or henderson horses for my fav race of the year, I'm taking Tizzard this year. Robbie actually said he went too soon last time he seems to be getting to know the horse, Cyrname can only do one thing he's a great jumper typically despite a mistake last time, he is gonna make it a good test but I would rather be on the one that can take aim at him and not the front runner who just goes like a bull. Cyrname is tough, Lost has a bit of class tho.

I really hope he doesn't put Native River in drives me nuts when the trainer has more than one in unless I fancy the 2nd string. If he is supplemented I will feel I have to back both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

lostintranslation to be the first since the great kauto star to do the treble. he picks up cyrename between the last 2 fences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I badly hope Lostintranslation bursts the bubble of Cyrname as i’m sick of the trainer’s comments on him and it’s a horse i have never taken to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

People are totally focused on the front 2 they are totally ignoring some very decent types

Clan won the thing last year! Huge chance
    Personally think a fit and ready Footpad has a huge chance at a big price
    And...what a story if Altior finds he needed the run LTO and blitzes them! This is Altior lets remember!
    (prob won't run now lol)
    Also, BDM is always a contender. Still a young horse and far too easily dismissed

I am not saying one of the 2 won't win, I am just saying it's not a 2 horse race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

People are totally focused on the front 2 they are totally ignoring some very decent types

Clan won the thing last year! Huge chance
    Personally think a fit and ready Footpad has a huge chance at a big price
    And...what a story if Altior finds he needed the run LTO and blitzes them! This is Altior lets remember!
    (prob won't run now lol)
    Also, BDM is always a contender. Still a young horse and far too easily dismissed

I am not saying one of the 2 won't win, I am just saying it's not a 2 horse race

Big time. There's a horse called Thistlecrack in there too that I just refuse to discount.

Big time. There's a horse called Thistlecrack in there too that I just refuse to discount.

I love thistlecrack but i see him as a staying hurdler this year

as does tizzard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Riquelme

I'd say Tizzard would have nearly put him over hurdles last year were it not for such a good showing at last years King George. Thistlecrack went well inside odds on in play for that race. I do feel though they'll keep him over hurdles. Tizzard has a plentiful supply of chasers this year so no need to run Thistlecrack here.

I'd like to see Road to Respect make the trip over. He was very impressive in his last outing. I have to keep faith in LIT though and I feel this should be ideal for him. Altior to be retargeted for the three in a row within 5 minutes of the race finishing.

• Advertisement

i remember like it was yesterday the year kauto star won his 5th (i know, ridiculous) . what a race that was, with long run chasing him all the way up the run in . what a horse he was .

Altior "very unlikely to run" according to Nicky

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

TheTorment wrote: »
    Altior "very unlikely to run" according to Nicky

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/1205839402540437504?s=20

The interview if anyone is interested.

A shame but the correct decision surely. I am a little worried though, he was obviously wrecked after the race, that was very clear to be seen but it appears it has taken a lot out of him. Hope there are some mind games being played.

Allow me to go all GOAT here lads...

Footpad will win the King George

You heard it here first!!
    (not sure who will be in him tho!)

Allow me to go all GOAT here lads...

Footpad will win the King George

You heard it here first!!
    (not sure who will be in him tho!)

nobody hopefully

No jockey knows what it takes to win the King George VI Chase quite like Ruby Walsh, whose association with Paul Nicholls has made him the most successful jockey in the history of the race, and he is convinced Cyrname will come out on top at Kempton next week.

Nicholls' jockey Harry Cobden has to choose between the best of the formidable talent stabled at Ditcheat in the form of last season's winner Clan Des Obeaux and Altior's conqueror Cyrname. But Walsh, who won the King George five times aboard the legendary Kauto Star and is no stranger to the difficult choices that come when stable jockey to the Nicholls yard, believes it is a no-brainer for Cobden to ride Cyrname in the Ladbrokes-sponsored showpiece on Boxing Day.

"I can see exactly what Harry Cobden is doing – why would he commit to one in case something was to happen to the other? Harry doesn't have to play his cards yet and I'd be doing the exact same thing if I was him. I'd say nothing until I had to," Walsh said.

"On current form, when it comes down between Cyrname and Clan Des Obeaux, there's no call to make. For me, the choice in the King George is between Cyrname and Lostintranslation."

But while Walsh, who rode 59 Cheltenham Festival winners and was faced with a number of high profile options over a career that spanned three decades, believes Britain's highest-rated chaser is the most likely winner of the December 26 showpiece – he would rather partner Lostintranslation in the Magners Gold Cup next March if offered the choice.

"I'd stick with Cyrname, just because of the pace he has and the way that he travels, I'd be for him. But for the Gold Cup, I'd be jumping ship and siding with Lostintranslation," he added.

Walsh, who is an ambassador for Paddy Power and was speaking at a media event organised by the firm in the Boar’s Head pub in Dublin where the betting company's new podcast ‘From The Horse’s Mouth’ was launched, said Willie Mullins could be represented by 2018 Arkle winner Footpad.

"Footpad was good at Thurles and I think the intention is to run. The Footpad who won the Arkle would have a super chance in the King George but, he won at Thurles, and it's hard to compare that form to a King George," he said.

"But he showed his health and his wellbeing that day and I don't think the trip would be any trouble to him. He's a big runner and he's a great price each-way."

Walsh still plays an integral role in Mullins’ operation and was recently spotted putting Leopardstown-bound Chacun Pour Soi through his paces at Punchestown last week.

Providing an update on the Susannah Ricci-owned chaser, who is in line to make his seasonal return in the Paddy Power-sponsored Grade 1 chase over two miles on December 27, Walsh said: "He gave me a great feel – he's a lovely horse."

Asked if the seven-year-old could be the real deal, Walsh responded: "He could be,” before revealing he has no desire to return to race riding.

“No, the itch isn't there – the itch is well scratched. When we were at Punchestown last week, I was heading out on Chacun Pour Soi, and Willie said, 'are we allowed to jump?' I said, 'I don't care, if we're jumping I won't be riding it.'”

Walsh added: “He's probably one of the most exciting horses in training but those days are over for me. I'd ride him on the Flat alright, but there's enough young lads there to get hurt. I loved and I enjoyed it but I was ready for something else.”

Walsh also provided updates on two other Mullins-trained superstars, Laurina and Faugheen.

The former could clash with Joseph O'Brien's exciting Fakir D'Oudairies in the Grade 1 Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown and Walsh said: "Leopardstown will suit Laurina. There's only two fences inside the last five furlongs and that will suit her.

"She's a very good jumper but jumping is Fakir D'Oudairies' greatest strength. He could poach a lot of ground down the back straight with the way he jumps. If there's any rain at Leopardstown that would also suit Laurina. It should be a great race."

Faugheen holds entries at Limerick and Leopardstown over the Christmas period and Walsh added: "He's in really good order at home. He's a former Champion Hurdle winner and he hasn't a whole lot of miles on the clock. I know John Codd [groom] is very happy with him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I'd say Kauto Star knew more about winning King George's than Ruby. He's just puffing for his old trainer buddy and helping his sponsor paddypower to get people betting on the race.

Just because Cyrname wasnt caught by Altior who was running over a new trip first time out doesn't mean he can't get caught by Lostintranslation the same way Bristol de mai was. Considering Cyrname had been caught by terrefort before a Henderson horse that wouldn't be exactly in Altiors class.

But who knows. I dont think Clan is a lost cause either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Thistlecrack runs.

Thistlecrack runs.

delighted

has a place chance . ive a real soft spot for him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

I have fancied Clan Des Obeaux for the King George for some time. That Ascot race has to leave a mark on Cyrname just as it appears to have on Altior whereas Clan will come into the race fresh as a daisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thistlecrack doesn’t win he’s had his day. If he does win then it’s a shocking King George

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Thistlecrack doesn’t win he’s had his day. If he does win then it’s a shocking King George

Well he came to within a length of winning last year and that wasn’t a bad king George by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Footpad the value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thistlecrack's last hurrah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would not be convinced Cyrname stays, he looks too flashy a jumper for a stayer.

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/king-george-vi-chase-/winner

I am definitely backing Thistlecrack at 16/1, it will be great craic roaring at the box with a turkey and ham sambo in one hand and a black pint in the other.

I think Clan de Obeaux is being massively overlooked. I just hope he gets ignored and there is a bigger drift on his price.

The Footpad price is wrong considering he was poor last year and could potentially bounce. His sire was placed in an Irish Guineas, I am not sure if he is staying chaser either... The race he won at Thurles was a phucking joke, no other horse tried a yard and you can argue he bet nothing. Throw in the fact that the Munir's are looking for a runner and I think it has no chance. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If Cryname wins this I'll stand outside the GPO naked on the 27th

Mixed feelings about Thistlecrack running tbh. In one sense he deserves another shot given that he was well under odds on in running last year and the the year he won it was one of the more eye catching performance of the decade. However I feel he could have one big race left in him over hurdles. His jumping over fences last season was fairly horrid and it was his heart and engine that got him close in races. That was heartbreaking to see compared to the mighty jumping he did as a novice. However he does have an outside chance. I would agree with the verdict on Cyrname, I cannot see him staying. I fancied him against Altior but I just cannot see how he doesn't get marked handily by Lostintranslation and left for muck in the run in. I like Clan Des Obeaux too but his price isn't attractive currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Slattsy wrote: »

Is this a sonofgoat esque post, if not I’ll be cheering Curran’s on and will be bring the family shopping in O’Connell st that day :)

• Advertisement

Is this a sonofgoat esque post, if not I’ll be cheering Curran’s on and will be bring the family shopping in O’Connell st that day :)

Odd that you want your family to see my penis. But sure whatever yer inta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Odd that you want your family to see my penis. But sure whatever yer inta!

Want them to see how lucky they are :)

Dangerous stuff, I mean lets hope he falls at the first. Anyone going bollick naked on the day after Christmas deserves it. Fingers crossed Slattsy, it sounds cold , your balls will be like a walnut , it is not where you want to be on Christmas week...….. Just saying. Dirty protests can get discombobulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭piplip87

Barry Geraghty to ride Footpad in the King George. Still reckon he wins it.

Prediction: The Cyrname bubble to be well and truly burst. Won't be in the first 3, might even be pulled up to save face. Reckon P. Nicholls has considered this. Hopefully Harry completes the pull up seamlessly so he'll get no flak. Can't wait for the excuses. Scoped badly, didn't eat up, hated the ground. Be more talk about him than the winner.

Looking forward to decs. I plan on making a sizeable profit and if I don't I won't be blaming the turkey.

Whatever beats lostintranslation wins the KG

Prediction: The Cyrname bubble to be well and truly burst. Won't be in the first 3, might even be pulled up to save face. Reckon P. Nicholls has considered this. Hopefully Harry completes the pull up seamlessly so he'll get no flak. Can't wait for the excuses. Scoped badly, didn't eat up, hated the ground. Be more talk about him than the winner.

Looking forward to decs. I plan on making a sizeable profit and if I don't I won't be blaming the turkey.

Whatever beats lostintranslation wins the KG

I am getting worried for Slattsy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Lostintranslation will not lose. He'll outstay them on testing ground.

Cyrname won't stay and wont like the ground anyway.

Clan Des Obeaux won a shocking King George last year and his form overall isnt all that.

Footpad is the only threat to the Tizzard yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

There is nothing in Cyrname's form or breeding that would suggest he won't stay. Also Nickname's relish testing conditions. Cyrname is the real deal and he showed it last time out. Hard to fault Lostintranslation but he doesn't have the class of this fella. imo

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am getting worried for Slattsy now.

Me too!

Me too!

I reckon your safe enough, the last winner to try 3 miles for the first time was Kicking King and he had been placed at Down Royal. Different class.

Nicholls knows that this is the big race for Clan Des Obeaux, this has been his target since the Gold Cup. The Melling chase doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

I reckon your safe enough, the last winner to try 3 miles for the first time was Kicking King and he had been placed at Down Royal. Different class.

Nicholls knows that this is the big race for Clan Des Obeaux, this has been his target since the Gold Cup. The Melling chase doesn't count.

Some 'non stayers' have won it in the past though. Nobody thought Desert Orchid would stay before he won and Edredon Bleu certainly was another more recent example.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    Some 'non stayers' have won it in the past though. Nobody thought Desert Orchid would stay before he won and Edredon Bleu certainly was another more recent example.

I can't disagree, I would prefer to see him try it beforehand, that's all.

Is saying that Dessie is a bad example considering he was a chasing chaser.

The main point I am trying to make is that it won't be a common result given his profile. He may turn out to be a superstar, we will see.

Lads I am positively bullish re footpad 😊

Paul Kealy reckons I am mad... But I reckon he is a plank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Lost in translation for me all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

BumperD wrote: »
    Lost in translation for me all day long

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I think Cyrname, is a monster and wins here. Not sure i understand all the negativity. Will be on a plane so will miss the race :(. It is some king george though.

Obviously wouldnt even go to gold cup if he wins. Id like to see him in the Champion Chase if he goes to Cheltenham at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

aidankkk wrote: »
    I think Cyrname, is a monster and wins here. Not sure i understand all the negativity. Will be on a plane so will miss the race :(. It is some king george though.

Obviously wouldnt even go to gold cup if he wins. Id like to see him in the Champion Chase if he goes to Cheltenham at all.

South of France? Bunking with StingGoat? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

aidankkk wrote: »

Has to go to the Gold Cup if he wins. He’s trained by Nicholls so he probably will.

Interesting that Townend stays in Ireland. If Ruby was still riding you’d think he’d definitely be riding in the King George.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It seems people just want to see Cyrname beat for whatever reason. I think he's the real deal his jumping is flawless and I don't see any reason whatsoever why he won't stay.

Lostintranslation is a massive danger though so I'll just watch and enjoy.

Has to go to the Gold Cup if he wins. He’s trained by Nicholls so he probably will.

Interesting that Townend stays in Ireland. If Ruby was still riding you’d think he’d definitely be riding in the King George.

Daryl Jacob is the retained rider for the Munir's.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

Daryl Jacob is the retained rider for the Munir's.

Out injured atm

• Advertisement
Advertisement