Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

So all vaccines are not safe then. What about the "emotional terrorists" that the ex HSE chief told us about?

Interesting to see if RTE extend their reporting to people who have suffered with issues from other vaccines or is that still taboo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

elperello wrote: »
    Just for a moment consider that those ads are not aimed at you.
    You are generously giving to charities so you are not the target.
    They are trying to reach those who do not donate.

They are counter productive after a while. You start to resent them, it's like the RSA ads that my kids just switch off..
    So all vaccines are not safe then. What about the "emotional terrorists" that the ex HSE chief told us about?

Interesting to see if RTE extend their reporting to people who have suffered with issues from other vaccines or is that still taboo?

Sean sounds a bit skeptical re the narcolepsy. She does come across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Is narcolepsy the new whiplash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭plodder

MMR is safe. I imagine that's what they were referring to.

There's always going to be questions about new vaccines and it seems like they are justified for that swine flu jab. Though the manufacturer is still saying there's no proof of a causal link.

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/the-bmj-questions-transparency-of-information-surrounding-safety-of-pandemrix-swine-flu-vaccine/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Callan57 wrote: »
    Is narcolepsy the new whiplash?
    Ya could get whiplash from narcolepsy . If you thinking of a Bailey !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

has gemmaroid jumped on the vaccine thing yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

plodder wrote: »
    There's always going to be questions about new vaccines and it seems like they are justified for that swine flu jab. Though the manufacturer is still saying there's no proof of a causal link.
    I don't get why the Department of Health gets sued in these cases anyway. The legal action should start and end with the manufacturer. It's not as if the Department of Health has made the drug.

An outbreak of (something) happens. The government asks drug manufacturers if they have a vaccine. A manufacturer comes along with a vaccine, that they declare is safe and that has been passed by the EMA, the government buys it and supplies it to the populace.

The manufacturer presumably has reassured the government that the vaccine is safe. The government should then say, right, any legal cases resulting from side-effects, you pay out.

I had started to post all this and then I went looking for more information. I found this:
    The vaccine was licensed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) on June 20th, 2009 – just four months after the World Health Organisation declared a swine flu pandemic. At the time there was considerable fear about the potential for the new swine flu strain (H1N1) to cause serious illness and death. The process was much speedier than the normal assessment and licensing period for new vaccines.

In Europe one element of the accelerated process was an agreement to grant licences to pandemic vaccines based on data from pre-pandemic “mock-up” vaccines produced using a different virus. Another element, adopted by Ireland and other countries, including Canada, France and Germany, was to provide vaccine manufacturers indemnity from liability for wrongdoing, thereby reducing the risk of a lawsuit stemming from vaccine-related injury.
    The Irish Times also asks a number of questions at the end of the article. Among them:
    Were [patients] given sufficient information to enable them to make an informed consent about taking the vaccine?

Is it reasonable and ethical to take shortcuts with the approval of medicines in the context of a global health emergency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭plodder

Is it reasonable and ethical to take shortcuts with the approval of medicines in the context of a global health emergency?
    The WHO got it wrong big time on this occasion, but we didn't know that at the time. There was a lot of talk of a pandemic that could have killed millions. In future, they won't be as quick to approve them I guess.

plodder wrote: »
    The WHO got it wrong big time on this occasion, but we didn't know that at the time. There was a lot of talk of a pandemic that could have killed millions. In future, they won't be as quick to approve them I guess.
    But will taking longer to approve the drug (to reduce the possibility of side-effects) result in thousands more deaths? This is the ethical dilemma.

In a future case, I can't see the outcome being any different than it was for Swine Flu. There may be too many lives at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't get why the Department of Health gets sued in these cases anyway. The legal action should start and end with the manufacturer. It's not as if the Department of Health has made the drug.

An outbreak of (something) happens. The government asks drug manufacturers if they have a vaccine. A manufacturer comes along with a vaccine, that they declare is safe and that has been passed by the EMA, the government buys it and supplies it to the populace.

The manufacturer presumably has reassured the government that the vaccine is safe. The government should then say, right, any legal cases resulting from side-effects, you pay out.

I had started to post all this and then I went looking for more information. I found this:

The Irish Times also asks a number of questions at the end of the article. Among them:

The patient has no contract with the drug manufacturer. The Department does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Thought the government indemnified the vaccine manufacturer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Dublin skanger FM. I'm intiltled to a gaff ;).

