Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Be glad they don't put Jonathan Healy or Henry McKean behind the microphone when Sean's away...

Jonathan's already doing 3 hours daily for P Kenny. He's good but he's not that good.......:pac:

I could imagine the AA traffic announcer coming in to rescue Henry after a few minutes bless him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bring back Jerry O`Sullivan as cover for Sean, yeah I know he's gone back to Kerry, but he is one of the few people who could strike the balance of conducting serious interviews well and being a bit of craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Had misfortune to hear the 'So you think you're an adult' slot yesterday....mother of jesus. Didn't start well with Amanda Brunker not realising that Menorca, rather than being an affected way people with notions pronounce Majorca was in fact an entirely different island (she had the good grace to admit it was a bit of a blonde moment) and went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone actually follows their advice but they should cut the pretence and just call it the "all about me" segment where we get to hear Amanda's life experiences and how we can all learn from them. Appreciate in here and in other threads that there must be a bit of the narcissist in people to have them out on the airwaves voicing their opinion but so many of the most successful contributors to Sean's show in the past (Paolo and David Carey for instance) have had so much more experience but didn't feel the need to make everything about them. Don't know who the other lady was in the segment but she was a hard listen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

robbe wrote: »
    Had misfortune to hear the 'So you think you're an adult' slot yesterday....mother of jesus. Didn't start well with Amanda Brunker not realising that Menorca, rather than being an affected way people with notions pronounce Majorca was in fact an entirely different island (she had the good grace to admit it was a bit of a blonde moment) and went downhill from there.

I can't imagine anyone actually follows their advice but they should cut the pretence and just call it the "all about me" segment where we get to hear Amanda's life experiences and how we can all learn from them. Appreciate in here and in other threads that there must be a bit of the narcissist in people to have them out on the airwaves voicing their opinion but so many of the most successful contributors to Sean's show in the past (Paolo and David Carey for instance) have had so much more experience but didn't feel the need to make everything about them. Don't know who the other lady was in the segment but she was a hard listen as well.

Jaysus, I thought she was bad, but that's shocking!

Please please tell me this is just summer sticking-plaster stuff until Barbara and Brendan return???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

I really dislike Amanda Brunker. what is it that she actually does? how has she come to get these fill-in slots. She is a complete muppet.

I remember a few years back at Oxegen, one of the acts cancelled and they had Amanda Brunker on stage to fill the time. why? why? why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheShow wrote: »
    I really dislike Amanda Brunker. what is it that she actually does? how has she come to get these fill-in slots. She is a complete muppet.

I remember a few years back at Oxegen, one of the acts cancelled and they had Amanda Brunker on stage to fill the time. why? why? why?

Celebrity MILF is the job description I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Celebrity MILF is the job description I'd say.

the two words I have an issue with are "Celebrity" & "MILF" she is neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

WTF is this sh1te, 20 minutes of some dope who married her dog

JJayoo wrote: »
    WTF is this sh1te, 20 minutes of some dope who married her dog

New listener are you?

That wedding was held with the Moncrieff show in mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

You hear enough about f*cking Brexit, homelessness, the health service and Trump's latest buffoonery most other hours on Newstalk, these whimsical pieces are a welcome change from all that drudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Fcuk me I've heard it all now.

Question into the wine guy on Movies and Booze "I'm breaking up with my boyfriend tonight and want you to recommend a nice red wine, rich and full bodied, that I can have after I break the bad news to him"

I assume that was a p1ss take but yer man advised some red wine for €80 a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

BPKS wrote: »
    Fcuk me I've heard it all now.

Question into the wine guy on Movies and Booze "I'm breaking up with my boyfriend tonight and want you to recommend a nice red wine, rich and full bodied, that I can have after I break the bad news to him"

I assume that was a p1ss take but yer man advised some red wine for €80 a bottle

Friday's are notoriously light hearted on Moncrieff. It's fun and good natured.

As an aside....Tomas Clancy is just epic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sean just thanked everyone who worked on the show today like he always does. He thanked Robert zimmerman. Was he joking or is there really a Robert zimmerman working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,936 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

any chance the wine lady could lay off the wine all morning before coming on the show ? she sounds very drunk. fairly embarrassing stuff

2smiggy wrote: »
    any chance the wine lady could lay off the wine all morning before coming on the show ? she sounds very drunk. fairly embarrassing stuff
    Have often thought that, but maybe it's just her way of speaking?

Still, you'd want to be fairly sure of your genes to go into her line of work.

I remember another Irish sommelier on TV a few years back, saying without any compunction that she drinks a bottle of wine a day. She didn't see an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

realised while listening on friday, Tom Dunne seems to be a much better interviewer, found him to go with the flow of the conversation much better than Sean would, who seems to just read the questions in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

realised while listening on friday, Tom Dunne seems to be a much better interviewer, found him to go with the flow of the conversation much better than Sean would, who seems to just read the questions in front of him.

I think Tom's biggest failing is that he is a terrible interviewer, which is the main reason why his daytime show failed. Moncrieff is infinitely better at it.

Tom has a hard-on for any musos that turn up and tries to crowbar something in about his family and kids wherever possible. He doesn't bother with the intro weird news bit either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ahwell wrote: »
    I think Tom's biggest failing is that he is a terrible interviewer, which is the main reason why his daytime show failed. Moncrieff is infinitely better at it.

I'm fairly sure Tom knows this as I thought he mentioned how much he hated doing that show.

Tom was brilliant filling in for Ray Darcy around 2007/8, but that morning show was dull beyond belief, he is a good stand in when Sean is away, but he's not as good interviewer as Sean.

• Advertisement

Tom was brilliant filling in for Ray Darcy around 2007/8, but that morning show was dull beyond belief, he is a good stand in when Sean is away, but he's not as good interviewer as Sean.

Agree, he sounds like he's working at the weird bizarre interviews which Sean is so good at.

Tom is a music aficionado through and through. Get the feeling he absolutely loves his night time show. (I wonder what do he and Dave Fanning talk about when they meet :rolleyes: )

Tom with an Electric Picnic slot, quelle surprise.

i take that back. jeeeeeezzz.

someone really must have pissed on Sean's cornflakes this morning. the sarkyness is brutal.

on another note, his first guest brought some research she had done about abortion services, that the people availing of it are mostly middle class, mostly white...
    just found the phrase 'mostly white' a bit strange, in a country where the people are mostly white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Someone dared criticise Roe McDermott, his guest before So You Think You're an Adult

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Agree, he sounds like he's working at the weird bizarre interviews which Sean is so good at.

Tom is a music aficionado through and through. Get the feeling he absolutely loves his night time show. (I wonder what do he and Dave Fanning talk about when they meet :rolleyes: )

Yeah I think they could do with trying someone else out as Sean's stand in. I don't think it works for anyone when Tom stands in, and I very much like Tom (in his own show).

I suppose the difficulty is finding someone. Tom's there anyway as he's doing his show and his stand in, Richie, is also there anyway as he works on Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Count Binface gets my vote!

"Why an American would copyright the name Lord Buckethead?"
    "That's for you journalists to find out"
    Priceless :D

Amanda Brunker on the problems slot, clearly off her face.
    How is this woman a celebrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Amanda Brunker on the problems slot, clearly off her face.
    How is this woman a celebrity?
    A looker with a decent set of cans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jeez - talk of scraping the barrel. Tom Dunne on for Moncrieff and the best that he can come up with is two salts of de earth who have put in a home bar. Hold the presses...:rolleyes:

Advertisement