Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horrendous delay

Options
  • 06-12-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Tonight’s flight from Dublin to Southend is delayed by “approximately two hours” allegedly due to the late arrival of an inbound aircraft.

The flight was showing as on time when I left from my home twenty minutes from the airport — and it was “Go to gate” until a few minutes ago.

Is someone telling porkies? Do FR not have spare frames in DUB at this time of year?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Two hours is not really horrendous, it’s a SEN based aircraft and crew so the flight has to originate from there first. The aircraft was on a rotation to Malaga earlier and got stuck with a slot delay due to the French ATC strike, so no porkies, the flight should arrive into DUB around 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

So it’s not just SEN — the 7:00pm Malaga flight has just started boarding, three hours and change late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yes that had a crazy slot too due to the ATC strike, the aircraft is Malaga based also

billie1b wrote: »
    Two hours is not really horrendous

I think that’s subjective TBH.

The delay is approaching twice the duration of the flight and barring surprises it’ll land after the last train to London.

Thanks for the info anyway.

No airline in the world has spare planes on standby everywhere. Kid they did you would be paying a hugely increased air fare. When a technical problem arises last moment the airplane simply cannot fly until it has been serviced. There might be an incoming plane that can be put to service your flight within two hours. Planes are highly sophisticated electronic & mechanical machines, they develop faults, and a safety-conscious airline like Ryanair simply will not let a plane with a fault fly.

Hope you get to your destination without any further delay, but when flying you need a lot of patience.

• Advertisement

No airline in the world has spare planes on standby everywhere.

Of course — I had in my head that there must be spares in DUB, but when another poster pointed out it’s a SEN frame things made more sense. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Flight landing in 5 minutes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Horrendous delay thread thinly veiled as a 'will I get compensation for the delay' thread?! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Looking at FR24 it got stuck in Malaga for 2 hours before coming back to Southend - probably due to the French strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Noxegon wrote: »
    I think that’s subjective TBH.

The delay is approaching twice the duration of the flight and barring surprises it’ll land after the last train to London.

Thanks for the info anyway.

In that case why not fly to one of the London airports?

• Advertisement

uchimata83 wrote: »
    In that case why not fly to one of the London airports?

Southend plus the train to Liverpool Street was about a quarter of the cost of Heathrow and (almost) as convenient for my destination.
    Horrendous delay thread thinly veiled as a 'will I get compensation for the delay' thread?! :P :D

No actually, I’m very aware of what my rights are and a final arrival delay of 1h40 means Sierra Foxtrot Alpha.

As for my use of the word horrendous, I’d reiterate the subjectivity; I do more flights than I care to think about and don’t recall being delayed for more than an hour in a long tine. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

With the benefit of a cooler head I think I would have been far less irritated if the delay had been announced before the flight went “go to gate”, as ought to have been possible; I’d have passed the time at home instead of the luxurious comfort of the 100 gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Southend plus the train to Liverpool Street was about a quarter of the cost of Heathrow and (almost) as convenient for my destination.

Heathrow is a different airline. In a different city.

Delays notwithstanding Southend to my target in London was about ten minutes slower than Heathrow — and I’ve just realised that my earlier figure didn’t include the train from Heathrow, so the cost savings were even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Delays notwithstanding Southend to my target in London was about ten minutes slower than Heathrow — and I’ve just realised that my earlier figure didn’t include the train from Heathrow, so the cost savings were even better.

The Southend service is a good one, I was travelling to Basingstoke for work a couple of years back on and off and that was the best way to get there, well priced too. It was on time everytime except when a big storm blew through, but we still got back to Dublin only an hour or so late, lots of cancellations out of all the London(ish) airports that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Was also on this flight. A bus service direct to canning town and Victoria was provided outside the terminal at Southend. French air traffic control strike so beyond their control really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Speaking of horrendous delays, FR9853 LGW - Cork had a mind numbing 4 hour delay yesterday.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/fr9853#231bdb15

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-evn#231aa992

Looks like the plane got delayed earlier heading from Lanzarote to Cork which was a knock on.

Still, compensation for the passengers or did Ryanair decide strikes do not merit anything? Or is this a case where you could win because a previous flight got delayed, not technically yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I have to say I’m enjoying this topic and now have a wry smile, whereby “Horrendous“ has now crept from 2 hours to 4. :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I have to say I’m enjoying this topic and now have a wry smile, whereby “Horrendous“ has now crept from 2 hours to 4. :D

I was half thinking that it might be fun to develop a scale of terms for the purpose. To start with, how about irrelevant (<15 minutes), Aer Lingus (~1 hour), infuriating (2 hours 55 minutes), ch-ching (3 hours)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

"Woohoo extra days holiday" or "Waah one day less holiday" for overnight delays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I was half thinking that it might be fun to develop a scale of terms for the purpose. To start with, how about irrelevant (<15 minutes), Aer Lingus (~1 hour), infuriating (2 hours 55 minutes), ch-ching (3 hours)...

Horrendous, is been delayed 42 hours. Night one was spent attempting to get some sleep with fighting couples and screaming babies.
    Anything after that is tolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you are going to be pedantic, better get it right. Neither of them is in a city. Heathrow is in the London borough of Hillingdon which is part of the Greater London ceremonial county and not a city!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Getting stuck overnight in the US was horrendous, I got stuck in Philly, due to snowstorms and put up in the most horrific Days Inn, in the Philly suburb, Chester. It was filthy, with bed bugs, roaches, and gunfire going off outside the window periodically, the bus driver said don't leave the hotel if you value your life, lol. Ended up being a 24 hour delay as I got the same AA flight to Dublin out the next night.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g52351-d216917-Reviews-Days_Inn_by_Wyndham_Chester_Philadelphia_Airport-Chester_Pennsylvania.html#REVIEWS

Sad fact is I could have had my company pay for the Mariott at the airport but didn't realise I would end up in such an absolute shíthole, and being a good corporate citizen assumed the hotel AA provided for free would be grand for spending a night in, how wrong was I.

Only the best Bed Bugs:

lpV5wtM.png

Advertisement