Dublin skanger FM. I'm intiltled to a gaff ;).
    So what do you think should be done with the homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Nice to see that Eoin O'Broin is as deluded as ever. Seems to adhere to the idea that if you keep saying the same thing, then it'll come true for you.

Sarah Carey has a problem with people lying, and nobody challenges on her own lying to the Tribunal. Sean, can you please ask Sarah Carey when she changed her position on whether lying is acceptable or not.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Nice to see that Eoin O'Broin is as deluded as ever. Seems to adhere to the idea that if you keep saying the same thing, then it'll come true for you.
    Its like he is in his own Cult .

BarryD2 wrote: »

I don't like O'Broin or his party, but he is a good speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That woman in the tech gadget item had no manners whatsoever, she kept pointing out flaws and features in whatever the other guy was reviewing as he spoke.

A real little Miss. Know-it-all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

That's what 8k a year in school fees for Blackrock gets you

jay0109 wrote: »
    That's what 8k a year in school fees for Blackrock gets you
    Any Cordite with that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

just as well as he speaks pure unadulterated crap the vast majority of the time .

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    just as well as he speaks pure unadulterated crap the vast majority of the time .
    He speaks it well though .

If theres one thing the PoGormans pieces from the courts show us ,its the complete inaction being taken by the judges.

If theres one thing the PoGormans pieces from the courts show us ,its the complete inaction being taken by the judges.

I was struck by the comment, “got six months, served three weeks”. Now, I’ve heard about a discount on the tariff, but I didn’t realise it was that much.

I was struck by the comment, “got six months, served three weeks”. Now, I’ve heard about a discount on the tariff, but I didn’t realise it was that much.
    Have you heard about overcrowding in prisons?

That, I suspect, may be the reason for such a heavy discount.

Next it will be a 'Bonus 3 weeks somewhere of their choice "

serfboard wrote: »
    Have you heard about overcrowding in prisons?

That, I suspect, may be the reason for such a heavy discount.

Then it seems to me that the whole exercise becomes pretty pointless.

Put them in the Dail with the other Crooks .

Then it seems to me that the whole exercise becomes pretty pointless.

But we cannot build more new prisons...that would be a backward, regressive step apparently!

jay0109 wrote: »
    But we cannot build more new prisons...that would be a backward, regressive step apparently!

I don’t think that building more prisons is the answer. By the time anyone goes to prison for a relatively minor offence, or more likely the fifteenth relatively minor offence, they will have “gone through the system” of cautions, fines (which they can’t/won’t pay) probation, community service, etc. The prison sentence is the inevitable outcome of this train ride through the criminal justice system.

Clearly, I think I understand the problem - I just don’t know what the solution is. It wasn’t the “short, sharp shock”, tried in the UK in Maggie Thatcher’s time; this descended into abuse and neglect on an industrial scale.

Answers on a postcard, please, to Charlie Flanagan...

• Advertisement

Some people are just bad. They won't change. Locking them to protect society is necessary.

Build even just the one new prison Charley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I don’t think that building more prisons is the answer. By the time anyone goes to prison for a relatively minor offence, or more likely the fifteenth relatively minor offence, they will have “gone through the system” of cautions, fines (which they can’t/won’t pay) probation, community service, etc. The prison sentence is the inevitable outcome of this train ride through the criminal justice system.

Clearly, I think I understand the problem - I just don’t know what the solution is. It wasn’t the “short, sharp shock”, tried in the UK in Maggie Thatcher’s time; this descended into abuse and neglect on an industrial scale.

Answers on a postcard, please, to Charlie Flanagan...

The Pocket..... hit them in the pocket...... only thing some understand.... cut the financial cord.... nobody will die.....offer food stamps..... that will soften their cough........ wake the fuuuherke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Just listen to any of O'Gormans reports to see the huge waste of time and money in our" justice" system.

Full of pond life.....and crap with the legal dudes making shedloads of dosh.

Which is why they will never call time on this shocking waste of time and money !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Paddy O G show pisses me off big time. He glorifies a shower of 'scumbags looking for justice'.

Ah shur, twas only a bit of ,

Stealing
    Drink driving
    Shoplifting
    Baytin de wife
    Bit o' hash in the pocket, (no harm in that)
    Shoplifting in Penneys, Dunnes, Tesco
    etc.

sligojoek wrote: »
    The Paddy O G show pisses me off big time. He glorifies a shower of 'scumbags looking for justice'.

Stealing
    Drink driving
    Shoplifting
    Baytin de wife
    etc.

One particular knut today,"it was only a bit of stealing, took a bike ,but it wasnt me " . As someone said earlier,take their dole,that'll fix a lot of the problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

One particular knut today,"it was only a bit of stealing, took a bike ,but it wasnt me " . As someone said earlier,take their dole,that'll fix a lot of the problems.

He took the bike but he didn 't steal it. That made everything OK

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Stealing
    Drink driving
    Shoplifting
    Baytin de wife
    etc.

In fairness to Paddy he has to be non judgemental ...otherwise nobody would talk to him.

I get your point though....and I share your view re the pond life that usually gob on air !

The O'Gorman segment is worth it thouh...for the light it shines on this murky dysfunctional area.

Think of the amount of Garda time that is taken up with this type of crap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Stealing
    Drink driving
    Shoplifting
    Baytin de wife
    etc.

Janey, i take a whole opposite view of Paddy's reports. He lets the interviewee expose themselves as feckless, reckless wasters that are in no fear of the limp judicial system.

Occasionally Paddy gives a half hearted "let's hope they can sort themselves out".
    But in no way do i ever get the impression Paddy is tugging on heart strings and giving the ol' saw of "There but for the grace of god" guff.

He certainly stands back and doesn't judge or condemn. He doesn't need to. The content is enough.

Great radio imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

humberklog wrote: »
    Janey, i take a whole opposite view of Paddy's reports. He lets the interviewee expose themselves as feckless, reckless wasters that are in no fear of the limp judicial system.

Occasionally Paddy gives a half hearted "let's hope they can sort themselves out".
    But in no way do i ever get the impression Paddy is tugging on heart strings and giving the ol' saw of "There but for the grace of god" guff.

He certainly stands back and doesn't judge or condemn. He doesn't need to. The content is enough.

Great radio imo.

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Damo handling this well

Letting guests speak uninterrupted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sean back yesterday after nearly 3 weeks off. Countdown on until he retires in the summer i presume. With presumably another 4-5 weeks off it won't be long for him now.

Badabing wrote: »
    Sean back yesterday after nearly 3 weeks off. Countdown on until he retires in the summer i presume. With presumably another 4-5 weeks off it won't be long for him now.

With the news today that RTÉ have been ordered to pay €100K to a staff member who was made retire at 65, might not be certain he will retire (unless he wants to, I guess).

Story: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-to-pay-former-producer-100-000-over-forced-retirement-1.4134338

dulpit wrote: »
    With the news today that RTÉ have been ordered to pay €100K to a staff member who was made retire at 65, might not be certain he will retire (unless he wants to, I guess).

Story: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-to-pay-former-producer-100-000-over-forced-retirement-1.4134338

Poor Larry Gogan will be the norm rather than the exception if this stuff fails to be overturned on appeal.

They will need the whole place to be re-vamped to accommodate the wheelchairs.

Crazy stuff.

Poor Larry Gogan will be the norm rather than the exception if this stuff fails to be overturned on appeal.

They will need the whole place to be re-vamped to accommodate the wheelchairs.

Crazy stuff.

From listening back to Sean talk about this the other day I think he's counting down the days to his retirement already...

dulpit wrote: »
    From listening back to Sean talk about this the other day I think he's counting down the days to his retirement already...

If he has any sense, that’s what he’s doing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Polar101

Good to have Sean back, listened to the Richard Bruton interview (done by the stand-in) on Monday and it was pretty dreadful.. "to be fair, that sounds like rubbish! I have a text here from Tim in Wexford and he too says it is rubbish!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,022 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Meehole in full electioneering mode, he'll bite Sean any minute now
    FF leader says "the election is now on"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Garbage talk now about the "Royal" family. Absolute trash! Talk about real news please.

sligeach wrote: »
    Garbage talk now about the "Royal" family. Absolute trash! Talk about real news please.

Maybe to you but there are plenty interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,022 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone listening to Regina Doherty now? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement