Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

"Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes made of ticky tacky
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes all the same,
    There's a pink one and a green one
    And a blue one and a yellow one
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky
    And they all look just the same"

if a car company is using this song, to sell you it new car, and if its successful, and everyone goes out and buys the car, then by the very nature of it, wouldn't every car, look just the same, even though the add is telling you to be different???

forget the make and model of the car in question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭plodder

"Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes made of ticky tacky
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes all the same,
    There's a pink one and a green one
    And a blue one and a yellow one
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky
    And they all look just the same"

if a car company is using this song, to sell you it new car, and if its successful, and everyone goes out and buys the car, then by the very nature of it, wouldn't every car, look just the same, even though the add is telling you to be different???

forget the make and model of the car in question :)
    The juke box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

plodder wrote: »
    The juke box?

The Nissan Joke. Possibly one of the uglier SUVs on the market. Noddy car on steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The aer lingus ad backing track is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AR8lWlIc7s

if anyone was interested. I discovered this song on my grandads 78s vinyls a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Now all I need to hear is "Would m'lady care to dance?" and that's it. Christmas is here.

Was just played there. I do think it finishes stronger than it starts though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Now all I need to hear is "Would m'lady care to dance?" and that's it. Christmas is here.
    She just accepted the invitation and off they go to dance....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Please move if not in the right forum.

Has anyone heard the advert for the Suzuki Vitara on the radio?

Has to be, without question, the worst thing I've ever heard.

Premise is a guy going for the most important meeting of his life. But realises he has some spare time so says 'Lets play'. I was then expecting an advert for the Lottery or Paddy Power.

But no, the Suzuki Vitara.

Any other adverts that just scream 'should never made it past the storyboard'
    ??

Please move if not in the right forum.

Has anyone heard the advert for the Suzuki Vitara on the radio?

Has to be, without question, the worst thing I've ever heard.

Premise is a guy going for the most important meeting of his life. But realises he has some spare time so says 'Lets play'. I was then expecting an advert for the Lottery or Paddy Power.

But no, the Suzuki Vitara.

Any other adverts that just scream 'should never made it past the storyboard'
    ??

This one is covered in the “worst radio ads” thread but, if you see the ad on TV, it is a child doing the voiceover so it makes a little more sense.

The one on radio just sounds weird and unsettling.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This one is covered in the “worst radio ads” thread but, if you see the ad on TV, it is a child doing the voiceover so it makes a little more sense.

The one on radio just sounds weird and unsettling.

And the‘ Brendan Keenan’ type accent makes it worse.

The dude should be shot with bullets of oven-baked goat shïte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

There I was driving into work this am when the "are we there yet..." goat thingy came on. Followed straight away by the unctious and smarmy AIB eco ad when irelands most disreputable financial institute tries to convince us that they are pledging to be more eco friendly "every day". Jesus wept - thank god I have a CD player in my car, a library membership and loads of audiobooks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Those Wiltshire Farm Foods adds are so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

stoneill wrote: »
    Those Wiltshire Farm Foods adds are so bad.

They must be written by the same people who do a female version for pensioners who can't boil an egg or remember the name of the postman. Personally I enjoy the Wiltshire Farm Foods Ads as I try and imagine what Jimmy/Benny Hill/Pat Mustard are really delivering. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Just heard it there.

I've just heard these two in a row!

Griffith College stupid man / clever female robot setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Martin Gear Jewelers ....FIVE MAY RY STREET

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Tosser?

Have the tossers got a mention, plenty of them driving around our town, mostly in Hondas .

“I’m a tosser on my way to the most important meeting of my life..........Fairyhouse... I’ll just tailgate a few Citizens on the way and annoy them”

Tossers.

Honda's .?:confused:

Yeah.... little runts with big ‘lollipop’ heads on them looking out thru the steering wheel.

Need a good shoeing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The An Post ads with the young wan: Dada, communidy, sociedy, fordy. Does someone listen to these and say "yes, dat sounds gread, pud id on air"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just heard the Barry's train ad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,928 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Is there a Gaiety Panto this year? I haven't heard that yet.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Cabra Cabra, Ongar Ongar... oh **** off! (Nitelink ad...I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Dan Jaman wrote: »

Oh yes there is ! It;s no ordinary Pantow its de Gayedee Pantow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Dan Jaman wrote: »

Lucky you

Barna77 wrote: »

Just came on to mention this. It's just over, feels like it started 45 mins ago.

Although it does make me laugh that you can hear his missus giving out to him. It's a stressful time, Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah that Barry's ad is great - one of the better Christmas ads, to be fair.

Other companies trying to mimic it aren't really pulling it off though.

There is a similar style for a voucher for the Europa hotel. My rewritten version:

"The Europa", she gasped, turning the voucher over in her hands. "Jesus, a f**king voucher, seriously. You have no imagination at all."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

i really hate the barrys add, and im not alone. :) the europa add is brutal as well.

camel and jambo can fupp off as well..

(bah humbug! :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's so long ago that I can't remember whether this was a radio Ad too but it's from the same feel-good school as the Barry's Tea Ad. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. :D

camel and jambo can fupp off as well..

I’ve heard Neil Delamere doesn’t like people asking him about being the “voice” of the goat.

To be fair, it does sound a lot like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"It's the height of the troubles and some RA lad has come home to find that the worst has happened... somebody has killed his cat"

Yeah, sounds like a load of rubbish to be honest.

"It's the height of the troubles and some RA lad has come home to find that the worst has happened... somebody has killed his cat"

Yeah, sounds like a load of rubbish to be honest.

That play (surprisingly) got good reviews in the past, I'd go with reviews or word of mouth before believing any ad telling me that it's "hilarious", esp at those ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jammer jammer jammer ..jammer.ie.........:mad::mad:

And she had the harness ready.....ready for whaaaa.....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barna77 wrote: »

Can anyone remember when this ad first aired? It feels like it's been going for at least 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can anyone remember when this ad first aired? It feels like it's been going for at least 15 years.

At least double that I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1994. 25 years this year.

Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yikes! I was going to say 20 years, but thought that sounded too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

There's an ad for Kileen Castle golf classes, the pro golfer featured sounds like he was recorded with a traffic cone over his head, sounds very cheap

What the flip is a homeless communidy?

What the flip is a homeless communidy?

A growth industry Donie, aided and abetted by a coterie with 1% support in the Dáil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Macdarack wrote: »
    There's an ad for Kileen Castle golf classes, the pro golfer featured sounds like he was recorded with a traffic cone over his head, sounds very cheap

Literally dialling it in. And putting a bed of classical music under it does nothing to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That Tony Cascarino ad promoting gambling really annoys me, "lets check with VAR, yes it's ten euwo".

Every time you start up Newstalk on iradio the ad is played. Kind of ironic given that Newstalk considers itself the moral conscience of Irish society that they should be getting their money from an industry that does such damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

Most radio ads are incredibly annoying. Especially when trying to sell something they insert some silly narrative with a terrible voice actor. Made even worse when it's a child actor.

And the Barry's tea ad makes me want to repeatedly bang my head on the nearest wall. So incredibly lame. Drink Lyons!

Macdarack wrote: »

Awful, especially for classes that are presumably NOT cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭plodder

That Tony Cascarino ad promoting gambling really annoys me, "lets check with VAR, yes it's ten euwo".

Every time you start up Newstalk on iradio the ad is played. Kind of ironic given that Newstalk considers itself the moral conscience of Irish society that they should be getting their money from an industry that does such damage.
    Is that not just an ad for Sky Sports? I don't see the gambling connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

plodder wrote: »
    Is that not just an ad for Sky Sports? I don't see the gambling connection.

Admittedly I haven't seen the ad, but it sounds like this is the gambling connection:

"Let's check with VAR" = you're watching football

"Yes it's ten euro" = you have won money gambling based on the outcome (as opposed to just being happy because Liverpool or whoever are now 1-0 up)

It's so insidious, we hardly notice it any more. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fricatus wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't seen the ad, but it sounds like this is the gambling connection:

"Let's check with VAR" = you're watching football

"Yes it's ten euro" = you have won money gambling based on the outcome (as opposed to just being happy because Liverpool or whoever are now 1-0 up)

It's so insidious, we hardly notice it any more. :mad:

It's for now TV - day passes cost a tenner.

Still an annoying as feck ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rub a Dub

Wakey Wakey kids. Rise and shine!

Leopardstown xmas races. Shoot me now.

Rub a Dub wrote: »

I do sort of enjoy that, parents getting back at annoying Xmas morning kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

Rub a Dub wrote: »

Ah it's a Leopardstown ad. I nearly broke the radio at work punching the off button before it got that far. How much of a twat do you have to be to come up with something as horrendous as this ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I do sort of enjoy that, parents getting back at annoying Xmas morning kids.

Took me minute to cop onto it, thought it was quite good myself tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

One for the anoracks.

Bargaintown advert wishing everyone a happy Christmas.

They are getting great value from the production. It was made back in 1987 and voices are Bill "hot hits" Cunningham and Martin Block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement